Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E16: The Good Lawyer

• Start Topic

Not bad but as others have said, I’m not sure I’ll continue to watch.  I did like the actress playing Joni which might bring me back.  

While I would certainly have sympathy for someone who lost their hand, when he testified I kept thinking, “Dude, Bethany Hamilton gave birth to and cared for three babies with only one arm.  I think you can manage to hold your niece.”

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

As soon as I saw her touching all her things in her closet office, I was like "Hello backdoor pilot!", even though I hadn't heard anything about it before. Do they really need to make it this obvious?

I guess this time they are not copying the korean show (Extraordinary Attorney Woo) 1:1, but putting a little bit of a different spin on it with the OCD.

Edited by PurpleTentacle
  • Like 1
On 3/14/2023 at 4:02 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

Ah, I had forgotten about Felicity Huffman…..she’s a good actor imo, and has done her time, so I’m ok with her.  

That was Felicity Huffman? Man the plastic surgeons have done a number on her...

On 3/14/2023 at 10:02 AM, circumvent said:

I have mixed feelings about Felicity Huffman. Yes, she did her time but it is her privilege that leads us to shrug and say "she did her time. Most people who did their time go right back to jail because they cannot pay the many fees the prison system charges them, and they cannot get housing and a job. I am very close to being an abolitionist, except for white collar crimes, including crimes committed by politicians. Because of that, I have a hard time having any sympathy for her. "she did her time" is a explanation for forgiving her crime of entitlement. I do not fall for that. People who don't even commit crimes are rotting in prison because they don't have her privilege and visibility. I would prefer to never see her working on the screen again.

Because the american prison industrial complex is horrible for most people, we should also be horrible to the people who made it out relatively unscathed? That doesn't sound like a solution, that sounds like piling on problems.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
12 hours ago, PurpleTentacle said:

Because the american prison industrial complex is horrible for most people, we should also be horrible to the people who made it out relatively unscathed? That doesn't sound like a solution, that sounds like piling on problems.

The rest of my statement is about how I am pretty close to being an abolitionist, except for white collar crimes. The solution is not to be horrible to people who are doing just fine after they leave. But that doesn't mean that we need to celebrate white collar criminals either. Getting the same job she had before, maybe even getting to the same place she was before, is a celebration of her as an actor, and the reason she did what she did was because she is an actor that made a lot of money that she used to buy a placement for her kid. I don't think she is an exceptional actor but she is a celebrity, she will be celebrated again as a "come back kid". She might even get a nomination or two in the near future. I do object to that for the reasons I cited above: it was a white collar job and the whole thing will turn into a celebration of her, which is disgusting. Not seeing her in front of the cameras would be a an improvement on the system

To reinforce: I have no problems whatsoever if the problems of white collar criminals are piling on. The more, the better for humanity. 

• Like 2

She seemed so familiar to me, but I did not realize that was Felicity Huffman until I came here.  She looks different somehow?  To me at least.

I liked the actress playing Joni - maybe I would watch the series.

How do I feel about Huffman?

She did a shitty thing. but at least she fully admitted what she did wrong and cooperated with authorities and served her time without any drama.  Lori Loughlin on the other hand, doubled-down on the fact that she and her hubby did nothing wrong, so I am far less likely to be ok watching her in anything.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Mvnl said:

Was I the only one thinking Shaun had been sued by Jared's boss at the end of the last episode?
Was that supposed to be what we thought?

No, I thought the same thing and I was so shocked when I saw that wasn't the case.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, aemom said:

No, I thought the same thing and I was so shocked when I saw that wasn't the case.

I actually wondered if I'd missed an episode for a second. That was very confusing timing unless they wanted to misdirect us for whatever reason!

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
On 3/18/2023 at 5:54 AM, circumvent said:

The rest of my statement is about how I am pretty close to being an abolitionist, except for white collar crimes. The solution is not to be horrible to people who are doing just fine after they leave. But that doesn't mean that we need to celebrate white collar criminals either. Getting the same job she had before, maybe even getting to the same place she was before, is a celebration of her as an actor, and the reason she did what she did was because she is an actor that made a lot of money that she used to buy a placement for her kid. I don't think she is an exceptional actor but she is a celebrity, she will be celebrated again as a "come back kid". She might even get a nomination or two in the near future. I do object to that for the reasons I cited above: it was a white collar job and the whole thing will turn into a celebration of her, which is disgusting. Not seeing her in front of the cameras would be a an improvement on the system

To reinforce: I have no problems whatsoever if the problems of white collar criminals are piling on. The more, the better for humanity. 

So because she committed a non-violent crime and then served her time she should be punished for the rest of her life? Her getting to work again is not about "celebrating" her. She has a right to work in her chosen profession as anyone else.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

So because she committed a non-violent crime and then served her time she should be punished for the rest of her life? Her getting to work again is not about "celebrating" her. She has a right to work in her chosen profession as anyone else.

Like I said, white collar crimes are the worst, imo.  Working a different job is not punishment. She is doing exactly what she was doing before, I question if she actually learned anything. It is not punishment when she can still work other jobs. 

As for her crime, it wasn't violent but some violent crimes are sometimes also explainable, the ones perpetrating them are not necessarily violent human beings. They might have had a terrible experience as well. 

I could go on but will not. I am sure she is just fine since she seems to value money and status above all. She hasn't lost any of those, she will still work and will be interviewed as if she is "making a remarkable come back". She will put her mask as a repentant victim of the system. In my book, she is still a criminal that should be shunned because her crime was a white collar one

• Like 1
8 hours ago, circumvent said:

Like I said, white collar crimes are the worst, imo.  Working a different job is not punishment. She is doing exactly what she was doing before, I question if she actually learned anything. It is not punishment when she can still work other jobs. 

As for her crime, it wasn't violent but some violent crimes are sometimes also explainable, the ones perpetrating them are not necessarily violent human beings. They might have had a terrible experience as well. 

I could go on but will not. I am sure she is just fine since she seems to value money and status above all. She hasn't lost any of those, she will still work and will be interviewed as if she is "making a remarkable come back". She will put her mask as a repentant victim of the system. In my book, she is still a criminal that should be shunned because her crime was a white collar one

Wow. I know a lot of people hate white privilege, but to say white collar criminals are the worst? So to you a woman who cheats and tries to get her kid into a good college is worst than Jeffrey Dahmer? White collar criminals are worse than serial killers or child molesters?

Most criminals generally have some reason for doing what they did. Not all are horrible or irredeemable. Blanket generalities don’t really work in a complicated world.

This woman was literally punished for what she did. She went to jail and, I believe, paid a fine. I don’t care if it was some swanky, rich prison. She was punished for the crime she committed. You may not consider not doing what you love a punishment, but many do. I know in this day and age of cancel culture and social media mobs thinking they have the right to pass sentence on people, but that’s not the way it works. If, as an individual, you want to hate and judge her and not watch anything she does, that’s your right. Just like it’s the right of any casting director/production not to hire her. But it’s not anyone’s right to ban her from working permanently at any job she wants.

You don’t know her, yet for some reason you’ve decided she’s the scum of the Earth and has no remorse. Just because she tried to get her kid into the college she wanted doesn’t mean she valued money and power above everything. And she did lose money and status. Like I said, there’s the fine she paid and the lost work over these last few years. The internet is forever and she’ll never have the same reputation again. She deserves that, but not being shunned forever for a white collar crime she actually did her time for.

14 hours ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

Wow. I know a lot of people hate white privilege, but to say white collar criminals are the worst? So to you a woman who cheats and tries to get her kid into a good college is worst than Jeffrey Dahmer? White collar criminals are worse than serial killers or child molesters?

Most criminals generally have some reason for doing what they did. Not all are horrible or irredeemable. Blanket generalities don’t really work in a complicated world.

This woman was literally punished for what she did. She went to jail and, I believe, paid a fine. I don’t care if it was some swanky, rich prison. She was punished for the crime she committed. You may not consider not doing what you love a punishment, but many do. I know in this day and age of cancel culture and social media mobs thinking they have the right to pass sentence on people, but that’s not the way it works. If, as an individual, you want to hate and judge her and not watch anything she does, that’s your right. Just like it’s the right of any casting director/production not to hire her. But it’s not anyone’s right to ban her from working permanently at any job she wants.

You don’t know her, yet for some reason you’ve decided she’s the scum of the Earth and has no remorse. Just because she tried to get her kid into the college she wanted doesn’t mean she valued money and power above everything. And she did lose money and status. Like I said, there’s the fine she paid and the lost work over these last few years. The internet is forever and she’ll never have the same reputation again. She deserves that, but not being shunned forever for a white collar crime she actually did her time for.

Excluding sociopaths psychopaths, imo, white collar crimes are the worst. And the word "white" in the term does not mean white person.

I don't know her, I know what she did and I don't think she should be celebrated. Maybe you do know her and disagree. Can't argue with what you feel or think, just responding to your comment

Believe me, she is not going to be shunned forever. She will get jobs. She will maybe get another award. Look at Woody Allen. Still defended by other celebrities after a much worse act (like I said, sociopaths and psychopaths are  a different case. They are not repentant, therefore cannot  really be redeemed).

And then there are people like you, who disagree with me. She still has those who look forward to her coming back to where she was. She is fine, no reason to get flustered over one opinion from one person on one forum