Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

Mr. Sparkle
  • Start Topic

I'm out. This show is not offering enough entertainment value for me to waste an hour a week on it.

Before I left I wanted to say, from the start the actor who plays Lane reminded me of someone else, and I finally figured it out: that guy from the Goldbergs. Not a show I watch, but I saw a commercial and they look nearly identical to me.

Anyway, peeps, enjoy!

• Like 1

That was pretty bad.  Throw 1 switch and everything is magically back to normal. 
Who gets to mop up the green radioactive goo from the floor and dispose of the bodies ?

So how many people died from the radiation leak ?  Trent plus the engineer for sure, but there were a lot of bodies in the hallway near Engineering that were exposed to radiation for hours -- are they just going to walk it off ?

This ship really hates people -- it keeps locking people behind doors during a crisis.

And now we have yet another secret -- the "genius" that built the Ark spaceships is on board in cryo in a secret compartment within the ship.   Now where have I seen that before -- oh yeah, the movie 'Prometheus'.  Apparently the show writers can't even be bothered come up with an original idea.  I'm starting to think that this show was written by ChatGPT.  ;)

Trent killed Jasper to "keep the mission balanced". Sure, why not ?  I'm just surprised he didn't kill Cat since she wasn't really pulling her weight in the first few episodes until she became ship's counselor.

Garnet gets revealed as a clone to the senior staff, and nobody other than Lane gives a damn. Lane is convinced that Garnet is going to crack and kill everyone -- I doubt no more than anyone else in this crew.

Alicia and Angus develop an early warning system against the alien mineral.  I bet they are going to find that stuff everywhere.

Alicia is gong to need some quality time with Cat after finding out that the first guy she kissed is a murderer (who is now dead).

(edited)

OK it looks like we have our over uhhhh Arking (yes I spelled it wrong this time on purpose) conspiracy.   The William Trust dude who created the ships is alive and still in status and Alicia's meet/cute was working for him.   It is hardly an original idea.   I forget the name now but that end of the world train show got boring when it introduced the dude who built the train.  That is Also when I kinda stopped watching.  The last thing the show needs is a supervillian.     

It already has Spencer Lane who continues to be the ship's Ahole.   Now he is going to be the ships Gaius Baltar being suddenly helpful but still shady as all heck and the season will end with the wake up of William Trust.  

I think my favorite two characters are Ava and Cat.   I loved Ava's alibi for the murder which was basically "that is not how I would kill the dude...this is."  and "If I had done it I wouldn't have been dumb enough to drop a knife in a tank I am responsible for."  Basically the "I am smarter then you idiots." defense.

Cat is hilarious in her narcassistic way.  "Do you hate all women or just (Sharon Garnet)"  and then when Sharon comes in for a session making it all about her.  I love how she is actually pretty good at the job she doesn't want.  

IF you are going to die from radiation poison anyway you might as well use your helmet to smash shit up. 

Door are the real enemy people.   DOORS!!!!

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Like 1

Lane’s logic is ridiculous. Sharon has been doing a good job being the captain and he really thinks that the clone news is going to convince people to pick him over her? He who has spent the whole time irrationally ranting against her and snooped through classified files? I’d pick Sharon too.

I also loved Ava’s demonstration as to why she’s innocent of murder. Point taken, nice job.

Who’s in the other cryopod next to Trust?

8 hours ago, kariyaki said:

]Who’s in the other cryopod next to Trust?

A wife maybe?

So did they not know Trust was on the ship, or do they just think he died?

I kind of loved that Lane's attempt to undermine Garnett backfired. He thought her being a clone was a nail in her coffin and no one cared. 

Did not see that guy being the murderer. I hadn't learned his name, but he seemed like he was supposed to be a good guy. Poor Alicia. 

Good lord- it all makes sense now.  The Ark is Twitter, Trust is Elon, Garnet and crew are the overwhelmed support team who are trying to keep everything working after the massive layoffs/senior crew got blown into space, and Lane/Trent/Ingram are the tech bros who still insist this is a genius plan.

• LOL 2
On 3/2/2023 at 5:35 AM, Chaos Theory said:

OK it looks like we have our over uhhhh Arking (yes I spelled it wrong this time on purpose) conspiracy.   The William Trust dude who created the ships is alive and still in status and Alicia's meet/cute was working for him.   It is hardly an original idea.   I forget the name now but that end of the world train show got boring when it introduced the dude who built the train.  That is Also when I kinda stopped watching.  The last thing the show needs is a supervillian.

Snowpiercer, it was the show that immediately snapped to my mind when the Captain's and senior officers pod got smashed instead of having them spread around the pods just in case one got smashed.

On 3/2/2023 at 7:41 AM, kariyaki said:

Lane’s logic is ridiculous. Sharon has been doing a good job being the captain and he really thinks that the clone news is going to convince people to pick him over her? He who has spent the whole time irrationally ranting against her and snooped through classified files? I’d pick Sharon too

Given that being a clone was a closely held secret in makes some sense. Humanity banned the entire process for a reason. While LT Garnett said she was a normal in vitro, beyond the DNA contributor they did do human experimentation on the clone sisters. While not the same as the androids of Blade Runner or the invitro  "tanks" of Space: Above and Beyond, who were forced grown into adult soldiers with the socialization process of childhood, there has to be something there to have the prejudice which caused the banning of the technology.

So they had a way of shutting off the leak from the bridge but didn't think of doing that until after that option gets broken? If these people are the last, best hope for the survival of the human race we might as well stick a fork in it right now.

If this Trust guy was such a genius, why wasn't there an alert on the bridge about the leak when it happened? It took Ava running all the way back to engineering to find out what happened.

I could put up with the overall cheapness of the production if the writing were bringing it. Instead, it is making my brain sad.

At this point, hate-watching looks to be the only reason to continue.

• Like 2
On 3/4/2023 at 8:43 AM, Raja said:

Given that being a clone was a closely held secret in makes some sense. Humanity banned the entire process for a reason. While LT Garnett said she was a normal in vitro, beyond the DNA contributor they did do human experimentation on the clone sisters. While not the same as the androids of Blade Runner or the invitro  "tanks" of Space: Above and Beyond, who were forced grown into adult soldiers with the socialization process of childhood, there has to be something there to have the prejudice which caused the banning of the technology.

Exactly who banned cloning was unclear. Because normally only the government could ban something like that, but Garnett was actually part of a Government run experiment.

I thought of something else that makes no sense about this show. They've said it's not a military ship, but some of the people were military since they have ranks and talk about court martials. But it also seems like everyone is from different countries. So how does that work? In the future is the military international?

7 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

Exactly who banned cloning was unclear. Because normally only the government could ban something like that, but Garnett was actually part of a Government run experiment.

I thought of something else that makes no sense about this show. They've said it's not a military ship, but some of the people were military since they have ranks and talk about court martials. But it also seems like everyone is from different countries. So how does that work? In the future is the military international?

I am thinking an international government with a UN type military that stops those pesky border conflicts. And perhaps bring the strong arm at internal rebels.  In any case the governments broke the law that ordinary citizens wanting to clone feared to do. That the cop proclaimed Garnett as innocent played like Star Trek DS9 and the Federation, or was it just Earth looking at Dr. Bashir but not locking him up like the other augments but punishing his parents as the real culprits.

Giving every nation and other interest group a seat in an ark  would help serve to get every nation/group to cooperate 

On 3/1/2023 at 11:00 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

This ship really hates people -- it keeps locking people behind doors during a crisis.

Honestly, it's probably one of the few sensible things in the design of the ship.

Why was there not some kind of alarm triggered on the bridge when the green goo in the Universe's Saddest Excuse for a Containment System exploded? We don't find out that there's a RADIATION LEAK until Brice notices things are a little slow and he and Garnet do some troubleshooting and then Garnet looks up the Excel spreadsheet with the daily assignments on them and they play phone tag up the command chain until Eva gets to jog through the ship to find him.

The way this is filmed, there's like an hour or two between each step of this CRISIS. SecurityFelix clears Eva when the leak starts, hacks the email, tracks down Ali, "arrests her", learns the identity of the real emailer, explains the situation to Garnet, interrogates Trent and THEN the leak turns critical?

HowTF did they scrub the ship if they didn't even have a radiation suit that can withstand that type of radiation (Why have a radiation suit that can't handle the type of radiation inherent in the ship's system in the first place?)

This "balance" ideology from Trent sounds coocoo-cocoa-puffs: Everyone having a place? Yeah, that's never a good philosophy.

BSG Memorial Personnel Count: 126 (+2 sekrit peepl!)
 -1: First radiation dude (Ralph Gregor)
 -2: Trapped by doors behind TitsOut and Tripping Guy (at least)
 -3: Crushed in door
 -8: Trent encounters dead in corridors during his run
 -1: Trent MommyIssues

Edited by CoyoteBlue
  • Like 1