Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E03: Wess’ Journey

• Start Topic

Wess gets off to a great start in Dr. Now's programme, but when the cravings continue after surgery, Dr. Now sends him to therapy to confront his demons; Wess must ask himself whether he is ready to live his truth as a gay man in small town Texas.

Air Date: February 15, 2023

Wess' father might have been awful when he was younger, but he certainly came through for Wess during the weight loss 'journey'.   I think his father simply didn't know how to accept what Wess said before.     I hope Wess kept doing his program, losing weight and getting healthy, and I hope his dad joined him to get healthier too.     As I found out, you're healthy and then things can change so quickly.     I hope we have an update on Wess, with those horribly painful Lymphedema's gone.    I would love it if he could eventually move where there is a theater group he could participate with.   

• Like 13
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Wess' father might have been awful when he was younger, but he certainly came through for Wess during the weight loss 'journey'.   I think his father simply didn't know how to accept what Wess said before.     I hope Wess kept doing his program, losing weight and getting healthy, and I hope his dad joined him to get healthier too.     As I found out, you're healthy and then things can change so quickly.     I hope we have an update on Wess, with those horribly painful Lymphedema's gone.    I would love it if he could eventually move where there is a theater group he could participate with.   

I didn’t get the impression that Wess’ father was “awful”, physically absent due to work obligations (he was a trucker), racked with guilt because Wess was sexually abused (likely that family member was left to watch Wess and his older sister while the dad was on the road) he probably thought he was being a good dad getting them away from his ex, and then person he trusted to care for them while he was working to provide abused his son. Of course he would feel guilty. He was also homophobic/upset when he found out his son was gay as a teen (bad yes, but he did come around).

Wess’ Dad reminded me a bit of Justin’s dad (the red headed young man who did so well a few seasons ago)- he did love and care about his son, but how he parented wasn’t exactly what his son needed. And that happens with the best of intentions. Wess mentioned his Mom was an alcoholic- I wonder if he inherited some genetic predisposition towards addiction and went to food instead of alcohol (maybe circumstance, maybe he was cautious of alcohol because of his Mom). 

Wess got off to a slow start but I wish him all the best. I did think it was promising that he was still trying to be as independent as possible even at his highest (he’s a tall man- look at him next to the door frames, so I wasn’t shocked he was still walking) however when Dr Now gave him that first goal and he lost 10lbs, I went “dude!!!!! You need to get your head in this game!”

When he and his Dad were at the play I saw how much they looked a like. 😃

• Like 13

Not a trainwreck!  You could see him turn around when Dr. Now took him to task at that first follow up.  I can't wait to see a follow-up and I think he'll be a great success.  I love episodes like this.

• Like 10

I totally forgot about this episode and the live chat on Wednesday night! I missed all of the discussion with the Pounders. I really liked this episode. It was nice to see success, for a change, and I thought his father was a good father.   I agree with the poster above.  His father  did the right thing getting him away from his alcoholic mother and, unfortunately, the person who was taking care of the kids while he was on the road was untrustworthy.

Wess certainly checked all the boxes didn't he?  Alcoholic mother.  Abused sexually.  And that was why it was so satisfying to see that he did what he was supposed to do after a slow start. There has been too many train wrecks on the show of late.

Edited by Kid
  • Like 8

I felt sorry for Wess when his father showed up for lunch with a virtual barbecue buffet. He brought in trays of food that I know weren't on da diet and sat and ate it in front of Wess whose lunch was a small container of Jello. Was he trying to test his son? Then he asked for salt and sprinkled it all over his food, which was already pretty salty. High blood pressure much? 

• Like 3
On 2/24/2023 at 11:27 AM, mmecorday said:

I felt sorry for Wess when his father showed up for lunch with a virtual barbecue buffet. He brought in trays of food that I know weren't on da diet and sat and ate it in front of Wess whose lunch was a small container of Jello. Was he trying to test his son? Then he asked for salt and sprinkled it all over his food, which was already pretty salty. High blood pressure much? 

That was real shitty of his dad. He could have brought a nice grilled chicken. 

On 2/24/2023 at 12:27 PM, mmecorday said:

That was really confusing.  He brought soooo much food, rather than just having put his serving into one container.  So it had to have been intentional, but for what purpose?  Or could production have told him to do it, and even warned Wess, just for the 'drama'?

• Like 1