Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Kin

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

On 2/20/2023 at 8:23 PM, LoveLeigh said:

A few episodes ago I wrote a comment about what I perceived at times to be an inappropriate traveling team of Joel and Ellie. Reddit called it "sexual tension" between the two and even that reference was considered appalling.

However, here I am again noting an inappropriate exchange between the two of them. When Joel is showing Ellie how to shoot that rifle, he says "squeeze the trigger like you love it, gentle steady nice and slow" to which Ellie replies "you gonna shoot this thing or get it pregnant." Joel gives her a look open for interpretation. 

And just like that, there it is right there. What viewers thought they saw, we now see a glimpse of. Joel should have left her back there... but in order for the show to continue he had to take her. It is too long for those two to be traveling together and it is moving to grey areas of what is inappropriate banter. He is an older man and he is NOT her father. 

You only see what's not there it because you want to.

• Like 11

At least in this episode, i could see where there was enough land to grow crops for the people. 

one of my biggest questions from the first episode was how are they feeding all these people 20 years later?  there can't be too many places to grow crops or raise animals in a city, and you can't have too many or larger places outside quarantine zones because they would be vulnerable to the infected.  even clothing would start to break down after 2 decades.

Maybe there is some sort of trading between QZ's, but again, where are they growing, processing or otherwise making food or clothes?  and we've seen or heard nothing (that i recall at least) about goods transportation.

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

one of my biggest questions from the first episode was how are they feeding all these people 20 years later?  there can't be too many places to grow crops or raise animals in a city, and you can't have too many or larger places outside quarantine zones because they would be vulnerable to the infected.  even clothing would start to break down after 2 decades.

I think the massive drop in population would help with that (both from infection and people getting killed). Since sure you would be producing less food but you would also have fewer people to feed. And I would imagine that the infection (and just society collapsing) would probably target more vulnerable people like the very sick and very old. So the percentage of younger able bodied people would go up as the population drops.

• Like 3
On 2/21/2023 at 7:23 AM, shelley1234 said:

I don't know the answer, but I think it is possible. Just like you can train a dog to follow a scent or track the scent of human remains, you could train a dog to alert to the scent of the fungus in the infected.   Sure.  Why not.  

They can detect some types of cancer in humans and can sense when their person is about to have seizure and think they can detect covid possibly.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

The use of "Goodbye Girl" was brilliant on multiple levels here:

1. It's a direct reference to Joel telling Ellie "Goodbye" and that he will not be taking her any further.

2. A "goodbye" from Joel is the thing Ellie fears most (just like Mason's character in the film). Ellie has been waiting for Joel to abandon her since minute one (and basically says this in their confrontation).

3. Most importantly, the scene we saw is of Lucy, Paula's wisecracking little girl, at the moment she meets Elliot (Richard Dreyfuss) and instantly sees a potential father there. She brushes him off, but she spends the rest of the movie trying to make sure she gets this man as her father -- and he proves himself to be a really wonderful one. (Honestly, the father/daughter stuff in the movie is sweeter and more moving than the romance, as I find Paula really grating as a character, even though I love the movie anyway.)

• Like 6