Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E11: Time

jewel21
  • Start Topic

In an attempt to avoid one big life decision about his relationship with Olivia, Spencer decides to attend the Crenshaw combine with Jordan, even if it means having to avoid another big issue…being in the same place as Billy. Meanwhile, Layla clashes with her father over a decision she made about Keating Records, Olivia contends with success behind a pseudonym, Preach gets a surprise visit from Amina and Asher receives some life changing news. Despite how the day begins, no one is prepared for how it ends.

Airdate: 02/13/2023

Well wow wasn't expecting that. Billy. :(

How did the news have so much information on the crash, which bus it was yet no police or ambulance. It was dark and still nothing.

We will have to deal with Spencer's angst. for treating him so bad before he died.  He's a   brat who treated Billy like he knew better than anyone and I kind of hate that Billy gave into making Spencer right.

These guys are still freshman aren't they? Layla doesn't go to school but runs a record company, Asher's a coach and now going to be a father at 18 and doesn't seem to really scared of it, Olivia is famous reporter working at the paper.  

Edited by Artsda
  • Like 3

Okay, so I actually did not see that coming. This show surprised me for the first time. 

There were a lot of inconsistencies in this episode, but overall it wasn't bad. I'm curious to see where it goes without the one already established star and main character. 

I was dreading this episode after seeing the commercial again several times today and having read the vague but not vague enough description of next week (that the communities lost someone).  I had hoped after last week that maybe it would be J.J. with the drinking, but of course he then wasn't in the episode, and it soon as they started out with "let's have family breakfast every month" followed by semi-ominous music it was just one anvil after another to the point that I almost turned it off.  I hope that Taye Diggs asked to leave because of other projects (I know he's busy and I watched an episode of Uncensored with him on TV One last year and he didn't mention the show once), but either way, the network was probably looking for more cast salary relief for their budget.  Now there will probably be a pall over everything forever, and no one will be able to keep Spencer in line when he already thought he was right all the time anyway.

I agree that it makes no sense that the news is just yammering about the bus crash for a million hours but conveniently no emergency vehicles can get through.  I'm surprised they didn't break in and report Billy's death before Jordan and Grace got back.  (But why did no one know they weren't all accounted for earlier?  There were like 7 people and it was a small bus.  Maybe shock, but still...)

At least it's nice that Preach can get Amina back, thanks to one overheard speech that isn't any different from everything they tried to tell the grandparents before.  I still wish that when the grandma was complaining about Preach and what he was like that Coop had said, "Excuse me?  Your daughter tried to kill me.  And so did your son." 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

At least it's nice that Preach can get Amina back, thanks to one overheard speech that isn't any different from everything they tried to tell the grandparents before.  I still wish that when the grandma was complaining about Preach and what he was like that Coop had said, "Excuse me?  Your daughter tried to kill me.  And so did your son." 

IKR?!?! Grandma was awfully high and mighty for someone that managed to raise not one, but two criminals! I'm glad she changed her mind, and a shared custody arrangement in Preach's favor is a great option. Amina needs all her family working together.

• Like 4
14 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

I still wish that when the grandma was complaining about Preach and what he was like that Coop had said, "Excuse me?  Your daughter tried to kill me.  And so did your son."

1 hour ago, TVForever said:

IKR?!?! Grandma was awfully high and mighty for someone that managed to raise not one, but two criminals! 

I was shouting the same thing at the TV. The daughter was basically a gang leader/mob boss. Not sure if grandma can be judging other people's parenting skills!

As soon as they showed that wide-shot of the bus, I knew there would be an accident. I didn't think they'd take Billy out though. I for sure thought it was Jabari, and that he would have some severe injury that would affect his ability to continue playing football and he'd get stuck in the neighborhood.

Very interested to see where the show goes from here. 

• Like 2

Why were Grace and Jordan driving together and just a few minutes behind the bus?  Jordan didn't drive himself, or go with Spencer?  Did Spencer leaving early abandon Jordan there with no ride?

As already mentioned, how did the news know but there were zero emergency vehicles who could get there?  They mentioned an accident on the highway, but there wasn't a different direction someone else could come from?  Why didn't Grace or Jordan take the injured away to get help, rather than all of them waiting there doing nothing?

Also as already mentioned, why did it take them hours to realize that Jabari wasn't there, when Billy and Grace were counting people multiple times from the beginning?  There's no way they all just realized he wasn't there when the bus started to rock.  Also, why did the bus just randomly start to rock hours after the accident?

Did anyone check on the driver?

I get it, Taye Diggs was done.  At least, I hope it was his decision to leave.  It seems like this show is cutting its budget more and more with every episode, so he probably had enough.  He'll be able to find something else that makes him happier.

• Like 2

One thing Cali has is legendary first responders.  Just absurd that they had not managed to have anyone on scene for that long.  None bothered to return the 911 call made from the scene (at least one was) to assess the situation and to perhaps talk them through a tough situation until the cavalry did arrive?!  Remember - this was a SCHOOL bus with STUDENTS on it.  Impossible that there would be a  higher priority than that for CHP and County responders.

As usual, characters get massive solutions to chronic and super tough issues in record time, and super cheaply.  They act out well for 5 seconds, and allllllll is forgiven.  This is a very bad message to be sending out to the target audience.  There is important value in portraying life consequences for impulsive and irrational behavior as a teen.  I had hoped this show would be such a vehicle for this messaging.

The chances Layla actually had the ear of experience that she displayed to that producer?  Nil.

How many more eps before Olivia steps out and takes ownership for what she wrote.  I give it no more than two.

Best of everything to Taye as he moves on.  He did a fine job.  

• Like 2

A cop would have informed Laura that her husband was dead, not Grace.  Regardless, that scene was very well-done by everyone and I will neither confirm nor deny that tears in this house were shed.

I’m surprised that when Jamie said she was pregnant that Asher’s first question was “how to be a father” and not “will this baby kill my sick girlfriend”.

I will very much miss Taye.  While WAY too small to be a NFL running back, he was perfect for this part.  He is too damn charming and I worry that everyone combined will not be able to carry this show like he could.

Edited by mojoween
  • Like 2