Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Like It Touched the Sun

Mr. Sparkle
  • Start Topic

So many sexy smart people hitting on each other. That is what The Ark actually is isn’t it? A sex ship in space.  

Alicia Nevins has either got to stop talking so much or learn to read the room. One or the other,  Although killing a guy to get his job is not the worst idea I ever heard of and her flirting with the guy who has her old job was all kinds of cute.  "I’ll do my best to rub off on you."   You go Alicia.

Reece is that guy who WANTS to be in charge but is not really in charge.  Not sure I like him or not.  But he will be an interesting character.   I am enjoying Sharon Burke who is that mysterious character who was put on the ship last minute and is an unreliable leader but she sure can bar fight.

A narcissistic influencer being the Diana Troi of the series is going to be a fun development.  

But of course the ship is now stuck in space with 4 days of water and no place to go. 

Dun dun dun.!!!

That was not an improvement over the first episode -- which was pretty bad.

Did they ever retrieve the dead guy in the spacesuit ?

Did any of the writers study physics at some point ?  Because that debris that broke off the rotating wheel should have flown off into space instead of heading towards the non-rotating section of the ship.  And, just because the engines turned off the ship would keep coasting due to momentum -- instead it looks like the ship came to a full stop.  

The ship looks like it was attacked by a space crystal that turned into spacesuit-eating space goo that then disappeared .... into space.

As @Chaos Theory mentioned, Alicia needs to dial it down ... like a lot.

With the flirty influencer being put in charge of mental health ... that won't last ... and all the hooking up they might as well call this what it is --  'Melrose Place in Space'. 

Like the way they threw themselves into the hurtling space debris rather than just flattening against the hull.

Let me add my vote to SHUT UP, CHATTY McTWITCHY!

So Trent MommyIssues is now Trent PoopSlinger?

Mr. Trust = Steve Jobs?

Man, Trent PoopSlinger was actually banging his mommy mentor?

Lt. Napoleon Pissy is just a child. Petulant, whiny about authority - he practically stomped his tiny foot while crying over the officers' quarters. And "You're not the boss of me!"? Really, Pissy?

These two Lt Assholes constantly arguing with Lt Garnet, who is nothing but sensible. Yeah, we're going to risk our only NAVIGATOR, makes total sense. Dial your testosterone down about 98%.

Angus, we know you have a Garnet boner; try to play it a little smoother, child. What's with the cougar chasers on this ship?

Ok, Lt Garnet finally cracked. Karen TitsOut has no idea what empathy is. This is the stupidest thing Garnet has ever thought of. The idea of also bribing her? Christ. She also didn't have the right to give up the other Lt's room. They need a private area as much as she does. They should have moved in with Garnet, at least thrown down a couple mattresses on her floor.

How did they end up with a crew that mistrusts everything? That has an attitude that wouldn't work in a decent professional white-collar job, let alone the most elite group of humans on Earth, specially chosen for a dangerous and demanding job that the fate of humanity hinges upon? Steve Trust built the mf-ing Arks and Lt. HotScot is talking shit about him to underlings. The officers are dismissive to the security personnel when McStoic is just trying to do his job. 90% of the crew have no idea WTF a team is! Garnet needs to join up with McStoic and use his people as stormtroopers or something. I've never heard "it's not my job" so often in my life.

BSG Memorial Personnel Count: 141 (Space Javelin Victim)

ETA: HOW is this a Dean Devlin show? HOW?! Leverage, The Librarians ... and this piece of shit.

Edited by CoyoteBlue
HOW?!
  • Like 2
  • LOL 1

Not exactly a Hate Watch for me, but I'm not sure why I  am watching.

Cat seems like a sociopath.

Why do they only have two private rooms? Seems stupid.

This show feels like it travelled in time friom the early 00's. Not sure who the intended audience is. 

Edited by marinw

I came to this show hoping it was about a spaceship on its way to set up a colony, but got knocked off course, and now its inexperienced crew members have to work together to figure out how to get back on track. It's SyFy so I didn't have hopes for BSG-level quality, but after the first episode I was thinking, OK it's going to have some teen soap opera elements.

Sadly, it's now clear that this is actually a teen soap opera that just happens to be set on a spaceship on its way to set up a colony, but got knocked off course. 

OK I'll roll with the whole "all the experienced folks were killed because they were concentrated in the parts of the ship that happened to get destroyed." 

But come on, these people were assembled to execute on a plan intended to save humanity. Did they receive no training at all beyond their individual tasks? Are the vast majority of them narcissistic assholes? The security guy is the most professional of the lot. Even the 3 lieutenants, who presumably got command training, can't work together. The acting commander literally spit on a corpse in front of others. My god.

Who did the screening for these people? Maybe they should have taken the folks who were second-best in their fields, but who had enough discipline to work together towards a common goal.\

One more episode, you guys.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

In the shot where it is says '3 days before launch' with Ark One in the orbiting construction yard, the view of Earth shows a massive hurricane hitting central America and about 1/3 of the continental US on fire.  How would the Earth last for 70 more years if the planet is on fire ?  Nor have they explained WHY the planet was on fire.

The characters I actually like are Soil Boy and Bald Security Guy, who seems understandably annoyed with his crewmates.

Call me optimistic, but I don't see why sending people to other Solar Systems and saving Earth are mutally exclusive goals. We should do both.

The world building is pretty bad. What year is this? I'm assumeing they are confident that at least one of the planets around Proxima is habitable, but did they try Mars first?

Edited by marinw
5 hours ago, marinw said:

Bald Security Guy, who seems understandably annoyed with his crewmates.

You can see him rolling his eyes, even when he isn't. He's hilarious. Him and the Scot are my favourites. Crop boy too, who kinda reminds me of Andrew Garfield.

The three of them together, however, do not overcome the critical mass of suck this show is. They get one more episode to show me something of redeeming value worth my time. 

• Like 3
On 2/8/2023 at 8:02 PM, Chaos Theory said:

Reece is that guy who WANTS to be in charge but is not really in charge.  Not sure I like him or not.  But he will be an interesting character.   I am enjoying Sharon Burke who is that mysterious character who was put on the ship last minute and is an unreliable leader but she sure can bar fight.

On 2/10/2023 at 7:25 AM, tv echo said:

I think that Sharon Garnet will turn out to be related to William Trust - like, she's his daughter or goddaughter.

It was the bar fight along with the mysterious joining of the crew that flashed me to the original Alien.  They can't have that technology yet but could she be an android like Ash or Bishop in Aliens who preferred artificial?