Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E09: Malleus Maleficarum

• Start Topic

Sam and Dean investigate a coven of witches.

I'm always surprised how I'm not too fond of this one given that it's written by that clever Edlund fellow--but I guess everyone can have an off day, even Mr. Ben Edlund. There are some good parts and all, but overall too much witchy witches, IMO--also, yucky and obvious Ruby gets a couple of monologues...yuck! I'm with Dean, kill her by whatever means works. I really hate how they have Dean almost buying into her crap by the end of the episode, I still had no reservations that she was up to no good. And, I've never been very fond of the whole Sam-and-Dean-get-pinned-against-a-wall-and-stand-in-the-background-until-it's-time-for-them-to-be-a-part-of-the-scene shtick. It's boring and seems like a lazy solution to a problem, to me. In-fact this episode looks so very basic overall--but then I noticed that Singer directed it and it all made sense in the end.

So, there is some good things...that little stand 'n' chat between Dean and Ruby at the end was well performed and Dean learning what's in store for him in Hell was interesting information. And, I always get a chuckle out of the scene where Sam and Dean are arguing about why they should or shouldn't kill Ruby and Dean basically states the whole show in a nutshell "We're supposed to drive in the freakin' car and freakin' argue about this stuff." HA! Even gets a chuckle when I type it! And the idea that these witches were just bitchy women that unknowingly sold their souls to a demon in order to win a couple of crafty competitions and get lower mortgage rates is an interesting discussion. And all three actresses played their parts very well, I'm just not sure I was that interested in them that they needed to overtake the episode.

I think Dean sums up this episode nicely for me..."I hate witches...They're always spewing their bodily fluids everywhere...It's creepy, you know, it's down right unsanitary." Hee!

• Love 1

I'm amused by the title every time (someone knows their history), but otherwise, it's a meh episode for me.  Don't love it, don't hate it.  

I don't mind witches, per se.  I think that maybe the show kind of painted itself into a corner by making all witches demon-serving.  So no good witches?  Okay, seems kind of narrow-minded, but whatever.

• Love 1

Ruby sort of ruined this episode for me. I hate whenever she appears with a magical artifact, because it always comes off as a ludicrous deus ex machina. The thing of her having sold her soul to the same demon as the women in this book club did was also just too convenient, imo. I don't care for Ruby (or anyone) when she's playing the role of "plot device."

The show sort of warps a little when she comes onto the scene -- I think because she's tied into a mytharc and because she's tied to all this massive but still half-imagined Hell mythology. When she comes on the scene, it's like the human-scale grit of the show gets brushed off and the vibe becomes too wanna-be-epic and glossy. Ruby's fine in terms of the character's execution, imo -- both in terms of how she's written and in how she's performed. But the concept of the character doesn't work imo, because it's tied so closely into this Hell mythology that's too big for the show. JMV.

Anyway, I did like bits and pieces of this episode. The dialogue was clever (save for the constant "bitch"/"skank"/"whore" cussing, imo), which always goes a long way for me. I also liked how the Winchesters were relating to each other, even Dean's call-out speech to Sam. And I thought it was interesting that Sam said he was trying to be more like Dean, especially because he didn't seem to me to be acting like Dean at all. His way of being more like his brother was just by being relatively gung ho about killing people? LOL, ok. I mean, that's true, I guess, Dean is relatively gung ho about killing (too much so imo, but that's how he does). What I think is really funny about that is that you'd think that Sam's stance on killing would be based on his own moral code or sense of right and wrong, and that changing it would mean compromising his own sense of moral integrity. But nope, apparently his previous reluctance to kill was just a personal preference, and since it's practical to change that stance now, he's just going to change it. That kind of thing makes Sam seem so unknowable and poorly/incoherently written, imo, but it's also (perversely, I guess) what I like about him. It's like he's missing his humanity chip.

Edited by rue721
rue721, on 28 Dec 2014 - 10:37 PM, said:

What I think is really funny about that is that you'd think that Sam's stance on killing would be based on his own moral code or sense of right and wrong, and that changing it would mean compromising his own sense of moral integrity. But nope, apparently his previous reluctance to kill was just a personal preference, and since it's practical to change that stance now, he's just going to change it. That kind of thing makes Sam seem so unknowable and poorly/incoherently written, imo, but it's also (perversely, I guess) what I like about him. It's like he's missing his humanity chip.

That's a general problem with the writing of Sam--he does whatever the plot dictates, not necessarily what would make sense for his character. But, I think what was going on with Sam here was more of that Sam-was-brought-back-from-the-dead-wrong stuff

they had to drop due to the writer's strike cutting their season short. I understand they had some different plans for S3, but didn't have the time to fully develop the storylines in the end.

They'd been seeding it in since Sin City.

Edited by DittyDotDot

I find it interesting that Sam was supposed to be  "wrong" for s3, because I thought Sam was more kind, more empathetic, more supportive, less arrogant, less snarky, less judgemental in s3.  Was that supposed to be considered "wrong" or did they just scrap it all together after Sin City:"?

I find it interesting that Sam was supposed to be  "wrong" for s3, because I thought Sam was more kind, more empathetic, more supportive, less arrogant, less snarky, less judgemental in s3.

They kept up the "Sam came back wrong" at least through this episode,

but I think this might have been the last episode when it comes up?

To me, Sam wasn't acting especially cold or creepy during this period/S3, he just seemed like he had zero sense of humor. He was irritating me, tbh -- and I like Sam, I usually find him fun, *especially* when he's being an ass or oblivious or overly literal/practical or exasperated, etc.

I happened to watch an S2 episode yesterday (Hunted), just because I felt like it I guess, and it happened to be the one when the guys argued and stuff, but then said they loved each other with the "bitch" "jerk" thing -- OMG I wish Sam were still like that in S3. But I don't know what's up with that change, because lots of stuff about the show's tone changed between S2 and S3. (I like lots of S3 episodes, but I'm not a fan of that change in tone). I'm not sure if Sam's character was supposed to change, or he was *supposed* to seem "robotic" in S3 for plot reasons (like the whole scrapped Revenant SL) or if the change in Sam as a character, vis a vis the change in his dialogue, etc, was just an indirect/unintended consequnce of the show's overall tonal change.

In case the horse hasn't been beaten to death already, I'll get my licks in w/r/t the overall tonal change:  much less wry, much more ~epic,~ less wholesome but much more sentimental. And the horrible change in the color palate, but 2007/2008 was a terrible time for that -- I guess it was some kind of technilogical change (a shift to digital or HD or something)?

[OK, I just paired each season with the superstar rapper whose music that I felt best fit that season's tone, in order to better explain how I felt the show's tone has shifted over time. But on second thought, I'll spare you. Except to say that I think S2 was very Tupac and that's a compliment to it!]

Man, this is a fucked up episode. Just happened to catch it on TNT .

It establishes that demons were humans once. That witches get their powers from demons and that Ruby is one manipulative ass.

I still don't understand why Sam decided that he had to be like Dean to survive after Dean dies. He didn't need to be like Dean before. But really it's Ruby that's telling Sam he has to be like Dean.  The final scene between Dean and Ruby was pretty great.

• Love 1

The teeth! Ah, the teeth!

Dean sounds far sexier than he should saying "Burn, witch, burn." And looks far too attractive pointing a gun at Ruby. And he cares about bunnies! I love that he has to tell Sam "I told you so" even when they're pinned against walls watching demon fight.

I love the hotel room.  The stucco and metalwork and murals.

"We were just getting Renee a lower mortgage rate!" "What did you think it was? Make believe? Positive thinking? The Secret?" Underrated lines.

I do think this is Katie Cassidy's strongest episode of the season. The final speech with Dean is good. I think it's the most sympathetic Ruby ever was.

I hope that Tammy actress gets paid every time she appears in the previouslies for witchy episodes. 

• Love 3
(edited)

i just gotta say i was so disheartened when i learned there really is no way out for dean. what really made my heart feel heavy was learning that dean will eventually become a demon and sam will have to banish or even kill him one day. that's just so messed up right there. i just felt horrible when ruby said she had to prepare sam for the war, it was like a final nail in the coffin that dean isn't escaping anything. obviously from the continued seasons dean finds some way to scrap to planet earth but that still doesn't stop hurting me.

i liked when sam zoomed off with the gun and went in with every intent of slaying, lmao. badass sam is rare, love it.

Edited by Iju

I liked this episode. The treatment of witches was interesting and I liked the concept of suburban witches who didn't quite understand what they were getting into. 

The teeth and the maggots were pretty horrifying. I haven't had the teeth dream, so it really grossed me out more than anything. I actually gagged at that scene and the maggots. I think that is a compliment in horror. Lol.

I am feeling a bit disconnected from the season and I couldn't put my finger on it, but I realized it's because the loose underlying story is about trying to prevent something that isn't happening and that means that largely nothing is happening. We are learning more about demons, but I just don't find is as interesting as the psychic kids storyline from last season. That being said, the final scene seemed to give us a lot and move the story forward somewhat. I am not sure I trust the demon, but it was interesting.

Maybe I missed something, but isn't she inhabiting a human body like the other demons? How is she disappearing? I know demons are stronger and faster than their hosts, but I don't understand the disappearing. Is she using super speed to run away? Cause that is actually a hilarious image. 

25 minutes ago, The Companion said:

Maybe I missed something, but isn't she inhabiting a human body like the other demons? How is she disappearing? I know demons are stronger and faster than their hosts, but I don't understand the disappearing. Is she using super speed to run away? Cause that is actually a hilarious image. 

Are you referring to Ruby? If so, yes the demons are able to appear and disappear at will even though they are in human vessels because they are still supernatural entities. The same was true of the yellow eyed demon, Meg and the crossroads demons that they've encountered and we've seen appear and disappear abruptly.

29 minutes ago, The Companion said:

I am feeling a bit disconnected from the season and I couldn't put my finger on it, but I realized it's because the loose underlying story is about trying to prevent something that isn't happening and that means that largely nothing is happening. We are learning more about demons, but I just don't find is as interesting as the psychic kids storyline from last season.

This wasn't one of my favorites but I was also pretty bored by the psychic kids storyline. 

11 minutes ago, DeeDee79 said:

Are you referring to Ruby? If so, yes the demons are able to appear and disappear at will even though they are in human vessels because they are still supernatural entities. The same was true of the yellow eyed demon, Meg and the crossroads demons that they've encountered and we've seen appear and disappear abruptly.

This wasn't one of my favorites but I was also pretty bored by the psychic kids storyline. 

Oh, you are right. I guess something about disappearing in the parking lot made me think about it and then I got a little tickled thinking about her being stuck in corporeal form and just running really fast. It never occurred to me with the crossroads demon. That does make sense, though. 

I know there were some complaints about the psychic kids storyline and perhaps I will find it less engaging down the road when I see what they do with the more structured seasons that I am told come later. I think that, for me, I liked the addition of the psychic kids themselves. Partly, probably, because I liked the actors. So, even though the mystery wasn't that complex, the story was a little more interesting to me because it expanded the world by adding a few intriguing characters.

I don't know what is going to happen to Dean, but I don't buy that he gets written off the show so I assume the resolution isn't as catastrophic as they are selling any more than Sam's death was. The "Sam has to be more like Dean" thread seems a little ridiculous to me. Partly because I think Sam is capable of tackling this stuff in his own way and partly because I don't see a huge discrepancy in Season 1 and 2 Sam and Season 3 Sam. 

Don't get me wrong. I am enjoying the season overall with a few exceptions. I am just struggling with this plot arc.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, The Companion said:

I don't know what is going to happen to Dean, but I don't buy that he gets written off the show so I assume the resolution isn't as catastrophic as they are selling any more than Sam's death was. The "Sam has to be more like Dean" thread seems a little ridiculous to me. Partly because I think Sam is capable of tackling this stuff in his own way and partly because I don't see a huge discrepancy in Season 1 and 2 Sam and Season 3 Sam. 

Don't get me wrong. I am enjoying the season overall with a few exceptions. I am just struggling with this plot arc.

Sam needs to be more like Dean wasn't a thread or even a thing, just a statement by Ruby in this episode. Also, the after affects of Dean's deal and character arc actually continues throughout seasons 4 & 5. 

I wasn't watching live when the show aired but from what I've read and heard it was actually more catastrophic than Sam's death because it was during the writers strike and SPN's future was up in the air. Fandom ( as I understand it ) truly thought that if Dean died that there wouldn't be a resolution.

41 minutes ago, DeeDee79 said:

Sam needs to be more like Dean wasn't a thread or even a thing, just a statement by Ruby in this episode. Also, the after affects of Dean's deal and character arc actually continues throughout seasons 4 & 5. 

I wasn't watching live when the show aired but from what I've read and heard it was actually more catastrophic than Sam's death because it was during the writers strike and SPN's future was up in the air. Fandom ( as I understand it ) truly thought that if Dean died that there wouldn't be a resolution.

Oh man, I can see how that would have been stressful. I still mourn Pushing Daisies, though the strike DID give us Dr. Horrible, so silver linings, I guess.

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, The Companion said:

Oh man, I can see how that would have been stressful. I still mourn Pushing Daisies, though the strike DID give us Dr. Horrible, so silver linings, I guess.

Yes, it sucks when a show is abruptly canceled especially after a cliffhanger ☹️

• Love 1