Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E08: A Beautiful Life

jewel21
  • Start Topic

6 hours ago, DanaK said:

Man, that was a tough case for Gallo when the guy just dropped off the roof in mid conversation

I kind of saw it coming when I saw the man smile (like he'd found his nerve) and just casually dropped out.  

• Love 1

Finally, someone stepped on Gallo for his freelancing.  He whines about Carter getting a free pass yet he's always shown doing very unsafe stuff (which always makes him look good).  Maybe that's why I almost half-laughed when the guy went over the edge.

I could have sworn that Mouch's motorcycle would be gone by the end of the shift, or at least run over.  Settle down, Hermann.

Gallo should have been sent to some Critical Incident Stress Debriefing at the very least.  Going out drinking till 5 am won't get it.  There's always tomorrow.

By the way, firefighters, putting out the flame is not the end of the job when CNG is involved.  The fact that there is blowing flame means the tank has vented, which means there may still be gas venting out.  Capeesh?  And what kind of passengers wait for the fire department to arrive before trying to get out of the bus?  Me, I'm going through those emergency windows ASAP if I see flames.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1

Didn't really care about the the investigation with Pryma. Just give Severide a promotion to OFI already. And you could  easily guess the resolution of that inane stop sign plot in about 3 seconds flat. Trudy for the win, though.

Gallo. Holy hell that was rough. The actor nailed it and the VFX and his hundred yard stare during the debrief sold it even more. Well done to all involved.

He and Carver were remarkably lucid for a pair of guys who just shut down several bars at 4am. I expected the talk between Gallo and Carver in the locker room, but I would have bet that it would have been Violet who would have been there for him, in whatever capacity that was needed.

Too soon for Brett and New Guy? I guess after Jesse Spencer left they had to do something with her character's love life. Because Show. Hopefully they won't drop a building façade on him.

Hooray, Hermann got top open up a charged hose line again in this episode. I loved how Gallo kicked out the bus window where, if you looked closely, you could see hinges from the emergency escape window one seat forward. Or they could have just popped windows by default.

Edited by NJRadioGuy
  • Love 1

Credit where credit is due: I did not expect the jumper to actually jump. I thought for sure "hero Gallo" would succeed in talking him down. So that didn't go where I thought it was going. The matter-of-fact way he just scooted off the ledge mid-conversation was way less dramatic than it could have been, which made it far more compelling and surprising. Good job, show.

Meanwhile Detective Severide and his trusty sidekick Stella continue to play Private Eye. Severide spends more time investigating crimes than being a firefighter.

Herrmann once again is the butt of the joke, I swear I don't know how David Eigenberg can stand to play the fool week after week. The dummy on the motorcycle was absurd. I did laugh when the two girls got out of the car to take a selfie with it though.

Hooray, Hermann got to open up a charged hose line again in this episode.

GIven the terrible drought in California, I imagine it's pretty hard to justify wasting tons of water on scenes like this. I mean, I get that it's supposed to be a show about fighting fires and we should be seeing that a lot more, but the reality of the situation is daunting for production and you can just imagine the blowback they probably get on social media every time they do it.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

GIven the terrible drought in California, I imagine it's pretty hard to justify wasting tons of water on scenes like this. I mean, I get that it's supposed to be a show about fighting fires and we should be seeing that a lot more, but the reality of the situation is daunting for production and you can just imagine the blowback they probably get on social media every time they do it.

Don't they film in Chicago proper? With Lake Michigan nearby I can't imagine it's a drought issue. 

Have we ever seen Serveride handle the hose line before? 

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, anna0852 said:

Don't they film in Chicago proper? With Lake Michigan nearby I can't imagine it's a drought issue. 

Have we ever seen Serveride handle the hose line before? 

The show is 100% filmed in Chicago. Interiors on a replica-firehouse set, exteriors at E18's quarters on Maxwell St. and on location throughout the city. Lake Michigan won't mind if a couple of hundred gallons go missing temporarily.

Severide's job doesn't involve operating a hose line. He's the commanding officer of the Rescue Squad. That apparatus (show and real-life) is an elite unit that responds to major incidents like, building collapses, drownings, multiple alarm fires, entrapments, technical rescues, plane/train crashes, etc. Some heavy rescues are also HazMat teams.

The crew and apparatus whose job it is to put water on the fire is the Engine company (51 in this case), but it wouldn't be Hermann on the nozzle. The chauffeur would be operating the pump, the nozzleman and backup would be responsible for duties like taking the hydrant and humping hose and the C.O. would be monitoring the crew resources, directing his/her actions or their role as assigned by the incident commander.  They're supposed to go in with Truck or Rescue whenever there's a person trapped in a burning building and open up a line to suppress the fire while the truckees get the glory and make the save :) :) :). Except on this infernal show, where the rescuers go in without water--an easy way to get dead IRL.

• Useful 2