Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: PTSD

Only six episodes and the two people who were just having fun are now dating exclusively!

I loved that when the bride and groom invited Jimmy and Gretchen to breakfast to dump them, they were totally fine with it. I mean, who wants to hang out with a guy who uses the phrase "commune tabes"?

That poor ginger from Ohio. He will probably have to sell his minivan as soon as he gets back home because it's tainted.

• Love 1

Poor Edgar!  He suffers from guilt the entire show, only to succumb to his own happiness at Gretchen and Jimmy snuggling.  LOL.  I love that he called some kind of weird sex talk radio show for advice.

I can't say enough how much I love the complete and utter lack of slut shaming on this show.  Any other sitcom, Gretchen's character would have been in tears, etc, etc, feeling guilty, ashamed of having sex when she has "feelings" for someone else.  That alone makes this an amazingly groundbreaking sitcom.

• Love 2

Poor Edgar!  He suffers from guilt the entire show, only to succumb to his own happiness at Gretchen and Jimmy snuggling.  LOL.  I love that he called some kind of weird sex talk radio show for advice.

I can't say enough how much I love the complete and utter lack of slut shaming on this show.  Any other sitcom, Gretchen's character would have been in tears, etc, etc, feeling guilty, ashamed of having sex when she has "feelings" for someone else.  That alone makes this an amazingly groundbreaking sitcom.

I really liked this episode, after the last couple, which I thought were just okay. I, too, love the lack of slut-shaming. 

My favorite scene was the one in which Edgar is calling in to the radio show. I loved the way that was shot and the various things he was doing as he talked to the shock jock.

Aw, I really liked Sunday Funday! This ep was about on par with that one, IMO.

To be honest, when I read the episode blurb earlier, I was guessing the show would semi-break-up Gretchen and Jimmy, especially coming right after Sunday Funday. Y'know, that whole "two steps forward, one step back" thing. I'm surprised, but happy, that they went the other way.

The acting and direction was so good tonight. Both Cash and Geere are so good at playing hurt with a heavy cloak of defensive mechanisms on top. And that tiny grin Gretchen had at the arcade at the end killed.

The montage of all the emotional wreckage they wrought over the course of the episode was so great.

• Love 1

I enjoyed the evening of scores and point/half point scoring intricacies. I don't know where the show is going, but I'm interested enough to stay and find out.

Slut-shameless or not, I do judge Lindsay and feel sorry for her husband.

• Love 1

I do like that she's at least not blaming him for her issues.

I'm really enjoying this show and they're avoiding many of the usual cliches I see in romantic comedies. I was actually expecting them to eventually show that Jimmy didn't have sex with that actress and only took pictures and there'd be some major angst over that, but nope. Or that Gretchen would be more bothered than she was, but she accepted that she told him to do it.

• Love 1

I'd hardly call Jimmy's liaison an "accident." It was about as calculated as those things can possibly be. (I'm responding to the episode description)

I like all the things everyone else likes about this show. I also like how they continually go back to the well of weirdness and hypocrisy in how people respond to veterans.

• Love 1

I really liked the montage at the end, too, which basically just goes to reinforce the idea that all the so-called "normal" people they don't want to be are just as insecure and screwed up as they are.

I was referring to Gretchen in regards to the slut shaming.  I feel bad for Lindsay's husband, too, because Lindsay broke a vow and was unfaithful in a monogamous, committed relationship.  Gretchen didn't do any of those things, and in most shows, she would have been called a slut, or villainized, and I like that she wasn't. because she didn't do anything wrong.

• Love 1

I'd hardly call Jimmy's liaison an "accident." It was about as calculated as those things can possibly be. (I'm responding to the episode description)

Accident is definitely the wrong word but I don't think it was very caculated either in that I don't think he expected to actually seduce her.  So in a way, that was sort of accidental.  He seemed a bit surprised when she let it be known that she was into the idea of sleeping with him.  But the choice to sleep with her was definitely no accident.

I feel bad for Lindsay's husband, too, because Lindsay broke a vow and was unfaithful in a monogamous, committed relationship. 

The funniest thing about Lindsay's affair to me was the fact that the guy she picked up in the bar reminded me a lot of her husband.  It was an interesting choice. 

I also agree that it was refreshing that she wasn't slut shamed but it was a little disappointing that it didn't seem like she was really into any of the two guys she picked up.  It wasn't about desire but 'evening the score.' 

Poor Edgar!  He suffers from guilt the entire show, only to succumb to his own happiness at Gretchen and Jimmy snuggling.  LOL.  I love that he called some kind of weird sex talk radio show for advice. I can't say enough how much I love the complete and utter lack of slut shaming on this show.  Any other sitcom, Gretchen's character would have been in tears, etc, etc, feeling guilty, ashamed of having sex when she has "feelings" for someone else.  That alone makes this an amazingly groundbreaking sitcom.

I love this entire show. Gives me hope at the way the relationship is portrayed and I actually think they are perfect for each other. But I heart Edgar so much. He needs a gf.

...it was a little disappointing that it didn't seem like she was really into any of the two guys she picked up.  It wasn't about desire but 'evening the score.'

I wonder if Jimmy enjoyed his night with the actress? And her feet? Certainly none of his exes wanted anything to do with him. Gretchen would normally take that as a blaring warning klaxon, except this show wants to tar both sexes with same brush.

But I heart Edgar so much.

Loved him tossing Gretchen's breakfast nachos in the trash!

Certainly none of his exes wanted anything to do with him. Gretchen would normally take that as a blaring warning klaxon, except this show wants to tar both sexes with same brush.

I would defend the pairing even so by citing the pilot: they thought it was a one-night stand and so they each revealed a lot of their terrible history to the other that they normally wouldn't, and neither was repulsed.

Granted, that's different from Jimmy actually being awful to Gretchen herself. (Also, I'd like to find out why Becca and Jimmy broke up.)

I guess the show ultimately has to deal with the same sorts of things My Name Is Earl did with its leads and Scrubs did with Dr Kelso: they want hilariously awful characters but also want to humanize them.

"You at least have to sleep with someone else too. That's feminism, Gretch. That's what Susan B. Anthony died for!"

Lindsay had some really great lines. For an episode that tinged with a undercurrent of sadness there were some really laugh out loud funny lines to balance it out.