Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E06: Sympathetic Reflex

jewel21
  • Start Topic

Atwater's reactions during a tense arrest are called into question. The team must dig in to uncover key evidence that could aid in the ongoing investigation and clear Atwater's name.

Airdate: 11/02/2022

Atwater episodes are always the best. Atwater is everything you want a cop to be, the perfect mix of empathy and integrity. He could have taken the easy way out but he didn't. I like that he went and talked to the mother at the end I think she really need to hear what Atwater had to say. 

• Like 1
  • Love 8

People aren't going to want to hear it, but Halstead being gone really opened the door for Atwater to finally get the attention, recognition, and storytelling that he deserves. 

I feel like they spent seasons trying to convince us that Halstead was the moral compass of the series with the most integrity etc and arguing that he's the future of the policing and that's why he should run the unit one day. But Halstead's actions never fully coincided with that.

It was always very clear that Atwater is the most morally sound character on the unit with the history and actions to back it up. He never flinches in the face of following his moral code and what he deems right, and that's been challenged (ad-nauseum) a million times usually leading to someone always coming for his job... almost as if they don't want the real change that Atwater could bring as who should be the future of policing.

I think them finally allowing the most morally solid character who is the embodiment of good police for this series to mentor is long overdue and the fact that he had to step in for someone like Hailey is crazy to me because he should be their go-to person anyway. This also goes for him  getting to mentor Torres as well. They snatched Vanessa from under him and tossed her to Hailey before he got the chance to properly mentor her which was annoying because it wasn't like Hailey was hurting for storylines whereas Atwater always is.

I think with Halstead gone, they finally get to showcase who is really the moral center of the unit,  and "boy scout" and that's consistently been Kevin. And Kevin always works as a technical foil to Voight without working in opposition to him as an antagonist (people usually hate that word and assume it's specifically about villains when it isn't especially in this context) which is more interesting and authentic.

Atwater centrics are always some of the best mostly because Hawkins is a phenomenal actor. I liked that this time it didn't feel like the team left him hanging like usual. Typically outside of a moment with Ruzek or a sympathetic look from Kim, it feels like he's battling everything alone, which irritates the hell out of me especially when you compare it to the scorch the earth approach they'll take for other characters.

I'm delighted that Torres is a rider like Ruzek maybe even more so, and Kevin has them there to have his back. It made me smile. Although at some point I need them to give Torres more than just the same roles to play undercover. He's capable of so much more than gangbanger/dealer/"urban" criminal rinse wash repeat.

It's a testament to how great Kevin and LaRoyce are that his episodes are so damn good even when they recycle the same stuff for him and put too much emphasis on his race. Like, the second they started the Black cop shoots White kid narrative and the chief was ready to hang Kevin out to dry and barely supported him because of some rich white people and suggested he should take that sympathetic reflex option  with no awareness to how Kevin literally can't do the same crap that white cops do and still have a great career or as the father mentioned, not be hunted down (which damn that sounded sus for a "civil rights activist") I rolled my eyes. I groaned. Because free my man Kevin from these same storylines. But he does them so well that I can't be angry all the time either.

Oh yay. Hailey and Voight are keeping stuff from the team again. Because we love those storylines so much. 

Edited by Sweet-n-Snarky
  • Applause 4
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, mommalib said:

Atwater episodes are always the best. Atwater is everything you want a cop to be, the perfect mix of empathy and integrity. He could have taken the easy way out but he didn't. I like that he went and talked to the mother at the end I think she really need to hear what Atwater had to say. 

This was the best episode so far. This show certainly doesn't shy away from depressing shit.  The death in the carjacking was horrible, only to be followed up later by the death of that teenage kid. I felt terrible for Kevin having two people die on him in one episode. His face really showed how he was completely spent.

I also liked the last scene with the mother. The actress who played the mother was so good.  

• Like 1
  • Love 2

LaRoyce Hawkins is a reliable, incredible actor who always delivers! ❤️

Kevin-centric episodes never disappoint and are emotionally draining. They are always the greatest despite the same blue vs black narrative that they continuously have for him. This time, it is blue and black.

Kevin Atwater is too good for CPD Intelligence.

E.M.P.A.T.H.Y.

Kevin practices what he preaches. His strong sense of empathy is clearly visible in the episode's two intense moments:

• Comforting Miles Reeves in his final moment, by the side of the road, assuring him that his mom is OK.
  • Offering solace to Johnny's mom, sharing with her his final words (and the context), telling her she raised a good man.

Make this man a detective already!!!

Some meaningful lines that continue to make Kevin a lovable character:

"When you walk out into the air, take your empathy with you."

Kevin: "Second one today, Sarge."

Voight: "Yeah, it's one of those days."

"I won't lie. We'll find another way."

Voight seems proud of Kevin for not giving into the sympathetic reflex plea.

When Oscar starts talking to UC Torres, does Voight say "come on Ben" or "come on man"??!

Why Voight never learn from the Roy Walton's tragedy? Secrecy is never a good thing. Don't you trust your own team? And why he likes to keep Hailey (feeling) isolated from the team? It is so annoying that these two have another separate storyline, away from the team. Stop it.

I really appreciate the Trudy Platt moments at the beginning. I still want more Trudy though. I want to see her with Torres, it will be fun! 😆

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Love 5

Very good episode. Atwater episodes are always the best. But I hate that it's always depressing stuff for him. Let that man smile and be happy! 

I see LaRoyce is beefing up again. The way he arrested that guy at the chop shop was so hot lol... I need a man 🤪

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1

I love Atwater too.  But!  No way in hell is he allowed to continue working on the same day in which he’s involved in an officer involved shooting with a fatality.  And on the same case that led to the shooting!  Writers, please - make it make sense! 😆😆

• LOL 1
5 hours ago, jalady said:

I love Atwater too.  But!  No way in hell is he allowed to continue working on the same day in which he’s involved in an officer involved shooting with a fatality.  And on the same case that led to the shooting!  Writers, please - make it make sense! 😆😆

It's TV lol

6 hours ago, jalady said:

If they followed any of the rules, none of these bunch of muppets would ever be on the streets working. At least they showed IRT actually taking his gun... that was new.

On 11/3/2022 at 1:24 PM, Sweet-n-Snarky said:

People aren't going to want to hear it, but Halstead being gone really opened the door for Atwater to finally get the attention, recognition, and storytelling that he deserves. 

I feel like they spent seasons trying to convince us that Halstead was the moral compass of the series with the most integrity etc and arguing that he's the future of the policing and that's why he should run the unit one day. But Halstead's actions never fully coincided with that.

It was always very clear that Atwater is the most morally sound character on the unit with the history and actions to back it up. He never flinches in the face of following his moral code and what he deems right, and that's been challenged (ad-nauseum) a million times usually leading to someone always coming for his job... almost as if they don't want the real change that Atwater could bring as who should be the future of policing.

I think them finally allowing the most morally solid character who is the embodiment of good police for this series to mentor is long overdue and the fact that he had to step in for someone like Hailey is crazy to me because he should be their go-to person anyway. This also goes for him  getting to mentor Torres as well. They snatched Vanessa from under him and tossed her to Hailey before he got the chance to properly mentor her which was annoying because it wasn't like Hailey was hurting for storylines whereas Atwater always is.

I think with Halstead gone, they finally get to showcase who is really the moral center of the unit,  and "boy scout" and that's consistently been Kevin. And Kevin always works as a technical foil to Voight without working in opposition to him as an antagonist (people usually hate that word and assume it's specifically about villains when it isn't especially in this context) which is more interesting and authentic.

Atwater centrics are always some of the best mostly because Hawkins is a phenomenal actor. I liked that this time it didn't feel like the team left him hanging like usual. Typically outside of a moment with Ruzek or a sympathetic look from Kim, it feels like he's battling everything alone, which irritates the hell out of me especially when you compare it to the scorch the earth approach they'll take for other characters.

I'm delighted that Torres is a rider like Ruzek maybe even more so, and Kevin has them there to have his back. It made me smile. Although at some point I need them to give Torres more than just the same roles to play undercover. He's capable of so much more than gangbanger/dealer/"urban" criminal rinse wash repeat.

It's a testament to how great Kevin and LaRoyce are that his episodes are so damn good even when they recycle the same stuff for him and put too much emphasis on his race. Like, the second they started the Black cop shoots White kid narrative and the chief was ready to hang Kevin out to dry and barely supported him because of some rich white people and suggested he should take that sympathetic reflex option  with no awareness to how Kevin literally can't do the same crap that white cops do and still have a great career or as the father mentioned, not be hunted down (which damn that sounded sus for a "civil rights activist") I rolled my eyes. I groaned. Because free my man Kevin from these same storylines. But he does them so well that I can't be angry all the time either.

Oh yay. Hailey and Voight are keeping stuff from the team again. Because we love those storylines so much. 

Really wish they would have Kim Adam and Kevin get pissed when they find out the newest secret but they won't be allowed too.

• Love 3
On 11/5/2022 at 5:27 AM, MsJamieDornan said:

Sadly, it will never happen.

It's why I really do think LaRoyce Hawkins would be better off leaving and going to show where he can actually shine. His acting skills are being wasted, and there's no doubt he's the token black man. Save for the episode last season with the running wife, all of the Kevin-centric episodes just deal with racial issues or police scrutiny. The writers are type-casting him. They give all these stories to Burzek and Upton, and don't write any good, long-standing storylines for Atwater. It's a shame.

• Applause 1