Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

secnarf
  • Start Topic

So, this show wanted me to ship Timmy and Eliza from their first scene together, right?

mission accomplished. 

Melissa Fumero is adorable and has just as much chemistry with Randall Park as she did with Andy Samberg on B99. 

The dialogue certainly has some David Capse-isms. But there were a few somewhat clunky moments. I guess that's what happens with most pilots where the script wasn't fully written with specific actors in mind, or just not quite being fully dialed in on what the vibe of the show should be.

Like, esp the part where the bottle rocket hit the inflatable gorilla, that part felt dumb even if Tim lampshaded that fireworks in the daytime was dumb.

I did really like how Eliza undercut the small speech earlier in the episode by saying it was ironic this little champion of small business was a Blockbuster, formerly a franchise of a giant corporation.

• Love 3

The first episode was pretty rough, but I like Randall Park and love Melissa Fumero, so I'll give it a chance. I couldn't get past this Blockbuster store having six people working the same shift. Want to save the store? Forget the block party and cut the employees. 

Edited by Evie
  • Like 1
  • Love 4

Not the worst pilot I've seen, but definitely had some rough moments.  Can already tell that I'm going to be annoyed about the "will they, won't they?" stuff between Timmy and Eliza, Percy is probably going to be one of those characters who will be very tiring if he's overused, and the characters are all atypical so far.  But, again, it's only one episode and sitcoms are known to take a while to figure things out, so I'll be patient.  Still got a few chuckles: especially Eliza pointing out the irony about how Blockbuster of all things is now considered the hero for "small businesses."

Randall Park is always a delight and I'm glad seeing him here.  Definitely love seeing Melissa Fumero again, but I swear, between Amy getting the brunt of Gina's putdowns on Brooklyn Nine-Nine and Eliza seeming to get the majority of insults from the Kayla character here, casting directors really seem to like having be the butt of jokes and insults.  I'm choosing to believe it's nothing nefarious and it's just because she's good with the wounded puppy dog look!

Olga Merediz!!

Will keep watching, but will probably be spread out.  Doesn't feel like a show I want to flat-out binge but one to just watch when I've got thirty minutes to kill.

• Love 2
On 11/3/2022 at 9:41 PM, Valerie said:

So, this show wanted me to ship Timmy and Eliza from their first scene together, right?

mission accomplished. 

Melissa Fumero is adorable and has just as much chemistry with Randall Park as she did with Andy Samberg on B99. 

I am going to stick with it for the cast.  It has an old-school sitcom vibe that you will either love or hate.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Rough first episode, but that’s pretty standard for pilots, it’s got a great cast so I’ll give it a shot. I find it hilarious that a show about Blockbuster and it’s struggles is being aired on Netflix, the company that almost singlehanded destroyed them. 

Wow. This was bad. I wanted to like it so much. It seemed to have a great pedigree, on both sides of the camera. But it just isn't funny. I never laughed once. Didn't even smirk. Not even a grin. It was awful. And I can barely stand the sight of JB Smoove under the best of circumstances. 

It's not just the pilot. I gave it four episodes. It never got any better.

It doesn't even make any sense. Why would there still be a Blockbuster, unless it was way out in some rural area where internet access was spotty or non-existent? And if they're so strapped for cash why are six employees all working the same shift? The premise just doesn't make any sense.

What a shame and a waste of Randall Park and Melissa Fumero.