Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: Sports Heroes

Jim Thorpe is named the greatest athlete of the 20th century, Babe Didrikson breaks down gender barriers in sports, and Jim Abbott achieves prominence as a pitcher despite having only one hand. Featuring Jason Momoa, Zach Gilford and Emily Deschanel.

Guest stars: Emily Deschanel as Babe Didrikson Zaharias, Aidan Sussman as young Jim Abbott, Zach Gilford as Jim Abbott, and Jason Momoa as Jim Thorpe

Narrators: Preston Flagg on Jim Thorpe, Karey Dornetto on Babe Didrikson Zaharias, Matt Jones on Jim Abbott

I loved when Derek Water kept doing something and he pro kept commenting "you can't do that", "that's a penalty", "that's a flag", etc. Yup the NFL loves to control everything.  Even dunking the football is a 15 yard penalty.

• Love 2

I loved when Derek Water kept doing something and he pro kept commenting "you can't do that", "that's a penalty", "that's a flag", etc. Yup the NFL loves to control everything.  Even dunking the football is a 15 yard penalty.

I do think it's probably a good rule though that after you tackle someone you're not allowed to then repeatedly sit on his head.

Didn't enjoy this one a whole lot. I already knew about Jim Abbott and watching Emily Deschanel try to golf was painful. Even the Jim Thorpe thing wasn't too interesting. It was mostly this guy from a really long time ago went to the Olympics. But he did a lot more than that that was probably less known that might've been more interesting.

I guess I prefer the more obscure stories.

• Love 2

" "Unsportsmanlike Conduct. Fifteen Yard Penalty, to be assessed at the kickoff."  - Head Referee at almost every NFL game.

*sigh* - Me, during NFL game. Why can't they celebrate! Some of the past celebrations were hilarious.

Episode was okay - I guess I am partial to more of the older history.

First of all, it was reported at the time (maybe apocryphal, but I like it, so I believe it) that Thorpe's response to the King of Sweden's congratulatory "You, sir, are the world's greatest athlete!" was not just an adorable "Thanks" but the infinitely more adorable "Thanks, King!" Even drunk, that's not a detail to leave out.

Second of all, Jason Momoa? Rrowr.

Third, I remember that tv-movie about Babe Didrickson that starred that couple from Webster. I don't remember it dealing with a lesbian affair. In 1975! No mention of Babe's loving the ladies! Hmm. Thank goodness for Drunk History setting the record, um, straight.

• Love 3

My mom and I watched this together last night. She'd never heard of the show, let alone seen it, and when I told her it was coming on, I saw the doubt in her eyes.

Within 3 minutes, she was laughing her ass off, and telling me she needed to add this to her DVR. I love this show.

Good episode. I wish the Jim Thorpe section could have gone into the amateur/professional controversy a little. I realize time is limited, but it would have been an opportunity to talk a little more about what a terrible person Avery Brundage was.

I have to wonder if that was filmed and then edited out.  Otherwise, why call out Brundage, if you're not going to point out that he became IOC president and consistently refused to consider reinstating Thorpe's medals.

• Love 1

Somewhere, Tom Brady is laughing his ass off at this.