Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: The Great Deceiver

• Start Topic

Jan goes missing again and the FBI's hands are tied, but the Brobergs press on in their search for answers; the case takes a heavy toll on Pete as he digs deeper into B.'s past; Jan learns to blend in a strange new environment.

Air Date: October 27, 2022

The thread is for episode discussion ONLY, do not discuss real life events within the episode thread.

Agent Welsh is truly a good man. He's the only one who cares. His conversation with Bishop Paulsen is very hard to listen to.

Agent Welsh: “You could have stopped it.”

Bishop Paulsen: “He had repented, and I thought I was doing the right thing.”

And what Gail Berchtold said to Mary Ann, that's disgusting!

“I think Jan truly felt like she didn’t have a choice. She wants to be with him that much. You know… I wasn’t that much older than Jan when Bob and I first met. If she were my daughter, I really think I would just let her marry him. I guess if it brings her back, what does it matter what a piece of paper says?”

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Love 9

They were getting divorced.

Gail makes less sense to me than even Mary Ann tbh. I have to assume she's evil too and in on B molesting girls based on her actions.

The FBI agent is awesome. 

The bishop/church knowing B molested Jan before he even kidnapped her the first time is so infuriating. 

• Like 2
  • Love 5

I wonder if that FBI agent resembles anything that actually happened. (I'm not asking for true-story spoilers! I'm just watching and wondering.) Both actors in that bishop/FBI scene were excellent.

Well hey, at least the Mormons and the Catholics are being called out here! Equal opportunity institutional negligence accusations!

It's so sad to watch her look so scared and skeptical but then just light up and bounce right back when she sees B. He programmed her so well and isolated her from being able to be her real self around anyone else. No wonder she was ill enough to buy the whole thing, hook line & sinker. McKenna Grace is really good in this.

Of course he claims he came up with The Bionic Man and is getting a quarter-million dollar advance on his memoir.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

If what B did was so awful it got him excommunicated from the church, it wasn’t bad enough to inform the PARENTS of the child he assaulted so that they could at the very least keep her away from him, or choose to inform the police?? He propositioned the Bishop’s daughter when she was 14 and he was just ok with that?? 

The FBI Agent is awesome, the Brobergs are lucky to have him in their corner. I wish we had seen if Jan thought of her parents at all. She wasn’t motivated to call them and let them know she was ok???

• Like 3
  • Love 4

I wanted to touch on this- but I do wonder if all of this dismissal of B’s actions was because he didn’t confess to vaginal penile intercourse while Jan was asleep. I’m sensing there was (and perhaps still is) an attitude that if a girl was still a “virgin” and there was no fear of pregnancy, her reputation was intact, what the guy did was bad and “inappropriate” but not worth making a fuss over. 

7 hours ago, Glade said:

It's really gross that Gail is still B's flying monkey after all those years.  And its disgusting that of course the church protected B despite washing their hands of him.

So gross. And how was Mary-Anne lying for B? Mary-Anne was trying to get Jan back! My Mom said B was starting to get antsy because he is running out of money. That tuition isn’t cheap and I’m sure he’s got financial responsibilities at home.   

• Like 2
  • Love 1
On 10/30/2022 at 2:38 AM, Glade said:

It's really gross that Gail is still B's flying monkey after all those years.  And its disgusting that of course the church protected B despite washing their hands of him.

The higher-ups in the Church organization were protecting the church as well as B. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1