Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Judge Not

These are some nosy preachers. Lol. All up in folks business in the name of the Lord. Ron Gibson is way over the top. And I'm not sure why Jay is mad he didn't know if he says he would have married them anyway.

• Love 2

I believe Jay is mad because effectively he was lied to. D&D are both manipulative and not even that great at it. If you ask a minister to marry you on tv knowing 1) you are already married (although I'm not sure that ceremony was legal and not just for show to fudge the pregnancy timeline), 2) the bride is already pregnant again and 3) you were lying about being celibate during your engagement, you are in the wrong.I understand why Jay would feel the need to make it clear to his congregation, ministry associates and the viewing public that he was not part of the conspiracy. He would have married them if the truth was presented, but it wasn't and pointing out the lie isn't the same as being judgmental.

Dietrich also needs to be put in his place because for someone who says he has nothing to hide, he sure is sketchy about people knowing details and facts of events.

• Love 9

Deitrick was out of order for hiding the truth from Pastor Jay.  If he didn't think there was anything wrong with what he and Dominique were doing, then what's the problem?  He did all that pontificating in the "Mancave" session on how it's not sinful to shack up and whatnot.  Okay, but the sin is in fornicating, which you were doing.  Clearly.  There is not one, but there are *two* daughters as evidence.  He did not give Jay the ability to make an informed decision.

On the other side of this coin are Pastor (Bishop?) Ron and Bishop Noel.  Here's the point: Ron is a busybody.  He needs to mind his own darn business.  He was wrong for saying that Loretta doesn't need to be involved in Noel's ministry because she isn't his wife.  That is ridiculous and not even upheld by the Word.  That said, Loretta doesn't need to hold LaVette accountable for what Ron said.  LaVette is allowed to have her opinion but she isn't the one who is trying to keep Loretta from ministry.

I swear ... I love the Lord but things like this make it hard to be with church folks sometimes.  The judgment is rampant.

I'm not even going to speak on McClendon.  Why is he still a part of this show?

• Love 3

Oh, I totally agree about Pastor Ron being a busybody. I also think he is in his feelings about the "outreach" project because he is insecure and has to be the leader in order to validate his position in his own mind. I think Ron also perceives B. Noel to be more successful than he so, steering the conversation to gang intervention is his way of establishing himself as the subject matter expert. This was the one part of the show where I did not want to throw my shoe and Detrick. His comment about "We will fool around and get shot." was funny.

AND Pastor Ron is really a sexist (like 99.9% of pastors I have ever met). He is hiding behind non existent scriptures and church dogma to legitimize his belief that a single woman (no matter how skilled) is of little to no standing if she cannot validate her existence with marriage. I have been in churches where gifted single women were left to wither on the vine because women could only function in leadership if they were connected to a man. Meanwhile, couples and wives with little to no ministry gifts at all were promoted and placed in leadership based on their married status and ability to kiss up to the pastor.

I would also think that Pastor Ron would be a little more restrained with his "that's why this man will never marry you!" type of comments since he and his wife have been unable to produce children. It wasn't too long ago, that would be seen as a personal failure as well and people would lob that at you when you pissed them off.

Now even though Loretta's points may have been correct, she was ALL the way wrong for taking it to Lovette at the sip 'n see like that. She came in itching for a fight and made herself look like a bitter Betty even though the substance of some of her points was correct.

• Love 1

I would have agreed with Jay if he wasnt a last minute replacement. Dietrick didnt plan to use him but Noel didn't show and he asked him to officiate while getting dressed for the ceremony. So I'm not mad given the actual situation. Besides, I can't blame them for wanting to tell their families first.

Wow...I can't believe I just defended him. Cuz he usually gets on my nerves. Lol.

• Love 1

Oh, I totally agree about Pastor Ron being a busybody. I also think he is in his feelings about the "outreach" project because he is insecure and has to be the leader in order to validate his position in his own mind. I think Ron also perceives B. Noel to be more successful than he so, steering the conversation to gang intervention is his way of establishing himself as the subject matter expert. This was the one part of the show where I did not want to throw my shoe and Detrick. His comment about "We will fool around and get shot." was funny.

AND Pastor Ron is really a sexist (like 99.9% of pastors I have ever met). He is hiding behind non existent scriptures and church dogma to legitimize his belief that a single woman (no matter how skilled) is of little to no standing if she cannot validate her existence with marriage. I have been in churches where gifted single women were left to wither on the vine because women could only function in leadership if they were connected to a man. Meanwhile, couples and wives with little to no ministry gifts at all were promoted and placed in leadership based on their married status and ability to kiss up to the pastor.

I would also think that Pastor Ron would be a little more restrained with his "that's why this man will never marry you!" type of comments since he and his wife have been unable to produce children. It wasn't too long ago, that would be seen as a personal failure as well and people would lob that at you when you pissed them off.

I am in complete agreement.  I think Pastor Ron thinks of himself as an expert in communicating with gang members.  While I agree that his anointing is there and that Bishop Noel should make use of his connections in that area, there is no room for jealousy and being territorial in ministry.  Pastor Ron should be encouraged that someone else wants to join him in that ministry and go into the streets and speak to the brothers.

As you said, he's a sexist.  The Church can be a place of serious sexism and folks find things in the Scripture that aren't even there in order to keep women in their "place".

I support Dietrick as well he was asking Jay to perform the ceremony because he was his friend not his pastor. He felt like her was being judged and lashed out. I would like to see more of the pastors working with their congregation instead of being involved in each others personal lives.

(edited)

Truth. I was thinking, "Do you mean to tell me that these preachers have nothing better to talk about than Deitrick and Noel's personal lives?"  And folks think women gossip too much.  We all know Deitrick was wrong as 2 left shoes with his handling of his relations with Dominique; there's no point to keep rehashing the wrong once he married her.  At least Denver was legitimate! ;)    As for Noel and Loretta, if she likes it I love it. She has her reasons for sticking around him.

Edited by Stardancer Supreme

I really didn't see Ron Gibson as saying that a single woman can't have a ministry, or even that he was interfering in Noel Jones personal life.  Jones wanted to do some kind of revival with all the pastors.  They all should have had input as to the organizational side of things.  Last year, Noel described Loretta as a friend who owns a restaurant.  This year, she's suddenly the leader of his team.  When did that happen?

The event involves all of their reputations.  I don't know if it's in their best interests just to agree to let Noel's sometime girlfriend run the thing.  There are other things to be worked out, as well, like what to do with any offerings collected.  I just don't think all the pastors should bow to Noel Jones' ego, and do everything his way.  If that's the way he wants it, let him do the event all by himself.

I would go along with that *if* Pastor Ron hadn't made it quite clear, over and over again, that he thinks the relationship between Bishop Noel and Loretta is inappropriate and pushed them to marry.  I understand that his reputation may be on the line - he is well within his rights to bow out and say he doesn't want to have any part of it.  But going on about "Well, if Loretta is in it, then I want LaVette in it, too" is extra.  This was, in fact, Bishop Noel's initiative.  As such, he can put anyone to work on it that he so desires and the other clergymen can choose whether or not to engage.  Pastor Ron saw an opening to be messy and took it.

• Love 2

I would have agreed with Jay if he wasnt a last minute replacement. Dietrick didnt plan to use him but Noel didn't show and he asked him to officiate while getting dressed for the ceremony. So I'm not mad given the actual situation. Besides, I can't blame them for wanting to tell their families first.

Wow...I can't believe I just defended him. Cuz he usually gets on my nerves. Lol.

Reading this, a question just occurred to me that I'm sure will never be answered. Did Pastor Noel know about the pre-wedding wedding and the pregnancy? I don't think he did because if Dietrick had been honest with him, but in fact just skipped it with Joel because it was a last minute situation, I think he would have said that. But, Dietrick went straight to his regular response of out-yelling the other person to shut them down, accusing them of being judgmental and storming out instead. For that matter, I also wonder what the officiant of the backyard ceremony even knew. Because if I'm being accused of being a liar about something and it's really just an oversight due to timing, the easiest thing to do is own my part in the misrepresentation, explain about it being last minute and refer to the instances where I did share the truth about the situation.

Edited by red12
  • Love 3

I would go along with that *if* Pastor Ron hadn't made it quite clear, over and over again, that he thinks the relationship between Bishop Noel and Loretta is inappropriate and pushed them to marry.  I understand that his reputation may be on the line - he is well within his rights to bow out and say he doesn't want to have any part of it.  But going on about "Well, if Loretta is in it, then I want LaVette in it, too" is extra.  This was, in fact, Bishop Noel's initiative.  As such, he can put anyone to work on it that he so desires and the other clergymen can choose whether or not to engage.  Pastor Ron saw an opening to be messy and took it.

If the relationship isn't inappropriate why doesn't Jones just say that they're celibate?  I find it hard to believe.

But the truth is that they all seem a little shady to me.  They're living too high on the hog, and the ostentatious display of fancy cars, clothes, and houses doesn't seem right.

Edited by technorebel
  • Love 1

My favorite part was when Ron and Noel were going back and forth, arguing that the other one not only didn't give back to the community as much as they did, but didn't even have the capacity to give back as much as they did.

Best exchange?

Ron Gibson: What capacity do you have that Ron Gibson doesn't have?

Noel Jones (with maximum gravitas): Noel Jones

It's not just dueling egos, ladies and gentleman, it's the battle of dudes who speak about themselves in the third person!

Auntiemel finds that hilarious!

Anyway, as shady as Dietrich has been about his private life, it's moments like this that I love him. He's like, "All I see right now is two proud men trying to one up each other about who's the best." SO. MUCH. THIS!

Anyway, that's why I can't hate Dietrich. As much as he does annoying things, I do feel like his emotions are the most genuine of all the guys. He may be an immature hothead, but he's genuinely immature and angry, not just working it up for the sake of creating drama.

• Love 2

I like Dietrick a lot.  I think he seems fun and genuine, but he needs to be called on the carpet quite a bit.  He wants to be a leader in the Church but he also wants to be wild and free.  What he does is his own business, of course, but the truth is that within the Gospel industry, he's a celebrity.  That's what he wants for his life so he knows what to expect.  A person in leadership is scrutinized.  A celebrity is scrutinized.  So you can't sit alongside Gospel greats or church leaders and say, "Mind your business!  I can shack all I want and y'all are just judgmental!"  Well, yes, they are ... but, bruh, come on.  You want to make money off of singing the Word of God and then say, "But ignore that part about fornication when it comes to me.  Ignore the babies I had out of wedlock.  All is fine now."  Dude.  He's right - he doesn't have to ask the world for forgiveness.  The only forgiveness he needs is God's.  But he wants our money and our attention.  

Edited by SistaLadybug
  • Love 8

I think some people In the congregation might relate to Dietrick because of mistakes they have made in their own lives. Why does he get raked over the coals while no one ever asks Ron Gibson about the crimes he committed as a gang member?

• Love 1

I think some people In the congregation might relate to Dietrick because of mistakes they have made in their own lives. Why does he get raked over the coals while no one ever asks Ron Gibson about the crimes he committed as a gang member?

In my opinion, it's because Ron Gibson didn't commit those crimes while preaching from the pulpit.  Deitrick was singing and selling the Gospel while creeping with the girl in the choir.  I mean, let's just call it what it is.  It would be totally different if Deitrick had been a playboy in the past and was now saying what he'd been delivered or moved on from.  But this is very much his present.  He wants to be able to preach and sing the Word and not own up to his dirt.  

• Love 3

In my opinion, it's because Ron Gibson didn't commit those crimes while preaching from the pulpit.  Deitrick was singing and selling the Gospel while creeping with the girl in the choir.  I mean, let's just call it what it is.  It would be totally different if Deitrick had been a playboy in the past and was now saying what he'd been delivered or moved on from.  But this is very much his present.  He wants to be able to preach and sing the Word and not own up to his dirt.  

Exactly.  It's like when he asked Pastor Jay if he slept with his wife before marriage, and Jay said, "But that was before I was saved."  I won't even say anything about those nudie photos of Dietrick's (ok, I just did).

That being said, Dietrick is no longer a pastor.  I think of him as an entertainer.

Edited by technorebel

Exactly.  It's like when he asked Pastor Jay if he slept with his wife before marriage, and Jay said, "But that was before I was saved."  I won't even say anything about those nudie photos of Dietrick's (ok, I just did).

That being said, Dietrick is no longer a pastor.  I think of him as an entertainer.

Okay!  I fully admit to viewing those pictures.  (*ahem* God ain't through with me yet.)  I seem to remember my reaction being "I see why Dominique was down with it."  Moving on ...

I think of him as an entertainer now, too, but that means that Dominique is no First Lady.  Which is fine with me, but pick a lane.  Are you in the ministry or not?  Are you just a singer?  And if you're a Gospel singer, you're still going to be held to that standard.

• Love 3

I do have to say that the Bible does, indeed, have words about being a busybody: “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?"  Luke 6:41 (It's also repeated elsewhere in the Gospel.)

Thus saith the Lord, y'all.  Mind your own business.  Clean up your own yard.

• Love 1

I do have to say that the Bible does, indeed, have words about being a busybody: “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?"  Luke 6:41 (It's also repeated elsewhere in the Gospel.)

Thus saith the Lord, y'all.  Mind your own business.  Clean up your own yard.

At least you didn't say "log".  I blame Funky Dineva for posting those links and making an old lady look.  Some things, having been seen, cannot be unseen.

• Love 2

But did ya'll see the aftershow last night?

Ron is a lot to take.  Ain't no way 'the worl you can call me a Jezebel and I'm STILL sitting across from you justifying my relationship with my man.   I did laugh at him talk about how important relationships are while telling his wife to get her hand off his back though.  lol!

I pledged to give this up last season so I might've missed the cuts, what happened to pastor S Curl?  Techno you really wanna sideye some ostentatiousness? Girl there used to be an Al B. Sure blinged out rev up in here, full entourage, Bentley, quadrillion sq. ft. mansion and all that.

It hurt to see Loretta choked up into silence.  She really does love Noel.  It might hurt even more to give Bishop Ron any amount of shine but I agree with him, they're never getting married.  HE might get married but it won't be to Loretta, there's no incentive.   Noel's celibacy narrative is annoying.  Bro you've known her since the 90s.

Now then ladies, the Lord so loveth a cheerful giver, soooo about those Dietrick links?  You just oughta share.

• Love 5

Do you mean McLendon?  He's still on here with his mansion and entourage.  There's an aftershow?  I'll have to catch that.

Now I don't know how to post links, but if you go to funkydineva.com and type "haddon" into the search box, you'll see all the wonder that is Dietrick Haddon.  And you'll never forget that sight either.

Edited by technorebel
  • Love 1

Do you mean McLendon?  He's still on here with his mansion and entourage.  There's an aftershow?  I'll have to catch that.

That's the one.  I missed a big chunk of the episode last night.   Guuuurl.  It's better than the show.  {{sips tea}}

Now I don't know how to post links, but if you go to funkydineva.com and type "haddon" into the search box, you'll see all the wonder that is Dietrick Haddon.  And you'll never forget that sight either.

Speaking of big chunks......Praise Him.

I'll shut the door on my way out.

• Love 3

McLendon seems to be on a redemption arc this year.  He came off as arrogant and condescending last season, and I think he knows that.  But to me, he'll always be the guy who came home and asked his wife for divorce because the Lord had revealed to him who his wife should be, and it wasn't her.  I don't know why she didn't hit him upside the head with a cast iron skillet..."Is the Lord still speaking to you"...and whack.

I'm still feeling the love for Ron Gibson, though.  I don't want to find anything out about him other than that he loves his wife and his Glock.

Edited by technorebel
  • Love 1

I saw the aftershow.....That therapist dude is exactly what they need if they're gonna bridge their differences...I liked what he had to say.....For somebody to be short in stature from waht i've heard, Gibson sure likes to shoot his mouth off....Guess that's why he rocks the Glock wherever he goes....Can't believe how he talked to his wife either - what a thoughtless lout...And the way they reduced Loretta down to silence was just shameful....

There's just no way I woulda let that Whispers-impersonator call me a Jezebel and then Noel didn't open his mouth to defend her until much later....and what he did say wasn't much...

Gibson woulda had his nappyass moustache slapped around his face a la Daffy Duck, and I woulda cussed Noel (why does she call him NoELLE?) out for not saying nothing...That should let Loretta KNOW right THERE that he ain't here for her....

• Love 2

I saw the aftershow.....That therapist dude is exactly what they need if they're gonna bridge their differences...I liked what he had to say.....For somebody to be short in stature from waht i've heard, Gibson sure likes to shoot his mouth off....Guess that's why he rocks the Glock wherever he goes....Can't believe how he talked to his wife either - what a thoughtless lout...And the way they reduced Loretta down to silence was just shameful....

There's just no way I woulda let that Whispers-impersonator call me a Jezebel and then Noel didn't open his mouth to defend her until much later....and what he did say wasn't much...

Gibson woulda had his nappyass moustache slapped around his face a la Daffy Duck, and I woulda cussed Noel (why does she call him NoELLE?) out for not saying nothing...That should let Loretta KNOW right THERE that he ain't here for her....

tumblr_luwh8x5UQS1r6aoq4o1_500.gif

• Love 3

I would have agreed with Jay if he wasnt a last minute replacement. Dietrick didnt plan to use him but Noel didn't show and he asked him to officiate while getting dressed for the ceremony. So I'm not mad given the actual situation

But I think Jay probably felt like he was doing the wedding at the last minute because he also thought of Dietrick as a friend and assumed there were no other issues, such as are they getting married now because she is pregnant again, especially when camera crews are covering their actions.

My brother performed my wedding and my husband and I had to sit down and talk and counsel with him before he would do so.  Little sis did not get a pass, lol.

I believe Noel and Loretta are intimate.  But heck, their relationship has lasted close to 20 years, much longer than a lot of preacher marriages I know of.

Edited by SpringTulips
  • Love 4