Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: Shifu

Trini
  • Start Topic

As the Shen's prepare for Harmony Dumplings' grand reopening, they learn that they have become the latest victims of a crime wave that has hit their Chinatown community. As Nicky and the team prepare to take matters into their own hands, a run-in with a vigilante named Bo (guest star Ben Levin) leaves Nicky wondering who this mysterious stranger in her city is.

Elsewhere, following the legal fallout from her app, Althea and Dennis move back in with Mei-Li and Jin, and Ryan and Sebastian adjust to living together, while juggling their busy schedules. Finally, the unexpected arrival of someone from Nicky's past rocks her to her core.

David Grossman directed the episode written by Christina M. Kim & Robert Berens.

Airdate: 10/5/2022

On 9/28/2022 at 11:12 PM, Trini said:

Ryan and Sebastian adjust to living together

They looked thoroughly adjusted, to me.

I'm disappointed that the old BF isn't really gone. I never liked him. And I hate love triangles, which is clearly where the show is headed.

I did like the focus mainly on family and neighborhood instead of the epic battle to save the world and the other mytharc stuff that the first two seasons was absorbed with. I don't mind that Pei Ling is back, though. I know I'm being inconsistent, but I always liked her so I'm giving them a chance to win me over on that score.

• Like 1

Did anyone else's broadcast have really terrible sound? I had to really crank up the sound and it sounded weirdly echo-y.

I'm reserving judgement on the new guy. I wasn't a huge fan of Henry's but I'm even less of a fan of romantic triangles. 

Even risen from the dead Shifu can still kick ass. 

Why on earth would a gang want to blow up all of the random stuff they've stolen? 

I'm not commenting on Dennis and Althea having to move in with the Shens. Or sex jail, lol. I hate that they both did the right thing and have lost almost everything because of it.

• Like 1
(edited)

I've always liked how the opening titles show the theme/magical object for the season.

Liked seeing the Shens again, and Nicky got a job! I know the writers probably want to keep Dennis (& Althea) closer to the family, but I just don't buy that he would be reduced to being a waiter/barkeeper.

Not enough Henry, too much New Guy - who is already acting like part of 'Team Nicky'. I just makes me think that they're definitely going to go back to Nicky/Henry since they're moving so fast with this New Guy.

Not sure what to think about the crime ring/thefts mystery; but it's early. Not looking forward to whatever is going on with "Pei Ling".

Edited by Trini
  • Love 3

Kung Fu is back!

So, it really looks like Pei Ling is back somehow.  Well, kind of.  Seems like they are hinting that maybe both she and The Alchemist are somehow both in that body and while it looks like a now confused Pei Ling is currently in control, there is some kind of fight going on between them inside her mind.  So, yeah, I'm sure The Alchemist personality is destined to pop out some time this season.  Curious to see how this plays out.  And hopefully it will allow Vanessa Kai to interact with the rest of the cast going forward, instead of just Nicky/Olivia Liang.

Great seeing the Shen family and the rest of the gang, even if a lot has changed.  Nicky is now teaching at the center and basically being a shifu for others.  Althea and Dennis have moved back home and are clearly struggling with living with the parents (certainly affecting their sex life!)  Ryan and Sebastian are living together and seem to be going strong, at least (even if Ryan can be a slob, apparently!)  Evan has his own practice now, while continuing his thing with Nadia.  Seems like Harmony Dumplings might be in trouble though, which sadness me.

Not sure what to make Bo yet.  The actor was solid (find it interesting that he was also on Legacies like Olivia was before she got this show), but he seems a little too perfect.  Badass fighter and master hacker?  If he also has excellent medical skills, then he's basically just all of Team Nicky rolled into one which is kind of lame.  But we'll see how this goes.

Not sure what is going on with Henry, but I guess his mission will eventually bring him back into the fold.  The question is will he and Nicky have a chance at restarting their relationship?

Something is clearly going on with two rival gangs working together to steal supplies and even rigging the entire place to blow.  Have to think someone or something else is at play here.

No Zhilan mention, but Yvonne Chapman is still in the credits, so I'm guessing something is going down with her!

Edited by thuganomics85
It's Henry, not Eddie!
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Not sure what is going on with Eddie, but I guess his mission will eventually bring him back into the fold. 

You mean Henry? I'm just wondering if they'll connect him to the theft ring plot, or the "Pei Ling" plot.

• Love 1

Nice seeing the Shen's again and that the show is back, I like that they mostly focused on how the family and the rest of the gang is doing after everything that went down at the end of the last season. Nicky teaching at the center seems like a great job for her, Ryan and Sebastian are going strong, Evan started his own practice and he and Nadia are still together, and Althea and Dennis are struggling after he got disinherited and she lost her business. Sadly it sounds like Harmony Dumplings is struggling, which I hope changes soon. It looks so tasty, I am really am surprised that they have struggled so much, although the repairs are probably bleeding them dry and the restaurant game is rough no matter how good your food is. 

This new guy seems a bit too good to be true. He's a badass vigilante fighting crime in the neighborhood and also a hacker and also has medical training and also seems like a great guy who already acts like he's practically running Team Nicky, and he is clearly into Nicky at just the time when she's feeling lonely and missing Henry, especially as her siblings and friends are all in happy relationships. I don't know if he's a bad guy, I don't really think he is, but he might be something even worse...the start of a love triangle. Ugh, CW love triangles are almost always painfully awful, my guess is that this guy is the perfect man who Nicky rebounds with just in time for Henry to come back looking to reconcile, and it will be drama until Bo, being perfect, steps aside so that Nicky and Henry can be together. 

Bo, Henry, and Althea trying to frantically defuse the bomb via internet searches was really funny, definitely the most I liked Bo. 

It will be interesting having the resurrected Pei Ling around now, although it looks like she's sharing a body/consciousness/something with the Alchemist, which is presumably tied to her coming back to life. Looking forward to where this goes, and the mind switching highjacks. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Ugh, CW love triangles are almost always painfully awful, my guess is that this guy is the perfect man who Nicky rebounds with just in time for Henry to come back looking to reconcile, and it will be drama until Bo, being perfect, steps aside so that Nicky and Henry can be together. 

To be fair, this show's previous love triangle (Evan/Nicky/Henry) wasn't that bad, and was resolved fairly quickly. I'm just annoyed they want to introduce a new love interest after Nicky/Henry have been established for a whole season. I thought they liked Henry! I'm guessing Nicky and Henry get back together, or Nicky doesn't end up with either guy, so New Guy (as a love interest) is pointless either way.

• Love 1

I thought this was a solid season opener.  The quality of the show has really gotten better since Season 1.  The dialogue is much snappier and enjoyable.  And this show has a fun light-hearted vibe while maintaining drama and suspense.   An example was Althea and Ryan helping Nicky at the beginning.  

SuperHenry 2.0 was charismatic, and I was surprised to like him so quickly.  I hope Henry will be back soon and I'm not a fan of triangles, but I thought he had good chemistry with Nicky and Althea.  The bomb diffusing scene was funny but also might have been slightly too goofy, even for this show.  And good point, as mentioned above, that Bo was a little too super with his talents.

I was pleasantly surprised Nicky already suspected the Alchemist might be in Pei Ling.  This is better than Nicky being fooled for multiple episodes.  I like the actress so I'm glad she is able to play a bigger role.  Nicky ditching everyone to find Pei Ling was understandable but rather inconsiderate, though they ended up not needing her help.

I don't have a good feeling about the investor to the restaurant.  

The Henry scenes didn't tell us much.  He better have a good reason for ghosting Nicky.  In this day and age, it would be tough to find a credible excuse.

I must say I was glad to hear Mia is away at a monastery.  This show has enough characters to juggle and I think her arc was over.

The Matron app was pretty funny.  I agree it was ridiculous to have Dennis tending bar, given his background.  It seemed like a cheap way to put a regular in one of their existing sets.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Quark said:

Solid premiere, but why does Harmony Dumplings have to always be in trouble? Give the restaurant a break, writers.

No other way to keep the parents involved...

• Sad 1
3 hours ago, paigow said:

No other way to keep the parents involved...

Alternate Season 3 premiere.  The parents attend an aerobics class which ends up unlocking their inner ninjas.  "Nicky, you save the world.  We will take care of the stolen appliances!"

• Love 1