Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E19: Qualifiers 5

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, TCubillas said:

My prediction: Mayyas and Aubrey Burchell with go through!

Definitely the Mayyas. (Had to google Aubrey because I couldn't remember who that was.)

Watching the Japanese boyband or whatever they are....the one guy just sounded totally off key for a second. (Also, "watching" is a strong word in this context.)

30 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Definitely the Mayyas. (Had to google Aubrey because I couldn't remember who that was.)

Watching the Japanese boyband or whatever they are....the one guy just sounded totally off key for a second. (Also, "watching" is a strong word in this context.)

😁 Yeah, Aubrey was the young lady with autism that killed it in her audition doing a Weeknd song -

I think she'll be a dark horse, but hope she makes it through 🙏

Edited by TCubillas

I might like to see the pole dancer go through...

And I paused both my game and youtube video to watch the Yo-Yo guy. I don't think he'll go through but I wouldn't complain if he did.

Edited by ams1001
7 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

I agree, the Mayyas are Amazing!  Unique & so in-synch, and lovely to watch..

While I was watching I thought, "They need to win this. What are they even doing here?!" (Though I'm very glad they are because I probably would never have heard of them if they weren't.)

• Love 4

I pretty much never say this about the singers but both Kristen and Aubrey were really good. Judges need to have their Xs disconnected once the lives start. They aren't the ones making any decisions. Danger act was well done, yo-yo guy was fun, Australian dancer was nice but nothing spectacular. Magician was okay, comedian didn't bomb but I have no urge to hear more from him, Why wasn't Celia put forward for the Wild Card?

Mayyas get the final pimp spot of the qualifiers, of course. Wasn't expecting the snake hands, that was a trip. Whomever does their choreography should have their phone ringing off the hook now.

Predict Mayyas and Kristen will advance. I wish a good future for all the acts with their raised profiles after appearing on the show.

• Love 5

I had kind of a let down since I thought tonight was the final.  Well, we're almost there!

Kristen Cruz - Her performance just seemed something you would see on a local talent show.  Her song choice just fell flat.

Aubrey Burchell - She was the better of the two singers.  We'll probably see her in the finals next week.

Blade 2 Blade - Good performance but seeing this act many times.

Jordan Conley - I don't remember his audition, so he must have not been funny the first time and he wasn't funny this time either.

Kristy Sellars - A new twist on pole dancing but a bit of a bore.

Max Ostler - I guess someone who knows this type of dancing would appreciate his performance.  I don't like that type of dancing so I was bored stiff!

Mervant Vera - His rapping annoyed me.  Plus, this trick we have all seen before performed by better magicians.

Shu Takada - Yoyoing is not my thing but he was very entertaining!  I would not be upset if he went through.

Travis Japan - This act wasn't very good and sure their voices were a bit pitchy, but what rubbed me the wrong way is the judges had no problem letting them know about their vocals but didn't say anything about Gracie Vanderwaal's very pitchy vocals.  Yeah I know, telling her about her pitchy vocals would send her into a deep depression.  Oh Lord!

Urban Crew - I think I enjoyed this act more than the Mayyas.  It was exciting and alive and something I could seepaying to see in Las Vegas. 

Mayyas - This was my second best act of the night.  They gave a great performance again.  I did like their audition better.

Going through probably will be Mayyas and Aubrey Burchell. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

There was more talent this week than the last few combined. 

• Kristen Cruz - good voice, uninspired performance. 
  • Mervant Vera - he was better the first time. The concept is unique, but the performance was flat. My question was "where's the magic?" 
  • Travis Japan - I think the engineers screwed them, because they sounded terrible. Bye! 
  • Max Ostler - personal choice, but I don't really care for dance. 
  • Jordan Conley - upbeat personality, but not funny at all. With good joke writers, he could be successful. 
  • Kristy Sellars - I thought she was fantastic. We've seen similar acts, but this was well done. 
  • Blade 2 Blade - meh. Exact same as last time. It's been done. 
  • urbancrew (Flyers of the South) - we've seen it done before, but they were good at it. 
  • Aubrey Burchell - she's a very good vocalist, but I don't think it was the best song for her. Has a very good shot at going through. 
  • Shu Takada - when you get down to it, still a yo yo act. 
  • Mayyas - there's a reason they were the last act of the entire round. They're set up to win. The night was theirs to win, and they rose to the occasion. One of the best AGT performances I've seen. 

Top 3 - Mayyas, Aubrey, Kristy. Definitely Mayyas and probably Aubrey going through. 

Rest of the top 5 - tough call. Kristen, urbancrew and Shu maybe. Blade 2 Blade, Max, Jordan unlikely.  

No chance - Mervant, Travis Japan. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, rr2911 said:

I had kind of a let down since I thought tonight was the final.  Well, we're almost there!

Kristen Cruz - Her performance just seemed something you would see on a local talent show.  Her song choice just fell flat.

Aubrey Burchell - She was the better of the two singers.  We'll probably see her in the finals next week.

Blade 2 Blade - Good performance but seeing this act many times.

Jordan Conley - I don't remember his audition, so he must have not been funny the first time and he wasn't funny this time either.

Kristy Sellars - A new twist on pole dancing but a bit of a bore.

Max Ostler - I guess someone who knows this type of dancing would appreciate his performance.  I don't like that type of dancing so I was bored stiff!

Mervant Vera - His rapping annoyed me.  Plus, this trick we have all seen before performed by better magicians.

Shu Takada - Yoyoing is not my thing but he was very entertaining!  I would not be upset if he went through.

Travis Japan - This act wasn't very good and sure their voices were a bit pitchy, but what rubbed me the wrong way is the judges had no problem letting them know about their vocals but didn't say anything about Gracie Vanderwaal's very pitchy vocals.  Yeah I know, telling her about her pitchy vocals would send her into a deep depression.  Oh Lord!

Urban Crew - I think I enjoyed this act more than the Mayyas.  It was exciting and alive and something I could seepaying to see in Las Vegas. 

Mayyas - This was my second best act of the night.  They gave a great performance again.  I did like their audition better.

Going through probably will be Mayyas and Aubrey Burchell. 

Exactly the two I predict to go through! 👍

1 hour ago, Superclam said:

There was more talent this week than the last few combined. 

• Kristen Cruz - good voice, uninspired performance. 
  • Mervant Vera - he was better the first time. The concept is unique, but the performance was flat. My question was "where's the magic?" 
  • Travis Japan - I think the engineers screwed them, because they sounded terrible. Bye! 
  • Max Ostler - personal choice, but I don't really care for dance. 
  • Jordan Conley - upbeat personality, but not funny at all. With good joke writers, he could be successful. 
  • Kristy Sellars - I thought she was fantastic. We've seen similar acts, but this was well done. 
  • Blade 2 Blade - meh. Exact same as last time. It's been done. 
  • urbancrew (Flyers of the South) - we've seen it done before, but they were good at it. 
  • Aubrey Burchell - she's a very good vocalist, but I don't think it was the best song for her. Has a very good shot at going through. 
  • Shu Takada - when you get down to it, still a yo yo act. 
  • Mayyas - there's a reason they were the last act of the entire round. They're set up to win. The night was theirs to win, and they rose to the occasion. One of the best AGT performances I've seen. 

Top 3 - Mayyas, Aubrey, Kristy. Definitely Mayyas and probably Aubrey going through. 

Rest of the top 5 - tough call. Kristen, urbancrew and Shu maybe. Blade 2 Blade, Max, Jordan unlikely.  

No chance - Mervant, Travis Japan. 

Yes! Same. I would guess, and hope, that Mayyas and Aubrey go through! 

• Love 1

Uncle Nigel wouldn't even give that dancer a pass through a first audition.  Simply not strong enough. 

Magician's rap shtick was clever.  The magic wasn't obvious enough, except for the final seat message reveal.  If I were in the audience, there is no way I would not have noticed as I came in that a paper was stuck under all the seats.  You betcha I would have checked it out straight away.

Cruz the singer really does have a cool tonality.  The song choice fit her type perfectly, imo.  The problem is her voice is not about melisma (those horrid runs everyone does).   I would think very hard about making her my second pick.

Misogynistic material always makes me burst into fits of laughter.  How 'bout you?  Man, was that bad.  Now, add in the carjackings and senseless public beatings we are all seeing and his cartoon movie threats were just right on point.  AmIright?   This was an alltime bad misread of the current zeitgeist.  He really does get a "Wow!" from me.  Horrible.

Boy band.  zzzzzzzzzz

Love the yo-yo guy.  He would be no worse than my third choice.  Sure, it's yo-yo.  Yet, his inventive athleticism is remarkable.

The Mayyas are the clear act to beat for the overall title.  I genuinely look forward to seeing the highlights tonight with the enriched video and stop-action editing.  The snake hand was stunning.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Misogynistic material always makes me burst into fits of laughter.  How 'bout you?  Man, was that bad.

You mean you don't like the implication that women are owned by their men and if a bigger stronger man comes along she can just be transferred to his custody?

There is a song that I like, musically speaking, because it's kinda fun, but that's basically the theme of it. Singer is in love with a woman but she's already "taken" by a bigger, stronger guy, but he's willing to (literally) fight for her anyway (spoiler: he gets himself killed). Nowhere in the lyrics is there any indication that she is in love with him and wants to leave her partner (the lyrics even say she's "gonna fall in love" not that she is in love).

I didn't dislike him the first time but I wasn't a fan of tonight's material.

20 minutes ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Love the yo-yo guy.  He would be no worse than my third choice.  Sure, it's yo-yo.  Yet, his inventive athleticism is remarkable.

He's just fun to watch.

20 minutes ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

The Mayyas are the clear act to beat for the overall title.  I genuinely look forward to seeing the highlights tonight with the enriched video and stop-action editing.  The snake hand was stunning.

I don't know if I'll be able to actually watch tonight (will probably just check in here to see who goes through if I can't) but I might have to go watch them on the AGT facebook page again.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

comedian didn't bomb but I have no urge to hear more from him, Why wasn't Celia put forward for the Wild Card?

Assuming those 2 sentences are related, the comedian was the wild card out of 4 people to get to this round. There should still be one spot in the finals for someone who got eliminated, though I'm sure Terry has said how that'll work a dozen times, I don't remember if it's a fan vote or a judge pick. Putting on a sleep mask and ear plugs as soon as the show starts leads to missing out on those details.

• LOL 2
5 hours ago, Superclam said:

As far as I can tell from the dubious rules of this show, each judge will pick one act to be chosen by live voting tonight. Or something. 

I was glad to see the ventriloquist, Celia Muñoz, was voted in as the wild card. She'll be a good addition to the final

Late to the party, but I noticed the Mayaas and the magician got a friendly camera angle--the camera was pointed in one place the entire time, so you could actually watch the act as if you were live, kind of.

The magic trick worked better that way, but it's a tell of producer meddling--and not every magician got that edit.  (I LIKED the magician.  It was a good variant to me of an oil-and-water trick, and I figured out how he did the page-in-a-book trick.)

Spoiler

Heidi called out "page 49", and in most normal books, page 49 is on the right.  His was on the left, so he probably had places early, middle, and late in the book with the right word on them.  We never saw the numbers.  There are more complicated ways (like using a sticky note with the word printed on both sides), but that would be the easy way.

Edited by marketdoctor
ETA: I may have been wrong, but that's how I would do that part of the trick