Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Poker Face

• Start Topic

Well there was a little interest in Pepper's ID this episode, but mostly in the sense of "we have no idea." I wonder if revealing that her relative has passed helped her, since it might have made the others feel like they were less likely to know who it is, even if they had Pepper's clue.

What I really need is for these people to start showing more interest in Logan's relative. He's not doing anything wrong, but his "I'll just sit back and let the ladies start all this drama" act is starting to wear thin, especially when he's causing a lot of the drama himself...he's just doing it quiet-like.

Finally: I really liked Pepper's outfit at elimination! It was really snazzy 🥰 (Perhaps she inherited a sense of style from you-know-who)

Edited by tracyscott76
43 minutes ago, QQQQ said:

I would have been screwed trying to name one cast member of Girls Trip, let alone four 😂

Ueah, I don't think I even remember seeing trailers for it. 

Kai's questions were tacky.

I'm astonished they aren't busy trying to figure out Logan's relative, unless they've all gone "I bet he's related to a country singer and all I can name is Dolly Parton".

I thought Louise's "strategy" was interesting -- share everything she knows so everyone will want to keep her around as an asset.

Really makes me wonder about the casting -- a celebrity's identical twin (X) and a sibling lookalike don't seem like they should even be involved.

• Like 3

So some the contestants need to find info on Logan, Lark,  or Pepper.  Because the others are going to be screwed when they hit the final 4.

The recurring theme of everyone knowing Louise so the challenge is useless is hilarious.

Also, asking questions related to Martha Stewart to Lark was hilarious.  Lark "Does  my relative know Snoop Dog?"

Edited by seltzer3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

The show seems very reluctant to dole out Logan's clues to the audience, also. As in, not clues that we infer to be his, but ones that he specifically calls out as his in talking heads. We've seen him reference the cowboy hat during the fashion show, and...a belt buckle maybe, during the "object in a box" challenge? Am I forgetting something? Even Pepper has had more than that: olives, suit jacket, handkerchief [there's also

Spoiler

the rat

in the telephone game, but I don't think she referenced that as her clue, it's just implied to those who think/know her relative].

The guy's a wall, and while nice enough, not interesting enough to be hidden this way (imo).

ETA: Upon reflection, maybe this is leading up to a final 2/3 of Logan, Pepper, and Lark, so there's some true suspense for the audience up to the very end. It wouldn't be super exciting if it came down to Amara and Louise, for example, who we've known since the beginning. I won't rule out LC for the end though, since she seems to be a protagonist more so than anyone else.

Edited by tracyscott76
3 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

ETA: Upon reflection, maybe this is leading up to a final 2/3 of Logan, Pepper, and Lark, so there's some true suspense for the audience up to the very end. It wouldn't be super exciting if it came down to Amara and Louise, for example, who we've known since the beginning. I won't rule out LC for the end though, since she seems to be a protagonist more so than anyone else.

I think you're on to something.  We know the celebrity relatives of the other three (Amara, LC and Louise) because they've already been revealed to us on the show (and Louise is a complete carbon copy of Simone).  But maybe one or two of the other will be revealed in the next couple of episodes?  Then we would have a mixed bag of some known and some unknown relatives going into the finale.

15 hours ago, Gravity Check said:

Really makes me wonder about the casting -- a celebrity's identical twin (X) and a sibling lookalike don't seem like they should even be involved.

I'm curious if they intentionally casted people connected to one celebrity relative.  I'm not sure how they would handle someone from a celebrity family like Frankie Jonas.   If Frankie was a contestant and not a host, he would have three well-known relatives (plus two very famous sister-in-laws).  Would the show pick one or be like nah, all of your brothers are fair game?

21 minutes ago, zenithwit said:

I'm curious if they intentionally casted people connected to one celebrity relative.  I'm not sure how they would handle someone from a celebrity family like Frankie Jonas.   If Frankie was a contestant and not a host, he would have three well-known relatives (plus two very famous sister-in-laws).  Would the show pick one or be like nah, all of your brothers are fair game?

I'm sure that was intentional, to avoid any ambiguity.

I think it's an interesting mix in casting, ranging from very "of the moment" people (Zendaya, for example), to people who are perhaps past the peak of their popularity but still very much in the public consciousness (e.g. Whoopi), to people who are well past being in the public eye (even to the point of having been deceased for some time, in the case of Pepper's grandfather).

As for why they cast people who were virtual lookalikes of their famous relatives, there was probably an element of "who can we get for this brand new show?" and a certain amount of taking what they could get. Not that Louise or X were bad casting choices (both are/were entertaining) just that their options might have been limited so they couldn't avoid having some who were basically "gimmes".

To get this back to the episode, I'll go on the record as saying that I don't think there was anything wrong with Kai's questions for Louise. She felt she had to do something to throw her off, since it would be hard to make her lie. The stinky feet question might have been pushing it, but I thought the Logan questions were fine. Obviously her plan didn't work, but I don't know what else she could have tried.

On 8/15/2022 at 11:03 PM, tracyscott76 said:

What I really need is for these people to start showing more interest in Logan's relative. He's not doing anything wrong, but his "I'll just sit back and let the ladies start all this drama" act is starting to wear thin, especially when he's causing a lot of the drama himself...he's just doing it quiet-like.

This. I've been enjoying Logan but he came off like a real asshole with a twinge of misogyny in this episode. 

19 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

Upon reflection, maybe this is leading up to a final 2/3 of Logan, Pepper, and Lark, so there's some true suspense for the audience up to the very end. 

That's what I'm thinking for the F3, otherwise it's just gonna be very anti-climatic lol.

15 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

To get this back to the episode, I'll go on the record as saying that I don't think there was anything wrong with Kai's questions for Louise. She felt she had to do something to throw her off, since it would be hard to make her lie. The stinky feet question might have been pushing it, but I thought the Logan questions were fine. Obviously her plan didn't work, but I don't know what else she could have tried.

I agree. They were supposed to talk through the questions and decide as a group what to ask. So, did Kai just go completely off script of what they agreed to?

• Love 1
57 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I agree. They were supposed to talk through the questions and decide as a group what to ask. So, did Kai just go completely off script of what they agreed to?

I think what the Jonasi said was that the group could talk through the questions, but it was ultimately up to the designated questioner to decide what to ask. So it does seem like Kai didn't do what the group had decided on, but that was totally in bounds. I'm not even sure what they did decide on, actually - there seemed to be a lot of uncertainty. So props to Kai for trying something. And for the players who complained that Kai "threw" it (looking at you, Logan), I'd sure love to know what he would have done instead that would have been so super successful.

The indicated Amara was truthful when she said her relative was not a reality TV star, but Whoopi is on the View. That's could be considered reality TV, right? It's a talk show, but it isn't a scripted series. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, sara416 said:

The indicated Amara was truthful when she said her relative was not a reality TV star, but Whoopi is on the View. That's could be considered reality TV, right? It's a talk show, but it isn't a scripted series. 

In a broad sense, reality TV has several sub-genres, but I think when most people refer to it (or to a "reality TV star"), they are specifically talking about 1) types of shows like this one, Survivor, Big Brother, Bachelor/ette etc., where there's some kind of ongoing competition over a whole season (i.e., not a "one winner per episode" game show like Jeopardy or Wheel of Fortune), or 2) a "people hanging out going about their business while we watch" kind of show like the Real World, Real Housewives, Kardashians, etc.

So when they asked Amara about her relative being a reality tv star, I think they and she were all using this definition, rather than a broader "non-scripted" definition.

Right, I don't think talk shows are ever included in the reality show category, including here on Primetimer (they're under Talk, News, and Non-Fiction). And if Amara believes the View is not a reality show, that's what counts for lie-detector purposes, not whether it actually could be in that genre or not.

On 8/16/2022 at 11:40 AM, tracyscott76 said:

That's an interesting idea, that the show is purposely not revealing those three's relatives because they're F3.  Although also kind of spoilery once you make that connection, lol. I agree, I won't rule out LC either, only because everyone is so convinced that Laurence Fishburne is her relative. I'm not sure they would pivot to Keke Palmer even if/when someone is eliminated after guessing LF.  Can't wait to see the looks on their faces when that happens!

• Like 1

The only person I can think of for Logan (because cowboy hats don't exactly narrow down country stars) is that he SOUNDS amazingly like a certain big singer (speaking voice, anyway - don't recall his singing voice).  There are clues they could give for that star outside of music, but I don't believe they have yet.

Love that LC is just rolling with the Fishburne thing, and Lark with Martha Stewart. 

On 8/15/2022 at 11:03 PM, tracyscott76 said:

Well there was a little interest in Pepper's ID this episode, but mostly in the sense of "we have no idea." I wonder if revealing that her relative has passed helped her, since it might have made the others feel like they were less likely to know who it is, even if they had Pepper's clue.

Finally: I really liked Pepper's outfit at elimination! It was really snazzy 🥰 (Perhaps she inherited a sense of style from you-know-who)

I literally was yelling that at my screen! "You ladies need to start looking at Logan, you're too focused on each other and he's sliding through"

On 8/16/2022 at 2:09 PM, seltzer3 said:

So some the contestants need to find info on Logan, Lark,  or Pepper.  Because the others are going to be screwed when they hit the final 4.

The recurring theme of everyone knowing Louise so the challenge is useless is hilarious.

Also, asking questions related to Martha Stewart to Lark was hilarious.  Lark "Does  my relative know Snoop Dog?"

LOL I'm currently binging the episodes and just finished this Ep. I literally said it looks like Logan Lark and Pepper could be the F3 at this point