Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E05: ...been ghosted

• Start Topic

I think coaches recruit during sophomore year (there are only a certain amount scholarships awarded for D1 teams per year), and he was injured during that time so he missed out on scholarships. The recruiters also probably won’t pay attention to a junior who was injured the prior year.  I’m guessing then he realized swimming wasn’t his entire life and decided that he needed some decent grades to get into college.

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 2
9 hours ago, twoods said:

I think coaches recruit during sophomore year (there are only a certain amount scholarships awarded for D1 teams per year), and he was injured during that time so he missed out on scholarships. The recruiters also probably won’t pay attention to a junior who was injured the prior year.  I’m guessing then he realized swimming wasn’t his entire life and decided that he needed some decent grades to get into college.

That is not at all how recruiting works. Missing a single season due to injury, whatever year, is not going to take an athlete off of recruiters radars. And you can't even sign a letter of intent until you are a senior. You can get scholarship offers and make a verbal commitment, but that is completely nonbinding for either side, it's mostly just a way for an athlete to encourage other schools to lay and focus their efforts elsewhere. Very few athletes have hard offers after their sophomore year, even fewer make a verbal commitment at that early stage and limit their options that early. Most have not reached anything close to their peak by that point. Missing a sophomore season isn't going to equate to missing it on scholarship opportunities, recruiters will monitor, evaluate, and pursue uncommitted athletes up to signing day. And this isn't 1960, very few injuries are viewed as career ending, especially for a young athlete. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 1

Thanks. I was looking all this over online and read that scholarship offers start sophomore year, and I’ve known a few teens who talk about scholarships sophomore or junior year. So I’m just chalking this up for “TV drama” so Paxton can grow and get out of his “dumb hot jock” label.

• Useful 1

I too really liked the Fabiola/Paxton scene, I don’t know if they have ever shared that much screen just the two of them, like the Fabiola/Ben subplot in the last episode. I really like the pairing mixing happening this season.                       

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Like 3
  • Love 3
On 8/14/2022 at 10:02 AM, moonshine71 said:

Missing a single season due to injury, whatever year, is not going to take an athlete off of recruiters radars. And you can't even sign a letter of intent until you are a senior. You can get scholarship offers and make a verbal commitment, but that is completely nonbinding for either side, it's mostly just a way for an athlete to encourage other schools to lay and focus their efforts elsewhere. Very few athletes have hard offers after their sophomore year, even fewer make a verbal commitment at that early stage and limit their options that early. Most have not reached anything close to their peak by that point. Missing a sophomore season isn't going to equate to missing it on scholarship opportunities, recruiters will monitor, evaluate, and pursue uncommitted athletes up to signing day.

That makes sense, except that I thought Paxton is now a senior. But even if he is a junior who was injured during sophomore year, doesn't he need to be swimming this year in order to still be considered for a scholarship? 

I had the impression that he just gave up on swimming and the possibility of a scholarship after the injury.

2 hours ago, Paloma said:

I had the impression that he just gave up on swimming and the possibility of a scholarship after the injury.

The show never explored it, but I wonder if the injury gave Paxton the excuse to give up on swimming and the possibility of a scholarship. He didn't seem to miss it much, so I wonder how much of his pre-injury investment was his or his parents'.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
On 8/27/2022 at 12:05 PM, Paloma said:

That makes sense, except that I thought Paxton is now a senior. But even if he is a junior who was injured during sophomore year, doesn't he need to be swimming this year in order to still be considered for a scholarship? 

The post I was responding appeared to suggest Paxton might have given up swimming BECAUSE missing his sophomore season would take him out if the running for a scholarship, which it absolutely wouldn't. Now, obviously, just giving up swimming and not going back to it after missing that season would take him out of the running for one.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 8/14/2022 at 2:02 PM, ProudMary said:

The Fabiola/Paxton scene was great. I'm enjoying the different dramatic pairings this season.

On 8/15/2022 at 1:09 AM, tennisgurl said:

I too really liked the Fabiola/Paxton scene, I don’t know if they have ever shared that much screen just the two of them, like the Fabiola/Ben subplot in the last episode. I really like the pairing mixing happening this season.                       

Yes they were great together. Both the actors were having fun with the scene. 

I liked the lead child actress at Kamala’s new apartment complex, she was a hoot. I would enjoy her popping in a scene every now and again at Kamala’s apartment.