Type keyword(s) to search

S1.E01: Summer House

• Start Topic

It’s the first real day of summer: the day Belly, her brother Steven, and her mother Laurel head to Cousins beach to stay with Susannah Fisher, who is like Belly’s second mother, and her boys Conrad and Jeremiah. Belly’s been going to Cousins since she before was born, but something about this summer feels different for Belly. And if the first night is any indication, she’s right.

Original airdate 6/17/22

Just started this and it’s very cute so far. I like the young lead actress, and really like the actress who plays her mother. Immediately disliked the kid playing Conrad and it took me a while to realize it’s because he looked so much like Bram from Colony, another boring sullen teenage son. I know the triangle will be btwn him and the cutie from the party though. 

The older teen brother might as well be an annoying younger brother because he really is that annoyingly immature. But fun summer show. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Isn't anyone watching this?  I enjoyed the first episode.  I think the girl playing Belly is fantastic.  Some of the other acting initially seemed a little cringey but seemed to improve as the episode went on.

A few things that confused me - the kids all seem to think of each other like best friends and family, and yet it was presented that they don't see each other or communicate at all during the year when they aren't together?  Did I miss something?  Susannah's house in Cousins is the family's permanent home, correct (as in, Belly and her brother live in a different town)?  In this age of texting and social media, I would think contact between them would be continuous, even if they don't live by each other.  Belly was unaware of the change in Conrad and no one knew he had quit football.  Odd.

Same with Laurel and Susannah.  If it's just a drive away, I would think Laurel would go to Susannah's house other times during the year, which likely means Belly would as well.  

I'm confused about Cam's introduction for this same reason.  He's a "local" and Belly is not from there, but they went to 7th grade together?  That whole exchange was kind of muffled and rushed to me.

Obviously, I can tell I missed some key factor 😆   

• Like 2
  • Love 1
On 6/30/2022 at 11:31 AM, Kiki620 said:

A few things that confused me - the kids all seem to think of each other like best friends and family, and yet it was presented that they don't see each other or communicate at all during the year when they aren't together?  Did I miss something?  Susannah's house in Cousins is the family's permanent home, correct (as in, Belly and her brother live in a different town)?  In this age of texting and social media, I would think contact between them would be continuous, even if they don't live by each other.  Belly was unaware of the change in Conrad and no one knew he had quit football.  Odd.

I thought the same thing there. The novel this was based on was published in 2009, which, even then that was into the social media age.

• Love 1
On 6/30/2022 at 4:31 PM, Kiki620 said:

A few things that confused me - the kids all seem to think of each other like best friends and family, and yet it was presented that they don't see each other or communicate at all during the year when they aren't together?  Did I miss something?

That did seem strange. I guess the author grew up before the internet age and hadn't really thought this through. Because the two families really should be in constant communication with each other throughout the year.

Susannah's house in Cousins is the family's permanent home, correct (as in, Belly and her brother live in a different town)?

Susannah's house in Cousins is her family's summer home. Her family and Belly's family live in different places for the rest of the year and come to Cousins for the summer.

I'm confused about Cam's introduction for this same reason.  He's a "local" and Belly is not from there, but they went to 7th grade together?  That whole exchange was kind of muffled and rushed to me.

Cam and Belly did not go to school together. They met at a Latin convention that was attended by kids from many different schools.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

I smell an annoying triangle, but so far I’m liking it. I’m sure the characters will get irritating and unbearable to watch once the drama starts so I will enjoy this while I can. 

Edited by twoods
On 7/1/2022 at 9:24 PM, SeanC said:

I thought the same thing there. The novel this was based on was published in 2009, which, even then that was into the social media age.

But social media wasn't like what it is today. Back then Facebook was still a big deal and most people interacted with it on a computer instead of their phone. Remember the iPhone was only 2 years old in 2009 and quite expensive. And there weren't a lot of good, cheaper options available. 

On 6/30/2022 at 9:31 AM, Kiki620 said:

I turned on CC for that and still didn't completely understand it. The actor playing Cam spoke so fast and not very clearly.

On 8/10/2022 at 11:03 AM, Aryanna said:

But social media wasn't like what it is today. Back then Facebook was still a big deal and most people interacted with it on a computer instead of their phone. Remember the iPhone was only 2 years old in 2009 and quite expensive. And there weren't a lot of good, cheaper options available. 

I turned on CC for that and still didn't completely understand it. The actor playing Cam spoke so fast and not very clearly.

Late post, but just watched the first episode. I was a senior in high school in 2009 and I still find it hard to believe that these kids aren't IMing each other on AIM during the school year. That is how I stayed in touch with my sleep-away camp friends.