Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E10: Phoenix Rising

Meh episode.  Not much going for it, but there wasn't much I didn't like. 

Angela was weird.  I don't understand hiding the letter at all.

Since when did Jane "almost die"? 

• Love 2

I'm just happy to see more Korsak & Isles.  I'd be fine watching that show.

Also I giggled at Maura's flight attendant impression.  Can't help it.

Edited by aethera
  • Love 2

Jane and Maura had wine and bickered as per usual.

Just a slight correction. Maura had either wine or champagnie, but Jane had beer in her champagnie flute. I thought that was a good character trueism (unlike last week when Maura had a beer).

I liked this week's episode. I like learning more about Korsak. Also, I was totally not surprised that Angela hid the letter. I was only surprised that she'd only kept it 2 days, and not a week. The new computer expert is growing on me, but what about Frankie taking courses to learn more...oh wait, that would involve continuity.

• Love 1

I like the Maura/Korzak scenes. They work really well together.

Seriously, Jane seems to be more and more like Angie.

And they need to stop this overprotective drama of Angela. It is tiresome. I am so
sick if it.

A fan ask on Twitter about Hope and Jan answered that Sharon Lawrence is busy with her Amazon Chris Carter show. Yes she is busy now. But R & I started filming way back in March and they could havw gotten her before her show was picked up by Amazon since they only filmed one episode before it being picked up. In my opinion, there was never any plan to bring back Hope since season 5 is all about Jane.

I used to like Angela now I cannot stand her.

I don't get having Angela quit her job & break up with the captain.  It makes it harder to shoehorn her into episodes, which is consequently making her more annoying to me.  She never used to bother me, but the last few episodes, she does.

I like the new computer tech, but I don't get Frankie at all.  "I'll never be in homicide" as long as Jane is there, except he spends 100% of his time working...in homicide.

• Love 5

Hated the Angela scenes -- she is too good an actress to waste here. 

Enjoyed the case. I was happy the guy wasn't guilty and was able to reunite with his son.  I was also thrilled that the boyfriend didn't do it (I was incorrectly predicting that they normally boat that weekend, but due to an off track blizzard/ the perfect storm/ red tide that the alibi was going to be blown apart.  So glad Jane wasn't right.  (That's not to say I liked the boyfriend.  The wife/mother had really bad taste in me.))  Maura and Korzak (and Maura with the new tech girl) were great!  It was nice to see a little more Isles.

Hated Jane's take on the sexy librarian.  This is where the books and the  tv series definitely don't match up.  The character in the books, which predates the tv series, has Jane as a frumpy, frizzy-headed detective who never uses her gender.

I thought Korsak was kind of dickish to the evidence room guy, who was just doing his job, but then that same evidence guy, bent the rules for Jane's "librarian wiles". So apparently he did have some discretion that he wasn't afraid to use if he wanted to.

That calendar must have been pretty tame to be acceptable in the workplace.

Hated Jane's take on the sexy librarian.  This is where the books and the  tv series definitely don't match up.  The character in the books, which predates the tv series, has Jane as a frumpy, frizzy-headed detective who never uses her gender.

At least she seemed to be having some trouble getting the costume details right.

• Love 1

I came in on the last few minutes of the first airing -- so I saw Maura pouring product placement beer in a champagne flute for Jane, and the two of them nearly snuggling on the couch to wait up for Angela -- and then plum forgot to watch the later airing.

But, when I first saw the preview for this episode, my mind, like Maura's, went to early '60s flight attendant rather than librarian upon seeing Jane's getup.  I'll see how things play out when I catch the repeat next week, but in general the "secretly sexy librarian" trope can die in my book.

Angela Rizzoli of the Rizzoli Hour is ruining this show for me. I used to enjoy it but she enrages me so much, I can't sit through an entire episode. Taking the letter and steaming it open, withholding it and she gets I love you Mom. Way to reward the behavior you bitch about there, Detective. Ugh.

I agree with you whiteowl. Unfortunately, it seems that Angela will be in every single episode this season. She no longer works in the cafe and has broken it off with Cavanaugh and yet, we still see her every episode. My annoyance with her has reached its highest level. She is so intolerable now. But it is the Rizzolis show so of course Angela has to be there.

This season, well, we have Jane pregnant, then she has the toughest time dealing with Frost's death (she can't bear the thought of anybody taking his desk, then she had the Casey issue, she gets injured and loses the baby. And what does Maura get this season so far, oh, yeah, she gets a man. Let's all clap and give Jan Nash a pat on her back because Maura actually has a story line. And yeah, we got to see paddy that nobody really cares about. I'd rather see Hope. Does anybody remember Hope? 

And yet, we have Angela being shoved down our throats every week and her dumb issues about wanting to be free and do something for herself and yet, here she is still living with Maura and babying Jane. Really?

Edited by IndependentMind
  • Love 2

Did I see a look given to Maura from Korsak?  I might have misinterpreted it but it seemed to linger on his look at her in the park.  Hmm, maybe he was just appreciatively looking at her. She did look stunning this episode. :)

You know I never resented Jane/Angie until this season. She just irritated me.,Jane the character and Angie the actress. Angie is nice I know and very likable but I also think she wants to always be the center of attention. She pretty much just talks and tweets about an episode when it is Jane-centric. She can't stop talking about it.

Jan Nash made me really not like Jane this season because it is just all about her. And now, I can't watch the show at real time. I watch it on DVR so I can skip Jane parts.

It is also so sad that it seems Maura isn't at all affected by Frost;s death. She was the day he died and the funeral but after that it was only Jane that is so affected by it. Yeah Frankie and Korzak too but Maura, it's like Frost wasn't her friend? That just irritated me. If anything, Maura and Barry had a falling out before he died because he blamed her for his girlfriend breaking up with him. 

Jane was Frost's partner; it makes sense to me for her to be more affected.  And certainly for her to be more visibly affected, since his absence in the squad room, on the streets, during interviews, etc. is a constant reminder.  Working separately, Maura doesn't have the same daily reminders that he's gone.

I should be home in time to catch tonight's repeat, since I missed this episode last week, but I'm not looking forward to Angela annoying me again -- she's been doing it all summer season.

• Love 1

Yes but to have Maura not be affected by it at all and just have Jane, Korzak and Frankie, that doesn't seem right to me because she considers Froist not only a colleague but as a friend. I still think they should have her at least, when she comes to the precinct look over to his desk and somewhat still remembers Frost.

I don't even know why Angela is in every episode. She is unemployed and I don't understand why she is there for? They have to write things that don't make sense sometimes and all because she has to be in every episode.

Because I was puttering around when I got home, I watched this one on a small TV -- was Jane wearing a black tank top or similar under her "librarian" blouse and I just mistook it for a bra, or was she really walking around with a shirt unbuttoned so low her bra was hanging out and NO ONE commented on it, nor did she button back up once she got the info she was seeking?

Please.

And as if a suit tailored for Maura would fit Jane.

Angela is just unbearable lately.  If my mother steamed open and hid my mail, especially a document letting me know when I could return to the job I love, there are a number of possible reactions, but inviting her to watch a movie is not on that list.

• Love 2