Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E11: The Ultimatum

Streaming Here: http://www.nick.com/videos/clip/legend-of-korra-211-full-episode.html

As Ba Sing Se continues to erupt into chaos, Mako and Bolin struggle to leave the city to deliver Zaheer's message to Korra.

Holy crap, that was intense.

I wasn't a fan of Kai being the one to do something while Jinora stayed behind, or of the fact that poor little Opal was used as a hostage. Otherwise I thought the episode was pretty damn spectacular.

The tension in the second half was just gripping. All that happened in eleven minutes? It felt longer than that. 

Tenzin was whupping Zaheer's anarchist ass, before he got ganged up on. Of course, the camera panned away, before we could see what ultimately became of him. I'm going to believe Tenzin's very, very much alive thank-you. Following up the Earth Queen's death, with the death of a beloved, major character would bring this Y7 (*snort*) show up to 'Game of Thrones' level. And I don't see the showrunners doing that. 

Now, would be a nice time for rurouni/wandering Toph Bei Fong to just show up (re: "Wonder how twinkletoes' kids doing?")

Edited by transgojobot

I can't even remember what happened with Korra and the gang in the first half, because the second half was seriously intense. It had some really fantastic action.

I honestly expected either Tenzin or Kya and Bumi to die. You know a fight scene is intense and well executed when I actually fear for the life of major characters in a non-finale episode. The way they left it as a cliffhanger, I don't see them doing it. Cliffhangers with clear good/bad outcomes just never end badly, at least not on kids shows. Then again, a murder-suicide happened. Who the hell knows.

I have to say, bending-wise, I really enjoy this group of villains. The lavabending dude brings something that we haven't seen before, the combustionbender is a nice callback to old Sparky Sparky Boom Man, Zaheer is the first airbending villain, and the waterbending woman utilizes an advanced version of Katara's water whip as a weapon. I would like to get some more backstory on them, but I'm not sure that can be crammed into the last two episodes.

Loved it! The first half was all right, cute even, but the second half was amazing, and freaking brutal! Damn!

I was afraid they'd have Tenzin job to Zaheer to prove how dangerous he is and I was thrilled to see that wasn't the case. Tenzin kicked his ass with ease! I don't think Zaheer even landed a single blow!

If the finale can keep the momentum from the past couple episodes going then it'll be the first Korra finale I'll actually enjoy.

• Love 1

Brutal is definitely the word!

I was worried for Tenzin when he said to Zaheer that as long as he could breathe, it wasn't over.  I kept expecting Zaheer to do to him what he did to the Earth Queen - and that would truly sadden me if we lose him.

So far, it seems the suspicions about Su Yin were a red herring. 

I have a hunch Mako's and Bolin's family will end up living with the Metal clan, if anything because they have the possibility to make the most of themselves there, something they didn't have in BSS.

Another cameo from Iroh!   It's always good to see him.

Count me in the 'holy shit that was intense' camp. This one is definitely one that bears re-watching and I would say the last bit of this season is looking to be the best LoK we've ever had. Some things I noted:

> All things related to Zuko are a win. General Iroh's voice and sage advice, Bolin's star-struck reaction, Korra listening to him for guidance... all of that seemed to flow so organically and naturally. I'm glad they finally addressed that Korra isn't speaking to her past lives, though the reason remains unclear. I've always thought it was because they didn't want to make the show about Aang, but there might also be an in-show reason and that is good writing.

Following up the Earth Queen's death, with the death of a beloved, major character would bring this Y7 (*snort*) show up to 'Game of Thrones' level. And I don't see the showrunners doing that.

Part of why children's television is sometimes disappointing is that without fail, you always know the good guys will win and the bad guys will lose. As dire as the situation is, there is never any real tension or gravitas. Even though I think it's highly unlikely that this won't end well for the air nation and Tenzin, I was extremely impressed by how the show made a point of emphasising what's at stake here. Mentioning Aang was a good move on that score, I think.  Tenzin is always a pleasure to see in action, but he's never had to fight a pro air bender before, so that was nail biting as hell. Tenzin's voice actor is brilliant too - "As long as there is breath in my body, it's not over" could have been a cliche line but it just came off so well - the right balance between being defeated and resilient.  One negative point: the water and lava members of the Red Lotus really could have slaughtered Bumi and Kya in the first 5 minutes - I don't know why they didn't.

I have to say, bending-wise, I really enjoy this group of villains. The lavabending dude brings something that we haven't seen before, the combustionbender is a nice callback to old Sparky Sparky Boom Man, Zaheer is the first airbending villain, and the waterbending woman utilizes an advanced version of Katara's water whip as a weapon.

The bending and fight scenes this season are fantastic - I particularly liked the close shaves Kya had with those ice daggers as well as when her opponent got knocked off the ledge and came back up with eight water whips and a dishevelled evil grin. Definitely has something to do with her having the same voice actress as Azula. Zaheer and Tenzin were incredible to watch, the animation may have let the fight down in a couple of frames, but holy fuck! The highlight for me was when Zaheer was in the air and did an extra little spin (which I took as showing off) and Tenzin used that to knock off his balance. It just spoke volumes about their personalities.

All in all, a solid and well-deserved A!

Edited by lovedwallflower

This last 5 mins of the episode were brutal, but it started way too slow. I was missing a sense of urgency in trying to get the message to the temple.

Getting out of Ba Sing Se wasn't interesting to me: grandma was annoying, and the extended family of Mako/Bolin seemed WAY too chill considering their city was falling apart. Then they had to go to the desert to follow tracks when it was obvious that Korra would head back to the Misty Palms Oasis (imo).

I'm not a huge fan of Kai's bad boy / hero thing, Jinora is EXTERMELY powerful as an air bender / spirit master and she's

being sidelined. (Actually, have we ever seen Jinora in a fight using air bending and not spirit powers?)

Bolin with Meelo on the radio really annoyed me! It was humour at the wrong juncture. Bolin should be freaking out that his beloved Opal is in the temple but ... nothing. He gets distracted with news of baby bison! However, I did laugh at how Meelo reacted to his "Commanding Officer".  Still, I miss having Varrick crazy / Desna&Eska deadpan style humour more often this season

The scene in Zafou where everyone announces what they're going to do to prepare felt particularly clunky somehow. And while I loved Zuko's reaction to hearing about Iroh did Korra need to go into the spirit world to get the idea that Zuko & Aang were friends? She should have known that, right?

The fight scenes at the end were intense ... I loved seeing the first airbender duel the world has seen in over 2 centuries and Tenzin is a baddass, but I expected more from Kya even though Tentacle Water Girl is scary. I actually love it when Bumi gets into a scrap like he did at the end of last season. He has a mix of luck/ingenuity that always throws his enemies off balance. 

Tenzin is always a pleasure to see in action, but he's never had to fight a pro air bender before, so that was nail biting as hell. Tenzin's voice actor is brilliant too - "As long as there is breath in my body, it's not over" could have been a cliche line but it just came off so well - the right balance between being defeated and resilient.

While I think Tenzin dying is a fakeout..(I hope so at least!!), him saying he'll fight until his last breath, with the camera panning out while the RL is beating him up was worrying to say the least.  I for one was freaked out until I calmed down and started thinking about it rationally. 

Edited by keyboardbender
  • Love 1

Yes I agree, the weak characters were predictably weak - I am convinced that Bolin and Mako's entire family is lobotomised and/or doesn't understand English. It's probably difficult to animate a bunch of extra faces, but yeah, weird nonetheless.

Bolin's radio scene didn't bug all that much - it was short and useless but I'm glad he wasn't worried about precious Opal. She's such a plot device in every storyline she's in: airbender in Metal City / Bolin's love interest / damsel in distress... I sincerely hope she's written out of this season - a nice sharp ice dagger will do nicely.

And while I loved Zuko's reaction to hearing about Iroh did Korra need to go into the spirit world to get the idea that Zuko & Aang were friends? She should have known that, right?

Now that I think about it, this felt a bit off to me too. I'll give her a pass on not thinking that Zuko could help her - I think that in her mind, Zuko is much less relevant than Tenzin or Lin - and we know how long it took her to adjust to them as authority figures. What bugs me is: why was Zuko at the Oasis? He was conveniently placed there to give Korra advice and understandably left to protect his daughter (who better not look like Mai!). Seems like if he wanted to talk to Lin they could have radioed or something. 

Edited by lovedwallflower

Actually, have we ever seen Jinora in a fight using air bending and not spirit powers?

In the first season when Jinora and her siblings fought off Ammon's invaders on Avatar Island.  Even Lin commented how well Tenzin trained them.

I actually love it when Bumi gets into a scrap like he did at the end of last season. He has a mix of luck/ingenuity that always throws his enemies off balance.

Bumi is supposed to have been this great military leader and strategist yet I have no evidence of that in anything he does.  He rose to a high rank in the United Forces, but luck can only take you so far.  He doesn't even seem to have any military style discipline.

[Zuko] left to protect his daughter (who better not look like Mai!).

Mai didn't look all that ugly!  Or is it that there's someone else Zuko may have married in the intervening years?

Ok, I just can't get past this - an entire group full of airbenders, and they didn't airbend the airship away from them when they saw it coming? Or airbend the air out of the airship when she started attacking, or airbend a gust to knock her out when she was standing at the open door? How did they not do any of this, and let her keep circling around and firing at them?

• Love 1

Ok, I just can't get past this - an entire group full of airbenders, and they didn't airbend the airship away from them when they saw it coming? Or airbend the air out of the airship when she started attacking, or airbend a gust to knock her out when she was standing at the open door? How did they not do any of this, and let her keep circling around and firing at them?

P'li was pretty high up and the air benders down there were still very new. I doubt that would have managed to pull this off.

I was thinking the exact same thing!  I saw how people were pointing out how Jinora is a better airbender than Kai, yet was standing on the sidelines while he did all the work.  Why were they all doing that?  We as the audience have seen Tenzin's children fight the adult Equalists, Jinora help Korra defeat Unavaatu, Opal jump between the daughters of one of the most powerful Earthbenders in the series with fledging powers, and all of the recruits successfully defeating poachers.  Sure, attacking P'li head-on might have been dangerous, but why couldn't a group use their airbending to deflect their attacks?  It was working when Kai was doing it.  Even if they're scared, it's either the risk or leave themselves at the mercy of the Red Lotus.

It all feels like a contrived way to make it so that Korra has to save them.

• Love 1

Yes I agree, the weak characters were predictably weak - I am convinced that Bolin and Mako's entire family is lobotomised and/or doesn't understand English. It's probably difficult to animate a bunch of extra faces, but yeah, weird nonetheless.

Bolin's radio scene didn't bug all that much - it was short and useless but I'm glad he wasn't worried about precious Opal. She's such a plot device in every storyline she's in: airbender in Metal City / Bolin's love interest / damsel in distress... I sincerely hope she's written out of this season - a nice sharp ice dagger will do nicely.

Now that I think about it, this felt a bit off to me too. I'll give her a pass on not thinking that Zuko could help her - I think that in her mind, Zuko is much less relevant than Tenzin or Lin - and we know how long it took her to adjust to them as authority figures. What bugs me is: why was Zuko at the Oasis? He was conveniently placed there to give Korra advice and understandably left to protect his daughter (who better not look like Mai!). Seems like if he wanted to talk to Lin they could have radioed or something. 

Wow, you don't like Opal much do you? Well until now she is a bit of a Mary Sue, true, but I like how she handled Bolin's immaturity in an adult way and how she tried to heal the rift between her mother and aunt.

Re: Zuko being in the jazz bar, I thought about that at the end of 'Long Live the Queen'....him being there was pretty random and contrived, they just wanted him to talk to Korra and make me have to change my pants PS: Sorry to have to tell you but Zuko probably married Mai and never had kids with Katara. Face it, shipper! :D

I was thinking the exact same thing!  I saw how people were pointing out how Jinora is a better airbender than Kai, yet was standing on the sidelines while he did all the work.  Why were they all doing that?  We as the audience have seen Tenzin's children fight the adult Equalists, Jinora help Korra defeat Unavaatu, Opal jump between the daughters of one of the most powerful Earthbenders in the series with fledging powers, and all of the recruits successfully defeating poachers.  Sure, attacking P'li head-on might have been dangerous, but why couldn't a group use their airbending to deflect their attacks?  It was working when Kai was doing it.  Even if they're scared, it's either the risk or leave themselves at the mercy of the Red Lotus.

It all feels like a contrived way to make it so that Korra has to save them.

I'd say it was contrived so that Kai can once again save the damsel Jinora. 

The first half was okay, the hugs were cute, Tenzin v Zaheer made the second half but as a whole the episode didn't meld well. 

• Love 1

This last 5 mins of the episode were brutal, but it started way too slow. I was missing a sense of urgency in trying to get the message to the temple.

I agree.  You would think that Mako and Bolin would try to warn Tenzin before looking for Korra.

Mako and Bolin lack intelligence and strategy skills. I feel like they are on the show more for plot purposes (if they need comedy or romance or a heartfelt family scene). If Asami had been there, I think it would have occurred to her to radio Tenzin first.

They didn't have a radio on the airship, it got stripped out by the looters.

They might have found a spot in the Queen's palace with a powerful radio.  Or at least tried to find one before stealing the air ship.