Type keyword(s) to search

X-Files Episode Elimination Game

At this stage of the game, with nothing but beloved episodes left and thus elimination votes being cast based on the tiniest of things, MM got my vote because of the awful VOs. 

That's why I picked it too. 

And at this point I think this has become a game of which episodes I rewatch the most as much as anything else.  

Pretty much.  Because how else can you possibly choose from such fantastic episodes?  Eenie meenie...?

That's why I picked it too. 

Pretty much.  Because how else can you possibly choose from such fantastic episodes?  Eenie meenie...?

Eenie meenie chili beanie, the spirits are about to speak.  :)

• Love 1

Lol, Teso Dos Bichos rated lowest. I'm not surprised.

Cool site!

Space and Fight Club weren't too far behind, either.   I'M SHOCKED! 

ETA:  I'm pleased to see Bad Blood floating up so high!  #1 on that graph!  Although, what happened to Detour?!?! 

ETA some more:  I found it interesting that if you change the Y-Axis from autoscale to 0-10, even the crap X-Files episodes still rank pretty high.

Edited by queequeg

José Chung's 'From Outer Space' is out with 3 votes 6 points (I'd express feelings over this but, really, at this point almost anything can go) and in a shocking twist I'm gonna play hardball and eliminate both Ice and Memento Mori with their even 3 votes 4 points. Meanwhile, Detour received 2 votes.

Beyond The Sea

Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose

Pusher

Small Potatoes

Detour

Bad Blood

Vote for two episodes in order you want them gone.

Pusher

This is an outrage.

animated-rampage.gif

When we're done with this elimination thing, can we have everyone list their top 10 or something?  I'm curious what everyone's would be, because clearly we're a little all over the place.  lol. 

Edited by queequeg

José Chung's 'From Outer Space' is out with 3 votes 6 points

My feelings on this would violate site rules, so I'll keep them to myself.

Pusher

Beyond the Sea

Oh, the agony.  But as much as I love those episodes, they ranked last among the remaining.

• Love 1

Detour, even though I love you, you're the first to go.

And I'm having a tough time choosing between Pusher and Beyond the Sea, but I think I'm gonna go with Pusher.  Beyond the Sea gets extra points for being that awesome in the first season, so I can't vote it out yet.  Yeah.  Ask me again in 10 minutes and I might change my vote.

Alright, I'm just going to go ahead and have my sad little tribute to Detour.  'Cause I'm sad and I'm running out of eps that are in my top 5.  #firstworldproblems

So many great moments:

x-files-unspoken-communication-detour.gi

Yeah, you see that? (Grabs her arms) We don’t need that conference. We have communication like that, unspoken. You know what I’m thinking.

SCULLY: You were an Indian Guide. Help me out here.

MULDER: Indian Guide says maybe you should run to the store and get some matches.

SCULLY: I would, but I left my wallet in the car.

(SCULLY sits beside him and picks up her gun.)

MULDER: What are you doing.

SCULLY: Trying to open my gun. (Her clip pops out.) If I can separate the shell from the casing maybe I can get the powder to ignite.

MULDER: Oh. And maybe it’ll start raining weenies and marshmallows.

SCULLY: Do I detect a hint of negativity?

MULDER: No. Yes ... actually. Yeah.

SCULLY: Mulder, you need to keep warm. Your body’s still in shock.

MULDER: I was told once that the best way to regenerate body heat was to crawl naked into a sleeping bag with some body else who’s already naked. (Snuggles closer.)

SCULLY: Well, maybe if it rains sleeping bags, you’ll get lucky.

x-files-detour-rains-sleeping-bags.gif?w

MULDER: Go, team. 20 more bodies and we’ll win the Honey-Baked Ham.

And this, just because:

x-files-detour-mulder-furniture.png

Edited by queequeg
  • Love 2

It's curtain call for Beyond the Sea (5 votes) and Detour (4 votes). I gotta give a hand to Detour for coming in 5th place, a great episode but wouldn't have guessed it. Pusher got 3 votes and CBFR got 2.

Penultimate round!!

Pusher

Small Potatoes

Bad Blood

Vote for the two episodes you don't want in the final round in the order you want them gone.

I can't believe Small Potatoes made it to the final four!  I don't think I'd even put it in my top ten.

Small Potatoes is my number two, easily.

Pusher

CBFR

I'm curious as to who of us "suffers the most" when we compare our own top 10 to the top 10 in the game.

I have yet to successfully compile a top five list, so I'm not sure I'd ever settle on my top ten.  My first tie is at the third place slot, and it only gets more convoluted from there.  I could maybe come up with ten, but ranking those ten ... I'd probably have one, two, four-place tie for third, and four-place tie for fourth.

Well, Pusher's going out, clearly.  Bummer, because I was hoping to get to vote for it (to win) in the final round.  I knew it wouldn't win overall, but I thought it might be top 3. 

Small Potatoes

. I'd probably have one, two, four-place tie for third, and four-place tie for fourth.

Pretty much.  Actually, I have a tie for first place (Pusher and Bad Blood).

Edited by smrou
  • Love 1

I gotta give a hand to Detour for coming in 5th place, a great episode but wouldn't have guessed it.

It's a thoroughly enjoyable episode with a bunch of terrific little moments and dialogue, and what earns it bonus points from me - elevating it to a higher position than it might normally attain in my rankings, given the number of great/really good episodes - is how utterly pitch perfect a breath of fresh air (for the characters, and the audience) it was after the cancer arc.

Beyond the Sea gets bonus points from me for context as well, that one for being so damn good back at a time when the show didn't yet know what it was doing and for finally giving Gillian/Scully something to do other than tag along and do autopsies (without which we might well have had a very different series, although I like to think the potential would have been realized at some point, regardless).

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

As much as Small Potatoes is far and away my second-place episode, I can't get upset at Pusher or CBFR winding up there. 

(Voting for Bad Blood in this round, however ...)

It's a thoroughly enjoyable episode with a bunch of terrific little moments and dialogue, and what earns it bonus points from me - elevating it to a higher position than it might normally attain in my rankings, given the number of great/really good episodes - is how utterly pitch perfect a breath of fresh air (for the characters, and the audience) it was after the cancer arc.

This is pretty sums up how I feel.  It was exactly what the series needed, fans needed, and Mulder and Scully needed.

• Love 1

CBFR and Small Potatoes, though I love them both.

I really like the idea of Pusher vs. Bad Blood in the final round.  It's like the best of both sides of XF, you know?  The best of the dark vs. the best of the light.

That's a nice thought, Taryn, but I'm afraid it's not to be. Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose is out with 5 votes. 3rd place is soclose but Pusher is gone with 4 votes 7 points. Small Potatoes got 4 votes 4 points. Bad Blood received 1!

Finals!

Small Potatoes vs. Bad Blood

Vote for your winner!!

Edited by joelene
I really like the idea of Pusher vs. Bad Blood in the final round.  It's like the best of both sides of XF, you know?  The best of the dark vs. the best of the light.

Right?  It would've been perfect.  But alas.

I vote for Bad Blood.

That's a nice thought, Taryn, but I'm afraid it's not to be.

I demand a recount!  There's gotta be some hanging chads or something!!!  *desperate*

J/k of course.  ;)

Bad Blood ftw!  Although I almost want to vote Small Potatoes just to show it some extra love.  I really do love that episode LOL.

• Love 1

There are so many great moments in Small Potatoes that I really want to love it more.  But something about Van Blundht has always creeped me out enough that I think it has colored my opinion of the episode overall.  If I can just not think of what Van Blundht was doing, it would help greatly.   But soooo many cute moments and lines.  Very quotable episode!

I love that Bad Blood is also Gillian's favorite episode.

I think it might be the only one she remembers. :)

Very quotable episode!

I definitely think Small Potatoes is one of the most quotable episode (possibly second only to Bad Blood).  But I don't place it in my top two because it feels just so light.  So I love it and it's easily one of my most watched episodes, but when trying to choose an all-time favorite I guess I look for something with a little more heft.  Bad Blood, while obviously a very funny episode, feels like it packs a bigger punch.  And Pusher has an intensity that I just love.  So Bad Blood and Pusher up at the top (tied, I think, since I just don't know how to compare two such different types of episodes) and Small Potatoes is in with probably a few other episodes on the next rung down.

Edited by smrou
  • Love 2

I started on a top 10 but it's made me want to go into fetal position 'cuz it's just TOO. DAMN. HARD. But it will be done. It must be done! Maybe a top 15...

I can draw a pretty definitive line at 22 eps that are my best of the best and I'm trying my damned hardest to whittle down and rank them.

Edited by joelene

Or rank your 22!  I'm still stuck at 5.  lol.  I've got a definite top 5 that are for sure, and then the struggle begins.  Like do I want to do this on quality?  Episodes that I reach for the most?   Are they one in the same?  I don't often rewatch a lot of the heavier episodes, though, or the mytharcs because they're often a set of 2 or 3 episodes that kinda need to be watched together.

ETA:  OK, I think I've got it down to 10ish.  Although, I did cheat and list two episodes together b/c they are part of a trilogy and I can't mentally separate them.  I'm also noticing I skew heavily towards the earlier seasons.  But I can do more than 10 if I need to.  :)

Edited by queequeg

The clear winner is Bad Blood with 6 out of 7 votes! Did anyone doubt this outcome? Yeah, me neither. Congrats! You're simply the best! Better than aaall the rest!

And the all stars ranking reads:

46. Scary Monsters

45. Improbable

44. 4-D

43. Release

42. Vienen

41. Chinga

40. Per Manum

39. The Truth

37. Alone (tied)

37. Existence (tied)

36. Deadalive

35. The End

33. Millennium (tied)

33. Requiem (tied)

32. X-Cops

31. The Host

30. Dreamland II

29. Die Hand Die Verletzt

27. Redux II (tied)

27. The Goldberg Variation (tied)

26. Home

25. Irresistible

24. Unruhe

23. Monday

22. Tithonus

21. Anasazi

20. Syzygy

19. Eve

18. Je Souhaite

17. Field Trip

16. Leonard Betts

15. Squeeze

13. Wetwired (tied)

13. How the Ghosts Stole Christmas (tied)

12. One Breath

11. Darkness Falls

10. Paper Hearts

09. José Chung's 'From Outer Space'

07. Ice (tied)

07. Memento Mori (tied)

06. Beyond the Sea

05. Detour

04. Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose

03. Pusher

02. Small Potatoes

01. Bad Blood

Some interesting deviations:

Pusher wins season 3 but previously it came in 2nd. JCFOS came 1st but now 3rd.

Beyond the Sea wins season 1 but previously came in 3rd after Ice and Squeeze.

Season 2 was originally only narrowly won by One Breath but Die Hand Die Verletzt had the same number of votes. Now DHDV ranks 29! Crazy!

Redux II originally came in 2nd but Detour now won between the two by a landslide.

HTGSC wins season 6 which was previously won by a tie between Monday and Field Trip. Now Field Trip is ranked 17 and Monday is all up in place 23.

Season 7 and Season 4 are the most consistent although Memento Mori did tie with Small Potatoes during that season.

Edited by joelene

Okay, I gave myself five minutes to do a top ten list, knowing I couldn't come up with one if I had proper time.  I think the top five is actually rather accurate, but six through ten are quite arbitrary.  And I included two that didn't even make the all-stars list, but, hey, this is MY top ten.

1. Bad Blood
2. Small Potatoes
3. JCFOS
4. CBFR
5. Beyond the Sea
6. Pusher
7. WoTC
8. Monday
9. Humbug
10. Field Trip

• Love 1

Yeah, I'm just gonna make a plunge and do it. As it stands this minute:

1. Bad Blood

2. Darkness Falls

3. Die Hand Die Verletzt

4. Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose

5. José Chung's 'From Outer Space'

6. Squeeze

7. Unruhe

8. Leonard Betts

9. X-Cops

10. Irresistible

First five are pretty accurate for me too, I think. Probably. And six to ten... Well everything pretty much what Bastet said. Six to ten I could also switch for five others in ten minutes.

The rest of my favs I chose from were (and this is kind of the order I would have put them... right this minute)

Wetwired

Small Potatoes

Pusher

Ice

Beyond the Sea

Field Trip

Tithonus

Folie a Deux

Syzygy

Home

Humbug

Detour