Type keyword(s) to search

Season 11 Discussion

• Start Topic

Discuss all things season 11 here. Designers and episodes listed below.

Originally aired from January 24, 2013 - May 2, 2013

Designers:

• Amanda Valentine
  • Benjamin Mach
  • Cindy Marlatt
  • Daniel Esquivel
  • Emily Pollard
  • James Martinez
  • Joseph Aaron Segal
  • Katelyn "Kate" Pankoke
  • Layana Aguilar
  • Matthew Arthur
  • Michelle Lesniak Franklin
  • Patricia Michaels
  • Richard Hallmarq
  • Samantha Black
  • Stanley Hudson
  • Tu Suthiwat Nakchat

Episodes (TVDB):

1. Road to the Runway - Season 11
  2. There Is No I in Team
  3. Spin Out
  4. Surprise Me
  5. The Ultimate Hard And Soft
  6. A Little Bit Country, A Little Bit Rock And Roll
  7. Senior Fling
  8. A Sticky Situation
  9. Take It All Off!
  10. He Said, She Said
  11. The Art of Fashion
  12. Finally on My Own
  13. Europe, Here We Come
  14. Finale: Part 1 and 2
  15. Season 11 Reunion Special

I still like Kate alot, though I know to most people being friends with Helen is an unforgivable sin.  (And alot of people hated her before then for reasons I never understood.)  I think if you take her two seasons as a whole, she has an interesting arc--a demonstration of the value of experience and approaching PR as a game to be played rather than simply a design showcase.

Joseph Aaron seemed like a sweetheart too, though he was a classic example of "cast to lose", and auf'd ridiculously for, in my opinion, a fine design.

I didn't have a strong opinion about Kate one way or the other until the reunion show, where her behavior was contemptible. It was a little annoying that she turned out to only have a (loud) problem with the mean girl pack when they wouldn't let her join, but her behavior and her clothes weren't that bad. Just forgettable, really.

It's a shame. I think a few talented people really threw away their future opportunities by the way they handled the Helen mess.

Edited by Julia

I don't remember her behavior being at all contemptible at the reunion; rather they put together an inexplicable "Kate is a bitch" reel (possibly because she acted like she was going to be "The Bitch" during casting?) and she refused to pretend that Michelle and Layana aren't a pair of jerks.  She did apologize to Amanda for unfairly naming her as one of the mean girls, though a bunch of people seem to think she was wrong about that, eh?

I believe Kate's bridal business is still going along fine.  I don't know that she threw away anything.  If the fashion world had any problem with mean people and snotty cliques, it would be a very different industry than it is now.

• Love 1

I don't remember her behavior being at all contemptible at the reunion; rather they put together an inexplicable "Kate is a bitch" reel (possibly because she acted like she was going to be "The Bitch" during casting?) and she refused to pretend that Michelle and Layana aren't a pair of jerks.  She did apologize to Amanda for unfairly naming her as one of the mean girls, though a bunch of people seem to think she was wrong about that, eh?

I believe Kate's bridal business is still going along fine.  I don't know that she threw away anything.  If the fashion world had any problem with mean people and snotty cliques, it would be a very different industry than it is now.

Michelle and Layana were significantly worse than jerks. I meant the second reunion where instead of being indignant about snotty mean girls she was one.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 1

I was out after two episodes, because I found the teams format dreadfully boring. I don't know if it got better as the season went on, but at the time I thought it was a huge miss. I've watched every other season, but I couldn't get into this one.

I did, however, tune in for the finale, for the simple reason that I had seen photos of Michelle's collection, and I just had to see it in motion. I thought it was one of the best collections since season 5. There were only two looks I didn't love. I was so excited to see it win that I'm actually thinking I shouldn't go back to watch the season, since I keep hearing that Michelle was far from a lovely person.

This season was, in a word, exhausting.

Daniel's crying was exhausting. Patricia's fabric-making was exhausting. Richard's gay-troll cliches were exhausting. Michelle's smug superiority was exhausting. Layana's whiny voice was exhausting. Stanley's lack of personality was... well, not exhausting. But boring.

In summary, the Top 6 was hard to watch, made even worse by the triptych of Kate, Amanda and Samantha's back-to-back eliminations that had me worried I was cursing them by consecutively naming them my favorites.

The "Team" twist was stupid, but I ended up disliking so many of the designers this season that by the end it was barely a blip on my radar.

Interestingly, this season has a lot of designs that I really love. Amanda's pants in Episode 1 and her Miranda Lambert dress, Kate/Layana's Heidi Klum gown, Kate's Miranda Lambert dress, EVERYBODY's Flower dress, (but particularly Samantha, Layana, Joseph, Tu and Matthew), Michelle's Print Dress, NYC Inspiration, and Marie Claire, Patricia's Print, and Stanley's Print.

Joseph Aaron seemed like a sweetheart too, though he was a classic example of "cast to lose", and auf'd ridiculously for, in my opinion, a fine design.

Yes! He was my nutty new TV boyfriend for two weeks before he was shown the door for what I actually thought was an excellent design. If ever there was a week for a non-elimination, that was it because every single thing put on the runway was excellent. Even Amanda's showed a lot of promise despite falling apart on the runway.

• Love 1

I liked S11, in large part because this group seemed relatively mature compared to other seasons' casts. Michelle, Kate, and Layana were judgmental bitches at times and Daniel and Richard could be quite passive aggressive, but overall I didn't really dislike anyone. It also felt like it was anyone's game, which was nice.

I'm curious to hear of what people thought about Michelle's non-elimination towards the end of the season. On one hand, I can see why they decided to keep a strong designer, but it also struck me as unfair to the designers who followed the rules of the challenge to keep someone who disregarded them. 

Edited by ThatsDarling

I will take a great outfit that failed the challenge over a weak outfit that fit the challenge any day, but I get that MMV.

Michelle had a great track record by that point and IMO Layana and Daniel had really run out of steam.

Besides, to me it was clear that Michelle made a blouse and a pair of pants, which is perfectly fine for a magazine editorial. I wouldn't qualify that as a t-shirt. She did make a pair of pants, but then again so did Stanley and he won the challenge.

I think the way it played out was unnecessary. It would have seemed much less fishy if they had just cut Daniel for that canary monstrosity and let Michelle off with a warning. They turned it into a scandal with the roundabout way they ended up keeping her. I think it was all concocted for drama.

Edited by Oholibamah

I'd be willing to concede she made some skilled clothes and she pulled a decent collection together (although a lot of it looked a lot like stuff she'd shown before). I just think she was so unpleasant and so determined to prove nobody was the boss of her that L&T said hey, fine, we're not, then. At least, that's how I interpreted her interviewing that her prize-winning dress was made from unattractive material in a bad color and her subsequent lack of collection for them.

Say what you will about Patricia, she made it to Fashion Week on her own. Michelle parlayed a televised fashion week show, a ton of free publicity, an opportunity to work with one of the country's most prominent fashion retail chains in her target market, software, equipment, and a wad of money into an Etsy store.

I'm curious to hear of what people thought about Michelle's non-elimination towards the ends of the season. On one hand, I can see why they decided to keep a strong designer, but it also struck me as unfair to the designers who followed the rules of the challenge to keep someone who disregarded them. 

It was at this point I stopped watching the season and tuned into the finale to see Patricia's collection in motion. I knew Michelle was going to win at this point and I couldn't take it because I hated her design aesthetic and her overall sour demeanor. I thought it was ridiculous she was saved after blatantly disregarding the rules of the challenge and was only saved so she could be their winner. I could have accepted her win given she seemed like a good sewer and had a distinct POV, but that episode ruined it for me. 

• Love 2
Say what you will about Patricia, she made it to Fashion Week on her own.

Patricia winning would have left a very good taste in my mouth. She was the only designer in the Top 6 that I enjoyed as a human being and  brought an unprecedented design aesthetic to the show.

But would we be saying Michelle didn't make it to Fashion Week on her own if she'd landed in the Bottom 2 but been safe over Daniel? What if Patricia and Michelle were announced as Bottom 2 but both spared without having Michelle singled out? I guess I just find it hard to believe that they ever intended to eliminate her. To me it was obvious producer manipulation to try and trip up their "frontrunner" and cause some drama.

I also can't imagine anybody complaining that Chris March didn't make it to Fashion Week on his own because he's so likeable. Michelle being a rancid bitch made it difficult for me to like her, but I appreciated her design sensibilities and think she totally earned her place in the finale.

Edited by Oholibamah

Patricia winning would have left a very good taste in my mouth. She was the only designer in the Top 6 that I enjoyed as a human being and  brought an unprecedented design aesthetic to the show.

But would we be saying Michelle didn't make it to Fashion Week on her own if she'd landed in the Bottom 2 but been safe over Daniel? What if Patricia and Michelle were announced as Bottom 2 but both spared without having Michelle singled out? I guess I just find it hard to believe that they ever intended to eliminate her. To me it was obvious producer manipulation to try and trip up their "frontrunner" and cause some drama.

I also can't imagine anybody complaining that Chris March didn't make it to Fashion Week on his own because he's so likeable. Michelle being a rancid bitch made it difficult for me to like her, but I appreciated her design sensibilities and think she totally earned her place in the finale.

Oh, no, I literally mean that Patricia made it on her own. She'd already done a NYC Fashion Week show before she was ever asked onto Project Runway.

Not to mention that she got a huge advantage in the final challenge whether she realized it or not. Everyone jetting off all over the world came back with serious jet lag and being holed up in an aircraft for x amount of hours while she got to stay in New York and relax for a few days. 

• Love 1
Oh, no, I literally mean that Patricia made it on her own. She'd already done a NYC Fashion Week show before she was ever asked onto Project Runway.

Duh! I knew that but hadn't made the connection.

Patricia v. Michelle is one of the few instances of cognitive dissonance where I actively rooted against the person who's collection I liked the best. The only other example of this was Irina v. AnyoneBut!Irina.

It was at this point I stopped watching the season and tuned into the finale to see Patricia's collection in motion. I knew Michelle was going to win at this point and I couldn't take it because I hated her design aesthetic and her overall sour demeanor. I thought it was ridiculous she was saved after blatantly disregarding the rules of the challenge and was only saved so she could be their winner. I could have accepted her win given she seemed like a good sewer and had a distinct POV, but that episode ruined it for me. 

^^Thank you for this.  I totally agree.  I know MV on the point, but I totally agree with you about her violating the very clear parameters of the assignment.  She was sour all the time, everytime she was on my screen it would just bring my Mood down. (whatever pun is there is totally intended)

Michelle parlayed a televised fashion week show, a ton of free publicity, an opportunity to work with one of the country's most prominent fashion retail chains in her target market, software, equipment, and a wad of money into an Etsy store.

This somehow makes me feel better about her win.  

Not to mention that she got a huge advantage in the final challenge whether she realized it or not. Everyone jetting off all over the world came back with serious jet lag and being holed up in an aircraft for x amount of hours while she got to stay in New York and relax for a few days. 

Thats exactly what I said at the time.  Not to mention, IIRC (and I may not) they each got the same amount of US dollars for a collection, so wouldn't that money not go far given the dollar to euro exchange?  And since she got to shop locally, she would have a better idea of the cost of the fabrics she liked, and she got a huge store and already knew what fabrics they had.  Everyone else was going to a fabric shop they had never been to, weren't aware of the layout of, and didn't know even approximately what the costs of the fabric were. And even if they got more, it would be time consuming to figure the measurements/dollars.  And then the jet lag.  And IIRC, all Michelle did was whine and cry over having to stay in New York.

Edited by RealityGal
  • Love 1

I'm curious to hear of what people thought about Michelle's non-elimination towards the end of the season. On one hand, I can see why they decided to keep a strong designer, but it also struck me as unfair to the designers who followed the rules of the challenge to keep someone who disregarded them. 

I didn't mind it, mostly because I felt that Michelle was consistently screwed over by the team format early on in the season, and because she made a great outfit for that challenge. There were definitely other entries that were more deserving of an elimination that week. I'm quite biased though, because I liked Michelle, both for her snarkiness and design aesthetic.

Oholibamah, I agree with how exhausting many of these contestants were on 11.

Daniel's crying made me want to run screaming from the room everytime I saw his talking heads. I kind of liked Richard, although he was very limited, but at first, especially, he seemed to have such a positive attitude towards everyone.

Stanley was boring and very derivative, but I liked him anyway. His final collection was tres disappointing though.

I, unlike so many others, loved Patricia. I loved how she seemed totally clueless to most everyone disliking her, and I thought some of her designs were positively transcendent.

My favourite challenge was flowers/hardware and I feel NO ONE should have been eliminated that week, especially since they were planning on sending home two on the duck tape challenge.

Least favourite contestant for me was Leyana. I know, I know; everyone hates Michelle, but I didn't hate her. She was not my favourite, but I don't think she was any more snarky than many of the other players, and she had talent. She was cocky, but most designers are, I believe. But Leyana was immature, entitled, whiny, in constant need of affirmation and still managed to be OVERconfident at the same time. I just did not like her at all; not from the first episode and even into the reunion.

I didn't get all the praise for Michelle's final collection. There were some pieces I liked, but as far as I'm concerned, she won for the bleeding heart sweater. I said then, and still maintain today, that I would so buy that sweater if she would manufacture and sell it.

But, alas, like almost every designer on PR, except Christian Siriano, she seemed to have little to NO post show career. I always wanted to own something of Jillian's also...

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 1

I, unlike so many others, loved Patricia. I loved how she seemed totally clueless to most everyone disliking her, and I thought some of her designs were positively transcendent.

My favourite challenge was flowers/hardware and I feel NO ONE should have been eliminated that week, especially since they were planning on sending home two on the duck tape challenge.

Least favourite contestant for me was Leyana. I know, I know; everyone hates Michelle, but I didn't hate her. She was not my favourite, but I don't think she was any more snarky than many of the other players, and she had talent. She was cocky, but most designers are, I believe. But Leyana was immature, entitled, whiny, in constant need of affirmation and still managed to be OVERconfident at the same time. I just did not like her at all; not from the first episode and even into the reunion.

I too had an intense dislike for Leyana.  I smiled with all of my teeth when she was booted, I think she may have cried and I was unreasonably happy about it.  If Michelle hadn't had such a sour attitude about getting a second chance/winning, Leyana would have remained my least favorite....but then there was Helen...ugh.  But Leyana is in my top three of hated of that season.  And at least I got to see Leyana get her comeuppance when she got booted, I never got that joy with Michelle.

I didn't like Patricia's designs, but I have an appreciation for her.  Her ability to rise above what had to have been shade/pettiness thrown her way was admirable.

• Love 4

Many designers from PR, including many contestants who did not win, have their designs sold online. I know because I have purchased Mondo, Dimitri and Seth Aaron clothing designs from several online storefronts. I'm putting together my own personal fashion ensemble collection of many of the brilliant and creative fashion designers from seasons of my favorite show

Project Runway.

Edited by NolaBorn

I just finished this season on Hulu Plus.

I liked Michelle and couldn't stomach Patricia.   I felt Patricia survived in some instances only because she's Native American.    She didn't win a single challenge and as I seem to remember she was responsible in at least one instance for another designer going home, because her look was so bad that it dragged the team down in points.  Her constant whining was grating.  That bug-eyed look she kept doing got on my nerves too.

I liked Stanley's clothes a lot, although the fit never seemed just right on the models, especially at Fashion Week.   I can understand why he was eliminated though.

Unfortunately Hulu doesn't have the reunion show available.

I just watched on Hulu, too. Michelle was my favorite. I felt Patricia really outstayed her welcome.  I never liked anything of Stanley's, and I hated Richard's personality.  

I didn't mind Michelle's pity party over Europe trips.  That was a shitty thing to do to anyone-- hand out tickets to European cities and then tell her at the end she doesn't get one.  I agree, I would've rather stayed in NYC and relaxed and bought fabric at Mood, but sadistic all the same.  

I thought her "pants and t-shirt" were cute and no less editorial than Stanley, who won the week.  And look at how Jordana Brewster wore his look in Marie Claire-- no rolled cuffs, no flopped lapel, not his shirt, not his culottes.  It's totally a t-shirt with jeans, and the plainest, simplest leather jacket ever.  Then some 'editorial' looks from someone else added below it.

http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/77287673.html?page=1

I just watched this season and it was really interesting to see how people reacted to Patricia. From Michelle's horrible and unfounded treatment of her to Nina Garcia's ignorant comments to Layana's embarrassment of a person practicing their culture, they were all uncalled for yet typical. This is sadly what many minority experiences are like, having to rise above other's ignorance and hostility, just for being who you are. Gay people have been through it, African-Americans, Latinos (looking at you Layana and Nina!), but it's rare to see it from the Native perspective and so publicly. Michelle trying to paint herself as the victim or the underdog is also part of the Native experience as white privilege is another tremendous barrier Native people must overcome. The hurdles Patricia had to overcome to just be ALIVE, much less a designer were completely unseen through Michelle's very narrow and limited lens! Yet through all of this Patricia never lost herself, even when her humility, compassion, artistry, and unique perspective were looked down upon as something alien, another reflection of the Native experience. Like her collection, her strong roots helped her stand tall and strong like trees. She may not have this competition, but she won just by being there. 

• Love 6