Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

• Start Topic

Tom Smallwood, gets laid off from his factory job and makes the decision to follow his dream of becoming a professional bowler.

Pete Holmes stars in a new comedy inspired by the life of professional bowler Tom Smallwood, who gets laid off from his factory job and makes the extraordinary decision to follow his dream of becoming a professional bowler.
As a skilled player, Tom (Pete Holmes) knows that in bowling you get two chances; no matter what you do with the first ball, you get another one to make it right – the ultimate second chance. Keeping that in mind, Tom begins his new career with the loving okay from his wife, Jen (Katie Lowes); the unfaltering support of Archie (Chi McBride), his mentor and the proud owner of Archie’s Lanes: Home of the Curly Fry; the cautious backing of his protective mom, Helen (Julie White); and the encouragement of his son, Sam (Mason Wells). It remains to be seen if Tom will strike it big on the Pro Bowler circuit, but right now, the pins are set, he’s taking his second shot and it’s 300 or bust!

Original Airdate: Thursday, March 31 (9:30-10:00 PM, ET/PT) on CBS
merlin_203947860_ed044d95-9ef8-4289-bbfe
p21236783_e_h9_aa.jpg

• Love 1

I basically just let the TV roll over from Ghosts.  How we Roll is innocuous enough.  The wife is good and I can see potential with the mom.  Peter Holmes as the bowler?  He doesn't seem to have a personality.  Maybe he'll get better.

• Love 4
(edited)
35 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

This weeks Ghosts was a highly anticipated episode…wonder how this show will do next week when the lead-in shows are repeats?

And its season finale is the 21st. After that I guess it will be all repeats of Ghosts or Young Sheldon at 9. So dumb. If there were only going to be 18 episodes of Ghosts, that should’ve wrapped up before the NCAA tournament when B+ did and B+ should’ve had 22 or 23 episodes like YS and Al have. I liked the episode last night but I can’t see this getting a second season. At least not it, Al, AND B+.

Edited by nelroy78

I thought this was okay; pleasant enough to have on in the background while I come here to see all the comments on Ghosts, LOL. I've always liked Chi McBride, and his mom's character is kind of amusing in a Marie Barone way. Not sure how long it will last, but I think I'll keep watching to see how it gels.

• Love 2
(edited)

Not sure how long this can last but then I say that about alot of shows especially situational comedies.   Either the situation has to change/evolve or it gets kind of old and repetitive.  The husband has to either fail miserably or succeed.   Maybe a little of both.      But I do like the wife.  The actress was one of the consistently fun characters on Scandal so it’s nice to see her find work elsewhere even if on something I wouldn’t usually watch.    CBS comedies are not my thing.    This was pleasant enough.  But not particularly funny.  The mother character is the same as every other rough  bitter mother character on countless other comedies throwing shade at everyone.   I actually found her a turnoff.      The wife I like.   Favorite line was the one where the wife told her husband there was one wife who would tell her husband to forget the paying job to go after his dream.  And he married her.  I thought that was hilarious.   I also like the idea that the husbands dreams has an actual effect beyond monetary on the rest of the family.  It allows the wife to maybe accomplish her dream of owning her own hair salon and it shows their son that he can accomplish his dream of being a tap dancer.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, kirinan said:

I thought this was okay; pleasant enough to have on in the background while I come here to see all the comments on Ghosts, LOL. I've always liked Chi McBride, and his mom's character is kind of amusing in a Marie Barone way. Not sure how long it will last, but I think I'll keep watching to see how it gels.

That's funny - I got a definite Everybody Loves Raymond vibe from this show, which is odd because I really didn't watch Raymond, outside of commercials, I suppose...

The thing that jumped right out at me was the laugh track.  Then I started thinking about other CBS comedies and I really can't remember which have it and which don't.  I went back and sampled the other shows from last night.  Young Sheldon and Ghosts - no laugh track.  US of Al did have one, but oddly it never bugged me.  So I guess the moral of the story is, if I notice the laugh track, it's probably too much.

Other than that, this one's a maybe.  I'll probably watch a few more and see how it goes.

• Love 1
On 4/1/2022 at 4:54 PM, SoMuchTV said:

The thing that jumped right out at me was the laugh track.  Then I started thinking about other CBS comedies and I really can't remember which have it and which don't.  I went back and sampled the other shows from last night.  Young Sheldon and Ghosts - no laugh track.  US of Al did have one, but oddly it never bugged me.  So I guess the moral of the story is, if I notice the laugh track, it's probably too much.

Other than that, this one's a maybe.  I'll probably watch a few more and see how it goes.

B Positive had one too.