Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E13: Coming Home

• Start Topic

On 4/4/2022 at 12:20 AM, Quilt Fairy said:

We definitely need a Jett Reno spinoff. 

I'd like Jett Reno to get her own ship, populated by Jett Reno holograms like Rios had in S1 Picard.

(hey, a girl can dream, can't she?  😃

• LOL 2

Ugh.

So 2 episodes ago they could barely talk to the Ten-C, then in this episode they're explaining all of these fancy concepts?  That they're multiple people, that Book misses his planet, etc?  It's total writing bullshit.  And that's my biggest problem with this show - the writing.  It's TERRIBLE.  It's not just relying on Michael to be the Savior ALL THE TIME.  That's the most obvious of many issues.  It's the fact that we barely know anything about the bridge crew after FOUR SEASONS.  FOUR!!!

"The Measure of a Man".  "The Drumhead".  "Darmok".  These are CLASSIC ST:TNG episodes, because of the amazing WRITING.  Sure, the actors did good as well.  But there hasn't been a single episode of this show that has stuck with me.  I thought "Nepenthe" was a decent episode of ST: Picard, but that's probably more of a nostalgia thing than a writing thing.  Perhaps the best written episode of Disco has been when they wrote off Georgiou, but that pales in comparison to these TNG episodes.

And that's why I'm done with this series.  The writing sucks.  Plenty of people have said that the back half could have been 2 episodes instead of 5.  I think I enjoyed Season 2 of Disco the best, and that's because they did an AMAZING job WRITING for Captain Pike.  Anson Mount also did an incredible job acting ... but I don't care what happens next season with Disco.  Oh wait - Saru and T'Rina.  Just kidding - we watch them HOLD HANDS?  BORING.

Bye.

• Love 4
On 3/19/2022 at 7:10 AM, millennium said:

One last thing -- Stacey Abrams.

Star Trek is supposed to be for everybody.   It's supposed to be about a unified Earth.   The idea of casting a current political figure in the role of "President of United Earth" sends a direct message to half the country that Star Trek isn't for them or about them.   It marks Star Trek as a show with a clear political agenda.  

It made me cringe, actually.

Well, she is a public figure and a fan of the franchise and she has moderated panels that many of the actors were on, so some of them knew her.

Star Trek has always had an agenda. A clear and definite agenda. Rodenberry had an agenda, he had something he wanted to say and he said it in a series of morality plays. A lot of the actors and writers and (so on) have come out in support of this vision at various times.  

• Like 1

Binged the entire series over the last two days.  This show relies on having Michael, Saru, and Stamets get the most development as a big three like Kirk, Spock and McCoy, while the rest of the cast gets more character advancement than Sulu, Chekov, and Uhura (they have first names!), but not as much as in later Trek shows--partly because in a serialized show, there's no room for stand-alone episodes that explore these characters--so how much you like the show depends on how you feel about the focal characters and I like Michael more than most.

I was amused by seeing Vance's family because the closest things to a straight white male character (Oded Fehr is an Israeli actor of Ashkenazic origin) had a decidedly non-white family, but I guess we saw them in the first episode of the series and I missed it.  I love it if that bothers some people.  I believe President Rillik consistently referred to a non-gender-specific partner, so they're probably planning some sort of surprise there.

It's clear Disco has a wokeness agenda, which I support and which is going to turn some people off.  This series isn't for everyone and I'm fine with that.

• Love 2
On 5/14/2022 at 2:03 PM, RobertDeSneero said:

I believe President Rillik consistently referred to a non-gender-specific partner, so they're probably planning some sort of surprise there.

Pretty sure she referred to her partner as "he", but I could've misheard it.

• Like 1
On 6/11/2022 at 11:31 PM, Tachi Rocinante said:
On 5/14/2022 at 2:03 PM, RobertDeSneero said:

I believe President Rillik consistently referred to a non-gender-specific partner, so they're probably planning some sort of surprise there.

Pretty sure she referred to her partner as "he", but I could've misheard it.

Just finished watching, and she definitely referred to her partner as "he" (not just in this episode).

On 5/9/2022 at 1:57 PM, Affogato said:
On 3/19/2022 at 7:10 AM, millennium said:

One last thing -- Stacey Abrams.

Star Trek is supposed to be for everybody.   It's supposed to be about a unified Earth.   The idea of casting a current political figure in the role of "President of United Earth" sends a direct message to half the country that Star Trek isn't for them or about them.   It marks Star Trek as a show with a clear political agenda.  

It made me cringe, actually.

Well, she is a public figure and a fan of the franchise and she has moderated panels that many of the actors were on, so some of them knew her.

Star Trek has always had an agenda. A clear and definite agenda. Rodenberry had an agenda, he had something he wanted to say and he said it in a series of morality plays. A lot of the actors and writers and (so on) have come out in support of this vision at various times.  

I think her appearance as President was meant to be a fun cameo and tribute to her being a big ST fan, and not part of a political agenda except to the extent that her character was another example of the diversity and equality of the ST universe. I'm trying to tread lightly here because of the moderator's warnings, but I'm a bit disturbed by the idea that having Abrams appear in this role sends a message to half the country that ST isn't for or about them. Which half? What is it about her that makes her so unacceptable in even a cameo role to half the country? I'm not being naive (I'm pretty sure I know what the original comment was getting at), but I just think it is very sad if half the country would be turned off to the show for this reason. There are plenty of good reasons to be turned off to this show, primarily the bad writing and too much time spent on feelings, but I don't think SA's cameo is one of them.  

• Like 2

I finished season 4 and it stands to reason that season 5 will release after the Strange New Worlds season 2 on streaming.

I read all the postings here and I have to say...  You guys post with a LOT of wit!

It was fun...

• Like 1

Wrapped up the show last night. Across the four seasons there have been some high highs and lower lows.  I feel like the production design, costume designers and propane gas valves deserve a shoutout.  Next season I hope they make some course corrections by having a better season long arc and utilizing their wealth of acting talent (and avoiding overlong periods of melodrama).  My they be bold and shake the show up with some vigor!