Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E14: Long Shot

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

(edited)
20 minutes ago, BlakesMomma said:

This show has always been a mix of humorous and serious, that's life as a cop and the point of the series. I can guarantee you cops run into characters like Skip Tracer Randy or humorous traffic stop situations, and serious or deadly situations. It runs the gamut in the day to day for a cop.

As for previous characters that are no longer on the show, Jackson was mentioned recently (not by actual name) in a conversation between Lucy and the new rookie. They referred to Lucy, Nolan and Jackson coming through the academy together and that one of them was...."no longer here" I believe Lucy said. Isabelle was alluded to in a fairly recent episode about drugs. Someone told Bradford something like "you should know that considering your history" in a conversation. I know they've referred to dead Mercedes Mason's character once or twice during the series after her death. 

They have 42 minutes for an episode. Characters that are gone don't need to be mentioned often, what's the point 

Never mind

Edited by nittany cougar
4 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

That sixty second clip was definitely described video.  And some viewers got that intermittently?

It was throughout the episode, but not every moment of every scene. I don't think it was a legitimate effort to provide "described video", but something introduced for stylistic effect, like the body-cam episode they had a while back.

What I don't understand is why some of us got it and some of us didn't.

24 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

It was throughout the episode, but not every moment of every scene. I don't think it was a legitimate effort to provide "described video", but something introduced for stylistic effect, like the body-cam episode they had a while back.

I watched the next day on Hulu.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, paigow said:

Fillion was doing the narration- True Described Video would have been almost constant. And more detailed.

That isn't Nathan Fillion unless someone is doing a cartoon impression of him.

16 hours ago, Netfoot said:

Dunno if I've done this right, but here is a 60-second clip ("Fair Use" doctrine) from the show that has several instances of the "Described Video".

If you didn't experience this: Lucky for you!

That is so weird. One time I was watching a movie at home and described video was stuck on - it was so annoying

4 hours ago, Netfoot said:

If you watched it live: Station error? Or hardware error on your end?

If you watched it on streaming: Wrong thing was clicked somewhere?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, bros402 said:

If you watched it live: Station error? Or hardware error on your end?

If you watched it on streaming: Wrong thing was clicked somewhere?

If I told you how I watched it, I'd have to kill you! 😁 But it isn't something I turned on accidentally or could even turn on if I wanted to. 

• LOL 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, Netfoot said:

If I told you how I watched it, I'd have to kill you! 😁 But it isn't something I turned on accidentally or could even turn on if I wanted to. 

The one time I encountered it (on a different show) I had accidentally turned it on - and I have absolutely no idea how I managed to do that. 

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

The one time I encountered it (on a different show) I had accidentally turned it on - and I have absolutely no idea how I managed to do that.

When I get the show, it is in the form of a video file which I play on my computer. I can change between video streams, audio streams and subtitle streams -- but only so long as alternates are provided. If a separate audio track (usually reserved for different languages) had been provided with the ""described video" in it, I might have switched to that track. But in this case, there was one video track, one audio track and no subtitles. So the "described video" narration/voice over was essentially hard-coded into the episode I received.

Like I said, I don't think this was an effort to provide a service for the hard of hearing. I think it was a stylistic choice.

• Useful 1

Totally forgot about this show and was in no hurry to watch it.  Guess I should have waited because it was stinker of an episode.

On 2/28/2022 at 12:27 PM, chaifan said:

I like that the show deals with serious, real life issues (racism, bail inequities, poverty, gangs, etc.), but my criticism is that it usually isn't written well into the show.  The dialog around those issues is often clunky, is shoved into the scene, and comes across as preachy, instead of two characters having a natural conversation.  

Every serious issue this episode was soooooooooooo heavy handed, I thought I was watching an afterschool special.  They've been going in that direction A LOT lately and it really gets on my nerves.

On 3/1/2022 at 3:20 AM, Brian Cronin said:

I get that it was nice to have Nyla get some sort of closure with her ex-husband's girlfriend, but how in the world did anyone think it made any sense for her to conduct that interview? INSANITY.

My thoughts exactly.  Nolan couldn't do the interview?  Noooooo, Nyla had to get closure, apologize, again with a heavy hand, to show that she wasn't a bad person.

• Love 2
On 3/7/2022 at 7:53 AM, Netfoot said:

Like I said, I don't think this was an effort to provide a service for the hard of hearing. I think it was a stylistic choice.

but it wasn't. Somebody screwed up somewhere and a version of the episode with the described audio turned on was broadcast in some parts of the country. And the torrent you downloaded was of this messed up broadcast.

A friend of mine went to a torrent site and saw that there was a "PROPER" torrent of this episode available. In his experience the "PROPER" or "REPACK" tag is used to indicate that the original torrent had a mistake of some kind (like an always on described audio track) and that this new torrent was correct.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
16 hours ago, MrWhyt said:

but it wasn't. Somebody screwed up somewhere and a version of the episode with the described audio turned on was broadcast in some parts of the country. And the torrent you downloaded was of this messed up broadcast.

I'm no expert on DVD, but if this was legitimate DVt was pretty poorly done. The description was poor, and very intermittent. I simply can't accept that this was a legitimate attempt to facilitate persons with a hearing difficulty.

And I have no idea what you mean by "torrent".

Edited by Netfoot
  • LOL 1
41 minutes ago, MrWhyt said:

Described video is for those who have poor vision.

Sorry, yes. Obviously. A slip of the tongue, so to speak. 

But if they were genuinely intending to describe the action for those with poor vision, they didn't talk enough.

But I'm putting it behind me now, and hopefully I'll never have to experience it again.

• Love 1

Having read this thread and the many discussions on DVt (Described Video Transmission) audio that many people encountered and did not understand why... The answer is quite simple.. the highest rated (no.1 seeded)/lowest bit rated (file size) of this episode listed on all the major torrent sites was encoded (ripped/copied) and posted onto the sites with the DVt enabled. i.e. The files audio was encrypted with this facility on(playing over the top). You can think of it like someone putting a file up (with one audio track) that included the directors commentary. It is part of the audio file not a separate feed u can optionally select. I guess what I am saying is the No.1 downloaded torrent of this episode had a single audio track which (at creation) included the DVt overdubbing.

If u were watching through more legitimate sources you almost certainly did not encounter this issue as the Audio Tracks/Subtitles/DVts etc are selectable and available (when encoded) upon demand.

Hope this helps

MkIndyFan

• Love 2