Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E14: The Revolution Will Not Be Televised

jewel21
  • Start Topic

Tensions are high between Zoey and Luca as they rush to design a new line for Anti-Muse after a famous fashion collaborator wants to check it out. Aaron is asked to give a presentation on his Afro Salon but is put in a tough position when CalU asks him to make adjustments. Ana and Nomi explore local law schools and unexpectedly run into a friend.

Airdate: 02/24/2022

Jesus Christ, what happened to Kadeem Hardison? Why do I feel so old now?

That was a sweet nod getting him on the show. Different World to Grown ish but wow. I know he had gained a bunch of weight. Tis life. But, he seems to have put on even more weight and went all Grey.

Also, that is pretty cool that Shiri Appleby direct this episode (Unreal, Life Unexpected, Roswell first version) 

Edited by Racj82
  • Love 3

Seriously, Zooey, you will never succeed if you keep being distracted. She needs an intervention, because she is written to be talented. Worse, she keeps cycling through toxic relationships, Luca (who slut-shamed her, is controlling of women and awful) and Aaron (who can't deal with her craziness but is drawn to it) and she needs to focus on herself. 

Aaron is so self-absorbed. I hate this attitude on the show that the world owes them anyone. Doug is right, you need to make sacrifices to get your way to the top but then the top is where you get to make the rules. And now he's quitting a great job? 

I hope Ana and Nomi go to Stanford Law together and have a wildly successful law firm. They are nuts, but they own it. I would love Vivek and Doug to have this genius start-up, Nomi and Ana to be their in-house lawyers and hijinks ensue. Spin-off, anyone? 

• Love 6
On 2/25/2022 at 10:53 AM, dungeonwriter said:

Doug is right, you need to make sacrifices to get your way to the top but then the top is where you get to make the rules. And now he's quitting a great job? 

That really made no sense. At least finish out the semester and take the experience and transfer the credits to an HBCU or something! But of course this is grown-ish, where everyone makes rash decisions and somehow lands on their feet anyway.

So grown-ish Charlie is just a full-blown dramatic character now with no connection to the Black-ish person. Probably for the best. 

So I guess Aaron, who wants so badly to give his students a voice, is cool with cutting and running when he gets mad at the higher ups and leaving them high and dry? They got so much out of his class, and now its just going to be gone because he's mad that the university wanted a more positive speech? Doug was making a lot of sense, how is he going to raise himself and his people up if he refuses to play the game even a little bit? 

Its sucks that Zoey keeps getting sucked into Luca's condescending shitty selves orbit at the expense of her career. Not that Zoey is exactly miss perfect, she's also selfish and often shitty, but she is talented when it comes to fashion and it sucks to see her putting that on the back burner for some asshole. 

• Love 2

What confused me about Aaron's speech is why he couldn't have found some creative middle ground between his original speech and the sugar coated version that the administration wanted him to do.  Actually, when Kiela went on stage, I thought she was going to talk about the Afro Salon and how it has impacted her student experience (which I'm assuming is positive).  Aaron could have talked about the Afro Salon or how the University has evolved over his time there.  It just seemed like a missed opportunity.

• Love 1
On 3/2/2022 at 2:46 AM, zenithwit said:

What confused me about Aaron's speech is why he couldn't have found some creative middle ground between his original speech and the sugar coated version that the administration wanted him to do.  Actually, when Kiela went on stage, I thought she was going to talk about the Afro Salon and how it has impacted her student experience (which I'm assuming is positive).  Aaron could have talked about the Afro Salon or how the University has evolved over his time there.  It just seemed like a missed opportunity.

Exactly. Principles can be upheld while compromises are made. And if there was something positive on the line, like his class that was having such a positive impact on exactly the people he wanted to help, it was worth finding a way. And yeah, discussing all of the good things about what he'd created would be the perfect topic, it doesn't really credit the university at large, it's his part of the experience.

I thought he should have put his talk on YouTube or some other forum where it would go viral. He could say it was the talk he wanted to give but was banned from giving. 

I mean, that could be risky too, but if it happened to go viral BEFORE the university caught wind of it, they'd have to make some decisions about the PR ramifications of disciplining him.

Jesus Christ, what happened to Kadeem Hardison? Why do I feel so old now?

That was a sweet nod getting him on the show. Different World to Grown ish but wow. I know he had gained a bunch of weight. Tis life. But, he seems to have put on even more weight and went all Grey.

LOL, Dwayne Wayne did get beefy, but I was happy to see him. Seeing him all grey did make me feel ancient though.

Re: Luca and Zoey....zzzzzzz. These two just epitomize the "born on third base" idiom, both apparently from privileged backgrounds and both seeming to fail (Zoey) or float (Luca) upward. I get that they're supposedly wildly talented, but I'm not into fashion so I can't judge how good they are by the little work we see of theirs. But I do think the sheer number of high profile opportunities they've been given seems extraordinarily lucky, particularly since neither one of them seem particularly hard-driving. Zoey seems to expect things to fall into her lap and Luca plays too cool for school all the time.

• Love 2