Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Pie

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

On 2/10/2022 at 7:54 PM, dleighg said:

I thought it was pretty close to the books. As in, if you hadn't read the books, and expected this to be "high art" you'd be disappointed. 

This.  As I mentioned before, the first book is barely truckstop pulp.  I don't know how it was ever published in the mainstream.

Anyhoo, do they honestly think the Venezuelans aren't going to send more men?  Who was the Viking?  Did I miss that reveal?

• Like 1
(edited)

I've read some of the Jack Reacher books, so I was intrigued by this show, but it was all rather meh. Reacher mostly came across as autistic; I've never pictured him this way from the books. The action sequences were pretty cool though.

I'm glad Kristen Kreuk made it out alive. I've always loved her.

Edited by Quark
  • Love 1

Just finished this season. My husband loves it, I don’t like splatter gore. The actor who plays Finlay was excellent, better than the material. Ritchson nails the physical character but is a little leaden. Yes, I’ve read the books. It’s just ok from my POV. 

• Love 1
On 3/20/2022 at 8:40 PM, Tachi Rocinante said:

This.  As I mentioned before, the first book is barely truckstop pulp.  I don't know how it was ever published in the mainstream.

Anyhoo, do they honestly think the Venezuelans aren't going to send more men?  Who was the Viking?  Did I miss that reveal?

At the end of episode 7, Reacher was having a conversation with Neagly Exposition in which she said that Picard's old partner, Nittmo, was a 6'3 blonde, blue eyed guy who was living beyond his FBI agent means and closed the case of the dead EPA agent by classifying it as a burglary gone bad. So he was apparently the Viking and he died several years ago, leaving Picard to hold down the corrupt fort himself. 

The Venezualans don't really have reason to send more men to Margrave as of the end of this episode. They were sending people in the first place because the counterfeiting operation wasn't paying up what was promised. That counterfeiting operation has been destroyed and as far as we know, all the principal players (with the exception of Money-Laundering Guy) are dead. They might be inclined to try to get revenge against Reacher, but he's no longer in town and there's no particular way to track him down that they would be aware of. 

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 2/7/2022 at 2:04 PM, Linderhill said:

my big question is why would his mother call him "Reacher?"  She's his mother, I'd think she would call him by his given name.  The same for the rest of the family.

Why not? My mother nicknamed me by a couple variants of our last name even though those could have hypothetically fit any of my siblings just as well. Sometimes families just do  stuff like that.

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

My mother nicknamed me by a couple variants of our last name even though those could have hypothetically fit any of my siblings just as well. Sometimes families just do  stuff like that.

Our family name is Scottish. My mother called my dad "Mac", as did many of his friends. Even employees, near strangers  and essentially everybody called him "Mr. Mac".

I escaped the nickname as a lad, because when I went to school there was already a "Mac" who had claimed/been called that. 

I love the books (not art, but entertainment!). I enjoyed the series. I don't know this actor from anything else, so I'm hoping that a lot of the early episode issues of him being stiff/blank are that "they" hadn't found the character yet and he may have been told to play it that way. If you go back and watch a lot of pilots you see behaviors for characters that are completely foreign to how you think of them later. 

The actor/character did lighten up as the episodes went by, so hopefully going forward there will be more appreciation of his brain and whatever weird warmth he had that won people over.

• Like 1
On 2/16/2022 at 10:38 AM, Netfoot said:

Would it have hurt so bad to make it 10 episodes and add the right amount of expositionary material to flesh out the character, and make him less one-note?

There were about two episodes that just seemed to just start halfway through the episode and I audibly exclaimed, “How the f*** did we get here?!!”, prime example being the Mexican standoff with Reacher and Findlay held by the baddies.

They could have used the extra time to show how they got caught.

WTF???

Edited by wmdekooning