Type keyword(s) to search

Production News, Spoilers & Speculation: 60th Anniversary / Season 01 & 02 (Disney+/BBC)

DanaK
  • Start Topic

9 hours ago, baldryanr said:

Could be worse, in the modern era the new season has typically started in the fall.

Depends what you describe as the 'modern era'. I generally class 'modern Who' as starting with Eccleston in 2005. That season started at Easter, as did every season after it, for years. There was a brief experiment with an autumn airdate during Moffat's era, and the show only moved to autumn on a more ongoing basis with Chibnall, so very recently indeed. May is more like the traditional scheduling that we had for the first decade of the reboot.

• Like 5
On 12/25/2023 at 8:14 PM, DanaK said:

Trailer for the upcoming new season

So weird that they are calling this season 1, only because Disney+ didn't get the rights to the back catalouge. At least in 2005 there had been a 16 year hiatus. Now it's just extremely arbitrary.

But the trailer looks fun at least.

Edit: Just noticed that there is a scene with Rose at Unit. Does that mean we'll see Donna and 10/14 again this season?

Edited by PurpleTentacle
16 minutes ago, PurpleTentacle said:

So weird that they are calling this season 1, only because Disney+ didn't get the rights to the back catalouge. At least in 2005 there had been a 16 year hiatus. Now it's just extremely arbitrary.

But the trailer looks fun at least.

Edit: Just noticed that there is a scene with Rose at Unit. Does that mean we'll see Donna and 10/14 again this season?

I don’t think it’s a given that we see them. I bet we get a mention, though.

We knew Rose has a recurring role

• Like 1
(edited)

The Mirror’s Nicola Methven is reporting that Millie Gibson is exiting as full time companion Ruby after Season 1 and will only be in a handful of episodes in Season 2. The article says the new full time companion in Season 2 will be Verada Seethu. There’s been no official comment by the BBC, Bad Wolf or Russell Davies, so consider it unconfirmed at the moment

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/doctor-who-companion-millie-gibson-31924485

Edited by DanaK
  • Sad 1
(edited)

Showrunner Davies hinting something Doctor Who-related for tomorrow on his IG a few minutes ago. Interesting that he's including iPlayer and Disney+ but not BBC One on linear (or we shouldn't take it literally and he used shorthand to mean BBC and iplayer)

image.png.f610518e487e6f53a31b9d2389f29a9a.png

Edited by DanaK
  • Like 1

https://www.tvzoneuk.com/post/doctor-who-bbc-confirm-release-date-and-iplayer-premiere-in-uk

New season will premiere May 11 on BBC One with 2 episodes, but will be available on iPlayer in the UK and on Disney+ at midnight UK time. So they finally pulled the trigger on streaming first for the show and U.S Disney+ viewers and UK iPlayer viewers will see it before BBC linear viewers

Per the Doctor Who Twitter account, same time everywhere on streaming

• Like 1
5 hours ago, DanaK said:

The BBC has finally confirmed the rumor that Steven Moffat has returned to write an episode for Ncuti's first season

https://www.tvzoneuk.com/post/drwho-stevenmoffat-season1

Official BBC press release

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2024/doctor-who-steven-moffat-julie-anne-robinson-new-season

I guess it's bearable if it's just one episode. I liked many of his stand-alone episodes, it was his season-long plotlines that I had a problem with, specifically that he always left them kind of unresolved and moved on to a newer, bigger and more convoluted storyline.

• Like 4
(edited)

Official trailer from Disney

Trailer from the BBC in case you can't access the Disney one

Edited by DanaK
add trailer from BBC
  • Love 1
(edited)

The Doctor has come a long way from his "I'll always wear the same type of clothes" phase.  15 seems to enjoy swapping outfits.

Edited by baldryanr
  • Like 3
On 3/20/2024 at 8:32 AM, JustHereForFood said:

I guess it's bearable if it's just one episode. I liked many of his stand-alone episodes, it was his season-long plotlines that I had a problem with, specifically that he always left them kind of unresolved and moved on to a newer, bigger and more convoluted storyline.

I agree! Or it tends to be a bit depressing. I liked Amy and Rory fine but some of their storylines were really quite sad and depressing. RTD does more campy stuff and DW needs some camp if you ask me. He had some tragic things happened to his characters too but at least the journey to get there is more light-hearted. I wouldn't say S5 & S6 were bad but some of it was pretty gloomy.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, waving feather said:

I agree! Or it tends to be a bit depressing. I liked Amy and Rory fine but some of their storylines were really quite sad and depressing. RTD does more campy stuff and DW needs some camp if you ask me. He had some tragic things happened to his characters too but at least the journey to get there is more light-hearted. I wouldn't say S5 & S6 were bad but some of it was pretty gloomy.

RTD loves him some melodrama, but all of his companions left the TARDIS alive. Not a single one of Moffat's companions did. He found clever ways to cheat and undercut those deaths, but nonetheless every one of his companions died, in the end, in some way or other. Some of them more than once.

I much prefer it when a companion's time on the show sees them learn and grow, and then they leave of their own volition, because that's what's right for them at that point in time. Which is where Chibnall scored points! Three out of four of his companions chose to leave the TARDIS, and the one that didn't still walked away alive and well.

Fingers crossed for the new series. Looking forward to it, I hope it is good! Thanks for posting the trailer, @DanaK

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
(edited)
On 3/24/2024 at 2:36 AM, Llywela said:

RTD loves him some melodrama, but all of his companions left the TARDIS alive. Not a single one of Moffat's companions did. He found clever ways to cheat and undercut those deaths, but nonetheless every one of his companions died, in the end, in some way or other. Some of them more than once.

Yes, this is precisely my point. RTD does some cheesy things like unrequited love stories like with Martha but I could still tolerate that. I disliked how all of Moffat's companions met such a sad and tragic end. And no, it doesn't make it better when they are not even human anymore because that's what they were originally. RTD is also better at making the companions flawed but still likeable. Moffat's companions were all tragic heroes. I couldn't fully get into Chibnall's to comment on his companions but glad to hear they were not tragic heroes like Moffat's companions. 

Edited by waving feather
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

We should be getting episode titles by Easter (so maybe Friday) per showrunner Davies in the current issue of Doctor Who Magazine

• Like 1

Episode 2 is The Devil’s Chord”

For those without Twitter, written by Davies and directed by Ben Chessell

• Like 1
(edited)

Episode 8 is “Empire of Death”, written by Davies, directed by Donoughue

New trailer in less than 30 minutes

Edited by DanaK
  • Like 1

Just an FYI with a new season coming up, I conferred with a couple of mods on how to designate episode titles (ie the S01.E01 part) since the new season is starting with Season 1. For the moment, it looks like the best choice to reduce confusion and problems sharing space with existing episode titles is to go with something like "S01.E01 (BBC/Disney+): Ep Title", so for example, S01.E01 (BBC/Disney+): Space Babies. This will especially help if we're all still around when they get to Season 8 given the board starts with Series 8 episodes, and if a future showrunner decides to start with Season 1 or Series 1 again. If anyone has thoughts or suggestions on something else you think might work better, please say so

(edited)

A lot of people over the years have referred to the ABC and Disney conglomerate as ABCD - do you think (BBC/D or D+) might be enough? 🤷‍♀️

Edited by tessaray
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, tessaray said:

A lot of people over the years have referred to the ABC and Disney conglomerate as ABCD - do you think (BBC/D or D+) might be enough? 🤷‍♀️

Hmm, maybe. Just enough to differentiate

• Like 1