Type keyword(s) to search

Percy Jackson And The Olympians - General Discussion

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

A brief message about spoilers:

If it hasn't happened on the show yet, please do not discuss it here. That includes book talk. 

• Start Topic

On 4/11/2022 at 2:32 PM, madhacker said:

Walker as Percy is absoultely perfect casting!!

Now hopefully Disney will do the smart thing and cast Ryan Renolds as Poseidon

🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

I really hope Leah Sava Jeffries has a very strong support team around her to help her to handle the inevitable hate she will receive for being cast in a canonically white role. She’s adorable and I can’t wait to see her in the role. 

I really appreciate the Rick Riordan immediately spoke out that she is exactly how he imagined Annabeth in the books. 

‘Percy Jackson And The Olympians’ Casts Its Clarisse La Rue, Luke Castellan & Nancy Bobofit

Dior Goodjohn plays Clarisse La Rue, a child of Ares and god of war, is a strong-willed and competitive fighter who doesn’t let much stand in the way of her winning. Intensely loyal to her close friends, she’s intimidating to newcomers and a bully to Percy.

dior-Goodjohn-Charlie-Bushnell.jpg

Charlie Bushnell plays Luke Castellan is the counselor of the Hermes cabin and the undisputed coolest kid on the block. Luke looks like he’d be more at home with a surfboard than in Greek armor. That doesn’t stop him from being the best swordsman around!

Olivea Morton plays Nancy Bobofit, who always speaks her mind… at the expense of others. Loud, proud and a teacher’s pet, Nancy gets particular pleasure from picking on Percy.

Olivea-Morton-high-res-headshot.jpg

‘Percy Jackson and the Olympians’ Takes ILM Virtual Production Route (Exclusive)

Percy-Jackson-and-the-Olympians-Set-Visi

(L/R) Executive Producers Dan Shotz, Rick Riordan and Jon Steinberg on the set of the upcoming Disney+ Original series “Percy Jackson and the Olympians.” 

Percy Jackson and the Olympians will be the first project to be made on Industrial Light & Magic’s newly-built StageCraft LED stage in Vancouver, which features a 95-ft. LED screen.

On 12/23/2022 at 10:07 AM, AnimeMania said:

Rick Riordan Addresses Potential of Disney+ Adapting Percy Jackson Sequel Series

Although the actors have finished their part, production won't officially come to a close until next month, even though they are currently on a production break and will resume filming after the holidays. Post-production will take nearly a year.

Hopefully we get to see it in the first half of the year. Really looking forward to it!

Percy Jackson & The Olympians tells the fantastical story of a 12-year-old modern demigod, Percy Jackson, who’s just coming to terms with his newfound supernatural powers when the sky god Zeus accuses him of stealing his master lightning bolt. Now Percy must trek across America to find it and restore order to Olympus.

Percy Jackson and the Olympians      December 20, 2023     Disney+ 

two episode premiere

• Like 2

Walker Scobell as Percy Jackson
Leah Sava Jeffries as Annabeth Chase 
Aryan Simhadri as Grover Underwood.
Adam Copeland as Ares, God of War
Suzanne Cryer as Echidna, The Mother of Monsters
Jessica Parker Kennedy as Medusa, the Gorgon

• Like 2

percy-jackson-and-the-olympians.jpeg
Walker Scobell as Percy Jackson
Leah Sava Jeffries as Annabeth
Aryan Simhadri as Grover

percy-jackson-and-the-olympians-lance-re
Lance Reddick as Zeus

percy-jackson-and-the-olympians-toby-ste
Toby Stephens as Poseidon, Percy’s father 

percy-jackson-and-the-olympians-jay-dupl
Jay Duplass as Hades

percy-jackson-and-the-olympians-adam-cop
Adam Copeland as Ares 

percy-jackson-and-the-olympians-jason-ma
Jason Mantzoukas as Dionysus AKA Mr. D 

percy-jackson-and-the-olympians-glenn-tu
Glynn Turman is Chiron AKA Mr. Brunner 

percy-jackson-and-the-olympians-charlie-
Charlie Bushnell is Luke Castellan

percy-jackson-and-the-olympians-dior-goo
Dior Goodjohn is Clarisse La Rue

percy-jackson-and-the-olympians-lin-manu
Lin Manuel-Miranda as Hermes 

percy-jackson-and-the-olympians-timothy-
Timothy Omundson as Hephaestus

percy-jackson-and-the-olympians-megan-mu
Megan Mullally as Alecto AKA Mrs. Dodds

percy-jackson-and-the-olympians-jessica-
Jessica Parker Kennedy as Medusa

percy-jackson-and-the-olympians-virginia
Virginia Kull as Sally Jackson

percy-jackson-and-the-olympians-tim-shar
Timm Sharp as Gabe Ugliano

percy-jackson-and-the-olympians-suzanne-Suzanne Cryer as Echidna

• Like 2

Percy Jackson and the Olympians      December 20, 2023     Disney+  two episode premiere with the rest of the episodes weekly

Percy Jackson and the Olympians      December 20, 2023     Hulu one and only one episode that will be removed on Jan. 31, 2024

Electrifying World Premiere | Percy Jackson and the Olympians | Disney+
Disney Plus   Dec 15, 2023

Finding Percy Jackson Featurette | Percy Jackson and the Olympians | Disney+
Disney Plus   Dec 15, 2023

That they put the minotaur in underpants wasn't from the books, was it? That was television execs not having the balls to show some balls, correct? Well either way, it was dumb. Either let the balls hang out or give the minotaur some pants or a loin cloth or something.

Zeus is a real asshole in this, isn't he? I mean forbiding Dionysos from drinking alcohol. You might as well forbid a cat to sleep or a dog to wag its tail.

So Percy is really Poseidon's son? No fakeout? I assume so because all the tridents in the titles. Man that's lame. Poseidon is about the lamest god in the whole greek pantheon. You know who would have actually been interesting? Hades. My expectations for this show went to about 0 with that reveal. That choice points to this being the most boring YA fluff ever. Seems like the least edge there has ever been.

• Like 1

Percy Jackson and the Olympians    December 20, 2023  Disney+ 

Episodes 1-2   Titles and Descriptions

Spoiler

S01.E01: I Accidentally Vaporize My Pre-Algebra Teacher

virginia_kull_as_8220_sally_jackson_8221

Strange things keep happening to Percy Jackson, a kid who feels out of place in the world. When Percy is accused of attacking a classmate on a field trip to the MET, he’s expelled from school and forced to return home. His mother, Sally, upends his reality when she reveals the truth of Percy’s origins… that he’s a demi-god and must go on the run from the monsters that are hunting him.

164264_8990_v1_8e54366d-2048x1638.jpeg

S01.E02: I Become Supreme Lord of the Bathroom

164777_0480_db79ab25-2048x1365.jpeg

Percy grapples with his mother’s sacrifice and tries to fit in as he navigates friends and bullies at Camp Half-Blood, a safe haven for demi-gods like him. He tries honing skills to discover his place, and a game of Capture the Flag sets into motion an unveiling of Percy’s parentage, revealing a dangerous legacy he can’t ignore.

164036_3023r_1_fc880617-2048x1638.jpeg

8 hours ago, PurpleTentacle said:

That they put the minotaur in underpants wasn't from the books, was it? That was television execs not having the balls to show some balls, correct? Well either way, it was dumb. Either let the balls hang out or give the minotaur some pants or a loin cloth or something.

Zeus is a real asshole in this, isn't he? I mean forbiding Dionysos from drinking alcohol. You might as well forbid a cat to sleep or a dog to wag its tail.

So Percy is really Poseidon's son? No fakeout? I assume so because all the tridents in the titles. Man that's lame. Poseidon is about the lamest god in the whole greek pantheon. You know who would have actually been interesting? Hades. My expectations for this show went to about 0 with that reveal. That choice points to this being the most boring YA fluff ever. Seems like the least edge there has ever been.

You haven’t read the books, have you? They are pretty good. Honestly I don’t remember if the minotaur wore tighty whiteys, but it is in line with the story, modern and archaic elements combined. 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, PurpleTentacle said:

That was television execs not having the balls to show some balls, correct?

Spoiler

No. That was them being accurate to the books. In mythology the minotaurs are usually depicted wearing a loincloth and Riordan put them in underwear as a humorous modern take.

4 hours ago, Affogato said:

You haven’t read the books, have you? They are pretty good. Honestly I don’t remember if the minotaur wore tighty whiteys, but it is in line with the story, modern and archaic elements combined. 

Nope and at this point I really don't care to. If this is even semi accurate. I'll give it a few more episodes, but I'm not investing energy.

2 hours ago, Dani said:
Spoiler

No. That was them being accurate to the books. In mythology the minotaurs are usually depicted wearing a loincloth and Riordan put them in underwear as a humorous modern take.

A loin cloth is not underwear. The modern aquivalent would be shorts.

17 minutes ago, PurpleTentacle said:

A loin cloth is not underwear. The modern aquivalent would be shorts.

It’s a gag designed for a target audience of preteens. 

On 12/23/2023 at 9:11 PM, Bookworm 1979 said:

Well, if you study up on your Greek mythology you'll find that all the gods are assholes in their own way.  

Having watched the first two episodes, it’s not just the gods who are assholes. It seems all the adults fit the moniker. It’s been eons since I read the books, so I remember that Percy’s mom kept his heritage from him, but why did Chiron and Mr. D also go the “be vague, don’t tell Percy anything” route?! Knowledge is power. Deliberately keeping Percy ignorant is setting him up to fail.

A non-adult who is in asshole territory (again, based on the first two episodes) is Annabeth. So she wants Percy’s help to win Capture the Flag but doesn’t bother telling him what to do/his role?!?! WTF? And then while he’s getting ganged up on by Clarissa and her fellow goons, Annabeth stays invisible, just watching. To compound it, instead of answering Percy’s question why she didn’t help him, she shoves Percy into the river?!  
Why did a teen series take the route of making a number of characters soooo damn unlikeable? Ease into the assholery Disney (so unlike “family friendly” Disney). 
The only thing that works for me so far is the casting of Percy. Love that actor, well cast!  

2 hours ago, norcalgal said:

A non-adult who is in asshole territory (again, based on the first two episodes) is Annabeth. So she wants Percy’s help to win Capture the Flag but doesn’t bother telling him what to do/his role?!?! WTF? 

She didn’t want Percy to help her win Capture the Flag. She didn’t need him to win. She wanted to put him a situation where he would manifest his powers in a public way so that Poseidon would claim him. She was using him. She’s supposed to be an asshole right now. Given the backstory told by Luke and the environment of Camp Half-Blood it’s not surprising she is solely out for herself. 

2 hours ago, norcalgal said:

Why did a teen series take the route of making a number of characters soooo damn unlikeable?

My guess is because many teens and preteens are often so damn unlikable. Percy is the audience surrogate so he has to deal with bullies, betrayal and insecurity. 

I gave the first 2 episodes a try, and I don't think I will be continuing since I found all the acting to be utterly atrocious. Which surprised me, since I thought the lead looked like the kid from The Adam Project, who I thought was excellent in that. I found out he was and wondered why his acting has devolved so badly. Must be the director I guess. None of these kids can act. At all. The adults weren't much better. So again, is this on the director? 

Besides the subpar performance of the folks attached to this project, the dark scenes were too dark visually, and the editing was god awful as well. The quick cuts to black in what seemed like a scene that should be ongoing were really jarring. It almost seemed like they were cutting this with commercials in mind.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

It almost seemed like they were cutting this with commercials in mind.

They probably did because most streaming services including Disney+ now offer subscriptions where you pay less but your shows will be interrupted by commercials. So they need places in their shows where they can insert the commercials.

• Like 1

S01.E03: We Visit the Garden Gnome Emporium

j4E0yzV8ZmUCZ5bM8mPkwm9qQrK.jpg

Percy is tasked with the quest to return Zeus' stolen Master Bolt, to stop a war between the gods. Choosing Annabeth and Grover as his quest mates, they set off to retrieve it from the Underworld. Enemies derail their journey before it's barely begun, and the three seek refuge from a stranger that could pose even more of a dangerous threat...

Premiere Date: December 27, 2023         Disney+ 

Percy Jackson Premiere Draws 13.3 Million Views, a Streaming Record for Disney Branded Television
BY MATT WEBB MITOVICH   DECEMBER 26, 2023 
https://tvline.com/ratings/percy-jackson-and-olympians-premiere-disney-plus-hulu-streaming-record-1235103707/ 

The highly anticipated arrival of the Percy Jackson and the Olympians TV series emerged as the No. 1 Disney Branded Television premiere of all time — and one of the Top 5 season premieres of 2023 — with its first episode delivering 13.3 million views globally across both Disney+ and Hulu in its first six days. (A “view” here is rightly defined as “total stream time divided by run time.”)

I just started to watch this cuz I've seen so many clips of the young actors on the promo trail and they are just so damned charming.

I am enjoying it.  I haven't read the books, I was not the target audience when they came out and my kids didn't really gravitate toward them either.

The dynamic between Percy, Annabeth and Grover in the third episode was fun.  Also Percy asking all the right questions at the right time... Zeus' only recourse to save his daughter was to turn her into a tree?  The pine cone quip was pretty savage.  I loved it.  Also him wondering why Chrion wouldn't spring for a plane.

Can I just say Jessica Parker Kennedy even in her smallish role was fantastic as Medusa.  I loved this iteration of her.  In her cozy house with her stone  lawn furniture.   And yeah Athena did her dirty!!  I liked that they kept that version, even though sanitized, in this.  And she had a right to be bitter especially with those two particular kids in her house.

Did not recognize Megan Mullalley at all!

On 12/25/2023 at 11:38 PM, norcalgal said:

A non-adult who is in asshole territory (again, based on the first two episodes) is Annabeth. So she wants Percy’s help to win Capture the Flag but doesn’t bother telling him what to do/his role?!?! WTF? And then while he’s getting ganged up on by Clarissa and her fellow goons, Annabeth stays invisible, just watching. To compound it, instead of answering Percy’s question why she didn’t help him, she shoves Percy into the river?!  

I don't think Annabeth was an asshole to Percy.  She never did anything to him.  Unlike Clarisse and all the other kids who actively bullied him. I thought it was clear the minute she saw what happened in the bathroom, that she knew who his father was.  Luke said that Annabeth thinks ten moves ahead of everyone and the capture the flag game was proof of it.  If you think about it, the whole set up of capture the flag was her doing Percy a solid.  He outright said he had to do something heroic and flashy to get his father's attention so she engineered everything to make it happen.  Meanwhile everyone else was basically all shrugs and 'oh well.'  She was the only one who actively helped him out.

I may be overthinking it, but Luke is kinda suss to me.  He was so accepting and nice immediately.  Given that environment and Percy being this newcomer who came in killing the Minotaur, I actually found Clarisse's feeling of threat and the other kids being a bit stand-offish more understandable.  There was a moment in the second episode where Percy was "writing" to his mom about liking Camp Half-Blood really making friends and there was a shot of Luke, that felt... off.  My spidey senses tingled there. 

NGL, those sneakers are cool.

• Like 3
18 hours ago, DearEvette said:

I don't think Annabeth was an asshole to Percy.  She never did anything to him.  Unlike Clarisse and all the other kids who actively bullied him. I thought it was clear the minute she saw what happened in the bathroom, that she knew who his father was.  Luke said that Annabeth thinks ten moves ahead of everyone and the capture the flag game was proof of it.  If you think about it, the whole set up of capture the flag was her doing Percy a solid.  He outright said he had to do something heroic and flashy to get his father's attention so she engineered everything to make it happen.  Meanwhile everyone else was basically all shrugs and 'oh well.'  She was the only one who actively helped him out.

I’d have to go back and rewatch the whole Capture the Flag sequence but I don’t recall Annabeth doing anything to help Percy. She invisibly watched while Clarissa and her fellow Ares kids ganged/beat up on Percy. Further, it wasn’t Percy who actually got the other team’s flag, so no glory there for Percy. Is the “heroism” Percy getting shoved into the river, having the water heal his wounds? Asking a real question here about where Percy showed heroism in the whole CTF sequence.

As for the third episode, do the writers even pay attention to what they wrote in the very same episode?!  When they were on the bus arguing about who should be in charge, did the writers forget two key things:

it was Percy to whom the Oracle gave the Quest; and 

it was Percy who was given the task of picking two others to accompany him 

Thus, from my perspective, it should be Percy in charge of the Quest, making the decisions. If Percy had not chosen Annabeth, she wouldn’t have been on the Quest in the first place!  Annabeth should have graciously acknowledged both above points, but stressed that because Percy was a Forbidden Child, it made more sense for her to get off the bus. So although Annabeth’s point was valid, the “who’s in charge” argument was nonsensical to me. 
p.s.  color me extremely disappointed that after stressing Medusa might not really be a monster, and giving her a plausible tragic background, they did in fact make her a monster at the end, to the point where killing her was justified (either you die, or I die situation).  What a damn waste of an opportunity. Medusa could have been a grey, nuanced character but well, I guess a kids’ show felt everyone/thing must be black or white, because anything too complex would confuse the kiddie audience.  (And yes, I realize Medusa is killed in the book series, but veering away from the book here wouldn’t have completely changed anything about the rest of the series, I think.)

1 hour ago, norcalgal said:

I’d have to go back and rewatch the whole Capture the Flag sequence but I don’t recall Annabeth doing anything to help Percy. She invisibly watched while Clarissa and her fellow Ares kids ganged/beat up on Percy. Further, it wasn’t Percy who actually got the other team’s flag, so no glory there for Percy. Is the “heroism” Percy getting shoved into the river, having the water heal his wounds? Asking a real question here about where Percy showed heroism in the whole CTF sequence.

As for the third episode, do the writers even pay attention to what they wrote in the very same episode?!  When they were on the bus arguing about who should be in charge, did the writers forget two key things:

it was Percy to whom the Oracle gave the Quest; and 

it was Percy who was given the task of picking two others to accompany him 

Thus, from my perspective, it should be Percy in charge of the Quest, making the decisions. If Percy had not chosen Annabeth, she wouldn’t have been on the Quest in the first place!  Annabeth should have graciously acknowledged both above points, but stressed that because Percy was a Forbidden Child, it made more sense for her to get off the bus. So although Annabeth’s point was valid, the “who’s in charge” argument was nonsensical to me. 
p.s

Annabeth’s argument was that she was more experienced and Percy was completely out of his depth. They were valid points. He will need to prove himself before he can make life and death decisions for others. He was not in charge even if it was his quest. No one was following him. 

a hero is brave. 

• Like 1