Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: Break Stuff

• Start Topic

The game reaches a fever pitch as the All-Stars scramble to survive the last challenge before the Final. A moment of rage puts a power player's season in jeopardy. An injury could cost one pair their shot at redemption.

Airing now on Paramount+.

Bye bye, Brad and Jodi. Brad was super irrelevant this season and added nothing. I was looking forward to seeing Jodi in a final, but oh well.

I wonder why the women (with the exception of Jodi) were much better at that challenge than the men. Small hands? Jodi did mention that she had big, manly hands. 

Darrel and Brad got to live my dream of smashing a room full of shit. I don't recall seeing this challenge since Bloodlines. 

The thought of Ayanna and Teck running a final makes me laaaaauuughhh.  I'm looking forward to watching Ayanna lose. 

It should be a good matchup between the other teams, unless Janelle's back decides to give out. I'm worried for her.  

Jonna has really changed so much, and good for her. I love to see that she's a confident and kind woman! I'm rooting for her, even though I don't like MJ. 

• Love 2

Super happy that Darrell and Janelle won their elimination!

I really wanted to see Jodi in the final but I can appreciate the common sense game move of sending Darrell and Janelle into elimination over MJ and Jonna. I also thought that all of the other women left in the game were probably happy because Janelle and Jodi are two powerhouse women and were also the last two women standing who have won the game before.

16 hours ago, Zima said:

Bye bye, Brad and Jodi. Brad was super irrelevant this season and added nothing. I was looking forward to seeing Jodi in a final, but oh well.

I was looking forward to seeing Jodi in the final as well. I'm sure she would have crushed it.

16 hours ago, Zima said:

I wonder why the women (with the exception of Jodi) were much better at that challenge than the men. Small hands? Jodi did mention that she had big, manly hands. 

I didn't understand what was so challenging about it and why Brad broke the boxes. Was untying the knots that challenging?

16 hours ago, Zima said:

The thought of Ayanna and Teck running a final makes me laaaaauuughhh.  I'm looking forward to watching Ayanna lose. 

Once everyone got into pairs, I would have bet my house that only 1 team of the "palace alliance" would have made it to the final. I was that sure. Somebody somewhere in the world made a pig fly and Nehemiah and Melinda were the only ones to complete the challenge, win and save another team in their alliance.

16 hours ago, Zima said:

It should be a good matchup between the other teams, unless Janelle's back decides to give out. I'm worried for her.  

So am I. I didn't watch the older seasons of the Challenge when they aired (anything before season 23). I had to go back and watch but it's not the same as watching a season when it airs. This season is my first experience watching Janelle on a Challenge (as it's airing). I'm loving her. She oozes common sense and home training, which this show and the flagship tends to lack. She gives the show a good balance of normality out this bucket of ridiculousness.

16 hours ago, Zima said:

Jonna has really changed so much, and good for her. I love to see that she's a confident and kind woman! I'm rooting for her, even though I don't like MJ.

LOL! I have zero thoughts or opinions on MJ and I completely agree with you on Jonna. I feel that Jonna is making the most out of her second chance at The Challenge. She's playing the game now more than she ever has before and it's amazing to watch. I'm rooting for her and Janelle.

Also, are we thinking that the final is also going to be in pairs?

Edited by AntFTW
  • Love 1

At this point, I just want this edition to end. I mean, I'm still getting up early to watch, but I'm not feeling the joy. It's a combination of things . . . the surprise pairings, inconsistent standards, Sophia going out early and Ayanna more or less being loved in general, etc.

Here's an ideal going forward: safer missions. Sure BMP could raise standards in how healthy a player would have to be going in, but I'm thinking that injuries are on the rise because the missions HAVE to be awesome. I'm not knocking the safety features . . . I'm just thinking that some people can't handle jumping from one semi to another, even if they're safely tethered.

Yeah, "The Palace" is annoying as hell, but I know it could be so much worse. It's at a point where if you openly tell them to STFU (or maybe, like MJ, in a confessional), you look like an asshole.

Arena was awesome . . . adapting the "wreck the fuck out of a room" game for two players. I'm not a fan of timed games, but this one worked. Also, you get to wonder if Jodi screwed herself and Brad by not making sure the debris dropped into the container. Of course, when it came to screwing up, it's hard to top Brad hulking out and ripping the lids off. And then TJ lipped off at him. Cut to me watching, wondering if Teege forgot that Brad could do the same thing with his head.

Anyone else imagine Abram's nose bleeding from just watching that? It cannoy be just me.

Next week . . . I'm not loving Janelle. She looks like she's on the same diet as Arissa . . . but her partner is Darrell, and Darrell isn't a humongous asshole. Jonna winning would give her the first title since way back in the days of Endurance, but MJ . . . yeah, not a fan. When I was talked about how Cohutta was dismissed because he was the only guy in that situation that wouldn't go ballistic, I was thinking of MJ. Nehemiah & Melinda? Eh. On some level, it feels like angels are looking out for her. Honestly, I think Tina could've beaten her in the Arena if she hadn't given up. Ayanna & Teck offend me on a weird level. Ayanna greased the skids for Sophia,, Teck beat Steve in the Arena, and those two are the only ones from the cast I ever contacted/met. And then I get mad at Steve for getting himself into the Arena and then losing to Teck, in a game where Teck should have been shattered into a million pieces.

*sigh*

I will admit that the idea of players winning after they debuted in 1999 is amusing. Remember, Ayanna was on RR: Semester at Sea with Yes.

On 1/6/2022 at 11:21 PM, Zima said:

8 hours ago, AntFTW said:

I didn't understand what was so challenging about it and why Brad broke the boxes. Was untying the knots that challenging?

There's been not-quite-serious speculation that things were rigged . . . that the knots were tougher for Brad. It's a thing where I know that's not the case, but I can see BMP pulling that off because they're a shady production company.

On 1/6/2022 at 11:21 PM, Zima said:

He did take out Derrick in their second elimination against each other. That was so long ago. I recapped that episode back in 2006. Also, it was always fun to look at Brad with that beard, wondering how much of his mind was intact. My guess: "not much."

Enjoyed both the Daily and the elimination.

But something is up with those ropes and locks.  That part of it could have been designed better to be more consistent from player to player.

On the elimination, they need to weigh those boxes on camera, with big digits showing the exact numbers.  TJ said they were a kilo apart but the total weights he announced were in pounds.  Why change from metric to imperial like that?

Assuming the weights were correct, I guess Brad's strategy didn't work.  Janelle didn't have to use the hammer at all while Jodi did, going from one side of her box, carrying the pieces and then doing her own hammering before throwing the pieces through the last hole.

Janelle sat near the outer hole and just reached to pick up pieces that were already small enough to push out.  I don't know if Darrell deliberately smashed up the pieces but that was the end result.

Janelle kept her back condition a secret but Darrell and Brad knew.  If everyone else knew, the votes might have changed.  They might have voted in MJ and Jonna if they knew.

Darrell doesn't know how many more Challenges he could do.  So he wanted Janelle not to quit.  That was fine for the elimination but the clips show them carrying things on their backs, through uneven terrain.  I'm thinking people with bad backs may have problems running even on level terrain for long periods.

Janelle has a good-paying job so she's not going to risk her health for the Challenge.

7 hours ago, aghst said:

On the elimination, they need to weigh those boxes on camera, with big digits showing the exact numbers.  TJ said they were a kilo apart but the total weights he announced were in pounds.  Why change from metric to imperial like that?

Trying to reach a more global audience… and they have a cast of Americans who have no clue that 1 kilo is about two pounds. Admittedly, I had no clue either so I’m glad TJ broke that down.

7 hours ago, aghst said:

Janelle kept her back condition a secret but Darrell and Brad knew.  If everyone else knew, the votes might have changed.  They might have voted in MJ and Jonna if they knew.

I don’t think so. I genuinely believe that Nehemiah, Melinda, Teck and Ayanna would think that Darrell and Janelle would be the tougher team to beat over MJ and Jonna, even knowing about Janelle’s back condition. For having a back condition, Janelle’s performance hasn’t been lacking at all.

Edited by AntFTW

I actually don't mind MJ. If they stay in pairs, I'm rooting for him/Jonna.

Sad to see Jodi go out, I was really hoping Teck/Ayanna would be toast before the final. I can't imagine Ayanna doing well endurance-wise and Teck looks he could be blown over in a strong wind.

Never been a big Janelle fan...and I'm sorry, having some issues believing this back injury situation. Her movement doesn't belie someone who's in significant pain or even the typical stiffness that's usually associated with back issues. She was a bit cagey about it, like it was something she was going to pull out as an excuse if the elimination had been a physical one. Anyhoo, I was rooting for Brad/Jodi.  Darrell is still invited to main challenge, so I don't want to see him on allstars. 

Edited by snarts
  • Love 1
On 1/8/2022 at 6:25 AM, snarts said:

I actually don't mind MJ. If they stay in pairs, I'm rooting for him/Jonna.

This is the first season I've been able to tolerate MJ (He cracked me up when he was annoyed with himself for singing  Safety Palace-  a tune which now might be forever in my head). I'd be fine with an MJ/Jonna win too, although I will always root for Darrell.  I don't love Nehemiah/Melinda, but they've worked hard so good on them if they win.  If Ayanna/Tech win, I will laugh so hard I may have to be hospitalized. 

ETA-  Apparently it's Save The Palace  (not Safety Palace- although if we Google "Safety  Palace" this shows up):

Edited by Fretful
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 1/10/2022 at 3:48 AM, Fretful said:

This is the first season I've been able to tolerate MJ (He cracked me up when he was annoyed with himself for singing  Safety Palace-  a tune which now might be forever in my head). I'd be fine with an MJ/Jonna win too, although I will always root for Darrell.  I don't love Nehemiah/Melinda, but they've worked hard so good on them if they win.  If Ayanna/Tech win, I will laugh so hard I may have to be hospitalized. 

ETA-  Apparently it's Save The Palace  (not Safety Palace- although if we Google "Safety  Palace" this shows up):

It is a genuine ear worm, I'll give them that. And they seemed to be having a blast recording it, except LT, who I believe was born without a fun gene. Dude has his intensity set to 11 at all times. I cracked up when the camera hit him and he tried to crack a smile and a dance move just for show. And the reading from the phone watered down his speaking part a bit, lol.

After seeing the final, I feel extra bad for Brad and Jodi missing out by one day, they would've rocked that final. Except perhaps for the ending, I'm not sure math is either one of their strong suits.