Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E12: Gossip Gone, Girl

• Start Topic

How is Obie telling Julian he loves her one episode and then the next episode he's dating someone else and telling Julian to leave him alone?  Is this supposed to make sense?  Have I ever seen a television character with less consistency, conviction, and backbone?

Zoya is always running off to places without packing a purse a bag ANYTHING just the clothes on her back!  I wonder if Zoya is in love with this new girl in her life, or will be.

Anna Van Patten looks soooooooo much like another actor, but who?  Shailene Woodley, right?  Ohhhhhhh my god.  It's because I just saw her sister GRACE Van Patten on Nine Perfect Strangers.

It's great that Zoya's father took the deal, but there was no way the show would go in another direction.

I'm so tired of Tavi's E.T. face.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

The way I howled at this!

The last 2 eps were so bad. Not the fun bad most of the others have been, just bad and boring and nonsensical. That being said, I will be back for season 2 lol.

Is this season over?!!?!

• Love 1
On 12/3/2021 at 3:45 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

How is Obie telling Julian he loves her one episode and then the next episode he's dating someone else and telling Julian to leave him alone?  Is this supposed to make sense?  Have I ever seen a television character with less consistency, conviction, and backbone?

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who got whiplash at Obie's back and forth.  The whole plot was just weird.  Because Julian couldn't tell him she loved him when she had all kinds of hell raining down on her, Obie got pissy and took his "love" and went home?  Ugh - just when I was almost starting to like him again.

The writers irritate me - it's like they just wanted an episode with everyone yelling at Julian, so they made everyone fuss her out for THEIR choices to shield her from her dad's drama a few eps back and then Obie himself breaks her heart AGAIN because she needed some time and couldn't say she loved him back when he sprung it on her.  Obie is SO selfish.  

And this episode made no sense.  I'm glad Julien decided she was wrong for the plot with Grace - but I don't get wtf that was at the end.  Julien's gonna go scorched earth sending tips to GG but GG won't know which ones are true? Like wtf? Then after GG goes off like a dirty bomb, destroying everyone, Julien will destroy GG?

I don't get it.

Though I am looking forward to seeing Julien vs Monet next season.  That's a rivalry on par with Serena vs Blair.  It's just too bad they aren't really friends.

With Max, Audrey and Aki, I feel kinda warmed but also extremely bored.  Their happy little threesome triangle relationship feels like an after school special and I can't figure out why.  

LOVE Monet's mom - OMG I stan the hell out of her.  I hope she gets oodles of screentime next year.  

If Julien emerges from this with some purpose, direction, and ruthlessness, then I'm all for it.  I'm tired of her letting everyone else run her life - her instincts are better when she's left to her own devices instead of listening to the two devils on her shoulder (monet and luna).

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, phoenics said:

And this episode made no sense.  I'm glad Julien decided she was wrong for the plot with Grace - but I don't get wtf that was at the end.  Julien's gonna go scorched earth sending tips to GG but GG won't know which ones are true? Like wtf? Then after GG goes off like a dirty bomb, destroying everyone, Julien will destroy GG?

I don't get it.

Okay good.  Thanks for this.  I didn't really get it either.

22 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Who was Monet's mom? Was she the one that was an absolute bitch to Kate (who I now call ET, thanks a lot @Ms Blue Jay!)?

Correct.

Monet is the daughter of pharmaceutical moguls, Camille and Greyson de Haan. Her family descends from old New York money, making her one of the richest students at Constance Billard St. Jude's School, as her parents donated a wing at the school[3]. Despite her mother's job in a biotech, Monet stated that she has no desire to do the same.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, phoenics said:

I don't get it.

Though I am looking forward to seeing Julien vs Monet next season.  That's a rivalry on par with Serena vs Blair.  It's just too bad they aren't really friends.

With Max, Audrey and Aki, I feel kinda warmed but also extremely bored.  Their happy little threesome triangle relationship feels like an after school special and I can't figure out why.  

LOVE Monet's mom - OMG I stan the hell out of her.  I hope she gets oodles of screentime next year.  

Yes to all of this. I had the same thoughts. It makes no sense that Julien will play 2 truths and a lie with Gossip Girl, but then scheme to bring it down. What? Also, in one of the earlier episodes, the teachers mentioned that GG isn't just at Constance/St. Jude anymore. It spread to the other private schools as well, so, how is Julien really going to take down the blog? 

Savannah Lee Smith looks so much like Kat Graham. It's my dream casting that Kat Graham makes a cameo next season as Monet's sister. If she has one. The resemblance is uncanny. 

I was bored by the Max, Audrey, Aki storyline as well. I got why he didn't want to fuck with them anymore since he felt used, but the whole convincing him to be a part of their relationship went on too long. 

Oh, yes, as awful as Camille De Haan was, the actress was fantastic! I find the parents to be more interesting than the kids, so I hope that we learn more about them next season. Given Davis' rape scandal, I don't know how the show is going to fold him back into the story next season. We still don't know what happened between him, Nick, and Julien/Zoya's mother. 

Going back to Camille for a second. As ridiculous as the request was, the instructions were to walk. Kate, if you're going to cheat and take a cab, hide.the.evidence. Don't charge the client for the cab when they specifically told you to walk. 

I cheered when Nick told Kate to leave him the fuck alone. Zoya was silly and lost her scholarship and she blew up their living arrangement. It's not as if he's an attorney to the stars who makes enough to keep his daughter in a chi-chi private school AND afford UWS rent on his own. He needed that money. It isn't ideal, but it's not as if Kate is going to step up and offer financial support, and if Zoya gives him shit for it, she can fuck off, too. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Sheenieb said:

We still don't know what happened between him, Nick, and Julien/Zoya's mother. 

I thought we did find out. When their mom was in the hospital delivering Zoya/dying, Davis wouldn't let Nick in so Nick missed the birth of his daughter and didn't get to say goodbye to the woman he loved. We also learned that Davis' mom wouldn't let Nick come to the funeral, I think. And as I was typing this I realized you meant what happened before all that so lol.

• Useful 1
On 12/6/2021 at 5:53 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Here's something cool.  Amanda Warren aka Camille de Haan aka Monet's Mom had a bit part on OG Gossip Girl:

Gossip Girl
Ostroff Therapist
Episode: "The Townie"

OMG that was HER?!?!  Wow - that is an awesome actress and I'm SO glad she's on the reboot.

Also - she literally hasn't aged at all.  Damn.

• Love 1

So glad that one of the Monet/Luna duo finally realize that Julien isn't the of Harry Potter "chosen one" of Instagram.  It will be fun watching someone more ruthless like Monet try to become the queen bee.

It was hilarious how the show was trying to portray Hudson as some sort of hick town that Aki's dad owns.  The real Hudson, NY is full of antique shops and restaurants targeting weekend visitors from the city.

On 12/6/2021 at 9:14 AM, Sheenieb said:

I was bored by the Max, Audrey, Aki storyline as well. I got why he didn't want to fuck with them anymore since he felt used, but the whole convincing him to be a part of their relationship went on too long. 

Yeah, the show took too long getting the throuple together.  But now that they are together, I think their storyline will be more interesting.  Aki and Aubrey don't really seem to work together (even the show agrees) and Max seems to bring the excitement that they are missing. So there is a lot of area that the show can explore.  

At season's end, I still think the show's biggest mistake has been with Gossip Girl itself, that it's trying to turn it into some kind of greater statement or grand experiment or agent of change when it should simply be a neutral, anonymous agent of chaos in the ecosystem of these kids.  So Kate and Julien's deal/motivations to revive it at the end made no sense to me because nothing about it makes sense to me.  It  was also strange to me that the big bombshell blasts from the previous episode's cliffhanger were basically dismissed two minutes into the episode; they could have wrung a lot of drama out of that.

I did enjoy Monet being like, hold up, instead of running game for this chick who doesn't seem to want to be HBIC, why don't I just be HBIC instead.  Monet/Savannah Smith brings excellent mean girl energy and seeing it deployed with more purpose and towards her own goals next season sounds interesting.  And given I'm guessing Kate's condition is that Julien has to help her take down Monet's mom, maybe we'll actually see Julien be this legendary bitch we keep hearing she is slash was.

In other news, seriously though, Obie is the fuckin' worst.  Wasn't he, two weeks ago in show time, super in love with Julien and bummed she couldn't return his feelings in the midst of her personal crisis?  But now he's already dating some other chick while blathering on about finding himself as his own person and complaining that Julien won't let go of him?  What-fuckin'-ever, dude.  They need to just write him out, he adds nothing to the show.

On one hand, I liked that they made the distinction that Julien and Zoya are sisters, not friends, and that Zoya, who's two years younger than the others, would and should have her own separate friend group.  The only problem is that this is a TV show and all the other main characters are Julien's circle.  So that leaves Zoya in a weird place narratively.

Max's moping was getting old so I was happy he, Audrey, and Aki finally managed to communicate and figure out what they all wanted and go for it.  I also continue to love his little side friendship with Luna, and her holiday romance subplot with the very handsome ranch hand was cute too.

I thought Kate and Nick were on the outs, when did they get back on such friendly terms that she's just dropping by to bitch about her day?

Well that’s the season.  Still mostly a mess, but the second half was better than the first so I’ll be back next year.

Edited by TeeVee329