Type keyword(s) to search

Highlander (1992) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Didn't see a thread for this amazing show, so created one!

Duncan MacLeod of the Clan MacLeod-my jam and the reason why I stuck through most of this series!

Thanks to a recent rewatch, it's on the brain and want to dish and bitch, heh. Tagging @BlackberryJam so she knows where to find it.

So, to start:

I loved that Christopher Lambert guest starred in the pilot: "Same Clan. Different Vintage."

I really wished he had appeared more often. But do NOT get me started on that horrid Endgame.

I don't know how I missed that Connor and KURGAN! got a mention in "The Watchers" when Duncan met Joe.

And sorry. As much as I love Richard Moll, his Slan was a poor substitute for Duncan's "Kurgan".

I don't know the reasons behind why Alexandra (Tessa) left the series so early in the second season; but it couldn't have been on bad terms because she returned in the season two finale as fake Tessa, and again in the series finale, in its version of "It's a Wonderful Life" Trope, where Duncan got to really say good-bye to her. And I won't lie--when he told her he loved her and left, I cried.

What?

I will forever hate whoever wrote the season five ender that had Duncan kill Richie. And I guess the powers that be convinced Adrian to return after that big pile of shit, though the final season was mostly about other immortals and not Duncan.

Well, I found a great price for the entire series, so when I get it, I'll be re-watching. Though I loved Tessa with Duncan. As stated in that other thread, as a human, she was no shrinking violet, and I loved Adrian and Alexandra's chemistry.

Hate Amanda. But more on that later.

• Love 2

Amanda sucks.  Methos rules.

Loved Kurgan! I follow Clancy Brown on twitter. I might have a Clancy crush. He was such a baby in that film. 

No lie, I wasn't much of a Tessa fan. I wasn't into the show for the romance, but rather the mythology at first. 

Favorite episode, Chivalry. 

Favorite arc, The Four Horseman.

Will write more later!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

Amanda sucks.  Methos rules.

Yay! Another fellow Amanda hater! I really hate, and I mean HAAAAAAATE that line of hers in the third season finale when they thought their secret of being immortals was going to be revealed by Kalas to the world about how Duncan had "always loved her."

BLECH. PTOOEY!🤢

Oh, I loved the show for the mythology of Immortals too--plus the flashbacks to the period pieces, though I always had to figure which decade/century it was in the first couple of seasons, by what war it was, or the clothing. I think it was in the third season they started showing the year when they flashed back.

I'm a sucker for romance. Sue me. So that's why I liked that there was already an established relationship, and there was no bullshit of the "will they or won't they to when will they?" trope.

2 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

Loved Kurgan! I follow Clancy Brown on twitter. I might have a Clancy crush. He was such a baby in that film.

So do I! He was after all, the BEST animated Lex Luthor! And Hakon from Disney's animated Gargoyles. And I said the very same thing in that other thread how Clancy looked like a baby in the movie, Highlander! Too bad HE didn't make a guest appearance.

What I found so laughable, when the show otherwise did a good job with Duncan's brogue/accent, was how they fucked it up with Amanda's. We saw when Duncan was still a relatively new immortal, even to when he was 200 years old, he still had the Scots brogue when meeting other immortals--yet, depending on where he was, England, France, he'd have the English accent.

But Amanda? Who is supposedly much older and from medieval days, as a current day AMERICAN accent in the flashbacks.

From the first season, I just really love the pilot because, hey, Connor MacLeod! But I also love "Mountain Men" because we have, hello, Magwua Wes Studi! But I really love how Duncan, after jumping off that cliff, goes all native and mountain man himself, as he tracks those assholes.

I remember loving Methos when he first arrived and he's a good foil for Duncan. I'll wait until I get my DVDS, yes, I just bought them from ebay for a steal, because I just realized that stupid IMDbTV isn't airing the complete episodes. Like in "Band of Brothers" I remember Grayson going to club and dancing or trying to dance with some young women, but that scene has been cut out.

If I'm watching with fucking ads, I want to see the whole episode. I'm anal like that.

And I really wasn't a fan of the introductions of the Hunters and Watchers. I mean, at the end of the latter, it's like every single watcher was some zombified human with their frowning, dead-eyed expressions. No, not someone that blends in!

Or Horton's daughter, who is all "Why? Whyyyyy?" as she's crying over her sadistic father's "body" when Duncan shoved his sword into him. Well, you stupid nit, your darling Daddy had just emptied his gun into Duncan. Plus you had just learned he murdered your fiance just a few minutes before. And until your Dadddy shot Duncan, Duncan planned on letting him go because of your mewling begging.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1

Oh, this is jogging so many memories. It’s been forever since I watched.

I didn’t mind Tessa so much and I’m generally a sucker for romance, but I just never clicked with any of Duncan’s love interests. 

Amanda was just dreadful with her, “I’m just a charming grifter and Duncan still loves me!” Schtick. Go away Amanda. 

Darius was a fantastic character and although they had planned to kill him off, they had wanted him to appear in flashbacks and as sort of a ghost visitor to Duncan. But the actor announced his brain tumors just before the Hunters episode. Just tragic. 

The Hunters were stupid and the only Watcher I liked was Joe…and …well, he was Joe and therefore likable. I hated his moving morals when it came to Watcher rules though. That was so plot driven.

Killing Richie was stupid.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

Oh, this is jogging so many memories. It’s been forever since I watched

Well, like I posted above, it’s now streaming on IMDbTV with ads. 

I really loved the immortals we met from the different time periods. Well, the ones from centuries past as opposed to the last 60-70.

And I really loved the sword ⚔️ as Adrian did most of those himself.

And Connor, in his one and only appearance, was a lot funnier than in his own movie!😄😄

I loved when he and Duncan were arguing over who would fight Slan, and Connor knocks out and when Tessa demands what happened, Connor is all surly with “”He was arguing!” as if that alone was reason enough to knock Duncan unconscious.😂😂😂😂

Then we have music by Queen! And the guest stars like Joan Jett! Though her French was hideous.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Yay! Another fellow Amanda hater! I really hate, and I mean HAAAAAAATE that line of hers in the third season finale when they thought their secret of being immortals was going to be revealed by Kalas to the world about how Duncan had "always loved her."

Wait. There are people who LIKE Amanda? My god she was an awful character, maybe a different/better actress could have pulled it off. I mean she was basically a female Fitzcairn but, without the charm. 

I loathed the final season, Duncan was basically a guest star in his own show. I believe they convinced Adrian Paul to come back specifically to setup a spin off and then they went with the worst choice. I mean really Methos was RIGHT there.

I can't forgive them for killing Ritchie, especially having Duncan kill Ritchie. 😥

I do love this series, I don't even hate EndGame...I kind of pretend it's Highlander, The Series and EndGame is an AU version of the Gathering.

Of course we're going to pretend The Source never happened...I mean it actually makes 2 and 3 good by comparison.

Best arc was definitely The Four Horseman and I actually think those were 2 of the best episodes they ever did. I also loved Chivalry and the 2 part Finale (To Be/Not to Be).

I get why they felt the need for relationships/romance but they never clicked for me. I always loved his deep friendships more (Joe, Ritchie, Methos, Fitz). I think they tried to hard to force the romance and they just never worked.

• Love 2

@Morrigan2575 WE ARE ONE. 

Methos would have been a great spinoff, just him snarking at people, throwing oldie wisie funny bombs.

All Amanda episodes were annoying and I loved how Methos found her annoying.

Oh Fitz. Fitz was so much fun.

The Source…dear lord, The Source. Could anything have been worse?

I also felt the romance was always forced. Maybe it was that AP didn’t quite produce the chemistry I wanted for romance. I loved him in the role, but he wasn’t the strongest actor out there. 

Edited by BlackberryJam
5 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

Favorite arc, The Four Horseman.

Absolutely, one of the best. I also liked Fitzcairn and was glad they brought him back in the flashback episodes.

The episode where Methos and Joe teamed up was fun. Peter Wingfield could play both the comedy and the drama. I loved the speech he gives about Alexa in Methuselah's Gift.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

I also felt the romance was always forced. Maybe it was that AP didn’t quite produce the chemistry I wanted for romance. I loved him in the role, but he wasn’t the strongest actor out there. 

I would have liked your post except for the quoted above!🤪

We'll just have to agree to disagree about Adrian generating chemistry, because, really Duncan's relationship with Tessa was the only relationship I liked. 

But. I think he's underrated. I mean, some might think (and I don't know because message boards were in its infancy when the show aired) Duncan's reaction to Darius's murder was melodramatic, but his screams chilled me and I can believe this reaction considering that Darius was a man of peace. At least we were spared seeing him get beheaded.

Werner Stocker's voice was just so...soothing. And he had beautiful eyes.

And I just watched "Finale 1" and "Finale 2", and STFU, Amanda! And FUCK OFF, you writers, for putting in that Duncan loved Amanda and always had. I refuse to ACCEPT that. What's to love about that twat? I'd forgotten SHE was the one who broke Kalas out of prison. I can't believe she survived so long, because she absolutely SUCKS at fighting. And Duncan didn't need saving. That ass Kalas was in PRISON. Not still running around killing people willy-nilly, and hunting Duncan. As pretty as Adrian/Duncan is, I fast forwarded scenes of him with HER. 

And OMGEEE, watching "Methos", that had to be the ABSOLUTE WORST AND CRINGEWORTHY "performances" of lip synching of Opera by Kalas and Duncan's love interest in 1921.

For all his railing against Duncan, and how Duncan just couldn't be wrong about Pete, Horton's patsy in "Counterfeit" part I, Richie sure did a quick turnaround and admitted he might have been wrong about Pete, right after Duncan sees and talks with Lisa/Fake Tessa.

Please tell me that Horton is really dead for real DEAD!DEAD!DEAD! after this finale.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I think he's underrated

Adrian Paul showed up on Arrow in S7 and I was so excited because AP was great as Evil Duncan in Something Wicked (after the Dark Quickening). 

I thought he did a great job on Arrow, of course Arrow screwed up the character/story for "shock" value. Typical CW writing but, he was great and still looked damn good. I was happy to see how many people geeked out when he showed up on screen.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Adrian Paul showed up on Arrowi n S7 and I was so excited 

I know! I was unspoiled, so when I saw that HE was Dante, I couldn't stop squeeing all over that episode thread!😜

And he looked sooooooooooo good.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I know! I was unspoilered, so when I saw that HE was Dante, I couldn't stop squeeing all over that episode thread!😜

And he looked sooooooooooo good.

You beat me before I could finish my post 😂

Yes, he looked so good and was really good. I remember watching the episode and wasn't spoiled and he showed up and I lost it. 

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I would have liked your post except for the quoted above!🤪

We'll just have to agree to disagree about Adrian generating chemistry, because, really Duncan's relationship with Tessa was the only relationship I liked. 

But. I think he's underrated. I mean, some might think (and I don't know because message boards were in its infancy when the show aired) Duncan's reaction to Darius's murder was melodramatic, but his screams chilled me and I can believe this reaction considering that Darius was a man of peace. At least we were spared seeing him get beheaded.

Werner Stocker's voice was just so...soothing. And he had beautiful eyes.

[snip]

And OMGEEE, watching "Methos", that had to be the ABSOLUTE WORST AND CRINGEWORTHY "performances" of lip synching of Opera by Kalas and Duncan's love interest in 1921.

For all his railing against Duncan, and how Duncan just couldn't be wrong about Pete, Horton's patsy in "Counterfeit" part I, Richie sure did a quick turnaround and admitted he might have been wrong about Pete, right after Duncan sees and talks with Lisa/Fake Tessa.

Please tell me that Horton is really dead for real DEAD!DEAD!DEAD! after this finale.

I think AP is a gorgeous man, but I never felt sexual attraction to his love interests. I got more from PW's awkward flirting with Alexa than I did from any of AP's love scenes. Maybe because they had AP romancing so many different women in flashbacks. I didn't doubt that Duncan loved Tessa, I just didn't invest in it. I couldn't invest in any of them.

Werner Stocker was lovely and I know they really felt his loss in the show.

That opera episode...bwhahahahahahahahahaha. So bad. I mean, so bad. What the show did well was the fight scenes. When I re-watch, I just fastforward through the singing bits. I thought the show was at it's best when it was charming and at it's worst when they were trying for full angst. Amanda though, she was just not a good actress. I remember they did some testing with other female Immortals when they were considering a spinoff and it ended up with Amanda and that bland actor from Soapdish. He was a chemistry black hole with her.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

What the show did well was the fight scenes.

Yes! I loved, Love the fight scenes! And when Duncan is in warrior mode, like he was in "Nowhere to Run" trying to protect that smarmy rapist.

3 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

That opera episode...bwhahahahahahahahahaha. So bad. I mean, so bad.

I know! I remember a critic skewering the opera scene in Godfather III, but that performance, if I recall correctly, had the actor actually looking like he was singing the opera, instead of just opening his mouth in an O like Kalas and what'sherface were doing.

I got second, third, and fourth hand embarrassment just watching the actors.

14 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Yes! I loved, Love the fight scenes! And when Duncan is in warrior mode, like he was in "Nowhere to Run" trying to protect that smarmy rapist.

I know! I remember a critic skewering the opera scene in Godfather III, but that performance, if I recall correctly, had the actor actually looking like he was singing the opera, instead of just opening his mouth in an O like Kalas and what'sherface were doing.

I got second, third, and fourth hand embarrassment just watching the actors.

Yeah...just zipped through that to get to Adam Pierson/Methos. I love that his first scene with Duncan was to toss him a beer. So very Methos. Duncan was flummoxed. AP actually did flummoxed very well. 

I got to find the Quickenings a little dull. I mean, all the lightening and stuff. We get it. 

7 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

didn't doubt that Duncan loved Tessa, I just didn't invest in it. I couldn't invest in any of them.

Looking back I think there were a few problems. First is that Duncan was already in an existing relationship with Tessa. We didn't get to see them fall in love and, that hurt their relationship for some people (although I actually preferred it). The other issue is that all the romance partners in the past plus Tessa made the relationships in S3+ less important. Am I supposed to care about the Doctor, Fake Tessa, etc when every time I turn around we find out about some past love/lover/wife? 

Also, for some reason they settled on Amanda as the big recurring LI and I couldn't stand her. So, for me when I think back on Highlander it's the relationships with the male characters, his friends/brothers/etc that seem the most genuine and have depth and, let's face it, his friendship with Methos was fun. They tried to force all of that with Amanda and Anne but, it didn't work. Tessa had the doomed love interest storyline, like Heather in the movie.

I love everything Methos/Duncan in this episode.

• Love 3

YES YES YES. I smiled through that entire thing! I invested so much more in Duncan's friendships than his revolving door love life. Duncan thinks he's buttering Methos up with tea and cookies and Methos is all, "yeah, buddy, no, this ain't working, but wait, maybe I could have some fun with it!"

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Looking back I think there were a few problems. First is that Duncan was already in an existing relationship with Tessa. We didn't get to see them fall in love and, that hurt their relationship for some people (although I actually preferred it). The other issue is that all the romance partners in the past plus Tessa made the relationships in S3+ less important. Am I supposed to care about the Doctor, Fake Tessa, etc when every time I turn around we find out about some past love/lover/wife? 

Also, for some reason they settled on Amanda as the big recurring LI and I couldn't stand her. So, for me when I think back on Highlander it's the relationships with the male characters, his friends/brothers/etc that seem the most genuine and have depth and, let's face it, his friendship with Methos was fun. They tried to force all of that with Amanda and Anne but, it didn't work. Tessa had the doomed love interest storyline, like Heather in the movie.

I love everything Methos/Duncan in this episode.

Okay, that was HILARIOUS!

😅😅😅

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I also liked that the relationship was already established. And it wasn't until the end of the first season that old loves popped up: Grace, Linda. I don't count Amanda as a past love, because she wasn't. And frankly after Tessa died, I wasn't interested in Duncan's love life; like you and @BlackberryJam, I loved the friendships with Richie, Methos and other immortal friends.

33 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

So, for me when I think back on Highlander it's the relationships with the male characters, his friends/brothers/etc that seem the most genuine and have depth and, let's face it, his friendship with Methos was fun. They tried to force all of that with Amanda and Anne but, it didn't work. Tessa had the doomed love interest storyline, like Heather in the movie.

I'd compare Tessa to Brenda, actually. Since Heather was able to stay married to Connor until old age and when she passed.

I think it was in the flashback of Highlander 3? (which is really the sequel to the original, or that's what IMDb states) where we saw Brenda die? All I can recall is a hospital and Brenda swathed in bandages.

1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

think it was in the flashback of Highlander 3? (which is really the sequel to the original, or that's what IMDb states) where we saw Brenda die? All I can recall is a hospital and Brenda swathed in bandages.

Wow. I don't remember that. All I remember from 3 was Mario Van Peebles as the bad guy.

I think I might remember more from 2 (which is better forgotten/erased from history). Of course that was just crazy with the Alien stuff

Edited by Morrigan2575

It’s been a long time since I’ve seen any full episodes and I can’t recall one terrible film from the others. I just rewatch the bits and episodes that I really loved. 

Perhaps this is sacrilege, but I wasn’t the biggest Richie fan. I never felt like he could carry an episode. I enjoyed him for his relationship to Mac and nothing more. 

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

Perhaps this is sacrilege, but I wasn’t the biggest Richie fan. I never felt like he could carry an episode. I enjoyed him for his relationship to Mac and nothing more. 

So glad you said this, because I feel the same way.

Yes, I thought it was horrible the way they killed off Richie--by Duncan's hand! I think I read that Stan Kirsch wanted to leave. So fine, have Richie leave--ALIVE. There was no reason to add this burden of guilt on Duncan--to have killed the surrogate brother and friend.

But most times, Richie just annoyed me. Like in "Counterfeit", he was just so quick to believe that Pete was a good guy and the whole story wasn't too "neat" like Duncan said it was. He'd just met Pete and already, he's spouting "Pete's my friend, Pete's my friend!" to Duncan.

Whatever.

Now I just skipped over to watch the Fake Tessa episodes, the season three finale with the threat of exposing the Immortals, and the introduction of Methos, so in the latter, we had scenes of Richie on the bike racing track, so clearly he and Duncan had separated. I can't remember what caused it, since after Duncan sold the Barge at the end of season two, both of them were heading...wherever.

But clearly, Duncan got another Barge, or got the original Barge back in season three some time, since that's where he was at the end of season 3.

I've only seen the original movie, twice. The first time, and last week after we were discussing it in the movies thread. I saw the other two, on video, thank the movie Gods, because the second was on par with Endgame. The third, slightly better, something about Connor waking from a deep sleep, and we got a flashback of a dying Brenda. All I remember from that one was Connor making a new sword, and training for the battle with Mario Van Peebles' evuhl immortal. I just remember him looking sexay in jeans and a sweatshirt. Even if he does a horrible Scots brogue, I really like the sound of Christopher Lambert's voice.

3 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

Watching old episodes and Duncan’s pleated baggy pants are cracking me up.

It’s the 90s!!! 🤣🤣🤣

What cracks me up is the piss poor job they did making Vancouver look like the West coast or wherever it was supposed to be located.

But I do have to admit, I really liked the way Duncan dressed so…sophisticated? Despite the pleats! I loved how classy he looked.

Whaaaaat??????

1 minute ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

It’s the 90s!!! 🤣🤣🤣

What cracks me up is the piss poor job they did making Vancouver look like the West coast or wherever it was supposed to be located.

But I do have to admit, I really liked the way Duncan dressed so…sophisticated? Despite the pleats! I loved how classy he looked.

Whaaaaat??????

On rewatch, I hate the ponytail even more than I did before. I’m watching Chivalry and Ann Turkel is just chewing up scenery and vomiting it out.

AP has great bone structure and fantastic shoulders.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

On rewatch, I hate the ponytail even more than I did before. I’m watching Chivalry and Ann Turkel is just chewing up scenery and vomiting it out.

AP has great bone structure and fantastic shoulders.

I know the ponytail in the first season was fake, but Adrian’s hair had to be long, right? There were some episodes where his hair was loose and long; even when wet.

I have never liked Ann Turkel and think she’s FUGLY. For some reason, I’d forgotten about Methos (😱) was in “Chivalry”. I just remember being shocked at seeing Adrian’s bum! Duncan was a young Immortal at 75 years old when he tangled with Kristen. I had read that it was Adrian’s bum. Of course in later airings, they edited it out!😒

Turkel is a bad actress. 

Next episode has Rae Dawn Chong and I had forgotten how much the blues playing annoyed me. She’s lovely, but the informal “jamming” is bad. So bad. 

I enjoy that RDC didn’t have any weird Duncan lust. 

This episode also introduced Alexa, who was lovely in her brief appearance.

• Love 1

Oh OH!

Her: A start to what?

Him: To dinner, a film, a concert, a smile, a sunset, a walk, all of the above, whatever you would like.

(She mocks the line and then)

Her: Why do you want to go out with me?

Him: Because the alternative is unthinkable.

MY HEART.

The pure joy on his face when he says yes…like a teenager. I’d forgotten how much I love that bit.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

Oh OH!

Her: A start to what?

Him: To dinner, a film, a concert, a smile, a sunset, a walk, all of the above, whatever you would like.

(She mocks the line and then)

Her: Why do you want to go out with me?

Him: Because the alternative is unthinkable.

MY HEART.

The pure joy on his face when he says yes…like a teenager. I’d forgotten how much I love that bit.

That entire scene was pure gold. I hated that he couldn't save her. Yet, I think that was one of the deeper stories. It really burned home how long they live, how much death they experience.

• Love 1

This was my show back in the day, and why I collected swords at the time.  Also the fight choreography for the first two seasons was done by Bob Anderson, who was also the sword master on the original movie as well as The Princess Bride, the 1993 Three Musketeers, the Lord of the Rings, Mask of Zorro, Pirates of the Caribbean, and was the stunt double for Errol Flynn and he was in the Darth Vader suit for the fight in Empire Strikes Back.

On 11/15/2021 at 2:23 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I don't know the reasons behind why Alexandra (Tessa) left the series so early in the second season; but it couldn't have been on bad terms because she returned in the season two finale as fake Tessa, and again in the series finale, in its version of "It's a Wonderful Life" Trope, where Duncan got to really say good-bye to her.

As I understand it, she wanted to stay in Europe and didn't want to bounce around between France and Vancouver.

Unpopular opinion, but I actually kinda liked Amanda, but I think she worked best as more of a foil to Duncan than as a love interest. 

• Love 2
On 11/15/2021 at 4:20 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I'll wait until I get my DVDS, yes, I just bought them from ebay for a steal, because I just realized that stupid IMDbTV isn't airing the complete episodes. Like in "Band of Brothers" I remember Grayson going to club and dancing or trying to dance with some young women, but that scene has been cut out.

I bet they're showing the American syndication edit. It would have about 2 minutes cut out of each episode to allow for more ads.

Those cut scenes were referred to as "Eurominutes" because the were shown in Europe. They were later released on VHS/DVD in the US.

On 11/20/2021 at 8:43 AM, Nialla said:

I bet they're showing the American syndication edit. It would have about 2 minutes cut out of each episode to allow for more ads.

Those cut scenes were referred to as "Eurominutes" because the were shown in Europe. They were later released on VHS/DVD in the US.

I remember that! And I had bought the VHS sets for the first two seasons I think. Maybe that's why I remember Grayson's "dancing" scene!

Got the dvds on Saturday! They look real purty.

But I have to admit my frustration with companies that make these complete series sets that don't provide subtitles. I guess they make enough of a profit that they don't care that those that are hearing impaired or deaf that watched these shows and want the complete set, can't purchase them for cheap prices. The only reason I got the complete series is because buying them individually is so expensive and/or not available.

I think I might still have the VHS sets, as those had extras from the first season, I think, where they had the making of the show and interviews with Adrian and the experts the show hired to train him. With this set, there are bonus features for seasons 3, 4, and 6. I don't care about any extras for the final season unless it's interviews with Adrian. 

Whaaat?

Anyhoo.

I don't know about anyone else, but I find Christopher Lambert/Connor's laugh very charming. And it was Connor who was arguing when he punched Duncan out. Heh.

• Love 2

I loved this show and am just now binge watching my dvds lol.  I have the Duncan sword I bought too all mounted.  I am up to the Tess episode where she dies.  This one was the saddest of all the episodes.  I wish she didn't die.  I can see Richie being an immortal.  It's a shame the actress wanted to leave.  I love this show especially the first few seasons.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, MyMaui said:

I loved this show and am just now binge watching my dvds lol.  I have the Duncan sword I bought too all mounted.  I am up to the Tess episode where she dies.  This one was the saddest of all the episodes.  I wish she didn't die.  I can see Richie being an immortal.  It's a shame the actress wanted to leave.  I love this show especially the first few seasons.

If you paid attention, you knew or had an inkling that Richie was a future immortal in the pilot. It was the exchange between Connor and Duncan had. Of course, it only took me the third or fourth viewing to catch it.

• Love 1

I did that too in Downton Abbey but eventually I  could forget it and like the doctor.  I see actors from Highlander now and then in other roles and I enjoy that.  When I watched Highlander no one else I knew watched it.  I even had a calendar at work and the only time it was mentioned was when someone said Duncan had a good dancing position.

Hello, three other people that watched this show. 

I think the 4th and 5th seasons were as good as anything on tv at the time. Part of it was because they gave more mythology, but all played good comic bits as well. I think they could have done way more. It's almost like they didn't realize they could set an episode in the past. Not every day of an immortal's life is fighting and revenge. 

As much as Methos is the best, I think Homeland is probably the best 'Highlander' episode. iirc, Peter W didn't want to be in a spin off because he'd aged. I think in the final season, the spin off should have gone to Claudia Christian's character. She played a bounty hunter. I'm fine with Amanda as a foil for Duncan, but she can't carry a series because she never really was a regular taking heads character. You kind of need that for a show. 

I would recommend any of the tie in novels. One is all Methos. There's a book about the show called 'An Evening At Joe's' with content from some of the writers and some new stories. 

• Like 1
On 11/16/2021 at 10:46 AM, BlackberryJam said:

What the show did well was the fight scenes.

I feel like I'm weird because I never really cared about the fight scenes or the quickenings.

You can add me to your list of non-Amanda fans.  Never knew what Mac saw in him.  I share tessa's incredulity when she said "You saw her again?"

Richie was my favorite character.  Also hate that Mac killed him.  also loved Joe. Not that big into Adam.  Such a know-it-all.  OK, I'll grant that a 5,000 year old man probably has some right to be  a know-it-all, but still bugs me.

On 5/21/2022 at 2:11 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

If you paid attention, you knew or had an inkling that Richie was a future immortal in the pilot. It was the exchange between Connor and Duncan had. Of course, it only took me the third or fourth viewing to catch it.

I "discovered" the show in Season 3, so obviously when I went back to watch Season 1, I already knew.  Kind of bummed, because I wonder if I would have caught the clues.  Especially in Family Tree when Mac said "maybe they don't know" about who Richie's parents were.

I don't think they ever really knew what to do with Richie. By season 4 or 5, they could have had some standalone Richie episodes if they wanted. Being a syndicated show in the 90s, I can get that you want to stick to the formula. 

I did like when they gave him the racing career until he blew it. I still enjoy the scene of Duncan waiting patiently in the hotel room and Richie snuck in with a curtain wrapped around him - "I assume this is supposed to teach me a lesson?"

You didn't have to have a quickening every week, but again, formula. Also they created a character who is going to look for fights in a way because of who he is. If they did a show on Methos (my first name on mbtv!) , it would be mostly him sitting around cafes and bars being flirty and glib, and then reading sometimes. 

I tend to think nowadays he's taken to himself and not been in the Game, much like Connor had been at the start of the show. 

• Like 1