Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E04: See You on the Other Side

paulvdb
  • Start Topic

Hope wrestles with her reality. Alaric entrusts the Super Squad to work together. Cleo confides in Landon. Meanwhile, MG divulges some important information to Lizzie and Finch sees a different side to Josie.

Airdate: November 4, 2021

Well...

That got dark. Will it stay dark? I dunno, but a very enjoyable episode.

I am enjoying Ted, it's a fun way to keep him around without overusing him.  

I really hope that Malivore is finished, kaput, done.

3 hours ago, paulvdb said:

Airdate: November 4, 2021

Man this episode is the epitome of everything right and wrong with this show. I didn’t hate the episode yet I still feel unbelievably frustrated by it. 

The show has an intriguing lead heroine yet they seem to boil everything about her to a relationship. The relationship could be compelling if they weren’t basically copy and pasting storylines from other shows for them but adding there own twist for the worse. In this episode Hope becomes the tribrid and is completely badass knowing what needs to be done. However, straight out of Buffy/Angel season 2 the real soul of the boyfriend comes back before she can strike the fatal blow. Both know that they have to kill their boyfriend. Buffy does it in a heartbreakingly beautiful way. Hope needs a pep talk from Landon to be able to do the right thing and kill him. Then both heroines end the episode to shut themselves off from their friends.

Also unlike the Buffy storyline, this show doesn’t even try to hide the fact that it isn’t going to last. At least with Angel it was a 3-4 episodes before he returned and they didn’t hint his return within 5 minutes of his death. 

The show dips its toes into really interesting turns but always pulls back. Hope without her humanity killing Alaric would be such a dark twist but the show will only tease it and he will probably be in the hospital hurt for a little bit. Also you have Kaleb turning on his friends last episode only to seemingly change his mind but face no consequences. Not only that he seems to be rewarded as Cleo all of sudden seems to be interested in him.

The show has queer characters. The show doesn’t know how to write a relationship for queer. If you have to have magical fireworks go off when the couple kisses to try to get across that they are special together but haven’t done anything in the the writing to show it than you have a problem. They basically cast a someone to play a queer character and it is automatic that she and Josie are into each other. There is no build up to show why they may like each other. They just met and were automatically into each other and making date/lunch plans right away. 

The show has a great foundation with the friendship of the three lead female characters. Josie and Lizzie both know that for this to end Hope was going to become the tribrid and kill her boyfriend even if he was taken over by Malivore. Yet they don’t seem at all interested in trying to find her and see how she is doing. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, ybrik said:

The show dips its toes into really interesting turns but always pulls back. Hope without her humanity killing Alaric would be such a dark twist but the show will only tease it and he will probably be in the hospital hurt for a little bit. Also you have Kaleb turning on his friends last episode only to seemingly change his mind but face no consequences. Not only that he seems to be rewarded as Cleo all of sudden seems to be interested in him.

This. It is really frustrating sometimes.  The show runs right up to the edge of really interesting stories and then shies away from following through, instead reverting to the status quo.

Like, I get that it would be a really big deal for Hope to actually kill Alaric.  Fine. He's a contract actor and unless he's leaving for some reason which would radically alter the show dynamic, that's probably a no go.  But it appears from the previews (and would be consistent with this show) that Alaric is in the hospital next week.  You have Hope with her humanity turned off and that's it?  Why would she send a "message" and spare him?  Hope shouldn't be concerned about contract status. It would have been a solid choice to have her drop someone dead at Alaric's feet... maybe someone we've seen before but isn't integral. But, Hel, even a random MFH student would get the point across, i.e. Hope shut down her fucks and will kill to make a point. 

And I agree abut Kaleb.  I love the character and the actor. But that was way too easy. After all the shit they've given Hope for choosing Landon and MG for his thing with the ascendant, Kaleb should be in the penalty box socially for more than a morning.  (I totes love that he's still part dragon... relatedly, wtf is Ethan now?)

• Love 1

That certainly did go dark, although I am not surprised that Hope turned her humanity off, or it just switched and she hasn't turned it back on* yet after having to kill Landon. I don't at all think that Hope is going to kill Alaric, she'll probably just hurt him, and of course we know that Landon will come back, so all of the drama is transparently not going to mean much. Still a pretty intense episode though, and I was invested even with its flaws. 

Can Malivore please be gone now? Can we slam that magic door shut extra hard and add in some magical boards on the door to make totally sure he wont come back to bore us again? Can we PLEASE get a new bad guy, even if that bad guys just Bad Hope for an episode or two? 

I hope that Landon comes back again for real soon, I miss when he was actually around and interacting with the whole cast. I like him and Hope so much more when they are around other people besides each other and are drowning in angst. 

Kaleb is getting off way too easy for selling everyone out to Malivore, he should be in way more trouble then just getting put in a time out box for a day. He even gets Cleo now, which just makes it all even more annoying. And this is after all of the shit people (including Kaleb) have given Hope about prioritizing Landon over everyone. But I guess its consistent with this world, people have easily forgiven way worse things then what Kaleb did. A very forgiving bunch, the supernatural world. 

*I know that this is a major part of the mythology and they have done some cool things with it, but the whole thing about vampires being able to turn their humanity off and on, and always phrasing it like that, always makes me giggle a bit. Its like becoming a murderous sociopath is as easy as accidently flipping the light on when you bump into it. Oh, your vampire is acting strangely? Have you tried turning them off and on again?

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Is it time for Landon to become a phoenix again? Maybe then they can complete the proposed plan to save Rafe and bring him back from that bus trip they sent him on. Maybe for the finale.

Can we please avoid a stupid love triangle with Lizzie, MG, and Ethan?

Fireworks? Really, show?

Wouldn't Ric have vervain in his blood? Maybe a tribrid wouldn't be adversely affected by that.

Edited by Terrafamilia