Type keyword(s) to search

S23.E03: Jesse

shantown
  • Start Topic

Jesse grows up gender fluid in a household rife with addiction, trauma and dysfunction; after nearly losing his mother to drugs, Jesse spirals into an addiction of his own and now lives on the streets.

Airs 11/01/21 (10:01-11:04pm) on A&E

Am I the only one who is watching Intervention? This was an interesting episode, the mom truly was an enabler and I yelled at the TV when it was said that the mom told his friend (I think) that it was for Intervention. I wanted the Interventionist to call her out on it, but he didn't and I suppose that was for the best but man, I wanted to smack the mom. 

My recording cut off at the very end so I didn't see the usual blurb about how the person is doing. Can anyone enlighten me? 

• Love 2

They left treatment after 4 days. Went back to treatment after a while and then left early again. Currently Jesse is living on the streets again. The chyron said that mom says she is holding her bottom line, but I get the feeling that she won't hold it forever. 

I really liked Jesse. So much trauma, and had it been handled differently earlier on in his life, things might have been different. This was one of the most likeable addicts this show has profiled. I was really saddened to see the update at the end, I had hope for this one. 

• Love 3

How much trauma can you pack into one short life? Any one of ten separate things in Jesse’s life would have made addiction predictable. To lose your only stable parent…then to be abandoned by your mom over and over again as she goes through a cycle of recovery and relapse…then to be abused and attacked by both peers and staff in a group home…

But yes, so likable. I loved that Jesse was like: he, she, whatever…I’m all the genders and none, so any pronouns work, who cares?

I wonder what work Mama Jesse was doing that allowed her to give Jesse $500/week (that she would admit to!). After all those years of addiction, she can’t have that much earning power.

• Love 3

I’m not sure there is any hope for any of them except the uncle.  He was earnestly avoiding ‘ toxic relationships’.  I expect the mom to be living on the streets with Jesse soon. 
the only honest thing the mom said was that the entire family had brought Jesse to where he was  today. 
where was Hell’s Angel grandpa?  He was never mentioned after they said Grandma died and Jesse went to a group home. 

• Love 2
On 11/3/2021 at 8:59 PM, mythoughtis said:

I’m not sure there is any hope for any of them except the uncle.  He was earnestly avoiding ‘ toxic relationships’.  I expect the mom to be living on the streets with Jesse soon. 
the only honest thing the mom said was that the entire family had brought Jesse to where he was  today. 
where was Hell’s Angel grandpa?  He was never mentioned after they said Grandma died and Jesse went to a group home. 

I have to wonder if he was the “close family member” who abused Jesse. 😢

I have liked and rooted for all three subjects so far this season but Jesse broke my heart the most.  I just wanted to reach out and hug them.  Poor kid did not stand a chance. Still rooting for them, though. 

• Love 2

I thought the uncle came off as a bit self-righteous. From what I understand the uncle, Jesse's mom and pretty much every adult in the household was using while Jesse grew up, so these people were using into their 40's and 50's. They've been clean not even 2 years. I understand if he needs to distance himself from Jesse for his own sobriety, of course, but he was just so aggressive about it, calling Jesse toxic and not seeming to have much compassion for him when talking to the sister or taking any ownership for being a bad influence.   

• Love 2