Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E04: Uneasy Lies the Crown

thewhiteowl
  • Start Topic

Bull faces uncertainty in court, when TAC handles a class action suit against a vaping company selling malfunctioning devices, and the trial outcome hinges on just one juror. Marissa takes the initiative when Bull ignores TAC’s growing financial difficulties.

This season feels like the grand finale of a fireworks show when you see a whole bunch of fireworks going up and you know it's because they want to use everything up before the end of the show. I can't believe the show has already run out of ideas. 

• Love 1

Another of the few interesting plots on this show, at least with regard to the ending.  Was Bull off his rocker, or did he do that intentionally to create a fiasco in TAG?  Either way, he can't argue himself out of this one.  Maybe he's grooming Marissa to take over.  I did like the subplot of financial difficulties at the firm.  I could see, in the future, TAG becoming something like the law firm in The Good Wife, where they have investors to provide a foundation for the firm's practice.  Leasing out the algorithm seems somewhat self-destructive, as any opposition to TAG in a courtroom would be on semi-equal footing.  Of course, it might be a boon to mirror jury personnel.  Who would pay more?  Maybe someone would start another consulting group, providing mirror juries at a moderate expense.

I was involved in a class action suit many years ago (and will never, ever do that again).  This one involved defective housing construction, and I can attest to the pressure that the attorneys place on the clients to not drop out of the case.  It wasn't about remedying the defects; it was about reaching a settlement, with the appropriate fee for the attorneys.  In fact, our attorney said that the case had already been presented with all the experts, and, unless we (as individuals) had some bombshell testimony, we were superfluous.  In other words, don't say anything during depositions because you can only hurt the case. Yes, no, and I don't remember were the acceptable responses.

• Useful 1

This was uncomfortable to watch, with Bull clearly losing it and in over his head.  I don't believe he did any jury tampering though, he's not that stupid.  He knew that it could blow up in his face.  Felt really bad for Marissa, she's treated like a secretary not a founding partner.

• Love 3

I’m thinking this is some elaborate ruse masterminded by Bull to get at the opposing counsel or, possibly, the head juror. There was just something odd about how Bull greeted the female attorney. He went out of his way to use her first name. He nearly sounded as if he was flirting, which Bull did a lot of in the first 2 years. It seemed … odd. And every time someone mentioned the lead juror, people said how awful he would be on the jury. It just seemed … excessive. My money is there’s something squirrely with opposing counsel, and this is some elaborate sting.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, DavidWeis1 said:

My money is there’s something squirrely with opposing counsel, and this is some elaborate sting.

I'm hoping he gets done for jury tampering and when he gets out, Wosname has sold her software IP to the competition, banked some serious coin and retired to Tahiti.

• LOL 1

I can't stand Marissa she seems very entitled and self-involved to me.  She put on the facade of concerned and empathetic executive but I don't believe it for a minute.  I find her insufferable.

And I don't think she is a partner, in the sense of co-owner equal weight in decision making.  I believe she is Bull's employee, perhaps right hand but still just his 2nd.  Additionally, while she may have developed the algorithm, she probably does not own the rights to it, instead it is likely considered intellectual property of TAC and if so, she was WAY out of line to bring anyone in to demonstrate the tool with the intent of leasing it to other firms.

• Love 2

I think the writing is bad, it never fully explained the relationship or business dynamics between Marissa and Bull.  Like I said, she's treated like a glorified secretary rather than someone who came up with the algorithm in the first place.  Pretty sexist in my opinion.  Bull and Benny were always treated as the head honchos.

• Love 1

Perhaps I'm making things up in my head but I remember an episode that featured flashbacks to when Bull approached Marissa (stalker style as he is wont to do) as she was leaving her job at Homeland Security (?) to pitch his idea of a creating a firm specializing in "jury science" utilizing mirror jurors and he wanted her to come work for him and create the software that would automate it to some extent. 

I also always saw Benny as being subservient to Bull in the office hierarchy he just got more play and consultation because he was the one in courtroom arguing the cases.  I don't remember him ever exhibiting any authoritative gestures over Marissa.

We'll have to agree to disagree regarding how she is "treated" in the office by Bull and the rest of the staff.  We routinely see the other staff members defer to her and taking direction from her and not just when the men are away.  Bull, as owner of TAC, should not be expected to defer to her on any matter.  He can, should, and does take her thoughts under advisement but has no obligation to implement or allow her opinions to override his own.

• Love 2

What was odd to me was how passive their approach seemed to be.  Any other time, they would have had some experts from a variety of industries and disciplines, to show how inadequate it is to merely warn that it could become defective.  But instead, we saw them basically cede that point to the defense, and appearing to have to rely on outbursts from the husband of the vaping-in-the-garage woman to make their major points that should have been made more impressively by experts.  And just because that last-minute-witness guy was portrayed as kooky by the defense, shouldn't have stopped them from hammering home that just because the guy chose to also mention some smaller grievances to the CEO, doesn't detract at all from the truth of what he had told the CEO regarding safety.  Actually, the fact that all the guy's other complaints were valid (it's not like he was talking about aliens or factually incorrect things like ) even though petty, lends more credibility to his safety concern.  Plus they didn't even mention that the conversation with the CEO where he mentioned the small grievances was only one time of many that he had mentioned the safety concern.  And the guy's nuttiness has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the CEO decided not to implement the proposed solution of making the port non-standard...and the fact that the CEO even bothered to discuss the proposed solution and say that it was too expensive, shows that he believed the guy about the safety hazard!!!  

Also, I expected that when the renegade mother was talking about how her son won't leave the house, that Bull would suggest he testify, so the jury could see the impact.  That didn't happen, and it got me wondering if they had even put any of the injured people on the witness stand rather than just having their pictures present in the courtroom...in other cases we've seen, just the emotional impact of those people testifying was basically enough to win the case, and for this case, the impact of so many would seem to be enormous. 

IRL, I would be surprised that the jury would elect someone as foreman who had been an alternate for such a long amount of time.

• Love 4
On 11/2/2021 at 9:48 PM, LuvMyShows said:

Also, I expected that when the renegade mother was talking about how her son won't leave the house, that Bull would suggest he testify, so the jury could see the impact.

I actually thought that’s whose house he was parked in front of for just this reason.  Then I saw the juror open the door.   Bull messed up here.  He should not have been anywhere near a juror’s home and he knew that.  Do I think he bribed the juror?  No I don’t think he would and especially not this one.  That would backfire. 
As we all know, behind the scenes events happened with the writers and a  certain actor.  The actor is gone, are some writers gone too?  Because this season sucks.