Type keyword(s) to search

S29.E01: Daniel Craig, Léa Seydoux, Lashana Lynch, Rami Malek and Ed Sheeran

• Start Topic

I think my favorite part was when Graham and Daniel Craig were so impressed with Ed Sheeran's lawn. "We are so middle-aged!" Hee.

I enjoyed the running joke about Daniel Craig being old and having no memory.

I'm so glad the show is back. A studio audience makes a big difference. And a real Big Red Chair! Lashana Lynch's excitement was adorable.

It's interesting how the guests being separated does make a difference in how they interact.

• Love 6
20 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I think my favorite part was when Graham and Daniel Craig were so impressed with Ed Sheeran's lawn. "We are so middle-aged!" Hee.

That was hilarious.

I'm glad to have the show back, but they really do need to do something about telling the guests which anecdotes they're going to use.  I don't watch any other chat shows these days, but back when, I never noticed such hesitation on other shows when the host prompts the anecdote.  Or maybe it's just the way Graham does it.  But I just cringe while the guest looks confused, and I don't like cringing.  "Wasn't there an incident with your grandmother......?"  Guest:  "Huh?"

Also, it sounded like Rami Malek's was being asked about staying up late with some woman working on something, but the anecdote he told was completely unrelated.

It's great to have the show back, but I thought this wasn't a particularly strong outing.  It seemed like Léa Seydoux's English wasn't strong enough for the banter, Lashana Lynch didn't really work for me (except for the Big Red Chair glee), Rami Malek seemed dour (except when calling some person a mother fucker) and he didn't know how to answer the question about his character's complexion and asked Daniel Craig to answer.  Weird.  Daniel Craig saved the day, except when he seemed genuinely confused about what anecdote Graham was asking about.

And, about that Big Red Chair--I'm glad Graham flipped her because of the stupid comment at the end, which takes it firmly out of amusing embarrassing anecdote.  I'm sure they practice these things, but still.  And I'm beginning to doubt the anecdote itself--contraceptive pills are tiny and I can't imagine putting one on the counter to take later, never mind mixing it up with some sort of dog medicine.  "I didn't know whether to call the vet or my gynecologist."  Sure.

• Love 3
On 10/4/2021 at 11:41 AM, StatisticalOutlier said:

and he didn't know how to answer the question about his character's complexion and asked Daniel Craig to answer.

I believe he looked to Daniel, because as stated earlier by Daniel they were keeping things heavily under wraps regarding the story/plot because the pandemic kept the release date out of theater for so long they didn't want to give too much away. So I took it as he was trying to get confirmation from Daniel if it was something they should talk about and Daniel explained it was another plot point. With the long stretch from the end of filming to the actual release date of the film, a lot of them seemed unsure of what they could actually talk about.

On 10/4/2021 at 11:41 AM, StatisticalOutlier said:

Also, it sounded like Rami Malek's was being asked about staying up late with some woman working on something, but the anecdote he told was completely unrelated.

Yes this was weird. They were talking about working with Phoebe Waller-Bridge and then his response didn't even mention her.

• Love 2

I've never seen Rami Malek come off well on a talk show or in a public appearance of any kind, so this was no surprise. But then perhaps that's due to my not thinking the sun shines out of his ass like so many people seem to.

The ladies were quite a bit better, particularly Lashana, but it was really Daniel Craig's show. I loved the running joke about him forgetting what happened in the movie.

My favorite part was Graham's exasperated dismissal of the Red Chair woman, though. He looked and sounded like he wished there were a Bond-style death trap to flip her into with the lever.

• Love 3

These episodes where it's everyone from the same movie there to promote that movie are never as enjoyable as those with a good mix of people. And there's really no excuse for the celebs seeming baffled at what anecdote they're being prompted for. They all do pre-interviews with a producer. They know what 2-3 things they offered up as possible things to be asked about. If they can't remember what stuff was on the table a few hours later, then they're way too lagged from this press tour.

I cut the actors a lot of slack for not remembering what anecdote they told where. A promo tour like one for a Bond movie is punishing. They can probably barely remember what city they're in and what day it is.

I also wonder how far in advance these particular pre-interviews were. The movie's release was postponed a few times, and for the first one, at least, I believe everything had already been set up. So did Graham's researchers do another round of interviews or use the originals?

• Useful 1
  • Love 3