Type keyword(s) to search

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom (2022)

tv echo
  • Start Topic

Current Release Date:  December 16, 2022 

‘Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom’ Casts Indya Moore, Jani Zhao and Vincent Regan (Exclusive)
BY BORYS KIT     SEPTEMBER 24, 2021
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/aquaman-and-the-lost-kingdom-cast-1235020425/ 

Jani Zhao, Indya Moore and Vincent Regan have joined the Warner Bros. DC movie that is now in production with James Wan in the director’s seat. Meanwhile, Randall Park has returned to reprise his role from the first big-budget installment in the adventures of the man who would be king of the underwater kingdom of Atlantis.

Jason Momoa is back as the half-human, half-Atlantean hero as are many of the first movie’s actors, including Patrick Wilson as Orm, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II as Black Manta, Amber Heard as Mera and Dolph Lundgren as King Nereus.
Zhao is playing a mystery character named Stingray. It is unclear if the role is villainous in nature but it is an original character created for the movie.

Moore is playing longtime DC character Karshon. The character was originally a Green Lantern villain (he first appeared in 1963’s Green Lantern No. 24) who was originally a shark that, after being hit with radiation, gained intelligence and telepathic powers.

Regan is playing Atlan, the ancient ruler of Atlantis who caused the city to sink into the sea. The character appeared briefly in the 2018 Aquaman movie and was portrayed by Graham McTavish. A plot thread in that movie featured Aquaman finding Atlan’s trident.

Park returns as Dr. Stephen Shin, a marine biologist who in the comics was obsessed with finding the location of Atlantis.

Wan and Peter Safran are producing the movie that has a Dec. 16, 2022 release date.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

‘Aquaman And The Lost Kingdom’ BTS Reel Dropped During DC FanDome
By Anthony D'Alessandro  October 16, 2021
https://deadline.com/2021/10/aquaman-and-the-lost-kingdom-bts-reel-dropped-during-dc-fandome-1234856980/ 

DC FanDome dropped a behind the scenes reel today for Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom with director James Wan and stars Jason Somoa and Patrick Wilson talking up the sequel, however, the studio isn’t making the footage available online to fans. The pic comes out on Dec. 16, 2022 and the first Aquaman  is the highest grossing DC film of all-time making $1.1 billion worldwide. There’s shots of Momoa in water tanks on the set and what’s very clear is that Yahya Abdul-Mateen II’s Black Manta is definitely the enemy in part 2. “It’s a globe trotting story” promised Wan.

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom - Behind the Scenes Clip | DC FanDome
IGN Movie Trailers   Oct 16, 2021

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Aquaman 2: Jason Momoa Is Going Blonde For DC Sequel
By Liam Crowley   July 18, 2021
https://thedirect.com/article/aquaman-2-jason-momoa-blonde-hair-dc-sequel 

Taking to Instagram, Momoa announced in a video that he was in London, England to "start Aquaman 2 tomorrow." Momoa followed that up by providing a wardrobe update for Arthur Curry, noting he's due for a hair color change.

"This is the last day of the brown [hair]. I'm going to be a blonde. Supposedly have more fun. I don't know about that. We'll test it out."

New Aquaman 2 Poster Shows Jason Momoa's Hero With Blonde Hair & Updated Suit
By Richard Nebens    Feb 5, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/aquaman-2-jason-momoa-poster-blonde-hair-updated-suit 

The Chinese website Weibo released a new poster for Warner Bros' Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom.

In the middle of waves and a group of Koi fish, Jason Momoa's Arthur Curry is shown floating in the air (or water) in his new stealth suit. As teased through past reports and images, Momoa's hair, beard, and even eyebrows are also noticeably blonde.

007RHUuXly1gz2emqvrcxj325j3ttqv8.jpg 

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Warner Bros Bangs DC Drum Loudly At CinemaCon With ‘Aquaman And The Lost Kingdom’ Footage, ‘Shazam! Fury Of The Gods’ Trailer
By Nancy Tartaglione, Anthony D'Alessandro   April 26, 2022
https://deadline.com/2022/04/shazam-fury-of-the-gods-aquaman-and-the-lost-kingdom-trailers-1235010638/ 

Warner Bros brought a lot of DC — a lot — to its CinemaCon session Tuesday. In addition to a trailer for The Flash and Dwayne Johnson showing up to push DC League of Super-Pets and Black Adam, the cast of Shazam: Fury of the Gods stopped by with a trailer, as did James Wan who had a sizzle reel of Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom. 
Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom star Jason Momoa in a taped message introduced director James Wan to the crowd, who showed up onstage and spoke with Warner Bros’ CinemaCon host Aisha Tyler. Momoa said he was “stoked to have the band back together” and added, “It’ll be the best movie of the year.”
“I’m still in the midst of my director’s cut,” Wan told Tyler before showing off a sizzle reel that showed Black Manta coming to greater power. Lots of swirly, octopus-like underwater machines driven by the Aqua people here.

Wan said the return to Atlantis will continue the story and world that was created in first film and “take it to the next level.” That’s with “these new different kingdoms and new intense characters.”
The release date for Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom is March 17, 2023.

Aquaman And The Lost Kingdom Footage Reaction: Aquaman And Ocean Master Are Back, Baby! [CinemaCon 2022]
BY JENNA BUSCH AND DANIELLE RYAN     APRIL 26, 2022 
https://www.slashfilm.com/825596/aquaman-and-the-lost-kingdom-footage-reaction-cinemacon-2022/ 

James Wan is back to direct the new film, which stars Jason Momoa as Arthur Curry, aka Aquaman, Patrick Wilson as his brother Orm, aka Ocean Master, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II as Black Manta, Temuera Morrison as Tom Curry, Nicole Kidman as Atlanna, Amber Heard as Mera, Dolph Lundgren as Kin Nereus, Randall Park as Dr. Stephen Shin, Vincent Regan as Atlan, Jane Zhao as Stingray, Indya Moore as Karshon, and Pilou Asbæk in an unnamed role.
Wan said "The Lost Kingdom" is a continuation of what he did with the first "Aquaman" film, and he's tried to take it to the next level. There was a lot of wire work in the first film to mimic the performers being underwater, but for the sequel, Wan used 100 cameras to capture every angle and movement of the actors in order to create a 3D image of them. This freed up the actors a bit and gave Wan more creative freedom.

The footage he shared depicted Black Manta (Yahya Abdul-Mateen II) being taken over by an evil, ancient power. Arthur (Momoa) and Orm (Patrick Wilson) have to team up to fight against Black Manta, who is becoming even more of supervillain, complete with a cool underwater lair that would make Dr. Evil blush. There are also some freaky robotic ships that look like the Sentinels from "The Matrix," and it's entirely possible they're a part of Manta's crew, and we'll see Arthur and Orm fighting them as well.

Here is the official synopsis for "Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom" from Warner Bros. Pictures:

When an ancient power is unleashed, Aquaman must forge an uneasy alliance with an unlikely ally to protect Atlantis, and the world, from irreversible devastation.

Edited by tv echo

Aquaman 2 Will Feature Child of Amber Heard’s Mera (Exclusive)
By Liam Crowley   April 29, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/aquaman-2-amber-heard-mera-child-exclusive

The Direct can exclusively report that Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom will introduce the son of Jason Momoa's Arthur Curry and Amber Heard's Mera. No further details about the character are known at this time, aside from the fact that he is a young child and will be important to the plot.

(edited)
On 4/30/2022 at 7:50 AM, Spartan Girl said:

Wow. With the exception of Endgame, I think this might be the first superhero movie where the hero has a kid! 

Ant-Man

In series form -

Hawkeye 

Wanda (kind of)

Edited by Racj82
(edited)

Amber Heard says WB reduced her role as Mera in 'Aquaman 2'
Posted by u/BatmanNewsChris    May 16, 2022
https://www.reddit.com/r/DC_Cinematic/comments/ur3d4k/amber_heard_says_wb_reduced_her_role_as_mera_in/

'Aquaman 2' came up today during Amber Heard's ongoing trial with Johnny Depp. I typed up a transcript:

Lawyer: Have you participated in Aquaman 2?

Heard: "I have. I fought really hard to stay in the movie. They didn't want to include me in the film."

Were you ultimately able to film in Aquaman 2?

"A very pared down version of that role, yes."

What, if anything, changed in the script?

"I was given a script. Then given new versions of the script that had taken away scenes that had action in it, that depicted my character and another character, without giving any spoilers away. Two characters fighting with one another.

"They basically took a bunch out of my role. They just removed a bunch."

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Amber Heard says her Aquaman 2 role was 'pared down' amid Johnny Depp's 'smear campaign'
By Jessica Wang   May 16, 2022 
https://ew.com/movies/amber-heard-aquaman-2-role-pared-down-johnny-depp/ 

While Heard ultimately did appear in 2017's Justice League, the "biggest movie opportunity" of her career at that point," she said she had to fight to keep the part. She also testified that her role in Aquaman 2 was significantly pared down after the alleged attacks from Depp's team in the press.
"I had to fight really hard to keep my career after I got my [restraining order against Depp]," Heard told the court. "I lost opportunities. I got dropped from jobs and campaigns. I fought to keep my job and the biggest movie opportunity I had to date [with] Justice League with the option to [star in] Aquaman. I had to fight really hard to stay in Justice League because that was the time of the divorce."

Explaining her deal to appear in the superhero franchise, Heard said, "It's structured like a three-picture option. I signed on to do Justice League, where my character was introduced. The fee is small relative to what it will become if and when you do the other options or movies under that umbrella. So it was the contract for Justice League, which could then become Justice League 2, or it could be Aquaman or it could be some other movie within the DC Universe. And the second picture ended up being Aquaman, and the third being Aquaman 2. And each time the fee goes up." Heard said she earned $1 million for Aquaman and twice as much for the sequel, in which she reportedly appears on screen for just 10 minutes.

Heard testified she fought hard to stay in Aquaman 2 as well, alleging that Warner Bros., the studio behind the film, "didn't want to include me." Asked if she was "actively scheduling timing for filming" for Aquaman 2 before Depp's alleged smear campaign, Heard responded yes. Asked if she was actively involved after Depp's team called her a liar in the press, she answered, "No. The communications stopped at that point."

Heard said she ended up appearing in a "very pared-down version" of the original story planned for her character Mera in Aquaman 2. "I was given a script and then given new versions of the script that had taken away scenes that had action in it, that depicted my character and another character, without giving any spoiler aways, two characters fighting with one another, and they basically took a bunch out of my role," Heard testified. "They just removed a bunch out."

Edited by tv echo

Amber Heard Says ‘Aquaman 2’ Role Reduced Due to Depp Allegations
BY JAMES HIBBERD   MAY 17, 2022
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/amber-heard-aquaman-2-role-1235148309/ 

The actress added that she “couldn’t renegotiate” her contract. Heard said she received $2 million for the role, double her payout from the first film, and that it marked the last Aquaman movie under her contract. Mera was the female lead and major component of the first Aquaman film in 2018.

(edited)

Minor spoilers for Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom...

Johnny Depp-Amber Heard Trial: Warner Bros. Executive Says Concerns Over Casting Actress In ‘Aquaman’ Sequel Had To Do With Her Chemistry With Jason Momoa
By Ted Johnson, Dominic Patten   May 24, 2022
https://deadline.com/2022/05/johnny-depp-amber-heard-defamation-trial-2-1235031369/

[President of DC Films Walter] Hamada, in deposition testimony recorded earlier this year, said that there was a delay in the studio’s option to cast Heard in the sequel because of the concerns over her chemistry with Momoa in the first movie.
There was discussion of finding someone else who had more “natural chemistry” with Momoa, but Heard ultimately was cast, Hamada said.
Hamada said that there was no consideration for paying Heard more for the sequel, but that her pay was not affected by anything said by Johnny Depp or Adam Waldman, one of his attorneys. He did say that Momoa’s pay for the Aquaman sequel was renegotiated. He also suggested that the size of Heard’s role was determined by the early development of the script in 2018.

Warner Bros. Considered Replacing Amber Heard in ‘Aquaman 2’
By Gene Maddaus    May 24, 2022
https://variety.com/2022/film/news/amber-heard-aquaman-2-replaced-warner-bros-1235276182/

Walter Hamada, the head of Warner Bros.’ DC unit, was the first witness called by Depp’s side as they begin their rebuttal of Heard’s counterclaim in court in Fairfax, Va. Appearing by video deposition, Hamada testified that the abuse allegations played no role in casting decisions in “Aquaman 2.”

However, he said the studio did delay picking up its option for several weeks as it considered whether to recast the role of Mera, who was Aquaman’s love interest in the first film.

“They didn’t have a lot of chemistry together,” Hamada said. “Editorially they were able to make that relationship work in the first movie, but there was a concern that it took a lot of effort to get there.”

Hamada said that the chemistry was created in post-production, using “movie magic,” including the film’s score. He said it is not uncommon for two leads to lack chemistry.

“You know it when you see it, and the chemistry wasn’t there,” he said.
Hamada said that “Aquaman 2” — due out next year — was conceived as a “buddy comedy” between Momoa and Patrick Wilson, who plays King Orm, Aquaman’s half-brother. Heard has alleged that her role was “pared down” considerably over time, but Hamada testified it has remained static since the film was first developed in 2018.

DC Films Chief Denies Amber Heard’s ‘Aquaman 2’ Claims
BY JAMES HIBBERD    MAY 24, 2022
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/warner-bros-amber-heard-aquaman-2-1235153070/

Asked directly if Heard’s role was ever “reduced,” Hamada said it wasn’t. The sequel, he said, was conceived “from the very early stages of development” as a “buddy comedy” between Aquaman and his half-brother, King Orm (Patrick Wilson).

All that said, Hamada noted the original Aquaman still worked, and said that test audiences rated Heard highly. He also said that filming the sequel with Heard went smoothly. Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom is set for release on March 17, 2023.

Edited by tv echo
2 hours ago, tv echo said:

The sequel, he said, was conceived “from the very early stages of development” as a “buddy comedy” between Aquaman and his half-brother, King Orm (Patrick Wilson).

So in other words, they watched Thor and Loki squabble and decided that hey, we want that! 

The real life heroics of Jason Momoa
By Olivia Pym   August 8, 2022
https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/culture/article/jason-momoa-interview-dune-3 

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom, which will be released next year, leans further into climate change allegory. Surprisingly, then, it’s also “a lot funnier” than its predecessor, Momoa says. “I have a great time with… there’s a lot of…. It’s a throwback to…” he says, buffering as his brain calculates what he’s actually allowed to reveal. “I don’t want to give too much away. But we really get to speed up what is going to happen to this earth, and it’s not because of aliens.”

The sequel features a scene in which Aquaman’s alter-ego Arthur Curry gives a grand speech to the UN warning them of the disaster looming on the horizon. Things came full circle for the actor earlier this year when he addressed the real United Nations himself. Momoa was at the UN’s Ocean Conference in June in Lisbon; his daughter Lola, 15, and son Nakoa-Wolf, 13, who he shares with his ex-wife Lisa Bonet, were both seated in the front row. At the end of the talk they were called on in the audience to answer the final question – “What do you think we can do right now to change the world?” – which they took on as though they’d been asked where the toilet was. “It made me feel extremely proud seeing them speak for themselves and take this heavy moment in,” Momoa says. “I’m not as young as I used to be. It’s scary having kids and knowing what is going to happen to our planet if we don’t change shit now.”

• Love 1

Amber Heard's Next Legal Battle May Clash With Aquaman 2 Release
By Sam Hargrave    August 15, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/aquaman-2-amber-heard-release-next-legal-battle 

According to Deadline, Aquaman actress Amber Heard will be replacing most of her legal team as she prepares her legal appeal for the multi-million-dollar defamation verdict she lost to Johnny Depp in June.
The case may be back in court in front of a judge and jury when Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom is playing in theaters from March 17, 2023. The controversy surrounding the case undoubtedly has the potential to harm the sequel's performance and Warner Bros. may well consider other release options due to this. 
Between the soon-to-be resurrected Amber Heard controversy and the ongoing situation with Ezra Miller, Warner Bros. has a tough task ahead marketing its first two DC releases of 2023. Both The Flash and Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom are bound to be swarmed with controversy for their divisive stars.

New Aquaman 2 Photos Spoil Key Scenes In the Sequel
By Richard Nebens   August 24, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/aquaman-2-spoilers-photos-scenes

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom director James Wan took to Instagram to share multiple images of concept art from the new movie, which just had its release delayed to December 25, 2023.
300975792_636067414754671_83050153410573
301254234_185110047308322_18341909663036
301032075_1161287588067335_1166564245521
301566481_5415317128531260_2029305821158
301574508_167455659202679_10713676379765
301190192_464568215548947_24674268367874
300813862_846578929593014_70779693845605
300810999_1511452275971644_7608660851061
Along with the images, Wan shared the following caption, expressing his excitement for fans to see the fully finished movie next year:

"AQUAMAN & The Lost Kingdom moving to Christmas Day 2023. I’m a bit superstitious and I love that it’s a December release like the first one! 
Here is a small glimpse of some artwork into the big, epic world-building we’re creating, and I need the time to do it right. These images barely scratch the surface of this movie (haven’t even shown the weird and wonderful characters and creatures of this world yet). I can’t wait to show, but you have to wait just a little bit longer ;)"

Ouch comment from the actor who plays Manta in the Aquaman movies...

Yahya Abdul-Mateen II Gets a Life (on Broadway)
By Hunter Harris   Aug. 31, 2022
https://www.vulture.com/2022/08/yahya-abdul-mateen-ii-topdog-underdog.html 

But how does the process for Topdog/Underdog compare to something big and loud like Aquaman? “Everything should be about getting to the truth. But sometimes you got to know which movie or genre you’re in,” Abdul-Mateen says. “Something like Aquaman, that’s clown work. Aquaman is not The Trial of the Chicago 7. You gotta get over yourself.” He puts the clown designation a different way: “In order to survive and to do it well, you have to play that game and then be crafty about when you want to surprise the audience, the director, or yourself with a little bit of ‘Wow, I didn’t expect to see a Chekhovian thing or August Wilson and Aquaman, but I did.’ ”

Edited by tv echo

He’s not wrong. Ruffalo took the Hulk role for the money, while he has continued to focus on smaller projects.

I was surprised Aquaman did as well as it did. When I left the theatre, I said it was the Flash Gordon (meaning the cheesy version with Queen’s music) of modern superhero movies. I guess a lot of people like that. 

Aquaman 2 Earns Top 5 Spot for Most Expensive DC Movie Ever
By Russ Milheim    December 19, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/aquaman-2-expensive-movie 

The top five most expensive DC Comic movies are as follows:

1. Justice League: $300 million
2. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice: $263 million
3. The Dark Knight Rises: $230 million
4. Man of Steel: $225 million
5. Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom: $205 million

Before Aquaman grabbed the fifth spot, Superman Returns had it with a budget of $204 million.

2023’s Most Anticipated Movies: ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 3’ Leads Fandango Survey
Anthony D'Alessandro   December 20, 2022 
https://deadline.com/2022/12/top-movies-2023-guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-3-fandango-1235203078/ 

Digital movie ticket retailer Fandango has unveiled the results of its 2023 Most Anticipated Movies Survey....
2023’s Most Anticipated Blockbusters:

1. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
  2. Spider-Man Across the Spider-Verse (June 2)
  3. Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (Feb. 17)
  4. John Wick: Chapter 4 (March 24)
  5. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (June 30)
  6. Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom (Dec. 25)
  7. Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One (July 14)
  8. The Hunger Games: The Ballad of the Songbirds and Snakes (Nov. 17)
  9. Creed III (March 3)
  10. The Super Mario Bros. Movie (April 7)

Most Anticipated Superhero Movies

1. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
  2. Spider-Man Across the Spider-Verse
  3. Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania
  4. The Marvels (July 28)
  5. Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom
Edited by tv echo

New footage confirms Amber Heard is in 'Aquaman 2' despite rumors she was cut out of the movie
Jason Guerrasio Apr 25, 2023,
https://www.insider.com/cinemacon-footage-confirms-amber-heard-is-in-aquaman-2-2023-4 

Heard, who played Mera, the love interest of Aquaman (Jason Momoa) in the hit 2018 original movie, is featured in two brief shots during the trailer in which she's doing battle underwater. She has no dialogue in the trailer. 

(edited)

James Wan on Finishing ‘Aquaman’ Sequel, AI Fears and Where ‘Saw’ Came From
BY BRIAN DAVIDS     JUNE 2, 2023
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/james-wan-aquaman-sequel-saw-1235503363/

You then ventured into superhero territory with 2018’s Aquaman, which, at $1.14 billion, is currently the highest-grossing DC movie of all time. How much adjusting have you had to do to December’s sequel, Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom, to fit DC’s reset by way of The Flash?
I’ve had to make adjustments all along the way. The DCU has been through lots of different versions, and one of the things that was challenging about this film was keeping track of what’s going on. Fortunately, the Aquaman universe is pretty far removed from the rest of the world. We’re going to many different underwater kingdoms that are not necessarily related to what’s happening with the other movies and characters, so we’re stand-alone in that respect. So I can just tell my story on its own without being affected too much, but at the same time, I have to be mindful of what’s been happening.

Do you have an idea of when you will finish post?
I hope to finish it up soon-ish. We have the DGA thing [contract negotiations] coming up next month, and so there’s just some stuff that we have to finish. It’s a big movie. It has a lot of visual effects and moving parts, but we’re moving in that direction, and I cannot wait for people to see it. I think people are going to be excited to see that this movie is quite different from the first movie in terms of tone. It’s a little bit more serious, and we’re dealing with issues like climate change. We’re not afraid to lean into that in a big way, because the Aquaman comic book, even way back when, has always been environmentally conscious. He’s always been someone who’s fought to keep the ocean clean, and it feels more relevant in the world that we’re living in today. So this movie has something to talk about, but it’s still a fun action-fantasy movie.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Taormina: Amber Heard Has Got Some Things To Say As Her Film ‘In The Fire’ Premieres In Sicily
Mike Fleming Jr    June 26, 2023
https://deadline.com/2023/06/amber-heard-in-the-fire-taormina-interview-1235424684/amp/ 

DEADLINE: You’ve got this coming out in theaters in October, and you’ve got Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom coming in December. DC’s been through some adversity with The Flash not overwhelming, Black Adam either. The first Aquaman was the brightest spot in the DC canon excepting Batman. Is this a movie you’re excited about?

HEARD: Oh, of course. These are very different kinds of projects representing two very different ends of the spectrum in my industry. There’s a ton of pressure on these big franchise movies, with millions and millions of dollars at stake, and compromises are part of trying to make it the most successful thing it can be. Then on the other end of the spectrum is a small indie film like In The Fire, a work of art and work of love, with nowhere near the same resources, and so there are compromises there. The best luck you can have as an actor is to be able to balance both. Aquaman, that franchise and the machinery behind it, I’m very honored, honored to be a part of that. And then there are these small passion projects like In The Fire, where I’m proud to have gotten to know the filmmaker and the cast, and we got dirty together, to breathe life into this story. There’s something cool about that, and I think success is an actor who is able to have both those things.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Aquaman 2 Director James Wan Explains Why DC Fans Should See the Film: "We're Taking It to the Next Level" (Exclusive)
By KOFI OUTLAW - June 28, 2023 
https://comicbook.com/dc/news/aquaman-2-james-wan-why-dc-fans-should-see-movie-not-dcu/

Well, ComicBook.com's Chris Killian got to sit down with Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom director James Wan, and ask the question that so many fans are wondering about: what's the reason for seeing Aquaman 2? Does it even matter to the larger DC movie franchise? 

"Well, Aquaman – even the first film – has always been a very standalone film. That was always our approach: that it kind of lives in its own world, and that's kind of how we've approached The Lost Kingdom as well," Wan explained. "You know, people love Jason Momoa; people love him playing this role; and people love the action visuals of this space and this world. And that's what we're doing: we're taking it to the next level and we are still expanding – and just any fans of Aquaman the character, that love Black Manta, this is the next level and I'm very excited to finally put out there to show them what we've been working on all these years."

Edited by tv echo

‘Dune 2’ Eyes Push to 2024; Warner Bros. Considers New Dates for ‘Color Purple,’ ‘Aquaman 2’ (EXCLUSIVE)
By Matt Donnelly    July 20, 2023
https://variety.com/2023/film/news/dune-2-release-date-change-2024-warner-bros-strike-1235676007/ 

Additionally, Warner Bros. is assessing potential new dates for the anticipated movie musical “The Color Purple,” which counts Oprah Winfrey as a producer, as well as the DC Studios sequel “Aquaman and The Lost Kingdom,” sources said. The possible date shuffling comes as the result of striking unions SAG-AFTRA and the Writers Guild of America, at war with show business producers for new contracts.
That Warners could be looking ahead indicates that the studio is not confident either guild strike will be resolved by the mid-fall. “The Color Purple” and the “Aquaman” sequel are presently dated for Dec. 20 and Dec. 25, respectively. A title like “Color Purple,” one industry player noted, would hinge on a robust awards campaign. Campaigns for the Academy Awards and the Golden Globes could be hampered by a prolonged strike.

(edited)

DC Reveals First Look at Aquaman 2 Prequel Story (Photos)
By Klein Felt  July 24, 2023
https://thedirect.com/article/aquaman-2-prequel-story-dc-photos 

In anticipation of Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom's theatrical release, DC Comics revealed a first look at a prequel to the film. 
DC unveiled details on Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom #1, along with a trio of stunning variant covers for the upcoming tie-in comic. 
The newly announced one-off book will track "the shocking events that connect the smash-hit Aquaman movie" and "the eagerly anticipated Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom:"

"Discover the shocking events that connect the smash-hit Aquaman movie to the eagerly anticipated 'Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom!' Aquaman balances his duties as king and as a member of the Justice League, all while planning a wedding! Black Manta is on the hunt for Atlantean tech to help rebuild his armor! Orm plots to escape his Atlantean prison! Three action-packed tales crammed into a single special!"
The prequel comic was written by Tim Seeley, Joey Esposito, and Ethan Sacks, and will store shelves on October 31. 

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Aquaman 2 update in this article...

‘Blue Beetle’ Director Ángel Manuel Soto Talks Latino Resilience and Creating ‘Cronenberg for Kids’
By Clayton Davis  August 4, 2023
https://variety.com/2023/film/features/blue-beetle-director-angel-manuel-soto-latinos-hollywood-strike-1235685134/ 

... With Warner Bros. reportedly discussing some shuffling of its 2023 projects including “The Color Purple,” “Dune: Part Two” and another DC Studios sequel “Aquaman and The Lost Kingdom,” Warner Bros. insiders tell Variety the Jason Momoa film is expected to hold its Dec. 20 release date.

Edited by tv echo
10 hours ago, Trini said:

Still odd that there's no trailer yet.

It really is. Not to sound all conspiratorial, but I wonder if WB is trying to sink this. There were 2 DC movies this summer, there should have been a trailer for DC's next movie coming out in a few months before them. Even I, who is not in marketing, know that's a no-brainier. The fact that they aren't even marketing the film to people seeing DC films in theaters speaks volumes, IMO.

• Like 2

I don't think they're trying to sink it (on purpose), but maybe they just don't care about it as much?? I mean, I get (but don't agree with) them not caring about Blue Beetle, but the first Aquaman made a billion, so they should definitely be trying to hype this, outside of whatever else is going on with DC films. Or is post-production really taking that long? This was supposed to come out last year.

• Useful 1
32 minutes ago, Trini said:

Or is post-production really taking that long? This was supposed to come out last year.

That’s true! I forgot about that. That combined with no trailers yet really speaks to some kind of drama going on behind the scenes of this film.