Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E22: The Ultimate Price

• Start Topic

In the season finale, Keith risks pushing through jagged ice in search of the Wizard's lost pots. Attempting a risky harbor entry, Wild Bill overturns the Summer Bay and a beloved crewman makes the ultimate sacrifice on the deck of a veteran crab boat.

Fucking Josh.    The hook goes swinging and almost hits someone in the head.   He mugs at the camera practically laughing "Oh wow, that could have been bad."   He can't even ACT worried.   I know all he was thinking was "if someone is killed on my boat, I will get soooooooooo much attention."  

Hubby was home for the last hour.   As the Summer Bay is bailing from the harbor he said "He is not turning that big old boat broadside to those waves."    Apparently he was.   Seriously.   I get he couldn't get in the harbor but the way those waves were rolling in, you did give them a larger target.   That was such a bad situation, even the producer was all, we need to get out of here Bill.   

• Love 3
3 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Fucking Josh.    The hook goes swinging and almost hits someone in the head.   He mugs at the camera practically laughing "Oh wow, that could have been bad."   He can't even ACT worried.   I know all he was thinking was "if someone is killed on my boat, I will get soooooooooo much attention."  

I could not BELIEVE it when he turned to the camera and said, "That could have gone south REAL fast" and then LAUGHED.

I'm sure that yahoo must have some redeeming qualities, but they sure don't show them on DC.  

Too sad about Todd.  I wouldn't be surprised if Landon looks for a different line of work after what he's seen this past year:  Nick's death from drugs, Todd's accidental death on another boat, and Bill almost flipping the Summer Bay over.

• Love 2

I'd love to know if Disco gave Wild Bill heck for endangering their film crew.  For all the BS the Hillstrands have done through the years, trying to enter St. Paul in those conditions took the proverbial cake.  I am  a fan of Bill, but he was irresponsible in this one.

The edits and ep structures this season were way off.  We went back and forth, especially between eps, from feast to famine.  The customary Disco shenanigans with the ice floes didn't help.  Then we get the fishery being all but doomed, then nothing, then at the very end, more talk about saving the industry.  

I really liked the Sig/Jake A. dynamic in this one.  We haven't had very much interaction between them in recent seasons.  We got Jake's basic mistrust butting straight up against his desperation, with a twist of past favors now owed a return from Jake.   He really shafted Sig with his sets right over Sig's string.  Now, why the heck didn't we get the footage of Jake pulling this stunt?  The V/O has to be fascinating as he screwed over his mentor.  We got nothing.  Booooooo.

It was also disappointing that we got no 411 as to what the crews made.  It was a record season for these F/Vs.  The various losses and extraordinary expenses should also have been quantified.  Did Sig not make an above average profit?  He sure moaned through most of this season that he was losing cash.  I bet he ended up with more profit despite his difficulties.

It may be ghoulish, but why no expanded footage of the attempted rescue of Todd?   How did the Coastie crew react?  When was it known that Todd had not survived?  All that stuff would have had a huge impact on viewers.  Perhaps this would have resulted in support for Todd's family.  If nothing else, it would have vividly brought home the outsized dangers each and every fisherman faces.  May God bless them all.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

It may be ghoulish, but why no expanded footage of the attempted rescue of Todd?   How did the Coastie crew react?  When was it known that Todd had not survived?  All that stuff would have had a huge impact on viewers.  Perhaps this would have resulted in support for Todd's family.  If nothing else, it would have vividly brought home the outsized dangers each and every fisherman faces.  May God bless them all.

Family probably wouldn't sign the release.   I did some googling and the cause of death isn't even out there.   I know Landon said "crushed by a crab pot" on the show but nothing is officially out there.   Wonder if there is a lawsuit going on?

• Love 1

The last few seasons were badly put together, but this year was just horrible. I also miss the specials like The Bait and After the Catch. They were always a bit of fun. Disco is milking this cash cow for all its worth. Honestly, if I never see Josh Harris or a picture of Saint Phil on the CM again it will be too soon. Casey's OK, but Harris is a waste of space that Disco is forcing down our throats.

• Love 5

I think some of the camera work this season has been outstanding.  Have to agree that it is time to let Phil Harris rest in peace.  How many years has he been gone now?  Hope that The Bait will come back next season too.  It is enjoyable watching the captains and crew talking about life on the Bering sea.  Anyone watch this week's episode "Succession"?  Didn't see a thread for it.  More fireworks between Jake and Sig!  I too am curious what the crew members made ($) for their work.  Hope they cleaned up.  Am tired.  That's all I've got for now.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Aunt Catfish said:

Have to agree that it is time to let Phil Harris rest in peace.  How many years has he been gone now?

It's been over 11 years since Phil Harris <cue angelic music and loving photo> died. Long past time for Disco to let go.

But I guess when all you have left is his pathetic progeny to carry on the bloodline (Hey!! there's a spinoff idea in there somewhere!!!) you keep milking it in Every. Friggin'. Episode.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, dsteele said:

But I guess when all you have left is his pathetic progeny to carry on the bloodline

Who can't actually DO anything noteworthy on their own, you gotta do what you gotta do.

IF Josh had grown into  a real fisherman and he was shown learning and getting better that would have made a good storyline.   But all they got is him sitting on his ass in a chair in the wheelhouse.   

• Love 5