Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E05: Episode 5

paulvdb
  • Start Topic

Ola is a lot more dense than I thought if she doesn't believe in aliens. The universe is so big, there is certain to be intelligent life out there. The question is if there is other intelligent life in our galaxy and if aliens have been visting us. But that is not what they were talking about. It was if aliens existed at all.

And there is only a question about other intelligent life in the galaxy because of a few uncertainties. For one, the universe and the galaxy are still really young. We might just be the first ones. Or civilisations destroy themselves after a very short time. Otherwise we should really see signs of the aliens. Unless we are getting prime-directived, of course.

That aliens have visited us is very unlikely, but not because they don't exist, but because the universe is really big and faster than light travel is not possible (though there might be a way around the light speed barrier, if not through it).

Last season a lot of posters here were very critical about Rahim not taking Eric's religious believes seriously. I wonder how people will see this in comparison.

Let's see how that Maeve and Otis thing goes. I doubt anything big will happen until the finale. I just hope they don't drag it into next season.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I didn't care for the mushrooms and tripping part of the story.  Or the shit. The bus must've gone like the clappers for that sock to hit the windscreen like that. Nice of Adam to take the hit, the relationship between him and Rahim is quite difficult for both. I do wonder whether they will hook up at some point.

I did love the backlit scene of Otis and Maeve finally having their big heart to heart. I almost fell in love with Otis a bit myself there.

• Love 2

I think Ola went about expressing herself in a way that Lily legitimately found hurtful, but it's not unreasonable for Ola to also be able to express what she wants. Lily has a tendency to ignore Ola's needs, not only wrt their sex life, but even in conversation. When Ola was trying to talk about her family stress, Lily cut her off and went back to talking about her alien story. so I get why Ola was finding the situation one sided and irritating. 

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 10

Why would they shoot an actor as expressive as Emma Mackey in such poor light, when she hears Otis confess his love? Why would they have their first kiss be in the dark and away from what little light the location had? What a bizarre decision. Then again, it's not the first crazy decision the writing and production staff have made for this season.

• Love 2
On 9/17/2021 at 8:53 PM, Zonk said:

Ola is a lot more dense than I thought if she doesn't believe in aliens. The universe is so big, there is certain to be intelligent life out there. The question is if there is other intelligent life in our galaxy and if aliens have been visting us. But that is not what they were talking about. It was if aliens existed at all.

And there is only a question about other intelligent life in the galaxy because of a few uncertainties. For one, the universe and the galaxy are still really young. We might just be the first ones. Or civilisations destroy themselves after a very short time. Otherwise we should really see signs of the aliens. Unless we are getting prime-directived, of course.

That aliens have visited us is very unlikely, but not because they don't exist, but because the universe is really big and faster than light travel is not possible (though there might be a way around the light speed barrier, if not through it).

Last season a lot of posters here were very critical about Rahim not taking Eric's religious believes seriously. I wonder how people will see this in comparison.

I think it's quite different if one believes that there can be other intelligent life forms in the universe, or if one believes that they are like Lily had imagined in her drawings and stories.

Also, if the relationship is honest, one can't keep own beliefs secret. But it's different to say "I don't believe in.." (whatever) than to judge or ridicule the other's beliefs. It's another matter if those beliefs lead behavior that causes harm, but then one must rather criticize the behavior.

• Love 2

This season showed some severe cracks opening between the two girls. I've been wondering what will happen to Lilly and Ola once Lilly and her vagina are ready to ... you know ... Not that this means they will break up, but they've both been so curious about sex that I wonder whether the writers (you can never be sure with that lot) will it move towards a strap-on scenario or a thruple or split them up because their desire for boy on girl sex is bigger than the feelings the have for each other.

Edited by Aulty

I thought Lily got over her vaginismus a long time ago. I don't really understand why you think that non-penetrative sex is a 2nd class substitute or that we know whether or not Ola and Lily are not having penetrative sex already, though, either way.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I thought Lily got over her vaginismus a long time ago. I don't really understand why you think that non-penetrative sex is a 2nd class substitute or that we know whether or not Ola and Lily are not having penetrative sex already, though, either way.

I really didn't want to give the impression that I think of non-penetrative sex as something sub-par or unfullfilling. Both characters, at some point, were really keen on sleeping with a guy that I wonder if the curiosity will push them towards it - either as something they can do together (maybe they already do?) or with someone else. Also with it playing such a big part in Lily's art.
Not sure if Lily is already over her vaginismus, all we got on that front was that she managed to get the 2nd largest dummy in in the season 2 finale.

6 hours ago, Roseanna said:

I think it's quite different if one believes that there can be other intelligent life forms in the universe, or if one believes that they are like Lily had imagined in her drawings and stories.

First of all, Ola didn't say she didn't believe in the specific Aliens in Lily's stories or that Aliens had visited earth, she said she didn't believe in Aliens existing at all and that is just stupid. Second of all, the universe is near infinite. Somewhere out there, there probably are Alien's like in Lily's stories. They weren't that exotic. That's just a matter of probability. Near infinite worlds, near infinite outcomes.

7 hours ago, Roseanna said:

Also, if the relationship is honest, one can't keep own beliefs secret. But it's different to say "I don't believe in.." (whatever) than to judge or ridicule the other's beliefs.

Nah, if your believes are stupid like "I don't believe there is any alien life in the entire universe", you should be called out for that. That's like saying "I blieve the earth is flat".

10 hours ago, Zonk said:

Nah, if your believes are stupid like "I don't believe there is any alien life in the entire universe", you should be called out for that. That's like saying "I blieve the earth is flat".

I don't think that these two things are similar at all. It's a scientific fact that can be proved that the earth is not flat.  Instead we can't know if there is other forms of intelligent life in the entire universe. (I think that "alien" is a negative word.)

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 9/18/2021 at 7:39 AM, possibilities said:

I think Ola went about expressing herself in a way that Lily legitimately found hurtful, but it's not unreasonable for Ola to also be able to express what she wants. Lily has a tendency to ignore Ola's needs, not only wrt their sex life, but even in conversation. When Ola was trying to talk about her family stress, Lily cut her off and went back to talking about her alien story. so I get why Ola was finding the situation one sided and irritating. 

I agree. It was evident that Lily was hurt by Ola's words and I can sympathize with her. However, I don't think that the crux of the matter was the question if there are aliens in the universe or if Lily's stories and drawings describe them accurately but that Lily wanted to have sex only as if she and Ola were aliens, that is inside her fantasy world, whereas Ola, while playing aliens was sometimes okay, wanted to have sex also "in the ordinary world", that is, as real persons of Ola and Lily.

Spoiler

I think this interpretation is supported by Lily's confession that she had fled the feeling of being an outsider. And as she was told, "creating her own world" is what artists do.

• Love 1
On 9/17/2021 at 9:39 PM, possibilities said:

Lily has a tendency to ignore Ola's needs, not only wrt their sex life, but even in conversation. When Ola was trying to talk about her family stress, Lily cut her off and went back to talking about her alien story. so I get why Ola was finding the situation one sided and irritating. 

I was so thoroughly Team Ola.  She's trying to talk about this giant upheaval in her home life and how that's making her mourn her dead mother anew, and Lily is on about aliens!  Because Lily is always on about aliens.  She's obsessed.  She doesn't fit into the real world, so she marinates in her imaginary one.  Fine, you do you.  But pouting because your girlfriend would like to sometimes have sex as the two of you, not as a couple of space aliens, is ridiculous. 

I'm glad they addressed this, because in the opening sex montage of the season premiere, when Ola and Lily were again going at it in costume, I asked aloud if they ever have sex without them. 

• Love 1

I forgot to highlight my favorite part of this episode: When the one teacher proposed to the other (I'm too lazy to look up their names) and she said, "Of course not, we have been dating less than a year."

• Love 1

I realize they're teens and maybe it's because I'm in the middle of Band of Brothers, but I'd have liked to have seen the kids show a smidge more respect at the cemetery/battlefield. Kyle was the only one who "got it", and that was probably due to the mushrooms.

Regarding aliens, it's highly unlikely that the human race is the only one in existence. No less than Stephen Hawking said something to the effect that they're probably out there and that we're likely better off not engaging with them, using Columbus and the indigenous people as his rationale.

Didn't realize until recently that Hope was Jessa from Girls. It seems like she's trying to do the right thing by the school and I'm glad TPTB aren't painting her as a villain.