Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Universe: Before The Show

formerlyfreedom
  • Start Topic

I don't agree that you need to (or even SHOULD) read Fraction's take on Hawkeye. The Hawkeye in Marvel comics and the Hawkeye in the Marvel Movie Universe are two distinctly different people in different situations, connected by a bow and arrow. While Disney's Hawkeye miniseries might have some of Fraction's tone, it is not likely to be that similar to the comic. Better, I think, to go in without that background.

Did I like Fraction's comics? Sort of. I thought, as a stand-alone, they were fun and pretty good. But I didn't care for the remaking of the character in to a twenty-something disaster magnet which seems to be the Marvel comic's new version. Of course, it is better than Bendis' or Chuck Austen's version of the character, I'll give it that.

• Love 3

I tried to read the Fraction run a while ago because I'd heard so much about it and how good it was, but I just could not get into it. I'm happy to let the idea of that Hawkeye & Kate be in my mind while having no "canon" knowledge of them going into the TV series.

• Love 3
On 10/14/2021 at 6:58 PM, Abra said:

I tried to read the Fraction run a while ago because I'd heard so much about it and how good it was, but I just could not get into it. I'm happy to let the idea of that Hawkeye & Kate be in my mind while having no "canon" knowledge of them going into the TV series.

That's probably the best approaching.  These character have been around for a while and gone through some pretty convoluted stuff in the comic.  Hawkeye was a super-villain.  Hawkeye led a group of super-villains trying to reform.  Hawkeye was turned into a golem made from arrows.  At least two of those statements above are true to my knowledge.  Possibly all three.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 10/16/2021 at 1:19 PM, johntfs said:

That's probably the best approaching.  These character have been around for a while and gone through some pretty convoluted stuff in the comic.  Hawkeye was a super-villain.  Hawkeye led a group of super-villains trying to reform.  Hawkeye was turned into a golem made from arrows.  At least two of those statements above are true to my knowledge.  Possibly all three.

Don't forget a couple of my favourites, comics Hawkeye lead his own Avengers team and he also stopped being Hawkeye and became Goliath for awhile using Pym Particles.

• Love 1

I'm going back over those first few stories Fraction and company told and the show borrows and refactors so much, esp from the first three issues. Kate and Clint, of course, but also the tracksuit mafia, the trick arrows, a car chase, the trick arrows not being labelled during the car chase, the coin trick, a 1970s Dodge Challenger, Lucky the pizza dog, shooting an arrow between two bound hands to cut the rope, Clint in a tux (the show hasn't gotten to it yet as of ep 4, but it's in the trailer for the show), a guy named Grills (who in the comic looked more like Steve Agee)

The next two detour into a big specific adventure that one could argue broadly inspired the Rolex hunt but that's a stretch IMO.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, arc said:

I'm going back over those first few stories Fraction and company told and the show borrows and refactors so much, esp from the first three issues. Kate and Clint, of course, but also the tracksuit mafia, the trick arrows, a car chase, the trick arrows not being labelled during the car chase, the coin trick, a 1970s Dodge Challenger, Lucky the pizza dog, shooting an arrow between two bound hands to cut the rope, Clint in a tux (the show hasn't gotten to it yet as of ep 4, but it's in the trailer for the show), a guy named Grills (who in the comic looked more like Steve Agee)

The next two detour into a big specific adventure that one could argue broadly inspired the Rolex hunt but that's a stretch IMO.

Wasn't Clint wearing a tux at the musical?

On 12/11/2021 at 7:14 AM, johntfs said:

Wasn't Clint wearing a tux at the musical?

No. 

On 12/11/2021 at 10:20 AM, arc said:

Maybe! But the trailer shows a closer parallel, where Clint is both in a tux and fleeing gunfire.

There’s also a shot of him jumping out of a window in what looks to be the tux without the bow tie or jacket.