Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E16: Other Side of the Tracks (Cambridge, Ohio)

This week has even less to go on than last week's case. Lee Savage is the likely killer, but there questions that just leave enough doubt so the case is tough to go any further. And I bet if this case goes to trial someday that Lee's attorney will try to blame his Dad.

• Love 2

That was my thought too. There is just enough reasonable doubt unless they can rule out Lee's father. It doesn't matter that he wasn't the baby's father, he is still the grandfather and was still VERY vocal about not wanting that baby to be Lee's. I do think that Lee did it, but with the evidence they have, I couldn't say I am certain enough to send him to prison for it. I am kind of surprised Kelly would have prosecuted this case with what they have right now.

I think they could get a guilty conviction on Leslie because she probably would not have lied (said she was going to the girlfriends to do math) to run off to be with his father. I didn't believe the rumor that she had been sleeping with the father because they said she was very honest in her journal and she would have written about it. I wonder what else the DA wanted to see before moving forward. The fact they had an ex to testify that he said "you're lucky you didn't end up like her" made the case pretty strong for me.

Big props to the detectives for not popping Leslie in the jaw when faced with the DNA evidence. His "I only put it in her butt" defense was gross and so clearly untrue that when he kept pushing it, I wondered if he understood how babies are made. I felt bad for a millisecond when we met his dad because clearly he abused Leslie from an early age but it's no excuse, just an explanation. 

The fact that Leslie and his dad went around calling others trash was shocking. The name Savage pretty much described them both to a T. I would have Lysoled the seat after Leslie got out of the car. How this guy gets laid at all much less married multiple times is beyond me.

Edited by Soobs
  • Love 3

The "she slept with the father too" bit was interesting. Did that girl just make that up? If so why? if not, where did a rumor like that get started? Did the dad try to do something with the victim? It was very interesting, seeing something so unfounded, in a real life case, as opposed to at TV crime story where that's the big ah ha moment that sends the case in a different direction. In real life, though, sometimes a rumor is just a rumor that leads no where but muddies up the works.

I forgot about the diary and I'm surprised they didn't bring that up when they heard the dad rumor. They probably didn't because they are, after all, making a television show and a twist like that is entertaining I guess.

• Love 2

The "she slept with the father too" bit was interesting. Did that girl just make that up? If so why? if not, where did a rumor like that get started?

I think, as the witness said, Lee thought they were sleeping together. For Lee, he may have thought it to be true because he is a crazy control freak. I can't help but wonder if that crazy thought is what drove Lee to kill her. Actually, I can see the crazy dad telling Lee that to provoke him into killing her.

• Love 2

I think, as the witness said, Lee thought they were sleeping together. For Lee, he may have thought it to be true because he is a crazy control freak. I can't help but wonder if that crazy thought is what drove Lee to kill her. Actually, I can see the crazy dad telling Lee that to provoke him into killing her.

I agree on all the above as possible actions by the father.

It could be Lee that killed her because either:

1. It appears he was often violent during sex and choked, etc (per his other exes) and it went too far and she died.
  2. He intentionally killed her because he did not want a/the baby
  3. He was angry that she had slept with his dad (who he obviously had a very bad relationship with). I concur with the above statements that it could have been either the rumors or the dad who provoked him.

It could have been the dad because:

1. He seems to have really hated her (and still does) and not have her 'ruining' his family. Which is ironic because.....
  2. He and his family are vile human beings. What a horrible family.
Edited by LunaNegra
  • Love 2

I would totally watch a spinoff show based around Detectives Mackie and Williams. They had really funny banter, and they seemed bright and good at their jobs. Thought they were doing some Emmy-worthy acting when they were questioning Lee.

It doesn't seem as if it would have taken that much to crack this case back in 1991.  Every week I am surprised at the lack of motivation in these small towns to close the cases before they get cold.  Makes me wonder about competence within the police forces and the power of the locals who are actually guilty.  As we get older, hubby and I think more and more about moving to a smaller town but this show makes me rethink my choices!

It doesn't seem as if it would have taken that much to crack this case back in 1991. Every week I am surprised at the lack of motivation in these small towns to close the cases before they get cold. Makes me wonder about competence within the police forces and the power of the locals who are actually guilty. As we get older, hubby and I think more and more about moving to a smaller town but this show makes me rethink my choices!

Interesting. I tend to agree. I find this show compelling and interesting in a true crime sort of way, but with the exception of bringing access to modern forensic technologies that some of the smaller PDs probably can't afford, I sometimes find myself thinking "Didn't they cover all of this territory in the original investigation? If not, why? They're not uncovering any new evidence now that they didn't have then." I would love to have a real behind-the-scenes view of what involving the show brings to these cold case investigations. Sure, reinterviewing the old witnesses often teases out new tidbits of information or contradictions, but that probably would have happened with or without the show's involvement.

I'm not talking about the cases where the remains were not discovered until years later, and I'm not talking about the investigations where witnesses were, for example, uncooperative at the time. That's classic cold case stuff and circumstances and witnesses' willingness to cooperate often change over time. But it does seem that with a number of the cases that they cover on the show, the only really new elements are the prosecutors and the way the old evidence is packaged and presented. I suppose in some cases the show simply brings additional free manpower to resource strapped PDs, but in some cases it seems like the show is really just at most a marketing consultant or a documentarian. It doesn't bring anything to the investigation that the local cold case investigators were not perfectly capable of doing on their own.

Would love to be a fly on the wall during conversations within the PDs about the real reasons they are willing to bring the show in on a particular case, and would love to be a fly on the wall during production to see what the show really brings to the investigations.

• Love 4

It doesn't seem as if it would have taken that much to crack this case back in 1991.  Every week I am surprised at the lack of motivation in these small towns to close the cases before they get cold.  Makes me wonder about competence within the police forces and the power of the locals who are actually guilty.  As we get older, hubby and I think more and more about moving to a smaller town but this show makes me rethink my choices!

This. Mrs. Torqy and I would not live in a town as small as most of the ones seen on this show. One factor that can enter into these cases is that everyone is (seemingly) related in some of these small towns, and local PD may be influenced to go easy on some prominent citizen's kinfolk, at least until the then-current sheriff or police chief is replaced years later.

Shallow stuff: Anyone else think that Detective (Cantrememberhisnamenow) looked a lot like Arnold Vosloo?

• Love 1