Type keyword(s) to search

Charlie's Angels - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Season 2 - Episode 12 - The Sammy Davis Jr. Kidnap Caper - 12/07/77

Synopsis: The Angels and Bosley act as bodyguards for Sammy Davis Jr. when he becomes a target for kidnappers. They have to think fast when the kidnappers snatch Davis Jr.'s lookalike, Herbert Brubaker III.

This episode is nearly impossible to rate as enjoyment of it depends entirely on how much Sammy Davis Jr. you can take. Not only does he play himself but he plays his lookalike, Herbert Brubaker, as well. I like Davis Jr. well enough in this episode but Herbert Brubaker makes this episode unendurable for me.

The only enjoyable feature of this episode for this viewer is the parade of familiar faces in supporting roles. Norman Alden may not be a familiar name but his face sure is familiar to anyone who watched 70s television. A pre-CHiPS Robert Pine is on hand as Sammy Davis Jr.'s accountant. Finally, a pre-Cagney&Lacey and pre-Karate Kid Martin Kove plays one of the henchmen.

Grade: No grade

Season 2 - Episode 13 - Angels on Horseback - 12/21/77

Synopsis: The Angels and Bosley travel to a dude ranch to investigate the murder of a guest travelling to the ranch. The guest died on the courtesy bus taking him to the ranch but none of the other passengers on the bus claim to have seen anything.

The good:

This is a nifty little thriller with a good mystery at its heart: What happened on the van that no one claims to have seen? Everyone on the bus is a suspect and, as with Circus of Terror and Angel in Love earlier in the season, this episode takes its time revealing all of the suspects' motives and actions. What adds to the success of this episode is that there's a nice twist after the 30 minute mark which changes up everything.

The bad:

Over the course of five seasons, the Townsend Detective Agency confronted one opponent it could not defeat (or at least battle to a draw): the repetition of recycled plots. Angels on Horseback is very similar to Angel in Love from setting (a bucolic ranch) to finale (Kelly and Kris having to chase the villains utilizing horses). A season-and-a-half into the series and the creative team were already recycling ideas. In part, this would contribute to Kate Jackson's frustration with the series and, in Season 4, would lead to certain attempts (not always successful) to change up the formula.

Interesting appearances:

James Sikking, who would go on to great success in the 80s on Hill Street Blues, appears here as one of the suspects. The very distinctive and memorable character actor Woodrow Parfrey appears as the local sheriff.

Grade: B+

Edited by Jan Spears

Season 2 - Episode 14 - Game, Set, Death - 01/04/78

Synopsis: The Angels and Bosley investigate who is trying to sabotage a women's professional tennis tournament. Kris joins the tournament as a player, Sabrina poses as a sportswear designer and Kelly pretends to be a model.

The good:

Like Angels on Horseback before it, Game, Set, Death is a good meat&potatoes episode of Charlie's Angels. There are some nice set pieces, including Sabrina and Kelly chasing after a sniper on foot, Kris duking it out with the sniper in the women's locker room (!) and all three Angels chasing after the lead criminal in Kris' Ford Mustang Cobra. Any episode where Sabrina is interacting with all of the other members of the team is a good one and so it proves here.

The bad:

The actual "mystery" is solvable in about five minutes. In addition, there's a lot of late-70s feminism content in this episode (i.e. how women playing sports are viewed) which is interesting from an historical perspective but doesn't exactly make for scintillating television 38 years later. Finally, the set design in this episode really looks cheap at points - even by 70s standards.

Grade: B+ (Knocked down to a B because of the cheap look of the episode.)

Season 2 - Episode 15 - Hours of Desperation - 01/11/78

Synopsis: When one member of a trio of jewel thieves betrays the others and runs off with the take from the heist, the other two invade the Townsend Detective Agency office and hold Sabrina and Bosley hostage. The crooks force Sabrina to wear an explosive belt as a means of blackmailing Kelly and Kris into finding their former partner and the jewels.

The good:

By and large, Season 2 of Charlie's Angels was much lighter in tone than Season 1. There was a bigger emphasis on humor and most stories were geared toward the light touch. This was not the case for this episode, which sees Kelly and Kris trying to find the betraying crook before Sabrina gets blown up. The intensity of this episode harkens back to the more serious Season 1 and is a welcome change of pace from all the broad humor that immediately preceded it.

What really adds to the suspense is the performance of the great character actor Stanley Kamel as the psychotic villain threatening to blow up Sabrina. His performance here is somewhat reminiscent of the actor Frank Gorshin's portrayal of The Riddler on the 1960s Batman TV show as he alternates between calm and mania with frightening ease. For once, it's nice to see a villain on Charlie's Angels who actually comes across as a match for the Angels.

The bad:

I've got nothing.

Side note: Kris' "biker chick" outfit from Angels on the Air makes its reappearance in this episode.

Interesting appearances:

In addition to Kamel, this episode also features Paul Sorenson, who would go on to play the recurring role of Andy Bradley on Dallas in the 1980s. Taurean Blacque, of Hill St. Blues fame, has a small part as a doctor.

Grade: A

I remember that episode. When Sabrina manages to get away from her captors, she jumps in a pond in order to disable the belt. She has to swing from a tree branch to do it and lets out a little yelp as she flies into the water. It was probably perfectly natural; I recently read that Kate Jackson liked to do her own stunts on the show, so that little yelp was probably all her! 

• Love 1

I haven't watched this show in eons, so I'd forgotten the late, great Stanley Kamel played a villain at some point.  He also played a killer in an episode of Scarecrow & Mrs. King (in which, of course, Kate Jackson played the latter of the titular characters).

Here is an interview with Cheryl Ladd, from around the time the movies were released. Some of it we already know, like the cool reception she recieved from Kate Jackson, but there are some other interesting tidbits, like how welcoming David Doyle was, what it was like working with Farrah when she returned for her guest episodes, etc.

Sabrina and Kelly are a close tie with me, with Sabrina just edging  Kelly out. Only because Sabrina is the only one that I can recall, who never screamed like a bad B-List actress. So, okay, make that Sabrina is my No. 1, with Kelly as my No. 2.

I think Bastet mentioned it somewhere, I think in the Scarecrow & Mrs. King thread, that it was because of either new laws, or maybe the network, that determined that Kate couldn't do her own stunts? Or that it was the different productions--where Kate was filming one place, while second unit was filming another, which is why my eyes had to suffer the WORST kind of stuntMEN filling in for Kate.  When I knew, knew! from this show, she did most of her own.

And unlike others (no one here-just other places where I've read), if Kate resented Cheryl coming on board (which, why? Farrah left on her own/by her choice), I never saw it in her performance.  Though the chemistry was the best with the original three, I thought the chemistry was also good with Cheryl and the others.

• Love 1

Here is an interview with Cheryl Ladd, from around the time the movies were released. Some of it we already know, like the cool reception she recieved from Kate Jackson, but there are some other interesting tidbits, like how welcoming David Doyle was, what it was like working with Farrah when she returned for her guest episodes, etc.

Can't watch it right now, but I remember Cheryl saying this in another interview.  Either True Hollywood Story, or some special.  Like I said int he episode thread, that I saw nothing in Kate's performance that told me that she wasn't that keen with Cheryl joining the cast.

It would be a tie for me, if not for the fact that a couple of times, Kelly let herself be overwhelmed and acted like freakin' victim, instead of karate chopping her way out.  Like how that killer, Victor, in the episode where they went undercover at the All Girls School? Kelly was the English teacher, and Sabrina, the Art teacher? Kris the student? Kelly could easily have gotten away from that asshole, but nooo, she had to whimper and look weak. I hated that.

Season 2 - Episode 16 - Diamond in the Rough - 01/18/78

Synopsis: The Angels and Bosley travel to a Caribbean country to help ex-jewel thief, Freddie the Fox, retrieve a priceless jewel from its unlawful owner, Salim. Freddie and Sabrina pose as a wealthy English couple, Bosley pretends to be their English valet, Kelly acts as the secretary to Freddie and Sabrina, and Kris ingratiates herself with Salim's good-looking son (of course!)

The good:

Hard on the heels of the offbeat and intense Hours of Desperation comes this offbeat but fun episode. Here, the plot owes much more to Mission:Impossible than it does to the standard Charlie's Angels formula. The change is a welcome one as there all kinds of entertaining things going on: Sabrina has an hysterical fake fainting spell, Kelly gets to do one of her sexy dances with Salim's chief henchman and Bosley hilarious pretending to be the valet.

Best of all, though, is the set piece where Sabrina, Kris and Bosley have to steal back the diamond. The diamond is housed in a room with a secured door and barred windows, and a floor that sets off an alarm at the slightest footfall. To top it off, the diamond rests in a case that also serves as a home to a green mamba. One of my all-time favorite memories of this is show is of Kris suspended over the floor on a wire and managing to swipe the diamond without getting bit by the snake.

Bonus: Kelly uses a submachine gun. Tough as nails Kelly is always the best Kelly.

The bad:

Sabrina and Bosley's accents are atrocious but they are atrocious in a funny way. As a kid, I was impressed with Salim's "Caribbean estate". As an adult, I realize they were filming in Beverly Hills!

Interesting appearances:

This episode is like a 'Who's Who' of 70s character actors, with Dan O'Herlihy, Bert Remsen and Sid Haig on hand. Rene Enriquez, who would go on to great success in Hill Street Blues in the 80s, plays Salim.

Edited by Jan Spears

Season 2 - Episode 17 - Angels in the Backfield - 01/25/78

Synopsis: The Angels join a women's professional football team in order to find out who is staging attacks on the players and why.

The good:

There is a fair amount of slam-bang action in this episode including two motorcycle attacks that are reasonably well-staged.

Kelly dukes it out with another player on the team in the locker room. As I always say, tough Kelly is the best Kelly!

The bad:

Watching this episode reminds me of the old joke: "It's not half bad . . . but it's 49.99% bad."

The biggest problem with this episode is the ongoing story of the team's female manager and her disapproving father. The daughter is insipid and the father spends the entire episode drinking from a beer can. In addition, this is one of those message episodes that hits you over the head with the message and leaves you feeling like the Angels have just crash-landed in the middle of The Afterschool Special.

The football scenes are unexciting and made worse by the close-ups of the Angels "in action". They're very clearly faking it in front of a painted backdrop with clouds on it. Terrible!

Interesting Fact: Kate Jackson's co-star from The Rookies, Georg Stanford Brown, directed this episode.

Grade: C-

Season 2 - Episode 18 - The Sandcastle Murders - 02/01/78

Synopsis: The Angels and Bosley investigate the "Sandcastle Murders" that have been occurring in Kris' beachside community. Kris has a personal stake in the investigation as a young drifter she knows goes missing and then becomes a victim of the "Sandcastle Killer".

The good:

Like Hours of Desperation and Diamond in the Rough, this is another intriguing episode that breaks out of the usual format. For starters, there is no client in the traditional sense. Instead, Kris is the client as she prevails on the others (and Charlie) to lend a hand in investigating the murders.

The second unusual element to this episode is its visual look. Despite being filmed on location at Los Angeles-area beaches (which would suggest sun and fun), the entire episode is full of cloudy skies, mist and an oppressive haze. There are almost no brightly lit scenes at the beach and boardwalk locations. The effect is something straight out of Kate Jackson's old show, Dark Shadows, and gives the episode a creepy, atmospheric quality which really heightens the material.

The episode also has some compelling action sequences including one with Kris duking it out with an attacker in her own home and a surreal sequence at the end at a boardwalk merry-go-round.

The bad:

Some of the scenes and characterizations are off in this episode. When Kris convinces the others to help her with the investigation, Sabrina volunteers to go with her. But then, at the beach, Sabrina disappears from the story and we only see Kris and Kelly working together.

Bosley's penny-pinching is amusing in more comedic episodes but, here, his relentless focus on taking a paying case over helping Kris is obnoxious given Kris' obvious emotional state. It's also out of character for him as he was always one of Kris' biggest supporters.

The ending is strange, too, as Kris makes a wistful comment about the case only to have all the others ignore her. The final sequence at the merry-go-round with the Angels and Bosley riding the ponies is fun, though, especially the last shot of Kate and Jaclyn riding the same pony.

Interesting appearances: A very young Melody Thomas Scott, who would go on to play Nikki Newman on The Young and the Restless, plays Kris' ill-fated friend. Hunter von Leer, who had a prominent part in 1981's Halloween II, plays a lifeguard.

Grade: A- (Marked down a notch because of the weird characterizations.)

Edited by Jan Spears

When did Kate Jackson break off from the Kelly & Kris? Season 2/Episode 2? I know she worked a lot with them in Hawaii but after that Kate said buh-bye to Cheryl Ladd. Bye Felicia! She really didn't like her, did she? Was it Ladd specifically or whomever was going to replace Fawcett-Majors?

I haven't watched recently enough to know about the screen time between Sabrina and Kris, but I suspect Kate's lack of enthusiasm for Cheryl was both things you mentioned -- Cheryl, specifically, as they just didn't click, and the idea of any "interloper" regardless (while it was Farrah's decision, it was heavily influenced by the chauvinistic grumblings of Lee Majors, and from all I've read, that grated).

I forgot about Melody Thomas Scott being in an episode, but now that it's mentioned, I can vaguely picture it.  She'll always be Nikki to me, even though I was only a casual fan at best of Y&R, so whenever I go back and watch her in something from that era (e.g. Piranha - spoiler alert, she gets eaten), I think of her as Nikki, even though that project came first.

Edited by Bastet

Eric Braeden from Y&R was also on an episode during season 5. If I'm remembering correctly, he's the villain of the episode. It's kind of fun to watch him get his ass whupped by Julie, of all people.

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 1

After the Hawaii adventure and episodes like Circus of Terror (which was filmed first and in which Cheryl's part would have been written for Farrah), Kate's distance from Cheryl becomes obvious during the first half of Season 2. Cheryl was often paired with Jaclyn or David but not so much with Kate. If Kate had a problem with anyone replacing Farrah, then she should have blamed Aaron Spelling. Blaming Cheryl doesn't make a whole lot of sense. If Cheryl hadn't replaced Farrah, someone else would have. There was no way that Aaron Spelling and the network would have allowed the Angels to shrink from 3 to 2. (In the second half of Season 2, the balance is a little better with the distribution of the Angels, and Kate and Cheryl interact more.)

Edited by Jan Spears
  • Love 1
On 4/29/2016 at 4:36 PM, Jan Spears said:

After the Hawaii adventure and episodes like Circus of Terror (which was filmed first and in which Cheryl's part would have been written for Farrah), Kate's distance from Cheryl becomes obvious during the first half of Season 2. Cheryl was often paired with Jaclyn or David but not so much with Kate. If Kate had a problem with anyone replacing Farrah, then she should have blamed Aaron Spelling. Blaming Cheryl doesn't make a whole lot of sense. If Cheryl hadn't replaced Farrah, someone else would have. There was no way that Aaron Spelling and the network would have allowed the Angels to shrink from 3 to 2. (In the second half of Season 2, the balance is a little better with the distribution of the Angels, and Kate and Cheryl interact more.)

On 4/26/2016 at 11:25 PM, ByaNose said:

When did Kate Jackson break off from the Kelly & Kris? Season 2/Episode 2? I know she worked a lot with them in Hawaii but after that Kate said buh-bye to Cheryl Ladd. Bye Felicia! She really didn't like her, did she? Was it Ladd specifically or whomever was going to replace Fawcett-Majors?

I don't know how much of this is true, hearsay, speculation, etc., but what I've gotten from interviews and articles is:

Originally, Kate Jackson was conceived as the lead of the show, and the other characters were going to be more supporting as opposed to leads.  Kate Jackson was supposed to play Kelly, but after reading the script, she suggested she play Sabrina and Jacklyn Smith play Kelly which is probably why the character of Kelly started out as tougher than she ended up.

When the Farrah phenomenon happened, the producers and writers decided to beef up the other characters and have them all be leads.

Both Jackson and Farrah were trying to get better scripts with more substance, and they had gotten the guys in charge to agree when the ratings came in, and they were so high, the network ordered them not to change anything with the show.

Farrah never signed a contract, and when she decided to leave, both Jackson and Smith thought the show might get cancelled.  Jackson was on the phone to her agent immediately trying to get something else lined up.  Jackson also entertained the possibility that with Farrah leaving, she might once again be able to convince the writers to give them better SLs, and for Sabrina and Kelly to be more of a smart/tough girl team, and less jiggle.  Once Ladd came on board, Jackson knew that wasn't going to happen.

I'm not sure what actual personal problems there might have been between Jackson and Ladd.  In an interview, Kate Jackson said they were never friends, but she did not elaborate beyond that.

Kate Jackson finally persuaded them to let her out of her contract when she missed out on playing the lead in Kramer vs. Kramer.

I'm not sure what actual personal problems there might have been between Jackson and Ladd.  In an interview, Kate Jackson said they were never friends, but she did not elaborate beyond that.

I'm not sure there's anything specific to elaborate on.  My speculation is Kate's dislike of Cheryl was both one of those perfectly natural situations when you just don't mesh at all with someone from jump for reasons even you can't articulate, and a patently unfair case of holding her frustrations with the changes (and lack thereof) Cheryl's casting represented against Cheryl personally.

I mostly liked Sabrina, and then the Sabrina/Kelly combination, so I didn't particularly notice the lack of Sabrina/Kris interaction as compared to how it had been with Sabrina and Jill.  I'm sure I would now, though.

I find the Cheryl Ladd/David Doyle friendship really sweet, and that was noticeable to me on screen even at the time.  And I love that Farrah, Jaclyn, and Kate remained so tight.  Hell, Kate (the first of the three to battle cancer) called Jaclyn from the doctor's office when she got the news and Jackie* rushed right over before Kate and the doctor had even finished talking.

*That's how Kate and Farrah always referred to her in things I saw/read, so that's how my mind thinks of her in relation to either of them, even though it comes across stupidly informal about someone I don't know personally.

• Love 2
(edited)

Season 2 - Episode 19 - Angel Blues - 02/08/78

Synopsis: The Angels and Bosley investigate the murder of a Country&Western singer by retracing her steps the night she died. Kris poses as a reporter for a Country&Western publication and rides along with the cabbie who ferried the singer around the night she died while Sabrina and Kelly investigate at each stop along the route.

The good:

As the follow-up to The Sandcastle Murders, this episode benefits from the same hazy, oppressive visual look that made its predecessor so distinctive. The lack of sunshine only adds to the ominous feel of the episode, and LA itself comes across as grim and uninviting.

"Tight writing" is not a phrase you would normally associate with Charlie's Angels but this episode is exceedingly well-written. There are numerous twists and turns and it doesn't become apparent as to what is going on until the 40 minute mark. The grittiness of some of the on-location sites dovetail perfectly with the material as the Angels are thrust into the seedy underside of LA.

The bad:

As always, certain aspects of the production are very 70s -- henchmen in wide-collared shirts, disco/funk music on the soundtrack -- and give the production a dated feel.

Interesting appearances: Vincent Schiavelli, so memorable in Ghost, plays a thug in this. Kate Jackson's old colleague, Georg Stanford Brown, directs again.

Edited by Jan Spears
(edited)

Season 2 - Episode 20 - Mother Goose Is Running for His Life - 02/15/78

Synopsis: Someone is trying to sabotage a toy company so the Angels and Bosley investigate. Sabrina and Bosley pose as employees of an overseas toy company, Kelly cozies up to the hired saboteur and Kris infiltrates the gang behind it all. Later, Kris poses as a life-sized doll in the toy company's design room.

The bad:

After high-gear episodes like The Sandcastle Murders and Angel Blues, the show comes back to Earth with this mediocre episode. There's nothing truly terrible but the episode never coheres into anything. Problem #1 is that the Angels all function separately in this and barely interact. At times, it feels like three solo Angels episodes stitched together into an awkward whole.

Problem #2 involves Kris posing as a life-sized doll. The show sometimes got into trouble when it came up with a clever stunt -- Kris posing as a doll! - and then tried to fit the rest of the plot around the stunt. It really doesn't work because the Angels' "plan" involving Kris as a doll relies on so much chance and dumb luck that the whole thing becomes unbelievable.

The good:

The only really interesting thing about this episode is the amoral supporting character of Donna, who charges the Angels for the information they need and then betrays them to the other side. The character adds some much needed-grit to an otherwise flabby episode.

Grade: C+

Edited by Jan Spears
(edited)

Season 2 - Episode 21 - Little Angels of the Night - 02/22/78

Synopsis: The Angels and Bosley move into an apartment complex in which several prostitutes have been murdered. The Angels pose as "working girls" and Bosley goes to work as the complex's handyman.

The good:

Probably the most distinctive and welcome aspect of this episode is that Kate Jackson and Cheryl Ladd are paired not once but twice! It really was a breath of fresh air whenever the standard pairings of Sabrina/Kelly, Kelly/Kris, Kris/Bosley and Sabrina/Bosley were given a rest.

There is a good fight scene at the end of the episode where Kris (and stunt Kris) duke it out with the killer.

The bad:

The Angels and Bosley are fine as always but, otherwise, there is a flood tide of bad acting from many of the supporting players. The tone is odd as well. In an episode where prostitutes are being murdered, the script contains odd attempts to be lighthearted about prostitution. And it was ill-advised to have Charlie ogling a skimpily dressed young woman in his office when the Angels are investigating the murders of women who work as prostitutes.

Interesting appearances:

James Mitchell, who would go on to play Palmer Cortlandt on All My Children for 30 years starting in 1979, has a small part here. Michael Warren (billed here as Mike Warren) would go on to great success in the 1980s with Hill Street Blues.

Grade: C+ (Bumped up to a B- because of the Sabrina/Kris scenes.)

Edited by Jan Spears

I guess Kate Jackson told TPTB and/or the writers to never pair her up with Cheryl Ladd ever........again!!! It was so obvious that every storyline pair would be Ladd and Smith in Season 2-3. Jeez! WTH was Jackson's problem? Did she miss Farrah that much she couldn't cope? Man! Grow a pair, Kate! LOL!!!

That said, Season 1 is my favorite. The scripts were better, the clothes were better & almost all 3 of them worked together. At least, that's the impression I got. There were a couple of closing shots at the end where Farrah would laugh and you could tell it was her laughing and not Jill. You know what I mean? One was the bowling episode in the final shot with Farrah & Jaclyn. I think another one was the Angel in Chains where Bosley brings in Kim Basinger (or was it Lauren Tewees?) in to the office and Farrah is laughing. She was so pretty, funny & full of life in that first season. 

Season 2 - Episode 22 - The Jade Trap - 03/01/78

Synopsis: The Angels and Bosley investigate a murder in a hotel with many wealthy tenants. A series of robberies have occurred at the hotel but the one they are asked to investigate included a murder that goes against the M.O of the other robberies. Sabrina works behind the scenes, Kelly poses as a Southern belle, Kris pretends to be a Swedish star and Bosley acts as an auctioneer.

The good:

The premise of the episode -- that the Angels have to find a thief and a killer who are not the same person -- makes for an intriguing storyline. Adding to the intrigue is that the thief's mother is actively encouraging him in his "work" and is helping him!

There's also plenty of action with the killer cutting Sabrina's rope as she's trying to rappel down the side of the hotel, the killer trying to run down Kelly and the thief in broad daylight on a beach and the Angels chasing the killer at the end.

The bad:

Kelly comes across as being completely stupid by getting romantically involved with the thief. Kris' "Swedish" accent is more side-splitting than believable.

Interesting appearances:

Guest stars galore in this one! Barry Bostwick plays the thief while Dirk Benedict, who was about to embark on the most successful phase of his career with Battlestar Galactica in 1978 and The A-Team in 1983, plays the killer. Joan Leslie, who appeared in a whole slew of patriotic-themed movies during World War II, has a small role here.

Grade: B+

Season 2 - Episode 23 - Angels on the Run - 05/03/78

Synopsis: When a cheating husband goes missing, the Angels and Bosley investigate only to find that the missing husband is caught up in a jewel heist gone bad. The thieves kidnap Kelly, who is posing as the husband's singer wife.

The good:

Amazingly, astoundingly -- Kate and Cheryl interact throughout the entire episode!!!  Another plus is that we get tough Kelly once she gets kidnapped. Tough Kelly is always the best Kelly, I say.

The bad:

I barely know where to begin with this episode. The story itself isn't bad but there are cringe-inducing scenes. Probably the worst is a pointless scene between Bosley, Charlie and a delivery girl that was clearly meant to be comedy but is painfully unfunny and sexist and destroys any tension that's built up from the main plot. There's also a window dresser who is a complete stereotype, groan-inducing scenes of Charlie learning to play the sitar, gang members in the worst-looking 70s clothes you've ever seen and what looks like recycled sets. (The singer's apartment bears a strong resemblance to the apartment in the flight attendant episode.)

Interesting appearances:

Judy Landers plays the delivery girl while 70s TV stalwart Elaine Joyce plays a girlfriend of the husband. Craig T. Nelson is also on-board and he would go on to great success in Coach.

Grade: C (Raised from a C- because of all the Sabrina/Kris interaction and tough Kelly.)

Season 2 - Episode 24 - Antique Angels - 05/10/78

Synopsis: When thieves steal a special radioactive fuel, the Angels and Bosley swing into action to retrieve it. Their investigation leads them to a 1920s car rally where they pose as Keystone Kops.

The good:

This episode ended the season on a lighthearted note and everyone appeared to be enjoying the 1920s theme. The case itself is nothing special but, even if you don't like the storyline, the 1920s cars and costumes are enjoyable to watch.

The bad:

If Charlie's Angels was filmed now, the season would absolutely end on a cliffhanger. Here, the season just ends on a modest note.

Interesting appearances: Joseph Hacker appears as one of the car drivers. He would appear again in Seasons 3 and 4 as different characters.

Grade: B-

I hope the people reading this thread have enjoyed the Season 2 episode-by-episode summaries. I have certainly enjoyed writing them!

Despite a few duds over the course of a long season, I think Season 2 holds up remarkably well. Overall, I would give it an A-. If it doesn't quite reach the heights that the original three achieved in Season 1, it was entertaining in its own way and proved that the show could do just fine without Farrah. A big part of the credit must go to Cheryl Ladd, who had the unenviable task of replacing Farrah but managed to ingratiate herself with the audience from the get-go. Her performance was so successful that, after Jaclyn Smith, David Doyle and John Forsythe, she would be the core cast member who appeared in the most episodes.

If there's one drawback to Season 2, it's the lack of interaction between Sabrina and Kris in many episodes. The situation gets better by the end of Season 2 but the problem is noticeable and detracts a bit from the overall quality of the season.

Moving on to review Season 4 (Shelley's season) next!

I have really enjoyed the episode by episode summaries! I dvr Charlie's Angels everyday even though I have seen every episode. My husband thinks I am nursing I always seem to find something new in each episode.

(edited)

Season 4 of Charlie's Angels brought significant changes to the series. The biggest change of all, of course, was the departure of original cast member Kate Jackson after three seasons as the brains and spirit of the Townsend Detective Agency. While replacing Farrah Fawcett with Cheryl Ladd had proven to be relatively easy, replacing Jackson with a new Angel would be a more difficult task given the central role she had played on the show. Wisely, the producers didn't try to copy the Sabrina Duncan character with the introduction of Shelley Hack as Tiffany Welles. While Tiffany Welles would have some characteristics in common with Sabrina Duncan (most notably a certain intelligence), the Welles character would be unique in that she brought a certain sophistication to the show. Some of this came directly from Shelley Hack, who had been a successful working model prior to being cast as Tiffany.

The introduction of a sophisticated new Angel to the show led to the second big change in the fourth season, which was an overall trend toward greater glamor and sophistication in how all of the Angels looked. Gone was the casual look from the first three seasons and its place came a greater emphasis on styled clothing, hair and makeup. In retrospect, the 1979-80 season of Charlie's Angels can be viewed as a trial run for everything Aaron Spelling & company would do with Dynasty in the 80s.

The third major change of Season 4 had to do with the stories and scripts. Contrary to the legend, Shelley Hack's debut on the show didn't precipitate the general cooling in the ratings. In fact, the show had already fallen out of the Top 10 in Season 3. The producers must have taken Kate Jackson's complaints about the repetitiveness of the scripts seriously and connected them to the general ratings drop in Season 3. In response, they introduced a number of innovations to the writing in Season 4 as a means of halting the ratings slide, not all of which were successful.

On the positive side of the ledger, the producers went outside of the stable of regular writers for Season 4 and these efforts represent some of the best episodes of the season. Unfortunately, on the negative side of the books, Season 4 brought with it the "Solo Angels" format. These episodes were ones that focused almost exclusively on a particular Angel (mostly Kelly and Kris) while the rest of the team had little or nothing to do in that episode. While the "Solo Angels" format must have seemed like a good idea at the time in terms of injecting new life into the show, it had two negative consequences. First, it went against the grain of what made the show popular in the first place -- which was the chemistry of the Angels and Bosley. The other problem that resulted from the "Solo Angels" format was the sequencing of these episodes. Many of the Kelly and Kris-centric episodes were frontloaded at the beginning of the season just when it was crucial to be introducing TIffany as the newest Angel. The result was that Tiffany disappeared at times during the first half of the season and gave rise to the idea that the new Angel and her portrayer weren't integrating into the team. The second half of the season proved this was false but, by then, the damage was done.

Curiously, several episodes in which Shelley Hack played a big part and which didn't air until later in the season were actually filmed at the beginning of the season. For reasons unknown, these episodes were held until later rather than running close to their film dates. As I review the Season 4 episodes, I will review the episodes in the first half of the season closer to the order in which they were filmed rather than the order in which they were aired. The Tiffany Welles character works so much better when you watch the show this way. (Thanks to the late, lamented 'Jump the Shark' site and the Amazon.com discussion of Season 4 for giving me this idea.)

Edited by Jan Spears

After all of these years, it's still odd to me that Shelly Hack's first episode is all about Kris. No wonder she didn't last. I'm one of those people who thought she was horrible and couldn't act. Of course, by Season 4 I thought the show had run it's course. It's too bad that Tanya Roberts wasn't found for Season 4. I think she might have gotten through two seasons.

Curiously, several episodes in which Shelley Hack played a big part and which didn't air until later in the season were actually filmed at the beginning of the season. For reasons unknown, these episodes were held until later rather than running close to their film dates.

Maybe the network didn't think those episodes were particularly strong?  I've heard that sometimes the network will air a show's episodes out of order when they are trying to build or sustain the audience (i.e. the idea being that the audience will stick around for the weaker episodes if they were already roped in by the stronger ones). 

(edited)

Maybe the network didn't think those episodes were particularly strong?

Actually, the episodes I'm talking about -- like Angel Hunt and Angels on Campus -- were some of the strongest of the season. I think it may have been the case that the network/Spelling productions wanted to introduce Tiffany gradually so they held onto the episodes with a strong Tiffany focus until mid-season. But, by then, it was too late and the tide had turned against Tiffany/Shelley Hack.

Edited by Jan Spears
(edited)

Episode 1 - Love Boat Angels - 09/12/79

[Note: This episode was aired originally as a TV movie. On the box set, the episode is split into two.]

Synopsis: The Season 4 opener introduces new Angel Tiffany Welles and the reconstituted team immediately boards the Pacific Princess to find two thieves who have stolen a fortune in art.

It's interesting comparing this episode introducing Shelley Hack to the one two years prior introducing Cheryl Ladd. While Cheryl's first episode had its dramatic moments, there was a lighthearted tone to the proceedings. Shelley's intro, on the other hand, is much more serious in tone. I'm not sure if this was an improvement. I don't know that your average Charlie's Angels viewer tuned in for a "message" episode about southeast Asian refugees.

In her debut episode, Shelley acquits herself respectably in what little she has to do. Unfortunately, this episode morphs very quickly from a team episode to a Kris-centric episode. Jaclyn and Shelley are sidelined until, roughly, the last 20-25 minutes of the episode. In fact, the episode is really a Cheryl Ladd/Bert Convy/Bo Hopkins episode rather than an Angels and Bosley episode. (Convy and Hopkins play the thieves.)

Shelley's best moment in the episode is when she confesses to Bosley her doubts and how she's afraid of letting down the rest of the team. David Doyle is wonderful in this scene and he already displays wonderful chemistry with Shelley.

The entire Love Boat crew are on-board for this episode but their scenes are short and they disappear from the episode very quickly. What promised to be an interesting crossover doesn't amount to much in the end.

Interesting appearances: Everyone and their brother were on the passenger list (yuck, yuck, yuck) for this episode. In addition to Convy, Hopkins and the Love Boat crew, Dick Sargent (Darren #2 from Bewitched) plays a big part as does veteran character actor Barry Sullivan. Judy Landers reprises her delivery girl role from Season 2.

Grade: B- (Too much Bert Convy and Bo Hopkins and not enough of Jaclyn and Shelley.)

Edited by Jan Spears
On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 6:26 PM, Jan Spears said:

Episode 1 - Love Boat Angels - 09/12/79

[Note: This episode was aired originally as a TV movie. On the box set, the episode is split into two.]

Synopsis: The Season 4 opener introduces new Angel Tiffany Welles and the reconstituted team immediately boards the Pacific Princess to find two thieves who have stolen a fortune in art.

It's interesting comparing this episode introducing Shelley Hack to the one two years prior introducing Cheryl Ladd. While Cheryl's first episode had its dramatic moments, there was a lighthearted tone to the proceedings. Shelley's intro, on the other hand, is much more serious in tone. I'm not sure if this was an improvement. I don't know that your average Charlie's Angels viewer tuned in for a "message" episode about southeast Asian refugees.

In her debut episode, Shelley acquits herself respectably in what little she has to do. Unfortunately, this episode morphs very quickly from a team episode to a Kris-centric episode. Jaclyn and Shelley are sidelined until, roughly, the last 20-25 minutes of the episode. In fact, the episode is really a Cheryl Ladd/Bert Convy/Bo Hopkins episode rather than an Angels and Bosley episode. (Convy and Hopkins play the thieves.)

Shelley's best moment in the episode is when she confesses to Bosley her doubts and how she's afraid of letting down the rest of the team. David Doyle is wonderful in this scene and he already displays wonderful chemistry with Shelley.

The entire Love Boat crew are on-board for this episode but their scenes are short and they disappear from the episode very quickly. What promised to be an interesting crossover doesn't amount to much in the end.

Interesting appearances: Everyone and their brother were on the passenger list (yuck, yuck, yuck) for this episode. In addition to Convy, Hopkins and the Love Boat crew, Dick Sargent (Darren #2 from Bewitched) plays a big part as does veteran character actor Barry Sullivan. Judy Landers reprises her delivery girl role from Season 2.

Grade: B- (Too much Bert Convy and Bo Hopkins and not enough of Jaclyn and Shelley.)

Why was so Kris-centric intro for Shelly Hack? Was she hired at the last minute? Did TPTB cut all her lines on her first day? I remember seeing this originally (I'm 52) and I was like, WTH? It seems from the get-go that the producers (or, whomever) didn't think Shelly couldn't hack it. Ooooops! I mad a pun. LOL!!!

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 9:25 PM, ByaNose said:

I guess Kate Jackson told TPTB and/or the writers to never pair her up with Cheryl Ladd ever........again!!! It was so obvious that every storyline pair would be Ladd and Smith in Season 2-3. Jeez! WTH was Jackson's problem? Did she miss Farrah that much she couldn't cope? Man! Grow a pair, Kate! LOL!!!

That said, Season 1 is my favorite. The scripts were better, the clothes were better & almost all 3 of them worked together. At least, that's the impression I got. There were a couple of closing shots at the end where Farrah would laugh and you could tell it was her laughing and not Jill. You know what I mean? One was the bowling episode in the final shot with Farrah & Jaclyn. I think another one was the Angel in Chains where Bosley brings in Kim Basinger (or was it Lauren Tewees?) in to the office and Farrah is laughing. She was so pretty, funny & full of life in that first season. 

I think Kate Jackson was disappointed that TIIC did a bait and switch with the original premise of Charlie's Angels.  They approached Kate to be the lead in the show because she had been on The Rookies, and she received more fan mail than anyone else on that show, including all the male leads.  A lot of Kate's ideas were incorporated into Charlie's Angels before they even started filming, and then it all went downhill.

Jacklyn Smith originally went to New York to be a dancer.  She was offered the role of Victoria Winters on the soap Dark Shadows (when her husband Roger Davis was on the show), but she turned it down.  When Jacklyn Smith went in to read for Charlie's Angels, she said it was a cold reading, she thought it was really bad, and she wouldn't get the part.  They hired her because she was gorgeous.  Apparently, Aaron Spelling and the casting director said something along the lines of, "She's beautiful, the camera loves her, she can learn to act, and look at the three of them (Kate, Jackie, Farrah) together."

I think Jackie didn't go into Charlie's Angel's having the same expectations Kate did, and it was easier for her.  Jacklyn Smith has been the most reticent to say anything bad about the show, but she did say after five years, she was ready to move onto something else.

(edited)

Episode 2 - Angels Go Truckin' - 09/19/79

Synopsis: When pharmaceuticals mysteriously go missing during a routine truck drive, the Angels recreate the drive with another cargo of pharmaceuticals in an attempt to lure the crooks who stole the original cargo and figure out how they managed the heist. Kris and Tiffany learn how to be truckers in order to move the cargo and Kelly goes undercover as a waitress at the roadside diner where the original truckers stopped to eat.

Angels Go Truckin' is one of the best and most entertaining episodes of the season. Any episode where the Angels have to go undercover in an unlikely situation is usually an entertaining one and so it is here. Cheryl and Shelley look like they're having a blast together as truckers. (If it was all just acting, then Shelley was a much better actress than her detractors gave her credit for.) Another plus is that Cheryl, who was unusually somber in Love Boat Angels, is closer to her normal vivacious self here.

After the Kris-centric opening episode, this episode is a true team episode. All of the Angels play a big part, including Shelley, who handles herself capably in her second aired episode.

The only real negative to this episode is that Bosley doesn't join the team on the investigation. He appears at the beginning and the end but doesn't have much of anything to do in-between. I find I miss David Doyle whenever he's not on screen.

Grade: A- (Would have been an A if there had been more David Doyle.)

Edited by Jan Spears

Episode 10 - Angels on Campus - 11/28/79

Note: The original third episode of the season was Avenging Angel, which was one of Jaclyn's "Solo Angel" episodes in Season 4. I've substituted Angels on Campus in my reviewing order because (a) it's a Tiffany-centric episode that sets up the character of Tiffany Welles perfectly, and (b) it was one of the first episodes filmed for the season. (We know this because a shot from Angels on Campus appears in Shelley's opening credits sequence during Angels Go Truckin' and thereafter.)

Synopsis: When two members of Tiffany's college sorority go missing under mysterious circumstances, the Angels and Bosley head to campus to investigate. Tiffany poses as a writer and moves back into her college sorority house, Kris pretends to be an adult student auditing an English class, Kelly acts as a scout from a professional football team and Bosley poses as a former insurance salesman writing a book.

Under normal circumstances, I'm not a fan of the Angel-centric or "Solo Angel" format. I'll make an exception in this case because this episode really develops the Tiffany Welles character in terms of her personality and her ability to take the lead in professionally managing an investigation. After having introduced Shelley in Love Boat Angels and then having given her a big part in Angels Go Truckin', this would have been the ideal time for the producers to air this episode because it establishes the character of Tiffany Welles and, in retrospect, disproves the notion that Shelley Hack couldn't act. (Or, to put it another way, she was no worse than any of the other female leads were when they started, with the exception of Kate Jackson.) For whatever reasons(s), though, the producers held this episode until November at which point the "Shelley isn't fitting in" legend had taken hold.

The rest of the episode is an up-and-down affair with some suspenseful moments (Tiffany being stalked in a locked locker room) and some ridiculous ones (a volleyball game between rival sororities.) Jaclyn (in particular) and Cheryl are underused but David Doyle has some amusing moments.

Interesting appearances: This episode is like a 'Who's Who' of 70s TV actors with Gary Collins, Nita Talbot and Jo Ann Pflug all enrolling (yuck, yuck, yuck) in this one.

Grades:

A (as a Tiffany-centric episode)

B+ (as a Charlie's Angels episode)

Episode 11 - Angel Hunt - 12/05/79

Note: The original fourth episode was Angels at the Altar, which was a team episode but was Kelly-centric. I'm substituting Angel Hunt in the review episode because it must have been filmed early in the season and builds on Tiffany's character from Angels on Campus. (A clip from this episode also appears in Shelley's opening credits that began airing with Angels Go Truckin'.)

Synopsis: The Angels are enjoying a day at the beach when they receive an urgent call from "Charlie" to travel to a remote island. When they arrive at the island, the Angels discover that a hunter who Charlie had helped put in prison for hunting humans is now hunting them.

If you asked me to name my Top Three Charlie's Angels episodes, this would be one of them. Not only is it the finest episode of Season 4 but it's one of the finest of the series. What makes this episode so great is that the Angels have no one to rely on but each other as the hunter and his two henchmen ruthlessly stalk them. For all the action and forward momentum of the plot, there's also a fair amount of character development for the Tiffany Welles character. At one point, Tiffany confesses she is scared but that she's glad the other two Angels are there. This is the point where we would have seen the new team gelling if the episode had aired closer to its filming date.

Another great part of this episode is its essential seriousness. There's a certain amount of humor at the start but that disappears until the very end. The Angels are in trouble and they know it. They actually have to kill someone in the episode to get out of this mess.

Unusually, Bosley interacts directly with Charlie in this episode. Interestingly, it is Bosley who has more faith in the Angels' ability to defeat their foes rather than Charlie, who needs Bosley to bolster his confidence.

Finally, since there is no case in this episode, there is no opening at the Townsend Agency office, there is no call from Charlie and there is no closing scene at the office. This is a complete break from the regular formula and a welcome one.

Interesting appearances: Lloyd Bochner plays the hunter, and he and Bo Hopkins (from Love Boat Angels) would go on to star in another Aaron Spelling production in the 80s, Dynasty. L.Q. Jones, who appeared in every Western under the sun, is one of the henchmen.

Grade: A+ (This is one of the finest episodes of the entire series not least because it breaks so decisively from the regular formula.)

(edited)

Episode 4 - Angels at the Altar - 10/03/79

Note: Angels at the Altar was the original episode 4. In my reviewing chronology, it becomes episode 5; displacing the first Farrah-return episode of Season 4, Fallen Angel.

Synopsis: Kelly is set to be the maid-of-honor at a high school friend's wedding. The only trouble is that someone keeps trying to kill the groom. While Kelly sticks close to the bride, Kris poses as a maid at the wedding, Tiffany plays the violin at the ceremony and Bosley acts as a bartender at the event.

Angels at the Altar is a Kelly-centric episode similar to the earlier Kris-centric episode (Love Boat Angels) and the later Tiffany-centric episode (Angels on Campus). Since the audience had already become well acquainted with the character of Kelly Garrett over the previous three seasons, nothing is really gained by this and some of the interaction between the Angels is lost as Cheryl and Shelley don't have much to do until the last 10 minutes or so. (Guest star Kim Cattrall, who plays the bride, and David Doyle actually have more to do than either Cheryl or Shelley.)

Beyond that this is a meat-and-potatoes episode of Charlie's Angels -- nothing extraordinary but entertaining in its way. The highlight to this viewer is Kris (or stunt Kris) in her maid's uniform duking it out with the evil bridesmaid in a bedroom. There's also the fun spectacle of Kris (still in her maid's uniform, Tiffany (Shelley, looking ravishing in peach) and Bosley (in his bartender's uniform) sprinting across the lawn to break up the marriage before the minister can pronounce the couple man and wife.

One other side note: Jaclyn has to wear the ugliest late-70s bridesmaid dress (in lilac!) When even Jaclyn Smith can't pull off a dress, you know it's hideous.

Interesting appearances: In addition to Kim Cattrall, film noir stalwart Marie Windsor is on hand as her mother. Robert Walker Jr., who looks just like his father, plays the best man. Also participating are two regular Charlie's Angels guests: John David Carson and Joseph Hacker. Carson guested in the Season 3 horseracing episode, and Hacker had already guested in Season 2 as the antique car driver in Antique Angels and in Season 3 as the psychic in Haunted Angels. Someone at Aaron Spelling Productions sure liked these guys!

Grade: B (Nothing special but passes the time agreeably enough.)

Edited by Jan Spears
(edited)

Episode 5 - Fallen Angel - 10/10/79

Note: Fallen Angel was the original episode 5. In my reviewing chronology, it becomes episode 6; displacing Caged Angel, which was a Kris "Solo Angel" episode.

Synopsis: A suave jewel thief plots to steal a priceless jewel from an opera singer. The Angels (especially Kris and Kelly) are aghast to discover that former Angel Jill is dating the thief and appears to be in cahoots with him.

Fallen Angel is the first of three "Farrah Returns" episodes in Season 4. (There had already been three in Season 3.) Along with Angel, Come Home in Season 3, Fallen Angel is the strongest of the Farrah guest star episodes. "Jill gone bad" is an interesting idea that is well-executed here. It leads to lively scenes between Jill and Kris, and Jill and Kelly. Timothy Dalton is cut above the typical guest star and he makes for a strong antagonist. The closing fight scene between Farrah and Dalton is lively and exciting although it is obvious in certain shots that "Jill" is really a stunt man in a frizzy wig.

Tiffany doesn't have a lot to do in this episode but this actually makes sense in the context of the episode as she and Jill do not know each other, which is actually stated in the dialogue.

As for Farrah, she's still beautiful in this and still has that presence. Three years on from the show's debut in 1976, though, she does appear somewhat harder. It's difficult not to think that all the drama which had occurred in her life between 1976 and 1979 had given her a somewhat harder look and demeanor. That being said, she does have a lovely scene with Cheryl at the end where she looks and acts more like the old, carefree Jill. And even though Farrah and Cheryl didn't start working together until Season 3, they really are believable as sisters.

Grade: A- (One of the best "Farrah Returns" episodes)

Edited by Jan Spears
(edited)

Episode 7 - Angels on the Street - 11/07/79

Note: With Angels on the Street, my reviewing chronology synchs back up with the actual episode airing order.

Synopsis: When a shy and introspective young woman is beaten twice by a pimp who "works" in the same neighborhood where the young woman and her father operate a music/dance studio, the Angels and Bosley swing into action. But they are baffled by what appears to be no connection between the woman and the pimp. Kelly and Tiffany infiltrate the pimp's stable of prostitutes while Kris and Bosley keep an eye on the neighborhood.

This episode is a prime example of the kind of "message" episodes that permeated Season 4. Unlike prior seasons, where the show sometimes treated social issues in a cavalier fashion, Angels on the Street doesn't soft pedal the violent aspects of prostitution occurring in a poor neighborhood. This is the first team episode in the season with Jaclyn and Shelley working as undercover partners and they work well together. (Even with her prostitute clothes and make-up, though, Shelley looks a little too refined for the neighborhood.)

I always forget that there's a nice twist in this episode that transforms the episode from a routine "message" episode into something even more unsettling.

The final interesting element in the episode is character actress Madlyn Rhue, who plays a waitress at the neighborhood diner. She ends up acting as an antagonist to the Angels (and an ally to the pimp) for what appears to be no other motive than sheer spite.

Grade: B+ (A decent episode made better by the twist.) 

Edited by Jan Spears

I loved this show!  Growing up the executive producer had a vacation home down the street from my house and I would babysit for guests occasionally.  He knew I was a fan so he got me an autographed pic of Farrah and one of the 3 angels together.  I still have them somewhere.

(edited)

Episode 8 - The Prince and the Angel - 11/14/78

The Prince and the Angel is the second of three 'Farrah Returns' episodes in Season 4 and, unfortunately, is a real snoozefest. Part of the problem is that this episode aired originally only three weeks after the far superior Fallen Angel. The novelty of having Farrah back wasn't as great when her return episodes were packed so closely together.

Another problem is that, with the exception of a brief scene between Farrah and Jaclyn at the beginning of the episode, the other Angels and Bosley don't show up until the 20 minute mark. As none of the Angels have much to do thereafter, this makes for an exceedingly weak outing.

Farrah is competent in a boring story but it's clear that she was ready to be done with her contractual obligations and get back to trying to launch a movie career. In retrospect, it probably would have been better to have Farrah film two hour versions of Angel, Come Home in Season 3 and Fallen Angel in Season 4 rather than trying to come up with six story ideas across two seasons.

Grade: C

Edited by Jan Spears

The original airdate order and break down through the first 8 episodes was as follows:

Kelly "Solo Angel"/Kelly-centric (Avenging Angel and Angels at the Altar)

Kris "Solo Angel"/Kris-centric (Caged Angel and Love Boat Angels)

"Farrah Returns" (Fallen Angel and The Prince and the Angel)

Team episodes (Angels Go Truckin' and Angels on the Street)

My preferred airdate order and break down would have been:

Team episodes (Angels Go Truckin', Angel Hunt and Angels on the Street)

Kelly-centric (Angels at the Altar)

Kris-centric (Love Boat Angels)

Tiffany-centric (Angels on Campus)

"Farrah Returns" (Fallen Angel and The Prince and the Angel)

Up next: Angels on Skates

Episode 9 - Angels on Skates - 11/21/79

Synopsis: The Angels swing into action when they witness a young roller disco skater (!) get kidnapped on Venice Beach. Kris joins the roller disco show (!!) at the local rink while Kelly, Tiffany and Bosley attempt to find the missing young woman.

This episode was very 'NOW' when conceived, written and filmed but it sure is very 'THEN' lo these 37 years later. Basing an episode on the then-popular craze of roller disco dates this episode horribly. The story itself is sub-par and the overlay of the disco skating theme only serves to bury the episode. Matters aren't helped by guest villains Rene Auberjonois (in garish disco clothes) and Ed Begley Jr. (on skates), who don't exactly project rank villainy. Also, Kelly disappears from the story at a certain point and only reappears at the end.

This episode could also compete easily for the titles of 'Worst Stunt' (a double for Ed Begley Jr. in the big disco skating number at the end who, comically, looks nothing like him) and 'Worst Outfit' (Shelley in orange overalls giving Jaclyn's lilac bridesmaid outfit from earlier in the season a run for its money.)

All that being said, this episode does have great time capsule charm to it with disco music, roller skating, Venice Beach, women wearing Mork from Ork-style suspenders, etc. The only thing missing is Jack Tripper skating by on roller skates!

Interesting appearances: In addition to Auberjonois and Begley Jr,, who would would both go on to shows of their own in the 1980s, Roz 'Pinky Tuscadero' Kelly is on hand as an aspiring roller derby star.

Grade: C- (as a Charlie's Angels episode)

Grade: A (as a time capsule of the very late 70s)