Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: ... betrayed a friend

• Start Topic

Nalini's outfit at the retirement party was gorgeous. I wouldn't have any place to wear it, but it would fit me. *coveting*

OTOH, I really don't care for the ginormous beard on Nalini's love interest. I like beards, just not the current duck hunters style. 

• Like 1
  • Love 4

I don't have kids, and it's been a long time since I was a teenager. Are eating disorders considered shocking these days? I mean, to the point where everyone's gossiping about it? 

I know Devi's a teenager but she's got the least emotional intelligence of any of the teens on this show. She keeps hurting people and even when confronted with it, she tries to justify the means.  

• Like 1
  • Love 8
18 minutes ago, archer1267 said:

I don't have kids, and it's been a long time since I was a teenager. Are eating disorders considered shocking these days? I mean, to the point where everyone's gossiping about it? 

This was my entire problem with this plotline.  Devi says Aneesa is anorexic in the most sarcastic, bitchy way and the two popular girls react as if Devi pulled them aside and confided in them that she saw a copy of Aneesa's medical records or something.  It makes no sense.  Add on to that the fact that tons of teenage girls have body image issues and unhealthy dieting habits, so I can't imagine hearing that someone's anorexic is that interesting.   I mean, there was an official "hook-up" tent where people wrote their names on a list to reserve a timeslot and you're telling me the hottest piece of gossip to come out of that night was that Aneesa is anorexic?  Really?  

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 11
(edited)

I think it bothered Aneesa more than it scandalized the rest of the kids, and that's because it was true. If not, she would have shrugged it off as a bizarre accusation. 

I'm sure there was other gossip floating around, but it didn't affect our characters because they weren't involved in it.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 15

"Everyone here has a gun and a juicer." 

Devi tries to come clean, but mostly she just wants brownie points for telling the truth eventually and not because she really feels like its the right thing. She does clearly feel bad, but she was so busy trying to wiggle out of consequences that she really lost any real moral high ground really quickly. Its like when she started the season two timing Paxton and Ben, she didn't mean to hurt them, but she did because she didn't think about how they would feel, she was only thinking of them in relation to her. 

It sucks for everyone that Devi really nailed that rumor on her first try. If it wasn't true that Aneesa was anorexic, or if Devi had blurted out some other random thing, like her having an STD, she probably would have laughed it off and the rumor would have died pretty quickly, but because Devi apparently has a sixth sense for eating disorders, Aneela understandably freaked out that someone "knew" about her and confirmed it for everyone, making it the hot gossip. 

I like Eve, but I don't really like her friends. They seem to act like lesbian gate keepers who judge Fabiola for not immediately knowing all of the LGBTQ lingo and culture right away. 

• Love 4
On 7/20/2021 at 10:51 AM, tennisgurl said:

I like Eve, but I don't really like her friends. They seem to act like lesbian gate keepers who judge Fabiola for not immediately knowing all of the LGBTQ lingo and culture right away. 

I agree with this, and it makes me like Eve less. I'm a dyed in the wool dyke and I've never met such a small minded crop o'lesbians, who would frown on robotics club or reject someone on the basis of lack of connection to pop culture. I have to wonder where they found or why they crafted this brand of friends. I get that they are trying to show how peer pressure works, that coming out doesn't solve all problems of finding oneself and ones community, but still... Eve's friends are terrible and it makes Eve seem really unlikable. If they are trying to show that she and Fab are not a good match, fine. But so far it doesn't seem like that's what they are trying to say. So I don't get it.

• Love 8
(edited)
25 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I agree with this, and it makes me like Eve less. I'm a dyed in the wool dyke and I've never met such a small minded crop o'lesbians, who would frown on robotics club or reject someone on the basis of lack of connection to pop culture. I have to wonder where they found or why they crafted this brand of friends. I get that they are trying to show how peer pressure works, that coming out doesn't solve all problems of finding oneself and ones community, but still... Eve's friends are terrible and it makes Eve seem really unlikable. If they are trying to show that she and Fab are not a good match, fine. But so far it doesn't seem like that's what they are trying to say. So I don't get it.

Eve's posse seemed like a really insecure bunch --some of whom might not be sure yet of their sexual identity and were just trying this on for size-- who felt threatened by someone like Fabiola who is sure of her sexual identity without the cultural trappings, and who is sure of her career path (rare in high school), and is, let's face it, is gorgeous.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2
On 7/17/2021 at 10:52 PM, archer1267 said:

I know Devi's a teenager but she's got the least emotional intelligence of any of the teens on this show. She keeps hurting people and even when confronted with it, she tries to justify the means.  

I don't think they're shocking but it was a rumor that turned out to be true and that deeply affected Aneesa. The students we 

On 7/20/2021 at 10:51 AM, tennisgurl said:

"Everyone here has a gun and a juicer." 

Devi tries to come clean, but mostly she just wants brownie points for telling the truth eventually and not because she really feels like its the right thing. She does clearly feel bad, but she was so busy trying to wiggle out of consequences that she really lost any real moral high ground really quickly. Its like when she started the season two timing Paxton and Ben, she didn't mean to hurt them, but she did because she didn't think about how they would feel, she was only thinking of them in relation to her. 

It sucks for everyone that Devi really nailed that rumor on her first try. If it wasn't true that Aneesa was anorexic, or if Devi had blurted out some other random thing, like her having an STD, she probably would have laughed it off and the rumor would have died pretty quickly, but because Devi apparently has a sixth sense for eating disorders, Aneela understandably freaked out that someone "knew" about her and confirmed it for everyone, making it the hot gossip. 

I don't that Eve's friend(s) is trying to make it seem like there's only one way to be a lesbian.

On 7/21/2021 at 3:51 PM, shapeshifter said:

Eve's posse seemed like a really insecure bunch --some of whom might not be sure yet of their sexual identity and were just trying this on for size-- who felt threatened by someone like Fabiola who is sure of her sexual identity without the cultural trappings, and who is sure of her career path (rare in high school), and is, let's face it, is gorgeous.

I think it's like people trying to be "woke." Fabi is comfortable with who she is and doesn't fit anyone's mold - not the queer students, not the robotics team, not her mother's, not Eve's, not Eve's friends, etc. She's great!

On 7/17/2021 at 7:40 PM, ShortyMac said:

Yep. Devi really Devi’d everything up. She needs to drum up some genuine remorse, and truly apologize to Aneesa. 

I like the way this show touches on the emotional issues that teenagers experience. 

On 7/17/2021 at 11:33 PM, Snapdragon said:

This was my entire problem with this plotline.  Devi says Aneesa is anorexic in the most sarcastic, bitchy way and the two popular girls react as if Devi pulled them aside and confided in them that she saw a copy of Aneesa's medical records or something.  It makes no sense.  Add on to that the fact that tons of teenage girls have body image issues and unhealthy dieting habits, so I can't imagine hearing that someone's anorexic is that interesting.   I mean, there was an official "hook-up" tent where people wrote their names on a list to reserve a timeslot and you're telling me the hottest piece of gossip to come out of that night was that Aneesa is anorexic?  Really?  

I don't think it's the hottest piece of gossip. But it was important to Aneesa. I suppose it was something Aneesa struggled with more than what we see now, especially as we hear her explain what it was like for her as a brown Muslima in a preppy private school. 

On 7/18/2021 at 12:47 AM, possibilities said:

I think it bothered Aneesa more than it scandalized the rest of the kids, and that's because it was true. If not, she would have shrugged it off as a bizarre accusation. 

I'm sure there was other gossip floating around, but it didn't affect our characters because they weren't involved in it.

Exactly. 

On 7/17/2021 at 11:47 PM, possibilities said:

That’s how I saw it. It upsets Aneesa so much because of her own trauma about her disease and how she was treated at her last school. If she didn’t care and said “yeah I’ve been in recovery for a year.” And moved on, everyone else would as well. 

• Love 1