Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E16: Fate's a Bitch, Isn't It?

• Start Topic

(edited)

SEASON FINALE!

Hope is forced to work with someone from her past; Kaleb and MG go on their first official superhero mission; Lizzie's plan to find Hope a rebound relationship takes an unexpected turn.

Promo:

Original air date: 6/24/21

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

It was nice to see MG and Kaleb together moonlighting as superheroes. I don't know what the deal is with this  Ethan and Lizzie stuff but if they never intended to put MG and Lizzie together then they shouldn't have acted like they were gonna go there.

• Love 2

That was a solid soft-cliffhanger finale. No one in immediate imminent danger (we’ve already seen Hope, Landon and Clarke spend quite some time in Malivore so I don’t count Cleo’s situation).

It really is refreshing that we’ve got actually heroic characters. MG and Kaleb really put the lie to all the “I can’t help myself, I’m a victim of this curse” attitudes of Damon, Klaus, Enzo, etc. They had hundreds of years they could have been helping and saving people. They CHOSE to treat people as disposable playthings and food.

I pegged the twist on Landon actually being Malivore as soon as the locator spell led to him. All the pieces for this season slotted together really well. The early 3B (where season 3 would have started if not for Covid) monsters were all golems, then Hope uses the Ascendant and lets out Malivore in Landon’s body which means Landon IS the portal (hence why the mud never moved for Cleo’s spell).

Malivore also has a vested interest in keeping Hope from becoming the full Tribrid and also being extremely vulnerable to Hope even in her present state. So even though he was behind Cleo’s kidnapping, as soon as he realized he was fighting Hope he “NOPE-d” right out of dodge and, when Cleo was trying to kill Hope to activate her vampire side, Malivore stepped in to save her in order to protect himself.

Clarke being fully human now wasn’t unexpected; ever since they started teasing his return with the flashbacks I figured he was headed for a redemption arc (most likely for next season) just because he was portrayed slightly more sympathetically in his last s2 appearance and Hope’s ability to just about always be able to shut him down made him basically a villain with a “D” (at best) in villainy. Making him completely human doesn’t actually change much in his capabilities, but does make him off limits to Hopecide.

Similarly, Lizzie’s efforts to convince Ethan to date Hope while inevitably charming him were textbook. Meanwhile, if Hope can’t get Landon back, I’d say she’s got far better chemistry with Clarke than any of her other potential.

So, yeah, definitely coming back for next season.

• Love 4

As a soft finale like last year, it was kind of okay. The ending was okay way to the season and lead to the new season.

This seriously needs to lead to the end of Malivore. Just let it end already. If they somehow find a way to save Landon/Cleo but Malivore still survives it will really start pushing things way too far. 

I like Clarke. I like Landon. I even occasionally like them with Hope. In any other TV universe I could welcome them exploring a love triangle with them. But no, nope, no way in hell in this damn universe. Please Legacies writers resist the urge to make this show like TVD and the Originals with it mainly revolving around two brothers involvement with one woman. 

I fear the writers are trying to make subtle statements to the viewers like with Finch and Josie basically saying their relationship would be different. Which was like the writers saying ‘Hey we know we have screwed you over with those relationships that you wanted with Josie before but this one will last longer so that’s good right?’. 

Like the twist with Landon now being the vessel for Malivore. Though I wonder what inspiration Cleo gave him involving Hope. 

I am really hoping that there is some other twist with Ethan like he became a vampire or was on vervain to explain his involvement still. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ybrik said:

This seriously needs to lead to the end of Malivore. Just let it end already.

Yes, yes, & YES. I am so sick of Malivore, just find a new plot already.

• Love 4

To be fair, Malivore is more Hope’s story. Landon is just a MacGuffin/love interest in said story.

That said, I do think we’ve reached the logical endgame because Malivore finally has a voice and no longer needs to send intermediary monsters.

Indeed, if you take a closer look at the season barely any actually were Malivore monsters. The only ones expressly sent by Malivore were the Gremlin and Banshee. Everything else was a headfake by Cleo (the Leprechaun, Charon, golemLandon) or completely unconnected (the Wendigo... because it had zero interest in  anything but sheer murder) and several episodes had no monsters at all (or least didn’t appear to since Malivore was hiding in plain sight).

Which tracks with Malivore basically already having mostly what he wanted; he was free of the pit and wearing his Landon skinsuit. The only thing he really lacked was that phoenix immortality he’d built into Landon and I suspect THAT is what he looking for inspiration about... that he’s still absolutely vulnerable to destruction by Hope so he’s basically been looking for a loophole to the loophole and now he thinks he’s figured it out.

So my hunch is that basically season 4A will be the Malivore endgame with 4B being the start of whatever comes next as the side effects of ending Malivore; at least if past seasons of this show, TVD and TO are anything to go by (i.e. to solve one problem they end up breaking something else that takes the rest of that season and the front end of the following season to fix which breaks something else that they spend the rest of that season and front of the one after that fixing, etc.).

• Love 2
16 hours ago, ybrik said:

This seriously needs to lead to the end of Malivore. Just let it end already. If they somehow find a way to save Landon/Cleo but Malivore still survives it will really start pushing things way too far. 

15 hours ago, GaT said:

Yes, yes, & YES. I am so sick of Malivore, just find a new plot already.

11 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I really hope that the beginning of S4 brings a conclusion to this endless Malivore stuff. I get that it's part of Landon's whole story but ugh. Even when Malivore isn't technically present, it's all they talk about.

I'd like to add a Hallelujah!  So, so, so tired of Malivore already. This season had such a choppy feel to it, I can barely remember what happened week to week.  And, if not for this forum, I wouldn't have known this was a finale. 

• Love 2

As far as soft finales go, this was pretty good. It felt more like a mid season finale than a season finale, but I am at least glad that we seem to be in our Malivore endgame. Now that we actually have him here we can hopefully (heh) get to the big showdown and then move onto a new bad guy who is unconnected to him. Even in a season that has been relatively Malivore light he has long since outlived his usefulness as the Big Bad, its time to move on. I know he's a big part of Landon and Hope's stories, but I think they can pretty easily find something else for them. This season has been pretty disjointed, partially for reasons that aren't the shows fault, but I think it pulled it together towards the end. 

I feel like an idiot for not catching on that the Landon that came back wasn't actually Landon. I caught on that he was being weird when he was a Golem, and then he was way better at pretending to be Landon than Malivore was, but I just chocked his weird behavior up to trauma after escaping the prison world. I realized it when the location spell hit him, so now it lines up pretty well. Poor guy is just having an awful time of it, where even is he? So when they save Cleo and Landon, can Malivore be gone now please? 

Not too surprised that Clarke is heading towards a redemption arc, especially now that he's human. Certainly not the worst idea as far as redeeming bad guys in this show, but I hope they stay far away from romance between him and Hope. We so do not need another sibling love triangle in this franchise. 

The show must really like Ethan, they keep wanting reasons to keep him around without making him supernatural, so they were like "who is in need of a love interest...Lizzie!" and are putting them together. I like Ethan as MG's buddy but less so as Josie's potential love interest, so hopefully he stays likable as Lizzie's possible boyfriend. Ethan is certainly a better love interest for her than her last boyfriend, the creepy hundred year old vampire ghost. 

See you next season!

• Love 2
17 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

The show must really like Ethan, they keep wanting reasons to keep him around without making him supernatural, so they were like "who is in need of a love interest...Lizzie!" and are putting them together. I like Ethan as MG's buddy but less so as Josie's potential love interest, so hopefully he stays likable as Lizzie's possible boyfriend. Ethan is certainly a better love interest for her than her last boyfriend, the creepy hundred year old vampire ghost. 

I like Ethan and I'm glad to see him still in the show. I really liked him as MG's friend and was sad when I thought he was gone for good after MG compelled him. I'm okay with Lizzie and MG being best friends. I feel she's too much of a diva for him and would only end up hurting him. I think Ethan being a popular high school football player fits her diva side more. But I do think something will happen to Ethan that turns him supernatural. Or who knows maybe he'll be the Matt of Legacies ;-)

I'm so over this Landon and Malivore crap that's being going on for 3 seasons.

• Love 1