Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Interview

• Start Topic

Hey, it's Chris Geere and Kirby Howell-Baptiste! And they're Brits playing Brits! Actually, I guess they mostly do everywhere I've watched them but still.

I thoroughly enjoyed Ava's homecoming to LA even if it's not really the same parts of LA I love. My god, an $11 coffee? Those Fenty Pumas were dope too.

The one thing I would say about good food is that it was my understanding (from afar) that Vegas has seriously upped its game in the last five-ten years. It's not just endless buffets anymore. More importantly, that reconnection between Ruby and Ava was really good.

• Love 6

I thought there was way too little about the public reaction to Deborah's move in the previous episode, and I also found it odd that Deborah would take Ava's looking for another job so seriously. It didn't really seem to fit her character.

Or Marcus, either. The episode just felt off for me -- a little out of sync from where it had been building. 

• Love 6
17 hours ago, arc said:

The one thing I would say about good food is that it was my understanding (from afar) that Vegas has seriously upped its game in the last five-ten years. It's not just endless buffets anymore.

There is some amazing food in Vegas (both on and off the strip) but I'm guessing that Ava is eating at the buffet in her hotel because it's included with her room. A lot of the food in Vegas is expensive so $11 coffee in LA wouldn't be shocking to Ava. The last time I went to Las Vegas was a few months before the pandemic. The driver who picked me up from the airport asked where I was from. When I said I live in California, he said that was good because I wouldn't be shocked by how expensive everything in Vegas cost.

• Love 2

She bought one of everything on the menu in this episode, so she has some money for indulgences. (Though presumably she splurged somewhat in premature celebration of getting another TV writers job.)

It was a neat bit of plotting that Ava's secret mission to meet up for an interview got busted because she had started renting out her townhouse via Marcus, so it got back to Marcus.

• Love 9
13 hours ago, whiporee said:

I also found it odd that Deborah would take Ava's looking for another job so seriously. It didn't really seem to fit her character.

I think it was less about the job search, and more about the lying.  Deborah and Ava are in a moment, trying out a new act, where they need to trust one another.  Ava telling Deborah to trust her in one breath, while lying about what she was doing in the next, is too much. 

• Love 19
On 6/11/2021 at 9:14 AM, txhorns79 said:

I think it was less about the job search, and more about the lying.  Deborah and Ava are in a moment, trying out a new act, where they need to trust one another.  Ava telling Deborah to trust her in one breath, while lying about what she was doing in the next, is too much. 

Yea, Deborah is the gig is a gig lady who will take a job opening a pizza franchise. If Ava had just told her she probably wouldn't have cared. But the sneaking and the lying would definitely hit harder.

Also Ava's line about how people the British accent will make people think the show is way better than it actually is was really funny. Like some Bobby Hill level funny.

• Love 2

I was surprised that there was no mention at all of Deborah's buyout of the sexist comedian from the previous episode; surely one of those people filming on their phones would've uploaded it?

Totally. You’d think it would result in massive media attention, interviews, and the chance to issue a clear statement.

With the way that Deborah was working so hard to memorize her set, it really just doesn't seem like her true heart and spirit are in the new material.  I still feel like she is funnier and more invested when she channels her anger and experiences from her long standup career, and can't help but wonder if in her final appearance, she will go 'off script' somehow and end up being seen as 'authentic'.