Type keyword(s) to search

Black Summer - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Season 2 is FINALLY dropping on June 17, 2021.  

https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/news/black-summer-season-2-netflix-renewal-status-release-date-05-2021/

I thought season 1 was phenomenal, so I'm definitely planning on binge watching season 2.  

Season 1 is still up on Netflix if anyone wants to view that before the season 2 premiere (especially since it's been a really long wait what with the COVID-related production delays).

Enjoy!!!    

On 5/19/2021 at 11:12 AM, Persnickety1 said:

Season 2 is FINALLY dropping on June 17, 2021.  

https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/news/black-summer-season-2-netflix-renewal-status-release-date-05-2021/

I thought season 1 was phenomenal, so I'm definitely planning on binge watching season 2.  

Season 1 is still up on Netflix if anyone wants to view that before the season 2 premiere (especially since it's been a really long wait what with the COVID-related production delays).

Enjoy!!!    

Happy Feliz GIF by Victoria Justice

• LOL 1

Just binged season 1 thank to @Persnickety1 alerting me to the show.  I really liked the show.  The structure mixes things up in a good way.   The zombies are fast so they are actually scary.  You can't just stroll along to get away from them.  Also, for once, random people don't pick up guns and become perfect shots.  We learn enough about people to make then interesting without having people, in an apocalypse, speechify for hours.  Definitely looking forward to season 2. 

• Love 1
On 5/30/2021 at 1:47 PM, PrincessPurrsALot said:

The zombies are fast so they are actually scary.  You can't just stroll along to get away from them. 

I like this part too.  I've started S1 and my opinion varies between "holy hell these people are stupid" to really enjoying it.  Sometimes both at the same time, lol.  I was actively rooting for Rose to be killed during the school episode but no such luck.  I've watched through ep 4 "Alone", which I enjoyed because this poor guy (Lance?) was just stumbling his way around after losing his group.  Luckily he can run fast.   I did laugh when he swung the axe and got it stuck in the fencing; that was very realistic.  Run, Lance, run!

The zombies are also very, very persistent and athletic.  I find that very scary as well.  In other shows they are easily distracted and/or wander away after a while.  Not on this show! 

I read that this is set in the same universe as Z Nation; the very beginnings of that outbreak.  The two shows could not be more tonally different but that's OK.  I'm looking forward to finishing this up in time for S2.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, raven said:

I like this part too.  I've started S1 and my opinion varies between "holy hell these people are stupid" to really enjoying it.  Sometimes both at the same time, lol.  I was actively rooting for Rose to be killed during the school episode but no such luck.  I've watched through ep 4 "Alone", which I enjoyed because this poor guy (Lance?) was just stumbling his way around after losing his group.  Luckily he can run fast.   I did laugh when he swung the axe and got it stuck in the fencing; that was very realistic.  Run, Lance, run!

The zombies are also very, very persistent and athletic.  I find that very scary as well.  In other shows they are easily distracted and/or wander away after a while.  Not on this show! 

I read that this is set in the same universe as Z Nation; the very beginnings of that outbreak.  The two shows could not be more tonally different but that's OK.  I'm looking forward to finishing this up in time for S2.

That episode really had me on the edge of my seat.  

I loved it when he was on top of the bus, woke up, and that tenacious zombie was still down there waiting for him.  

And when the zombie came into the grocery store, I was practically holding my breath waiting for it to find Lance. 

This show definitely did not disappoint.  I'm really looking forward to season 2 dropping on June 17th.  I intend to sit my ass in my recliner and binge the whole damned thing.   

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Persnickety1 said:

I intend to sit my ass in my recliner and binge the whole damned thing.   

I ended up doing exactly this for the rest of S1.  Run, Lance, run!  Hope he makes it.  I kind of have a soft spot for him because of his episode - I was nodding my head when he was in the school, trying to shut the world out and reading a book (which didn't last long).

The suspense scenes are really well done.  I was always sure that Rose would survive but the survival of the others had me guessing.

Pretty enjoyable overall.  

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, raven said:

I ended up doing exactly this for the rest of S1.  Run, Lance, run!  Hope he makes it.  I kind of have a soft spot for him because of his episode - I was nodding my head when he was in the school, trying to shut the world out and reading a book (which didn't last long).

The suspense scenes are really well done.  I was always sure that Rose would survive but the survival of the others had me guessing.

Pretty enjoyable overall.  

And I swear I almost had sympathy sweat for the actor having to do all of that running 😂

I loved every episode of season 1, but the Lance episode was the one I found the scariest and really suspenseful.  

I'm going to have to binge season 1 before season 2 drops just to catch myself up on everything that happened.  🍿

• Love 1

Because I clearly have no life outside of my career, I have taken a much-needed day off tomorrow.

Hence I will commence binge watching season 2 as soon as it drops on Netflix at 12:01 am, probably resembling this guy except with a glass of wine in my hand.  

dotdsr.gif

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I started watching the second season. There is so much action that it's hard to keep track of what is going on.

It looks like poor Lance died being a Good Samaritan.

Rose is ruthless.

These zombies are relentless compared to those in The Walking Dead.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, oakville said:

I started watching the second season. There is so much action that it's hard to keep track of what is going on.

Rose is ruthless.

These zombies are relentless compared to those in The Walking Dead.

I marathoned all 8 episodes today.

It even exceeded my expectations.  I hated having to wait so long for it, but it was definitely worth the wait.

I LOVED the way they opened with Lance...and then watched his scenes with my jaw dropped.  

I'm doing a rewatch with Mini Persnickety over the next few nights.  

The zombies in this series are very reminiscent to me of those in the 2004 Dawn of the Dead by Snyder and Gunn.  Mini Persnickety and I had taken off work/school the day it opened, the noon showing at the huge mall theater.  I was almost afraid to walk out of the theater into the open.  I had nightmares for MONTHS after seeing that movie (and yet I watch it every damned time it's on, go figure).  

Edited by Persnickety1
  • Love 5
19 hours ago, oakville said:

And then I was rooting for zombie Lance to tear those two apart.  I'm only 3 episodes in so far but am still pissed off about Lance. 

Grrr.

• Love 4

I watched all the episodes and have some more thoughts - spoilery, so beware!

I do wish the interwebz wouldn't say about this show "no one is safe" because I had no doubt both Rose and Anna would survive, though I grant that Rose was just barely hanging on at the end.   Yes, I'm still a bit bitter over Lance, heh.   I wasn't thrilled to lose Spears/Little James either, though he had a good arc - I really enjoyed his episode with the guy who may have been imaginary - and he, at least, had a good ending which bonus! gave Anna some depth.  

Speaking of Anna, I don't know if anyone here watches TWD but Anna "stay in the lodge room!" is the new Carl "stay in the house".  Rose, for all her momma bear protectiveness, was completely oblivious to Anna scouting the lodge on her own and leaving her sleeping mom with an unlocked door to boot.    Also, am I the only one bored with momma bear protectiveness?  When you hit the extreme of there's nothing someone won't do - I just find that uninteresting - much like evil warlords and such.  Still, Rose tossing dumb Randy down the stairs, though predictable, was kind of fun.

Though incredibly tense, I couldn't help being annoyed during most of the manor scenes when they were whining about being cold and sending dumb Randy out to get what? 3 logs of firewood? when they are literally sitting in a house surrounded by furniture and other items they can burn!! WTF, people!  I'm not usually bothered by people doing dumb stuff in these shows - most people in this kind of crisis would be dumb - but that was jut a a lack of common sense.

I did like Rose and Anna communicating via the card game.

I wish they hadn't had Sun captive for so long.  Yes, she is resilient but after seeing her being capable in S1, this was kind of disappointing.  Hope she's not taking a plane ride to hell BUT it is at least nice that she found someone who understands her and we got subtitles.   I mean, it's nice to drop MREs and weapons but all that stuff was causing people to go to war with each other.  I was wondering if that was their intention.

That lodge was gorgeous!!  I want to go there and sit by the fire and be served food and walk the trails. 

Mance taking out all of those zombies was badass and a well-directed scene.

I know I'm kind of complaining and I did feel that S2 stumbled a bit more than S1, but overall I really enjoyed it.  The acting is really good, the visuals are excellent and the zombies are terrifying.   I still find the zombies scarier than the living thugs because they are so damned hard to kill.   A successful head shot at a screaming banshee running full throttle at you is not as easy as these shows like us to think it is.

• Love 7
(edited)
3 hours ago, raven said:

I watched all the episodes and have some more thoughts - spoilery, so beware!

I do wish the interwebz wouldn't say about this show "no one is safe" because I had no doubt both Rose and Anna would survive, though I grant that Rose was just barely hanging on at the end.   Yes, I'm still a bit bitter over Lance, heh.   I wasn't thrilled to lose Spears/Little James either, though he had a good arc - I really enjoyed his episode with the guy who may have been imaginary - and he, at least, had a good ending which bonus! gave Anna some depth.  

Speaking of Anna, I don't know if anyone here watches TWD but Anna "stay in the lodge room!" is the new Carl "stay in the house".  Rose, for all her momma bear protectiveness, was completely oblivious to Anna scouting the lodge on her own and leaving her sleeping mom with an unlocked door to boot.    Also, am I the only one bored with momma bear protectiveness?  When you hit the extreme of there's nothing someone won't do - I just find that uninteresting - much like evil warlords and such.  Still, Rose tossing dumb Randy down the stairs, though predictable, was kind of fun.

Though incredibly tense, I couldn't help being annoyed during most of the manor scenes when they were whining about being cold and sending dumb Randy out to get what? 3 logs of firewood? when they are literally sitting in a house surrounded by furniture and other items they can burn!! WTF, people!  I'm not usually bothered by people doing dumb stuff in these shows - most people in this kind of crisis would be dumb - but that was jut a a lack of common sense.

I did like Rose and Anna communicating via the card game.

I wish they hadn't had Sun captive for so long.  Yes, she is resilient but after seeing her being capable in S1, this was kind of disappointing.  Hope she's not taking a plane ride to hell BUT it is at least nice that she found someone who understands her and we got subtitles.   I mean, it's nice to drop MREs and weapons but all that stuff was causing people to go to war with each other.  I was wondering if that was their intention.

That lodge was gorgeous!!  I want to go there and sit by the fire and be served food and walk the trails. 

Mance taking out all of those zombies was badass and a well-directed scene.

I know I'm kind of complaining and I did feel that S2 stumbled a bit more than S1, but overall I really enjoyed it.  The acting is really good, the visuals are excellent and the zombies are terrifying.   I still find the zombies scarier than the living thugs because they are so damned hard to kill.   A successful head shot at a screaming banshee running full throttle at you is not as easy as these shows like us to think it is.

Those zombies are horrifying, from the way they look to the growling to the ability to run faster than humanly possible, and their tenaciousness all add up to make them my worst nightmare.  

LOL about Freddy and the firewood.  Having had to rely on a wood stove for heat, those 3-4 small apparently pine logs he grabbed wouldn't last for an hour's worth of heat.  And why the fresh hell wait until DARK to go fetch the wood?  I mean, yeah, the zombies are going to be out there no matter if it's day or night, but I'd prefer sunlight and the ability to see where one is coming from so I can run my ass off.  I'd have brought in wood all throughout the day whenever the coast was clear.  

I loved it when Rose tossed him down the stairs, too.  He'd been shot and would be turning at any time.  Ain't nobody got time for that shit, Freddy, get your ass into the basement so I can lock your ass in there.  

I was sad about Lance, too...but I did love zombie Lance and I was so happy with the "Lemons" segment.  

Anna driving off was a good decision.  I was hoping the writers wouldn't have her trying to drag her soon-to-be-dead-and-zombified mom into the car and ride off into the sunset.  Rose was *thisclose* to death and turning.  Anna did the right thing.  (ETA - I just realized that a parting shot of a zombified Rose chasing after Anna's car would have been great.)

That lodge was incredible but sadly it was just a matter of time before the zombies found their way in.  That being said, my ass would have still stayed there until the zombies did make their way in.  Hot showers, coffee, food galore and those spectacular panoramic views?  Yeah, I'd be staying until forced to abandon it.  

And I cannot believe with all of the horror this season brought, I was smiling at the end when I saw Sun's final scene.  After she took one for the team and saved Spears but sacrificed her own well-being, she deserved that happy ending.  Well, as happy as one could get under these circumstances.  After all my whining last season that Netflix was too cheap to hire a Korean interpreter so we could understand what Sun was saying, I took this scene a little personally since apparently it was a part of the plot all along 😂

I'm going to put this in spoilers just in case...

Spoiler

Since pretty much the only two with a chance of survival were Sun and Anna, I wonder if there will be a season 3.  Maybe if they focused on Anna and with whom she met up after driving off, it could work.  I hope there is a season 3 with whatever the writers can come up with....and I hope we don't have to wait 2 years for it.  

Edited by Persnickety1
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Persnickety1 said:

LOL about Freddy and the firewood.

Oops, Freddy, not Randy as I called him.  LOL.   I thought the same thing - instead of sitting around all day, how about bringing all of the wood into the house?  Or at least to the porch? 

Regarding Anna at the end, I thought she pulled the car over and stopped where her mother was lying.  I'll be watching again anyway - I didn't think she drove away; that it was left open ended.  Rose had a bad leg injury but I didn't think it was a given that she was going to die.  

• Love 6
19 hours ago, raven said:

Oops, Freddy, not Randy as I called him.  LOL.   I thought the same thing - instead of sitting around all day, how about bringing all of the wood into the house?  Or at least to the porch? 

Regarding Anna at the end, I thought she pulled the car over and stopped where her mother was lying.  I'll be watching again anyway - I didn't think she drove away; that it was left open ended.  Rose had a bad leg injury but I didn't think it was a given that she was going to die.  

Oh, let me know about the final scene with Anna.  I thought she had pulled over in that area but then drove off again.  I'm doing an episode-a-day rewatch with Mini Persnickety and we're only up episode 4, I believe.  The action was so intense that it's entirely possible I just thought she had driven off.  

I've had a couple of Google articles come up on my phone where it's getting great reviews and requests for a season 3.  This season really delivered.  

• Love 3

I think the ending was left open ended with Anna and Rose.  I will say I probably cared less about them than most of the other folks.  Lance, Mance, Sun and Spears all really resonated with me.  Lance was both a nice guy and a seriously extreme zombie.  He was not going to stop. 

Spears bottle episode (as much as this show does one) was intense.  Justin Chu Cary was incredible in every scene.  His is now a career I want to follow. Spears knowing he is slowly dying, his interactions with Braithwaite, were so intense.  I really wanted him to somehow survive.  

Rose's mama bear act was too much.  The way she reacted at the house was so poor.  She's there with a mother and two sons who seem very unstable, so she antagonizes them.  I can see remaining strong and forceful, but don't make things worse.  There were a few times with her and Anna in particular where I felt like they should just have a discussion.  "Mom, Spears was dying.  He knew he was.  He said these things to me, asking me to kill him, because he couldn't do it himself."  "Mom, I don't want you killing a stranger who is trying to help us.  You're exhausted and traumatized and not making sense."  Yes, I realize I am asking people in an OTT stressful situation to make calm and rational choices. But with the two of them there were a few too many times when I wanted to yell, "Use your words!"

That lodge looked pretty nice.  I would have stayed for a few days at least to get stronger, rest up, eat more, etc.  Also pack more food to take with them.  One little packet of meat is only going to last so long. There were likely dried goods and canned goods they could have taken with them.  Mini bars usually come with all kinds of easily transportable snacks.

I did appreciate that unlike other shows people looked filthy.  Their hair and beards grew or it had been cut.  Not a lot of folks with custom highlights and beachy waves. 

This season was a great ride.  I want more!

• Love 7
On 6/3/2021 at 6:03 PM, raven said:

I always thought that z nation was a comedy.

On 6/17/2021 at 10:48 PM, Persnickety1 said:

I marathoned all 8 episodes today.

It even exceeded my expectations.  I hated having to wait so long for it, but it was definitely worth the wait.

I LOVED the way they opened with Lance...and then watched his scenes with my jaw dropped.  

I'm doing a rewatch with Mini Persnickety over the next few nights.  

The zombies in this series are very reminiscent to me of those in the 2004 Dawn of the Dead by Snyder and Gunn.  Mini Persnickety and I had taken off work/school the day it opened, the noon showing at the huge mall theater.  I was almost afraid to walk out of the theater into the open.  I had nightmares for MONTHS after seeing that movie (and yet I watch it every damned time it's on, go figure).  

I watched all of them yesterday and I was good and wanted more!!! :(

• Love 2
18 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

Rose's mama bear act was too much.  The way she reacted at the house was so poor.  She's there with a mother and two sons who seem very unstable, so she antagonizes them.  I can see remaining strong and forceful, but don't make things worse.  There were a few times with her and Anna in particular where I felt like they should just have a discussion.  "Mom, Spears was dying.  He knew he was.  He said these things to me, asking me to kill him, because he couldn't do it himself."  "Mom, I don't want you killing a stranger who is trying to help us.  You're exhausted and traumatized and not making sense."  Yes, I realize I am asking people in an OTT stressful situation to make calm and rational choices. But with the two of them there were a few too many times when I wanted to yell, "Use your words!"

She could be really extreme.  I was kind of horrified when she was going to kill the guy (whose name escapes me) who took her and Anna to the lodge.  Even if he were batshit crazy and there was no lodge and no airstrip connection, why kill the guy?  He wasn't a danger to anyone and he'd done nothing inappropriate towards anyone, including her and Anna.  I was hoping if she killed him, she would then see the top of the lodge in the distance or something similar so she could feel some guilt because that dude had done nothing to warrant execution.  

35 minutes ago, Nicmar said:

I always thought that z nation was a comedy.

I watched several random episodes of Z Nation and whilst a lot of it was rather tongue in cheek and over the top, it had terrifying moments, too.  I'd have trouble putting it into either a comedy or horror category.  Ultimately, that's why I couldn't stick with the watching the show.  

Maybe at some point I'll try giving it a re-watch.

If anyone is looking for another pretty good zombie program, check out "Reality Z" on Netflix.  It's the Brazilian version of "Deadset" and it definitely held my attention.  I think there are 10 episodes.  I enjoyed the original Deadset, but I found RealityZ to be even better.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Persnickety1 said:

She could be really extreme.  I was kind of horrified when she was going to kill the guy (whose name escapes me) who took her and Anna to the lodge.  Even if he were batshit crazy and there was no lodge and no airstrip connection, why kill the guy?  He wasn't a danger to anyone and he'd done nothing inappropriate towards anyone, including her and Anna.  I was hoping if she killed him, she would then see the top of the lodge in the distance or something similar so she could feel some guilt because that dude had done nothing to warrant execution.  

I watched several random episodes of Z Nation and whilst a lot of it was rather tongue in cheek and over the top, it had terrifying moments, too.  I'd have trouble putting it into either a comedy or horror category.  Ultimately, that's why I couldn't stick with the watching the show.  

Maybe at some point I'll try giving it a re-watch.

If anyone is looking for another pretty good zombie program, check out "Reality Z" on Netflix.  It's the Brazilian version of "Deadset" and it definitely held my attention.  I think there are 10 episodes.  I enjoyed the original Deadset, but I found RealityZ to be even better.  

I saw reality Z and it was good!!!

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, Nicmar said:

I saw reality Z and it was good!!!

Had you seen Deadset, too?  If so, I'd be curious to know how you thought the two compared.  I'm with the Brazilian version, Reality Z, but Deadset was good, too.  If you haven't seen Deadset, I think it's definitely worth a watch.  

2 hours ago, Persnickety1 said:

Had you seen Deadset, too?  If so, I'd be curious to know how you thought the two compared.  I'm with the Brazilian version, Reality Z, but Deadset was good, too.  If you haven't seen Deadset, I think it's definitely worth a watch.  

I have seen part of dead set and not all of it but I need to rewatch it again.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Persnickety1 said:

I was kind of horrified when she was going to kill the guy (whose name escapes me) who took her and Anna to the lodge. 

Boone, I think his name was.  I agree with you - I was shocked that she was going to kill him there.  The people in the manor I could understand - they were unstable and that was a powder keg getting ready to go.  The show has to give me something other than "I'll protect my kid at all costs" if they want me to stay interested in a character.  Then again, I was the least interested in Rose in S1 as well, heh.

On 6/20/2021 at 3:51 PM, PrincessPurrsALot said:

Spears knowing he is slowly dying, his interactions with Braithwaite, were so intense.  I really wanted him to somehow survive.  

I loved this episode.  I've read a theory that Braithwaite was all in his head and it kind of make sense.  What are the chances of the guy you shot as a kid finding you in this scenario?  Yes, Braithwaite gives him a bottle of water but he (Spears) could have gotten that from the overturned car.  Spears kills the zombie trapped under the tree - a lot of the action was precipitated by Spears.  I thought it was an interesting theory and I can see arguments on both sides.  The ending with the horse and Braithwaite walking off after a tear rolling down his cheek was really well done.

Z Nation is a zombie show with a lot of comedic elements.  I wouldn't call it just a comedy as there is a lot of action and drama as well.  The tone is very different from Black Summer.  I prefer the first couple of seasons of Z Nation; it gets progressively campier as it goes on.

If you haven't seen Deadset, I think it's definitely worth a watch.

I second this - I really enjoyed it.  I haven't seen Reality Z so will have to check it out.  I've just started the second season of Kingdom on Netflix, which is very good.  It is heavy on political themes and the actions of the people in power are definitely just as shocking/scary as the zombies in this one.

• Useful 1
(edited)

Z Nation is a zombie show with a lot of comedic elements.  I wouldn't call it just a comedy as there is a lot of action and drama as well.  The tone is very different from Black Summer.  I prefer the first couple of seasons of Z Nation; it gets progressively campier as it goes on.

Thank you, that's exactly how I wanted to describe it but couldn't find the right word, "campier."

I can appreciate well-done humor in a horror movie (I thought Shaun of the Dead combined the two elements extremely well), but there started to be too much camp in Z Nation for my taste and I lost interest.  

In my re-watch of Black Summer season 2 with Mini Persnickety, we're up to the airstrip finale and will be watching that episode tonight.  I've warned her the action is nonstop so she needs to be fully awake and watching every second of the episode to make sure she doesn't miss anything.  I'm proud of myself in that, as tempting as it is, I haven't given her any spoilers 😄

Edited by Persnickety1
  • Love 2

Boone, I think his name was.  I agree with you - I was shocked that she was going to kill him there.  The people in the manor I could understand - they were unstable and that was a powder keg getting ready to go.  The show has to give me something other than "I'll protect my kid at all costs" if they want me to stay interested in a character.  Then again, I was the least interested in Rose in S1 as well, heh.

I loved this episode.  I've read a theory that Braithwaite was all in his head and it kind of make sense.  What are the chances of the guy you shot as a kid finding you in this scenario?  Yes, Braithwaite gives him a bottle of water but he (Spears) could have gotten that from the overturned car.  Spears kills the zombie trapped under the tree - a lot of the action was precipitated by Spears.  I thought it was an interesting theory and I can see arguments on both sides.  The ending with the horse and Braithwaite walking off after a tear rolling down his cheek was really well done.

I second this - I really enjoyed it.  I haven't seen Reality Z so will have to check it out.  I've just started the second season of Kingdom on Netflix, which is very good.  It is heavy on political themes and the actions of the people in power are definitely just as shocking/scary as the zombies in this one.

Rose wanting to kill Boone was all kinds of f'd up.  He seemed like a very friendly, lonely guy who was trying to align with some people for both safety and companionship.  He never gave Rose a reason to doubt his intentions, but she was so sure everyone was after her daughter.  Which raises something I enjoyed in this show.  There was not a constant threat of rape.  So many shows use that as the only way to show a female character in danger or having a reason for trauma.  There was plenty of trauma to go around here, regardless of gender.  There were unrelentless, high speed zombies, suicides, lack of food, lack of sleep, no safety, people with guns who were using them to shoot people, kidnapping, extreme cold . . .  I think that's enough for everyone to be beyond rational.  Boone seemed a bit off his rocker but in a harmless, amiable way.  

While I usually hate the trope of people seeing dead people, I really enjoyed the Spears and Braithwaite episode.  Spears had shot Braithwaite in the back twice and left him for dead back in the day (pre-apocalypse), so I can respect the theory that he is actually dead.  I noticed how Spears did all the actions.  He had to kill crushed zombie to get the backpack.  It was a really effective episode working through his thought processes that then culminated in his actions and decisions at the lodge. 

Z Nation was meant to be more of a comedy.  I will forever laugh at the recurring zombie encrusted giant wheel of cheese that started rolling in Wisconsin.  

• Love 2

I loved the entire Spears/Braithwaite episode, too.  And it made sense in that Spears was dying at that point and I'm sure many things from his past were haunting one, and shooting Braithwaite was undoubtedly at the top of the list of things he regretted.  

And poor Boone.  When they first arrived at the ridge but the lodge wasn't there, I thought at the worst he was just a touch crazy and imagined the whole lodge/airstrip scenario but he was harmless, so why kill him?  I was glad Anna stepped in before Rose could shoot the poor guy.  I never did hear Rose offer up an apology for her actions, though.  I did laugh when she decided not to shoot him and instead tossed him her pack and told him to carry her shit, though.  I would have been happy if the entire wanting to shoot him scene had been cut and Rose just thinking he was a loon and demoting him to carrier of the shit.  That seemed a much better suited punishment than killing him.  

I agree about the lack of threat of rape.   Even with Sun being held hostage, they avoided that particular threat.  At first I thought that Sonny was giving Anna the rapey eyes, but then it turned out he was just trying to coerce her into going out to help with the supply run and firewood gathering so she would be a zombie victim.  I found that angle much more intriguing than the usual "she had to shoot him because he tried to rape her daughter" schtick.  

I'm looking forward to watching the airstrip episode again tonight.  The action was so fast and furious I'm sure I missed quite a few details so I'll be on my proverbial toes tonight.  

• Love 1

Just finished watching season 2. I was very disappointed that we got so little of the group together, especially Rose and Spears. There was too much time wasted on people I wasn’t  remotely invested in like those jackasses Sonny and his family.

The one ep we got of Rose and Spears glowering at each other across the table was excellent. I loved her apology that was bookended by, “I’m sorry” and “I’m not sorry”. I also would’ve liked to have seen the new group dynamic with Anna. Spears made me laugh when he was talking to Anna… “That’s why I fucks with you. You stay ready.” I was PISSED that they killed him off.

Anna at the lodge was well written and really suspenseful. They had me looking at the light under the door like it was the scariest thing ever.

I have to confess I thought Brathewaite was alive the entire time up until Spears showed up at the lodge alone. The ep with those two guys was excellent.

Season one Lance would NEVER have stopped to help that woman. Season two Lance did and it got him killed immediately. He somehow managed to be a more annoying zombie than he was a human.

I’m glad Sun got a happy ending.

In Black Summer, do people turn into zombies as soon as they die, even if they don't get bit, like in Walking Dead?  That seems to be the case, but I wasn't sure -- it never really gets mentioned. 

• Love 1
On 7/7/2021 at 9:06 AM, Sundazed said:

In Black Summer, do people turn into zombies as soon as they die, even if they don't get bit, like in Walking Dead?  That seems to be the case, but I wasn't sure -- it never really gets mentioned. 

yes they turn immediately when bitten

• Love 1
On 6/21/2021 at 9:13 AM, Persnickety1 said:

I enjoyed that a lot but prefer Dead Set. 

On 7/7/2021 at 7:06 AM, Sundazed said:

They turn immediately, I believe, no matter how they die

I recall when those guys shot Boone at the airstrip, they were getting ready to take a head shot, but the leader told them to let him turn.  

8 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I enjoyed that a lot but prefer Dead Set. 

I need to watch Dead Set again.  

Out of curiosity, may I ask if you watched the American version of "Alive" and the Korean version of that same flick?  

I watched both and much preferred the Korean version.  I'm curious to see if other zombie flick fans have a preference.  

(edited)
27 minutes ago, Persnickety1 said:

They turn immediately, I believe, no matter how they die

I recall when those guys shot Boone at the airstrip, they were getting ready to take a head shot, but the leader told them to let him turn.  

I need to watch Dead Set again.  

Out of curiosity, may I ask if you watched the American version of "Alive" and the Korean version of that same flick?  

I watched both and much preferred the Korean version.  I'm curious to see if other zombie flick fans have a preference.  

I saw both and I also preferred the Korean version. 

I thought I saw the American version, but after googling it, I didn't. Not sure what I was thinking about. I'll have to watch it and see what I think. There was another zombie movie that I saw two versions of. I think it was Night Eats the World. 

I did enjoy #Alive though. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I saw both and I also preferred the Korean version. 

I thought I saw the American version, but after googling it, I didn't. Not sure what I was thinking about. I'll have to watch it and see what I think. There was another zombie movie that I saw two versions of. I think it was Night Eats the World. 

I did enjoy #Alive though. 

It was so crazy that I didn't watch the American version of Alive until 2-3 months after I saw the Korean version and never put the two together.  

I was sitting here watching it and getting this really weird sense of deja vu.  My daughter came into the room and I said, "Hey, am I crazier than I thought or have we seen this before but with different people in it?"  

It happened right at the failed suicide scene and she immediately recognized it as being from the Korean Alive.  

No wonder I had deja vu.  The two movies were practically identical scene-to-scene.  My son-in-law even pointed out the prop placements (refrigerator, etc.) were almost identical to the Korean version.  

I liked the characters much more in the Korean version and was really rooting for them.  I found them both quite charming.  

I'll have to check out Night Eats the World.  I'm always on the lookout for zombie entertainment.  

• Love 1
Just now, Persnickety1 said:

It was so crazy that I didn't watch the American version of Alive until 2-3 months after I saw the Korean version and never put the two together.  

I was sitting here watching it and getting this really weird sense of deja vu.  My daughter came into the room and I said, "Hey, am I crazier than I thought or have we seen this before but with different people in it?"  

It happened right at the failed suicide scene and she immediately recognized it as being from the Korean Alive.  

No wonder I had deja vu.  The two movies were practically identical scene-to-scene.  My son-in-law even pointed out the prop placements (refrigerator, etc.) were almost identical to the Korean version.  

I liked the characters much more in the Korean version and was really rooting for them.  I found them both quite charming.  

I'll have to check out Night Eats the World.  I'm always on the lookout for zombie entertainment.  

That is too funny. I have had it happen to me. 

I'm looking into Night Eats the World and I don't think that is the one with the remake. Now it is going to drive me crazy. I know it wasn't Alone because I don't remember Donald Sutherland! Arghhhh. I don't think it is Rec/Quarantine, it was something more recent. 

Eh, I'll think of it when I wake up at 2am! 

• Love 1

Does anyone know the name and location of the ski lodge that Boone led them to? I know the series was filmed in Alberta, but I would love to know if you could actually go to that lodge. I wouldn't even mind some zombie ghosts.

I just found this great guide to the filming locations, including photos. The lodge is actually the Nakoda Lakeside Lodge, 50 miles west of Calgary. https://www.atlasofwonders.com/2019/04/black-summer-filming-locations.html

Edited by Paloma
Answered my own question
  • Love 3