Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E18: Welcome to the Surprise

• Start Topic

When Calvin receives a surprise birthday gift involving his father, Dave suggests they spend the day celebrating in a way that honors the late Butler patriarch. Also, an unexpected development changes the Johnsons' lives forever.

Airdate: 05/17/2021

Note: This is the season finale. 

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I knew that urn was going into the water the second they got to the pier.

Me too! Plus baby? Not happy with that.

This was a pleasant enough show, but not something I’ll miss based on the direction it’s now going.

I admit I wasn’t paying especially close attention but I had assumed that Calvin and Dave were taking the ashes to the pier to scatter them in dad’s favorite spot. So I figured Dave just skipped a step. But I guess not? They were just bringing “dad” along for an outing?

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I admit I wasn’t paying especially close attention but I had assumed that Calvin and Dave were taking the ashes to the pier to scatter them in dad’s favorite spot. So I figured Dave just skipped a step. But I guess not? They were just bringing “dad” along for an outing?

Yeah, he used to go fishing with his dad, so they went fishing with his dad.

• Love 2

I'm not crazy about the baby storyline but I did love the scene at the pharmacy with everyone showing up and seeing Gemma's basket filled with pregnancy tests. Grover's "how many babies are you planning on having?!" cracked me up. 

• Love 6

Why does every CBS show's finale sucks lately? This, Bob hearts Abishola, Mom...the storyline about losing the ashes was not fun, and no one is excited about Gemma getting pregnant. I am really curious about what kind of changes the new showrunner will make next season.

"Black people don't cremate their loved ones." So many of my relatives are cremated, including my father. You can cremate someone and bury the ashes, which is what we did with my grandparents and what we will do with my father (he has been cremated but not yet buried).

8 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Dammit.  I hoped they'd at least drag out the baby thing instead of jumping right to it.  Well, really, I hoped they wouldn't go there, but here we are.

UGH. I know. I'm not into it at all. And babies are usually a last-ditch save the show effort; is the show in trouble? I didn't think so.

• Love 2

I knew Calvin's dad's urn was going into the water, but I did not expect it to go in the way it did, so kudos for surprising me on that.  When Calvin was struggling to pull up what ended up being the tire at the end, I figured it was going to be the urn.  Yeah, the tire was a cliche, but Calvin taking it back to his shop to sell was funny, and ultimately better than pulling up the urn itself.

I was craving beef jerky after the show!

• Love 5