Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E04: Time Machine

• Start Topic

Driving the Time Bandit and Cornelia Marie, Josh and Casey attempt Johnathan's strategy for tracking King Crab across time and space. On the Summer Bay, Wild Bill's crew fights a mid-gale power outage, but the days are numbered for their greenhorn.

Not sure about the Fourth Dimension, but I know the Fifth Dimension and they sure could sang purty.

Dirty Harry strikes again: "A man's gotsta know his limitations."  I respect Blake for toughing it out.  I liked Bill appreciating that the lad gave what he had.  Then again, I've always seen him as a fair guy.  He's had some moments, but in the end he does right by his guys who respect him.

Disco in the first half of this ep tried to keep up the fallacy of future Red harvests being limited.  In the second half, that narrative was only about Bairdi.    Hard to speak ominously when all the F/Vs catch their quota, eh?

I was happily stunned to see Freddie featured.  

2 hours ago, Lamima said:

I missed Freddie in the episode. When was it?

Jon turned the TB over to Josh to run for a string. Despite having been recruited as a desperately needed "relief" skipper, he apparently had never bothered to sit behind the wheel up to that point, until Jonathan basically announced he was doing it.  He pulled up so far off the bag that Freddie missed it with the hook. They joked that Freddie hadn't missed in 20 years until Josh was driving.

1 hour ago, kassa said:

Jon turned the TB over to Josh to run for a string. Despite having been recruited as a desperately needed "relief" skipper, he apparently had never bothered to sit behind the wheel up to that point, until Jonathan basically announced he was doing it.  He pulled up so far off the bag that Freddie missed it with the hook. They joked that Freddie hadn't missed in 20 years until Josh was driving.

Freddie really tried. He really threw it. 

14 hours ago, kassa said:

Jon turned the TB over to Josh to run for a string. Despite having been recruited as a desperately needed "relief" skipper, he apparently had never bothered to sit behind the wheel up to that point, until Jonathan basically announced he was doing it

And boy does it show he doesn't really drive the CM either.    I think he only does the CM when they were moving between strings.   He might stand at the controls when they are setting pots, but I think that is just editing, Casey does the real maneuvering to make sure they set right.   You could telll he had no idea about controlling speed or maneuvering.   So I think he just hauls ass between strings and calls that "driving the boat."

When Jonathan said he would be driving, Tweedledum looked really confused.   Like "you want me to actually do the real work of a driving a boat while hauling?"   Jonathan was trying to cover by saying how the controls were different than the CM but could they have been THAT different?   I mean every boat has its quirks but not a widespread different in actual controls.   

• Love 4
2 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Jonathan was trying to cover by saying how the controls were different than the CM but could they have been THAT different?   I mean every boat has its quirks but not a widespread different in actual controls.   

I've rented a lot of cars over the years.  The controls can be in a different place, depending on the car (headlights, radio, etc.).  But anyone with a grain of sense figures it out by the time they leave the rental car lot. 

And things OUTSIDE the car are the same.  Josh not only didn't seem to know how to steer over to get near enough to the pots so Freddy could throw the rope out and pull one in.  He looked like he just didn't know that you have to move closer to the pot.  

Lest we forget, there are many tasks critical to the operation of a crab boat at which Josh excels. Among them:

• Knowing the position of the camera at all times.
  • Moving his hands over levers and knobs without actually disturbing them..
  • Always staying in a well-lit area so the camera can get a good shot.
  • Appearing on deck for 3.76 minutes so the camera crew can show him "helping out" with the pots.
  • Throwing in an occasional nautical term so the audience will be impressed.
  • Including a fawning reference to "the old man" at least once in every episode. (Accompanied by angelic music and a pic of Phil.)
  • Sitting behind the controls while the boat travels to the next location on autopilot.
  • Remembering that he is there to star in a TV show, NOT TO CATCH CRAB!
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
On 5/13/2021 at 10:09 AM, AZChristian said:

I've rented a lot of cars over the years.  The controls can be in a different place, depending on the car (headlights, radio, etc.).  But anyone with a grain of sense figures it out by the time they leave the rental car lot.  

And one thing that the show has taught us is that these guys tend to be gearheads. Finding themselves a passenger on any boat in the fleet, you KNOW they'd be itching to try out driving, just to appreciate the different feel/handle, and master it.  The less like their OWN boat, the MORE they'd want to drive.

His disinterest is palpable. 

• Love 3