Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E12: I Was Made to Love You

• Start Topic

Hope's suspicion is piqued after Wade shares some startling news with her; to uncover the secrets of a mysterious artifact, Alaric must work with an enemy from his past; MG is forced to make a difficult decision.

Promo:

Original air date: 5/13/21

Okay I may need to watch that again. I am not sure if that was a really good episode with some interesting twists or a bad episode with some good twists. Or maybe once I watch the episode again I will really be able to decide.

Not sure what to think of Cleo twist. Need to see how that plays out. Both Landon twists were brought up before so weren’t too surprising but so doesn’t mean that is bad.

The Ethan twist was where I feared this story might g but the actors really brought it. I almost think this could be the start of a possible evil Ethan turn at some point.

it’s what happened with Cleo, I am kind of worried for Lizzie for some reason.

Hopefully this is the end of Ted/Necromancer and if it is it is a good end. Kind of sad he has almost as many father/daughter talks with Josie as Alaric.

For the love of God, stop trying to make Finch and Josie happen. Or at least stop trying so hard. Seriously the ‘explosive’ kiss was jus bad and not even Josie’s best kiss on the show. 

• Love 3

Okay, sometimes I call things correctly, but I've been on FIRE this season.

On 3/22/2021 at 11:02 AM, Chris24601 said:

Basically, if they wanted Cleo to come off as just an empathetic person interested in really helping Hope, they’d have needed a bigger time jump (a year+) with Hope still holding onto the loss. Pulling that when Hope is barely a week past leaving the Denial stage of loss just makes it look like she’s got an agenda that isn’t actually in Hope’s interests.

On 3/25/2021 at 11:21 PM, Chris24601 said:

Despite the monster prowling in the woods, why am I almost certain that Landon ISN'T actually back; or at least not back properly? Why do I find it MORE likely that the guy in the skull mask is the actual Landon?

On 4/15/2021 at 10:49 PM, Chris24601 said:

Welp, I called it on Cleo (or perhaps we should spell it Clio after the actual one) being a Muse and I think the explanation behind the mystery box is that Cleo was actually trapped inside it... serving as inspiration for everyone who possessed it she’s older than she seems.

On 5/7/2021 at 12:26 AM, Chris24601 said:

Second, it’s a good thing vampire blood can heal or MG’s sidekick would be absolutely hosed. It’s a bad thing because it means MG is probably about to compel him to forget for his own safety, but also that Ethan’s probably going to end up dying with vampire blood in his system in the very near future so that everyone ends up under the Salvatore roof by the end of the season.

Final two thoughts... first, so apparently Leonardo deVinci was a witch in the TVD-verse. That would mean he was stuck on the Other Side in Ketsiah’s purgatory until just a decade or so ago and, if anyone could have found a way out before it collapsed, it’d be Leo the mad genius. I would not be surprised to see him eventually.

To which I say "Excellent work, Legacies writers." These days setting up foreshadowing five episodes ahead and making it clear enough you could predict it ahead of time without being 100% certain takes real talent; particularly when the trend in a lot of entertainment is to go for the subversion for the shock value.

The first quote up there is from all way back in Cleo's second episode and it was already clear she was up to something and, as it turns out now, there was actually a reason for the creepiness of Cleo's actions with the statue made from clay and Landon goo being used as a golem by Cleo. And we've seen a Landon golem made before with Josie and Lizzie's attempt to destroy the season two Malivore Pit using clay and blood so GolemLandon here was actually set up entirely by previously established elements.

We also have confirmation that all it takes for Hope to become a vampire is die and that she really doesn't want that even though it will make her, in her own words, even stronger than she is now and Cleo's convinced that Hope dying to activate her vampire side is what it will actually take to permanently destroy Malivore and that Cleo (or Clio) needs that to happen to be free of the object that's been the season's McGuffin.

With Finch and Josie going back to the Salvatore School and Ethan finally getting compelled to forget, I suspect this is the end of Ethan's arc. Without Josie at Mystic Falls High, MG sticking around without anyone else to really interact with doesn't make much sense so I give it maybe one episode before he comes back to the Salvatore School.

Even the Leonardo DaVinci bit got paid off with an appearance and as the reveal that Cleo was old enough to be known to a guy who's been dead for five centuries.

So, while it had a bit of slump after the leftovers of s2 were played through and the real s3 was kicking off, the slower burn setup of those early episodes was paid off quite well this evening.

• Love 3
(edited)

I kept thinking of the BtVS episode with the same title every time I saw this episode thread!

Awwww, I loved MG and Ethan's friendship so much. They were right - they both needed a friend. It makes me even sadder that it ended this way. They both cared enough about each other to risk their lives to help the other person and now they're going to go back to being strangers. I loved that MG didn't just compel Ethan to forget about the supernatural world but that he also compelled him to feel good and never hurt himself. I know the Damon/Alaric bromance had a lot of fans on TVD but MG and Ethan had an even better relationship thanks to neither of them trying to murder the other.

I kept waiting for Ted to reveal that he'd been pretending all along not to be the Necromancer. I mean, seriously, Alaric and Jo? All he had to do was say, "I'm not who you think I am!" and then not try to kill you for five whole minutes and you believe him? Especially after he did, in fact, raise the dead? When he laughed at the guy in the coffin blowing up, I was sure he would say that he couldn't pretend any longer. But apparently my suspicions were incorrect and Ted really was just Ted without any memories of being the Necromancer. I loved that after he sacrificed himself, he said he had accomplished his mission in this life.

I'm all for Josie having a girlfriend but I have no interest in Finch. Despite the fact that she's a werewolf, she's the least interesting love interest that Josie has had in three seasons.

Usually I like being right (and I'm fine with my predictions about Cleo being shady/up to something and Landon not really being Landon), but I'm sad that I was right about Ethan wanting to be turned and MG eventually having to compel him to forget their friendship.

On 3/20/2021 at 3:55 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Cleo was on my monster radar as soon as she told Hope she needed to move on from Landon. Cleo said she's only known Hope for a few days which means that Landon has been dead for a week or two at this point. That is not a long time to process your grief, so I was already like ugh, STFU, Cleo.

Even worse, her idea to use his ashes to make art? JFC, Cleo!

Now Cleo knows that Malivore is Landon's father AND she has the bust made out of Landon's ashes. I don't find that totally suspect at all. I'm sure that won't end up playing a role in whatever evil fuckery she's up to.

Since she said her two sisters died, I'm guessing she's one of the muses (and one of them is named Clio!) and like the German guy, she's possibly at the Salvatore School for revenge. Whatever her plan is, I'm sure it's nothing good for Hope or anyone. The fact that she blew up the leprechaun sealed the deal for me.

On 3/27/2021 at 11:17 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I'm not fully convinced that the Landon we're seeing is the real Landon. Maybe watching all of these shows has made me paranoid, but it just seemed a little too easy/convenient. I don't know if it will turn out to be a shadow version of himself, an imposter posing as Landon, or something else but I'm not ready to believe that's the Landon we know back in human form just yet.

On 4/16/2021 at 5:56 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

MG might have to compel him to forget this stuff eventually, but the longer they stay friends the more reluctant he will be to do it. My other theory is that Ethan will grow weary of being the human sidekick and ask MG to turn him.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2

So, I guess Ethan just stopped taking vervain, for some reason? I know that, for the purposes of the plot, Ethan had to be compelled to forget. It still sucks, seeing as Ethan/MG's friendship has been a highlight to this season, and MG has desperately needed more friends for a while. But is this really the end to Ethan's role on this show? Because it's clear that Josie, Finch, and MG will be heading back to the Salvatore School, which means Ethan won't be needed on the show. That's a shame, too. I've grown to really enjoy Ethan, especially since they avoided pairing him off romantically as his main plot. 

I do appreciate this show really going all in with the reveals and not switching things up last minute JUST to trick the audience. A lot of these reveals were predicted earlier on, but it's how they played out that's more important than the reveals themselves. 

The Cleo reveal was very interesting. I guess I had hoped that she wouldn't be revealed as a monster because I've been enjoying her character a lot, especially with Hope and Kaleb, but it makes total sense with how pushy she was with Hope about moving on from Landon the moment they met. And the actress did a great job with the revelation scene.

Landon being Golem Landon was predicted, as was Masked Guy being real Landon. But it worked well, and the actor did a great job as well with portraying both Landons. 

So, I'm definitely confused by the Ted/Necromancer stuff. Was Ted REALLY the real Necromancer? Because he was acting more like how Golem Landon was acting. But at least the actor got to take a break from having to sit through hours of makeup and could just be himself. 

I missed Lizzie and Kaleb this episode, but I appreciate Lizzie coming clean to Josie right away about Finch, which allowed Josie to choose her own path with Finch. Nice job subverting my expectations on that plot, show.

This season has really grown into itself. I've really enjoyed the last few episodes, especially with them successfully foreshadowing plots and showing that this was all planned early on, instead of thrown in last minute for shock.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I do appreciate this show really going all in with the reveals and not switching things up last minute JUST to trick the audience. A lot of these reveals were predicted earlier on, but it's how they played out that's more important than the reveals themselves. 

Ahem, GOSSIP GIRL. What made me really mad about them changing who was originally going to be Gossip Girl is that the only reason people correctly guessed who the first one was is that the writers did their job in their storytelling.

2 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I guess Ethan just stopped taking vervain, for some reason? I know that, for the purposes of the plot, Ethan had to be compelled to forget. It still sucks, seeing as Ethan/MG's friendship has been a highlight to this season, and MG has desperately needed more friends for a while. But is this really the end to Ethan's role on this show? Because it's clear that Josie, Finch, and MG will be heading back to the Salvatore School, which means Ethan won't be needed on the show. That's a shame, too. I've grown to really enjoy Ethan, especially since they avoided pairing him off romantically as his main plot. 

I will laugh so hard if Ethan was faking being compelled again and then he just pops up behind MG at school the next day and says, "What's up, superhero?" I know the Plecverse likes to keep a token human around so that there's a vulnerable person who needs to be protected (Elena, unphoenixed Landon, etc) but in this case I liked that MG and Ethan were able to do things together without Ethan needing to be supernatural. I really didn't want them to turn Ethan into a vampire because I was afraid he would be doing it for the wrong reasons (to go back to playing football, to keep playing superhero with MG, because he didn't like being weak compared to MG) so I appreciate that they kept him human. Of course, just because I said that, next week they'll show that while Ethan was asleep in his truck with vamp blood in his veins, some Malivore monster will attack him or his truck will somehow accidentally drive right off the cliff and he will die and become a vampire. Then he'll come back to life and be mad that MG compelled him to forget their friendship.

• Love 2
On 5/13/2021 at 7:29 PM, ybrik said:

For the love of God, stop trying to make Finch and Josie happen. Or at least stop trying so hard. Seriously the ‘explosive’ kiss was jus bad and not even Josie’s best kiss on the show. 

I don't like Finch at all and cannot figure out what Josie sees in her. I would rather watch Ethan and MG hang out and talk about superheroes then watch Finch and Josie who have zero chemistry. I have to admit, I'm hoping Ethan was faking being compelled and ends up a vampire. 

I liked this episode a lot and enjoyed Ted but please let that be the last of the Necromancer. Move on to something else show.

I'm enjoying Alaric this season and it looks like Matthew is having fun playing him too.

So Hope can get stabbed in the gut and not die?

How many more episodes this season?

• Love 1

My feeling is that Ethan’s story is most likely done because ending the friendship with the painful lesson that Alaric was right means that MG has nothing keeping him at MFHS which frees him to return to the Salvatore School along with Josie (and Finch... which, meh... I think Josie managed better chemistry with Ethan in the hallway lunch scene).

Which is good, because they’re still hovering right at the bare minimum required students and I suspect Cleo won’t be attending much longer.

1 hour ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

So Hope can get stabbed in the gut and not die?

One of the benefits of always having vampire blood in her veins is that Hope has super healing; when Hailey was pregnant with her she also got the same super healing and it’s been addressed in the show as early as S1:E3 when she put a poker through her foot and into the ground beneath it and yet was fine as soon as it was pulled out. That’s also why killing her would just turn her into a vampire instead of sticking (though I doubt she’d be able to keep her magic if that happened so it’d be a net downgrade I think).

Another random observation; with Landon being the masked guy covered in monster trophies (which they made a point of remarking on) it means he’s gotten a fairly solid offscreen upgrade to his ability to fight... which means he’ll much better hold his own going forward... which might also cause friction with Hope actually since she’s always been about keeping him safe and he won’t need her protection anymore.

• Useful 2
16 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I'm definitely confused by the Ted/Necromancer stuff. Was Ted REALLY the real Necromancer?

Yes, he was the Necromancer but without any memory of being the Necromancer. His first memory was when he was working at the ice cream shop a few weeks ago. He was able to revive the dead guy in the coffin. He was later able to understand Italian (despite not knowing how to read it earlier) so he hypothesized, "Perhaps with each dark art I perform, I become more the monster I used to be." I think one of the reasons that he used himself as the human sacrifice to complete the spell was because he said earlier that he didn't want to turn back into the Necromancer after hearing all the awful things he'd done.

• Love 2

Kudos to so may of us calling a lot of these twists, and to the show for going through with its foreshadowing and having its twists work logically with what we have seen before. They did make it a bit more twisty a few times, like how I called Cleo as being up to something right away and then went off that a bit after they had her for awhile longer but it looks like my first instinct was correct. I am very curious about masked Landon and why he has been stalking everyone without showing who he really is and what happened to him. Landon being a Golem does really line up, and while I have never been a fan of Hope and Landon, despite liking them both as individual characters, this could be a good way to give them a more interesting story as a couple. Especially if Landon has since become some kind of demon slaying masked badass, that could really change the dynamic between him and Hope if he no longer needs her to protect him the way he used to. 

I get why Alaric was hesitant to trust Ted/The Necromancer, but Josie looked a bit hurt when Alaric was saying how people never change once they touch that kind of darkness. As much as I've loved the Necromancer as a bad guy, I hope that this is his last hurrah, its a good meaningful way for him to go out, with Ted sacrificing himself, and means we can finally move onto a new villain. 

It sucks that Ethan ended up needing to be mind wiped, I liked his friendship with MG so much, he was much more likable as MG's partner in crime solving than as a perspective love interest. They both just really needed someone to be friends with, but Ethan just didn't get quite what being a vampire would entail so it was not meant to be. Is this going to be the end of Mystic Falls high then? It seems like the lesson here is that getting normal people involved in the supernatural is dangerous to them and trying to pretend to be "normal" when you are very much not is never going to end the way you want, I can see this being the end of Ethan with MG, Josie, and Finch all coming to the Salvatore School. 

I am happy that Josie is happy, but Finch is really not an interesting love interest. She's probably her lamest love interest yet, even if the show is trying to play her as being the one she is the most into, even with the tragic werewolf backstory Finch is more of a clump of Cool Girl clichés instead of an actual person.  

• Love 3

"Landon" was definitely smiling waaaaaaaaaay too much these last few episodes. I prefer my Landon moody and sexy emo. And now that he probably knows how to fight since he's been killing monsters and shit for who knows how long, even better. 

• Love 1

Awwww Ethan and MG, my poor bromance heart is broken. They have been one of the best parts about this season. I am also hoping Ethan doesn’t become evil with him losing out on MGs friendship.

Too bad Cleo was the bad person in all of this. I liked her friendship with Hope. Interesting to see how Landon became an emo warrior. 

Finch and Josie- more FF material. I just don’t care.

• Love 1